• This topic has 6,282 replies, 176 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by kelvin.
Viewing 40 posts - 2,881 through 2,920 (of 6,291 total)
  • 2019 General Election
  • raybanwomble
    Free Member

And might I add – does the behavior of someone who threatens a shoe shop with a “Do you know who I am” letter just because they sold out of a pair of shoes, sound like the work of an astute level headed politician who believes in a kinder gentler politics – or a two bit Imelda Marcos susceptible to corrupt behavior?

cromolyolly
    Free Member

And qualifying as a social carer somehow makes you fit for the office of PM? Is being a bit of a “striver not a skivver” now what we hold as the prerequisites to become PM?

I don’t think it means anymore or any less than going to Eton, doing PPE at Oxbridge or Bscimed. It does mean she had the drive to do it on her own, with a child, to improve her chances and that of her child. That says a lot. I have way more respect for someone who goes back to school particularly as an adult, after being unsuccessful at the regular track.

Let me take a guess at what you think –

You couldn’t even begin to comprehend half the things I think, comrade.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

or a two bit Imelda Marcos susceptible to corrupt behavior?

That pretty much describes most of the house from Jacob Rees mogg on down. At least she’s done an actual job, worked at something useful.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

That pretty much describes most of the house from Jacob Rees mogg on down.

I agree with the Jacob Rees Mogg part, I do however believe that a sizable proportion of our MP’s are not actually corrupt individuals, a great deal of them have in actual fact not shown any proclivity towards abusing their position of power. Why can’t we choose a leader out of their ranks?

don’t think it means anymore or any less than going to Eton, doing PPE at Oxbridge or Bscimed. It does mean she had the drive to do it on her own, with a child, to improve her chances and that of her child. That says a lot. I have way more respect for someone who goes back to school particularly as an adult, after being unsuccessful at the regular track.

I agree with you to the extent that an Eton and Oxbridge education are not particularly useful when it comes to the world in which Britain now finds itself. I still want a PM who has evidenced a good grip of geopolitics though.

I am not convinced she is PM material – and without meaning to be rude to you cromolyolly, I think you’d have to be willfully blind to believe that 1) She’d win an election and 2) She’s the best qualified person in the Labour party to be PM. We’ll probably have to agree to disagree on this.

tjagain

MOst of the Westminster politicians are as corrupt as any caricature of a banana republic. Expenses cheating ( still at it on a huge scale) Second “jobs” that actually are bribes etc etc. almost universal on tory benches, common on the rest.

Its one reason for our dysfunctional system – the blatant corruption of most of them

Cooper – that again just shows how out of touch you are. Ghastly public persona. badly damaged by her association with previous labour administrations. Would be an enormous vote loser. Hated by large sections of the party.

Open your eyes man

tjagain

IIC cooper and Balls both bought houses on expenses and flipped them. Both of them ie they used expenses to get rich. corrupt as hell

tjagain
    edenvalleyboy
    Free Member

Problem with your Telegraph link is they are a Tory supporting paper being critical of opposition in a world where the media spin stories for their own gains.

It probably is true but highly likely not the way Telegraph writes its.

We choose to believe the narratives that fit our values and ideologies.

Even the Tories are now saying it’s ok to create misinformation – all part of the game.

Or is that just my narrative bias because I dislike the Tories?

cromolyolly
    Free Member

. Why can’t we choose a leader out of their ranks?

Depends what you mean exactly, but mostly because we the voters join the process too late and those that rise to the top of their parties don’t possess a great deal of those qualities. Presumably they are an impediment to getting to party leadership.

I am not convinced she is PM material – and without meaning to be rude to you cromolyolly, I think you’d have to be willfully blind to believe that 1) She’d win an election and 2) She’s the best qualified person in the Labour party to be PM. We’ll probably have to agree to disagree on this.

I don’t really have an opinion on that. Partly because she hasn’t really auditioned for the role. My point really was that none of the reasons you put forward for why she wouldn’t be any good didn’t really speak to any more than your personal prejudices. She is educated but not properly

I still want a PM who has evidenced a good grip of geopolitics though.

Whereas I don’t worry too much about that. A good leader knows what they know, and knows what they don’t know and recognises those who know more than they ever will and listens to them. That’s who I’d want for PM. Don’t give a hoot where they went to school or when or what they studied. Or if they even did at all, if they have other qualifications.

We had a guy running the country’s finances who didnt have much of a grasp of economics. Except he bought a horse paddock on taxpayers tab and trousered the profits while lecturing everyone else on belt tightening and austerity. So he was no fool. He was a complete **** though. No one ever questioned his qualifications.

ctk
    Free Member

The house thing is true about Balls and Cooper, and everything TJ says is correct imo. Also unforgivable is the way she through her tots out of the pram when she lost to Corbyn. So **** entitled!

perchypanther
    Free Member

she through her tots out of the pram

Social services shoudl be all over this.

stevextc
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner

Lots of people have busy lives.
    You can find time to inform yourself of current affairs, that’s what the radio is for.

