• This topic has 6,282 replies, 176 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by kelvin.
Viewing 40 posts - 2,401 through 2,440 (of 6,291 total)
  • 2019 General Election
  • kerley
    Free Member

More difficult with the asian types though because they all look the same.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

I purely responded to your claim about there being no immigrants at cyb.

No you weren’t – no sensible person digs at minor details like that, not even TJ when he’s on form.

If you can’t tell who is and isn’t an immigrant, then either A) There aren’t any on the trail or B) There is no way you can assume that is what is driving increased trail use.

Every time I go into the cafe there – I never here anything but English and Welsh accents by the way. Shall we start a demographic poll at the top of the trails to satisfy racists like yourself, to see if it really is the immigrants that are clogging up the trails or just idiots with too much money?

kelvin

We really need a campaign to get more of those being loosely described as ‘immigrants’ into mountain biking, starting with trail centres.

dannyh
    Free Member

So, I hear there is an election on….

El-bent
    Free Member

A more likely outcome is that the drive to manage costs and effeciency is lost

Costs and efficiency? With Privatisation? Ha Ha. You sound like you still believe its a good idea from the 1980’s, when sensible people will have seen in the intervening years its been anything but.

Actual Privatisation has landed a killing blow on the ideology of privatisation.

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Costs and efficiency? With Privatisation? Ha Ha. You sound like you still believe its a good idea from the 1980’s, when sensible people will have seen in the intervening years its been anything but.

Actual Privatisation has landed a killing blow on the ideology of privatisation.

I think there are some rose-tinted glasses regarding public ownership on this thread. Remember BL for instance?

Public ownership tends to result in stupid bureaucracy, jobsworth employees and a backwards attitude towards change and innovation. I witnessed this firsthand when I worked in HE and managed staff who were remnants of LEA control, from the time that the university was a college of HE. They were universally awful in a thoroughly institutionalised way.

A friend of mine is currently working on a major project with the civil service. He comes from the tech sector and can’t believe how many barriers the civil service place in the way of seemingly simple decisions. I think a quote from Futurama sums it up:

“Don’t quote me regulations. I co-chaired the committee that reviewed the recommendation to revise the color of the book that regulation’s in… We kept it grey!”

Funnily enough, I’ve never been an advocate of privatisation, especially of natural monopolies like water, but I’m also pragmatic and sensible enough (unlike some on here) to see that nationalisation isn’t some sort of panacea.

JP

kelvin

Question:

Is Johnson’s bridge to Northern Island getting the same attention and criticism as Corbyn’s takeover of OpenReach to make it deliver the infrastructure we need across the UK?

nickc

Public ownership tends to result in stupid bureaucracy, jobsworth employees and a backwards attitude towards change and innovation.

No, these happen because of idiot people at the top of organisations, as pretty much anyone who’s ever worked in a large multinational can attest to, everything you describe of publicly owned is true of privately owned as well.

kelvin

Well, it’s true of OpenReach for sure.

boomerlives
    Free Member

This single policy could win the election. If it doesn’t, then people are even more stupid than I thought.

I thought it was the least thought out, most ridiculous notion I had ever heard. I couldn’t believe anyone could fall for such tosh; clearly designed to distract from real policy.

But there you are.

slackalice
    Free Member

Services need to be in the public interest for them to be in state/public ownership, end of. For which I would decree that utilities and transport (rail, bus/coach) are brought under the public ownership banner first.

Someone above cited British Leyland and there are two key reasons why nationalising the British car manufacturing industry was a bad idea: Firstly, shite management – people promoted to levels of incompetence which is still endemic in business and commerce today. Secondly, the British work ethic, it’s pants and still is, it’s all about minimum input for maximum output. Both of these conspired at a time when the unions were also quite militant and created a toxic brew.

I’m not sure about bringing the monopoly that is BT under public ownership, I’m not sure what that would achieve apart from letting the private investors off the hook. Let them pay.

As for Royal Mail, bunch of **** wits, they completely missed the boat with email 20+ years ago and then spent years trying to compete by making first class mail unviably cheap. ****.

Can’t remember what else Labour are suggesting for nationalisation but I do believe that a good economy would have a healthy mix of private and state owned services, whereby the state ones are, as I said earlier, in the public interest to do so.

binners

The Observers latest polling today has the Tory’s with a 16 point lead over Labour

A quite staggering achievement by Grandad and the assorted gaggle of clueless, voter-repelling muppets around him

kelvin

‪Accidental Partridge…‬

ctk
    Free Member

Surely that must be a deliberate Partridge

LOLZ/TEARS

kelvin

I’m not sharing any more of the interview, as I want people voting Labour. The “do you want the UK to Leave the EU” question and ‘answer’ section was particularly painful to watch.

boomerlives
    Free Member

That you double down on your stupidity is rather telling.
    You utter retard.