Perhaps in your world people should find the cess pit that is politics interesting?
    Perhaps we should just force people to become fake interested? If they don’t want to engage we can build a wall to keep them in.. have some reeducation ?
    There are plenty of very well educated people who really have no interest in politics and from our perspective there is more important or at least more interesting shit …

Raybanwomble

All I have is a deep suspicion that something is grossly wrong with the way society is educated and that it’s evidenced by those who are deeply ambivalent towards it and who do not care for “experts”.

Well, quite possibly because the politicians who have no clue about anything but politics then try and jump on a bandwagon they can’t understand and treat something like science like politics.
    Al Gore is an example: His whole “inconvenient truth” is full of lies… the conclusion is more or less the same though but that’s politics? It doesn’t matter if he bends the truth or hides some data so long as the conclusions are the same?

jpprestige

The current education system is f***ed. I say this as someone who has taught at all levels, including the university sector, so this isn’t a layman’s opinion.

We’re still using a lightly modified version of an education system that was designed to suit the needs of industrial revolution era Britain. It’s completely unfit for purpose in the postmodern world.

In the big picture the education system has been undermined because it focuses on continually lowering standards and controlling learning to prevent kids from learning “too quickly” when they have to be kept in an education system doing busy work until 18.

binners

You can find time to inform yourself of current affairs, that’s what the radio is for.

Popmaster with Ken Bruce?

binners

Did anyone see the lib dems party political broadcast at the end of channel 4 news last night?

Dear god! It couldn’t possibly be any more Waitrose/mumsnet. Absolutely toe-curling

I’ve been trying to work out whey I find Jo Swinson so monumentally irritating. There are numerous reasons but the main one is that she speaks to people like a primary school teacher talks to a class of 4 year olds. She couldn’t actually be any more patronising.

stevextc
    Free Member

@kelvin
    Sorry you asked early (to paraphrase) what is it these Labour/Leave voters expect to be delivered “the day after”.

I’ve tried stating this … and it’s really quite simple but then it’s convenient to deny it exists.
    Some local FB page has had all the parties posting and I was reading the Labour one….
    Background: We voted remain quite convincingly.. our local Tory MP has voted with NRG and our LibDems seem better poised than Labour to unseat him.
    Rather satisfyingly the Tory post had a new asshole ripped…. comments are 95% negative.

So one of the remainers claiming to be traditional labour posted on the Labour post.
    She cannot bring herself to vote Tory (small blessings) … but she wrote an essay on the labour post. What I found interesting (or stood out) is why she finds it hard to vote LibDem…

But please don’t get me wrong, the Conservatives are strangling our economy, they are feeding us lies and false promises. They are selling off our resources for their own future personal gain. The NHS, the police force and the Fire service are all at risk with these people at the helm.
    I also have issues with the LibDem party and their derogatory way of making a women’s only manifesto. Okay some might believe it is good to highlight what is relevant to women only, what is good to young people, and what is good to disabled. But to me it is saying that The party donot feel that women, Young people and disabled are able to read the main manifesto and see for themselves what is good for them. Where is the men only manifesto?
    Unfortunately in this present climate I don’t feel there is a party that represents the nations needs or that can achieve anything that they are promising us.

Perhaps it’s partly my own bias but what I see is that people are objecting to being told what they can and can’t say/think and to use the “Political Correctness” argument (which is as good a terms as any)…and the above is written by a single mum (claimed) still living with parents because she can’t afford to move out.

rone

I’ve been trying to work out whey I find Jo Swinson so monumentally irritatin

She’s been over media-trained. Scripted. Not coming from the heart.

kelvin

Sorry you asked early (to paraphrase) what is it these Labour/Leave voters expect to be delivered “the day after”.

Not Labour voters. Low paid long hours voters who will vote based on wanting Brexit delivered. What is it that they expect Johnson to do for them once he has ‘got Brexit done’ in January?

“Political Correctness”

What-ever.

The straight white men brotherhood will inherit the earth one day, the poor things. On day politicians will listen to them and they will no longer be invisible, the poor things.

binners

What is it that they expect Johnson to do for them once he has ‘got Brexit done’ in January?

Is it something to do with Spitfires?

stevextc
    Free Member

kelvin

Not Labour voters. Low paid long hours voters who will vote based on wanting Brexit delivered. What is it that they expect Johnson to do for them once he has ‘got Brexit done’ in January?

The right to complain without being PC to issues they have been convinced about due to FB ads. (Is how I see it)

You might laugh or cry but this is the level they have the time or interest for.
    Some of these are quite plainly home goals…. lets deport all the NHS workers so we can all get appointments…. not to mention the financial loss… but all they know is they queued for hours to see a GP for 10 minutes and some of the people in front of them looked/sounded like immigrants.

slowoldman

I do however believe that a sizable proportion of our MP’s are not actually corrupt individuals, a great deal of them have in actual fact not shown any proclivity towards abusing their position of power. Why can’t we choose a leader out of their ranks?

Is it because they have more sense than ego?

stevextc
    Free Member

What-ever.