Watch out! The politics of inclusion is here!

Which side is called the Nasty party? I’ve forgotten….

kelvin

Snowflake.

benv
    Free Member

Secondly, the British work ethic, it’s pants and still is, it’s all about minimum input for maximum output.

Perhaps if the notion of a fair days pay for a fair days work backed up with fairness in every other aspect wasn’t so alien to many UK companies, then the workforce would be more invested in the companies they work for.

martinhutch

You utter retard

Kinder,gentler, politics coming through a bit there.

kelvin

It’s not pretty, is it. Focus on something else.

Gowrie
    Free Member

Can’t remember what else Labour are suggesting for nationalisation but I do believe that a good economy would have a healthy mix of private and state owned services, whereby the state ones are, as I said earlier, in the public interest to do so.

You know, I agree with you there. But before I went around taking anything else into public ownership, I’d like to see the state make a success of the bits they already control. The utilities may not be perfect but they’ll do as they are. Social care, parts of the health service, roads, policing,etc etc all need a lot more spent on them before we start taking anything else into public ownership.

cyclelife
    Free Member

I’ve never seen anyone from the North Western subcontinent of India at CyB?

matt_outandabout

I spent last night next to our MP, Conservative Steven Kerr of Stirling watching a kids music orchestra. The kids were great, he less so.
    Thankfully he didn’t ask how I was voting, and I didn’t have the bottle to ask him his plans post election.
    (we had less than 200 votes in it last time, and SNP are going to get it this time)

kelvin

Social care, parts of the health service, roads, policing,etc etc all need a lot more spent on them before we start taking anything else into public ownership.

Social care is mostly privately supplied, at the moment, no? Are you suggesting nationalisation there, or more state owned providers competing against the private providers, or simply putting more money into the private provision? It’s a tough area to sort.

The OpenReach thing is about sorting out infrastructure that the country needs for economic reasons, not just social ones. It’ll cost the government to do it, but it’ll cost the country not to do it.

Gowrie
    Free Member

Dazh talking about free broadband :-

This single policy could win the election. If it doesn’t, then people are even more stupid than I thought.

Its people like me Labour should be targeting if they want to gain in the forthcoming election. I’m firmly remain at heart, strongly resent both the direction of the Conservative party and Boris’s role in swinging the referendum result to leave. I’m a socially liberal, economically conservative, globalist, centre right voter. But I now have nobody to vote for, other than reluctantly voting Lib Dem. A labour party led by someone as radical as Corbyn with so many anti business policies and foolish nationalisation plans is a total anathema to me. Saving £30 a month on my bills isn’t going to make a difference. Whereas I might well have held my nose and voted Labour if it was something like it was in the Blairite years.

Gowrie
    Free Member

Social care is in large part funded by local government is it not. It clearly needs more funding, I think the private sector is perfectly capable of providing the care, but it has to be paid for, for those who can’t afford to pay for it themselves.
    I take you point about a lack of infrastructure for broadband provision – although I think some here are overstaing the problem. But looking at the state of the roads as an example, I’ve no confidence that taking it into public ownership is going to help at all.

mattyfez

I suppose that highlights another issue for with the UK system, central government can selectively cut local council funding, then blame local councils for not making good use of the money.

That seems to be a popular tory trick.

My old man keeps banging on about sadiq Khan in London about knife crime and his failure to deal with it, whilst conveniently forgetting slashed budget’s from the government.

kelvin

But looking at the state of the roads as an example, I’ve no confidence that taking it into public ownership is going to help at all.

Broadband roll out also has lots of public money already going into it. That’s the thing, for so many services there is a different mix of public funding with private provision that may or may not work. With OpenReach, a near monopoly private provider, that takes public money, isn’t delivering what the country requires to play a leading role… but for so many people it is just a knee jerk reaction that taking it into full public ownership and control must be a “bad thing”, where, objectively, that might not be the case in this instance.

As a counterpoint to “roads”, I’d give you “Corrilian”. But as it happens, I personally approve of the idea of additional roads being built and maintained privately, and a toll charged.

There are plenty of other areas Labour have been taking the wrong approach about ownership of companies, for me, but I strongly suspect they might be dropped on Thursday.