The straight white men brotherhood will inherit the earth one day, the poor things. On day politicians will listen to them and they will no longer be invisible, the poor things.

The woman taking exception to the LibDem women’s manifesto is … a woman (at least her profile pic is)
    She is also complaining about immigration into the borough by commuters … and our Tory councillors that are pushing studio and 1 bed hovels … and having been to several council meetings the Tory council leader is using political correctness to justify building 10 story apartments whilst claiming the LibDems and Labour councillors just want to see children out on the street at Christmas….

(If you really care I can find the webcast)

So my point really is your answer …

“The straight white men brotherhood will inherit the earth one day, the poor things.”

you are simply rolling out the PC shut it down….

My personal opinion is that this group have been misled… that an open discussion would have many change their minds over Brexit being some universal answer but PC answers are only confirming their impression that their wishes don’t count.

rone

Anyone done the lib-demo’s manifesto?

Awaiting Labours’ – rumour has it Magic Grandad is typing it out on a Royal Epoch – eh Binnery?

kelvin

The right to complain without being PC to issues they have been convinced about due to FB ads. (Is how I see it)

Who is stopping them being “un-PC”, and how will that change after January? Perhaps they just want people to like and love them, despite their lack of empathy for others, but it isn’t the EU silently judging them, is it? Even if it is… what changes for them after January? What do they think Johnson will do for them after he’s “got Brexit done”?

kelvin

Corbyn is up… sounds like he’s reading the words for the first time.

Must… pay… attention…

rone

Come on Kelvin – it doesn’t at all.

kelvin

Sorry, still not engaged the reality filters.

Every… sen… tence… is… br… zzzz.

AlexSimon
    stevextc
    Free Member

kelvin

Who is stopping them being “un-PC”, and how will that change after January? Perhaps they just want people to like and love them, despite their lack of empathy for others, but it isn’t the EU silently judging them, is it? Even if it is… what changed for them after January?

I don’t have a clue on their answers to 90% of those questions and they make no sense when you look deeper.
    I am just repeating what people say… and that this is a pattern I have recognised.

In this case (and one I agree with) the issue of immigration is about mostly white and probably slightly more male people moving into the area to commute to London that puts up house prices and our Tory council leaders obsession with building high rise studio flats.
    Both our LibDem and Labour councillors oppose this and when they both said in so many ways this will lead to slum housing the Tory councillor turned this into PC bingo….

rone

Sorry, still not engaged the reality filters.

Every… sen… tence… is… br… zzzz.

Told to talk like because of the non- speedy listeners in our society. Completely deliberate.

Just going through the manifesto – guess what – only one reference about looking into integrating independent schools. All that needless discussion on abolition from day one.

kerley
    Free Member

What do they think Johnson will do for them after he’s “got Brexit done”?

Make the country more prosperous and fulfill it’s potential
    Sort out the NHS
    Reduce immigration

That sort of stuff that he has been telling them he would do. Labour have also been telling them stuff that they would do and if you are not the sort of person to take more than 10 seconds to think about it, look into past behaviours etc,. then Johnson is the better bet as he is also getting Brexit done

RustySpanner

I thought he was very good. 🙂

Questions now…….

rone

State of Robert Peston – talking down the design of the launch set. Top journalism. Prick.

kelvin

Top journalism.

I remember plenty of journalists (and us) criticising the design of May’s sets. I’ve not seen this one. Not unusual for journalists to comment on such matters.

AlexSimon

I have to say – listening to Corbyn answer the questions live, he has so much information and personal experience to call on, compared to the waffle we hear from the conservatives.
    Coming across very well imo

Kryton57

Hmm as a working/ middle class individual I’m getting interested in these policies.   Time to understand them properly….

cinnamon_girl

All I have is a deep suspicion that something is grossly wrong with the way society is educated and that it’s evidenced by those who are deeply ambivalent towards it and who do not care for “experts”.

Tom – what and who do you man by “experts” ?

kelvin

the waffle we hear from the conservatives

It’s their job in this campaign to hide the details of their polices (despite the fact we can see them all around us, they are currently in charge, after all). It’s all obfuscation.

stevextc
    Free Member

cinnamon girl

what and who do you man by “experts” ?

It’s not what/who he means it’s the ethos as promogulated by Gove….the short answer is anyone that disagrees but deeper than that it is who governments/ministers/politicians choose to listen to and present themselves as “experts”.

I can’t comment on political or economics experts but I can comment on science and what is becoming increasingly popular are dumbed down narratives that ignore fact or established theory when inconvenient.

My impression is that the same is going on in politics and economics, I don’t know enough to understand the difference.

tjagain

Rayban
    Name me a single non corrupt mp

rone

I remember plenty of journalists (and us) criticising the design of May’s sets. I’ve not seen this one. Not unusual for journalists to comment on such matters.

Still doesn’t make it journalism just because it’s balanced.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,881 through 2,920 (of 6,291 total)

The topic ‘2019 General Election’ is closed to new replies.