AlexSimon

My old man keeps banging on about sadiq Khan in London about knife crime and his failure to deal with it, whilst conveniently forgetting slashed budget’s from the government.

It’s ok – the Tories have swept in with a genius plan to put knife crime advice on takeaway chicken boxes

kelvin

And promising that they’ll fund the huge cost of training some new police recruits to replace some of the experienced staff they’ve been getting rid of.

Oh, but Scotland didn’t make the cuts to Police Numbers the Tories did in England and Wales. Let’s compare London & Glasgow for knife crime increases… shall we…

All these Conservative Party pledges to either undo the damage they’ve done, or to do what they promised in the last few elections but still haven’t delivered on, assume we have the memory of Goldfish.

Gowrie
    Free Member

Kelvin
    In my opinion, the problem with many areas of capitalism today is not that they are inherently bad or inefficient but that new business methods and network effects, partly related to globalisation but also related to new technology have meant the the systems of control that worked for most of a century are now outdated and can easily be circumnavigated by the likes of Amazon, for example. So build new regulations and controls, that work for society overall in today’s technological and geopolitical situation, without unnecessarily constraining the businesses or their profit seeking aims. The last few governments have been very bad at that, Labour’s solution seems to try to destroy capitalism. That’s not whats required – without capitalism we might all be a lot more equal but we would all be a lot poorer – I can’t recall exactly who, but it was an Indian economist who once said – ” Grinding poverty is perpetually sustainable.” And without capitalism, we’d all be grindingly poor.

Del

There’s an awful lot you could do with ofcom to get openreach to sort their shit out, without the expense of re-nationalisation. They’d whinge like stuck pigs, obviously, but a private operations primary responsibility is to it’s shareholders. Put the legislation in place and the shareholders will have to suck it up.
    As for this being a policy that could win them the election – hahaha!

kelvin

without unnecessarily constraining the businesses or their profit seeking aims

Go on… we have a monopoly private provider (created by the state) failing to supply the country with what it needs. It obviously has constraints put in place already, and they are not working. Why is it impossible that the best next move might be to take back full control and ownership of it?

Public provision of proper connections will help capitalism, especially new entrants, smaller operators, and geographically left out areas, make huge gains. The state providing infrastructure that private individuals and companies can make use of isn’t a new idea here, or elsewhere.

Gowrie
    Free Member

Its not impossible, but as Del says, its not necessary. And the evidence suggests ultimately it would be worse.

binners

If you want to see the effect of this type of policy they’re proposing for the police, then watch the recent documentary ‘Crime and Punishment’ on channel 4

It’s a genuinely shocking and honest portrayal of the shambles that is the present UK prison system. They got rid of thousands of experienced prison officers and are now, as the entire system has collapsed into total chaos, desperately recruiting anyone who’ll do the job. On hugely reduced salaries, with virtually no training, obviously

Tory attitude in a nutshell. They know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

kelvin

Perhaps Del is wrong. Perhaps experience shows us that sometimes regulating and subsidising a monopoly private provider isn’t always the best approach.

dazh

Whereas I might well have held my nose and voted Labour if it was something like it was in the Blairite years.

You may want a nice friendly face to put some shine on the failed policies of neo-liberalism, but some of us want rid of it.

Labour’s solution seems to try to destroy capitalism.

FFS. Labour is not proposing to destroy capitalism. Neither am I or any of the other pro-labour voices here. They’re merely wanting to make it work for the people at large rather than a tiny few people at the top. We’ve had 40 years of politicians and economists telling us there is only one way, that people have forgotten that there is a different way of doing it.

molgrips
    Free Member

A labour party led by someone as radical as Corbyn with so many anti business policies

What anti-business policies?

Most of the policies I can see are to the benefit of everyone, businesses, and the people who work for those businesses. Businesses are made of ordinary people, and when people’s lives are better and easier they will be more productive. When the infrastructure is in place and works well business will run better. When employees have a stake in a business they run better.

Any idiot knows that people need a strong economy. Corbyn knows this and McDonnell certainly does. But letting fat cats skim all the profits off the top and **** the rest of us is NOT pro-business, it’s pro-rich people. Big difference.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

You utter retard.

That’s the kind of language a racist would use 🙂

kelvin

OpenReach no longer being a “business” may well prove to be in the interest of thousands of other existing and new businesses, and those who work for them.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,401 through 2,440 (of 6,291 total)

The topic ‘2019 General Election’ is closed to new replies.