• This topic has 6,282 replies, 176 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by kelvin.
Viewing 40 posts - 2,241 through 2,280 (of 6,291 total)
  • 2019 General Election
  • dazh

that require a level of critical thinking that isn’t imparted on people who leave school at 16.

Don’t hold back on exposing your deep-seated prejudices. I suppose the fact that Angela Rayner grew up in a very troubled environment and still rose to top is immaterial. She’s just a bit thick isn’t she cos she didn’t get straight As in her GCSEs despite having a kid at 16?

Trump is poorly educated, look at the brilliant foreign policy decisions he has made.

Trump inherited millions from his family. Are you seriously trying to compare Angela Rayner to Donald Trump?

raybanwomble
    Free Member

So one is thick because he came from a posh background and one is clearly bright and fit to lead because she got to where she was coming from a comprehensive background?

That is a very, very weird cognitive bias/fallacious argument – an argument from authority as long as they are from your own social background.

Rayner grew up in a very troubled environment and still rose to top is immaterial.

Yes it is, it’s been shown time and time again that politicians can rise to the top irrespective of ability – for various reasons, including blind luck, appeal to their voters base, cronyism etc.

Why Rayner instead of Cooper? I’m going to go out on a limb and say it’s not because Rayner is genuinely more qualified for the role than Cooper, it’s because Rayner becoming PM would make you feel validated. After all DazH, you have been very sure of your opinions in the past and the character of elitist middle class remainers, what better way to be sure that your world view is the correct one than have someone more like yourself in a position of power? No more feeling humiliated as an undervalued Northerner hey?

raybanwomble
    Free Member

vs

Who is more likely to put Labour in power? And do you seriously think the former is more qualified than the latter?

vazaha

The ‘kid’ is making a fundamental mistake about the nature of a representative democracy, that his no doubt hero Churchill could put him straight upon.

The Referendum has no place within it.

But another one is going to be the only way out of this impasse if the Commons ends up as clogged as it was before it dissolved itself, and even then it’s a big ask.

Spain has just had its fourth General Election in as many years – we are not ‘special’.

rone

Looks like Tories are readying their ground-breaking campaign with … tax cuts (stealth tax increases).

Same old. Bet on a Tory get a Tory.

kerley
    Free Member

Why are people talking about fibre broadband in 10 years time? 6G will be around then and is clearly a much easier thing to offer everyone than putting fibres to every single house.

kerley
    Free Member

Spain has just had its fourth General Election in as many years – we are not ‘special’.

It is the failing of a system where one party has to get a majority rather than accept that people want different things and should be representated by many parties working together.

Why should I have to endure a Tory party because 40% of voters wanted one, likewise why should a Tory have to endure a Labour party. We need a combination of both who would by default be more centrist and they would have to work together and come to compromised policies.

rone

Why are people talking about fibre broadband in 10 years time? 6G will be around then and is clearly a much easier thing to offer everyone than putting fibres to every single house.

I expect there will be an evolution of sorts. I don’t think you can nail something down such as 6G that isn’t quite tangible currently.

martinhutch

Trump is poorly educated, look at the brilliant foreign policy decisions he has made.

No, Trump had the best education money can buy. He’s just dumb as a rock.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Looks like Tories are readying their ground-breaking campaign with … tax cuts

Libdems are offering a 1p income tax increase. Should be popular with a lot of people including me.

This.

binners

Surely the last few years have proved the most damning indictment imaginable on the whole public school system.

We’re all in this mess as a direct result of the spawn of the most expensive education money can buy

Being able to pepper your statements with Latin doesn’t really make up for driving a countries economy off a cliff, does it?

molgrips
    Free Member

6G might be around but probably so will gigabit fibre. Probably using the same cables we have now I’d guess. Gigabit fibre is possible now using the same FTTP tech I think. In a decade it could be multi-gigabit.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Why are people talking about fibre broadband in 10 years time? 6G will be around then and is clearly a much easier thing to offer everyone than putting fibres to every single house

Because the British have a penchant for ridiculously overpriced boondoggles that are obsolescent or have serious flaws upon introduction. See NHS IT systems, Eurofighter Typhoon, various rail projects, the Type 45 destroyers.

kerley
    Free Member

6G might be around but probably so will gigabit fibre.

Yep, but what is easier to install to every house? And what is easier to keep up to date as new faster technology arrives?

molgrips
    Free Member

Yep, but what is easier to install to every house?

There’ll be a mix. I don’t think that Labour’s policy is a concrete plan to specifically put fibre to every single farmhouse. Obviously, if it ever gets put into operation there’ll be a plan that’ll reveal it’s more effective to put in 6 3/4 G in to remote cottages than to run fibre.

You lot keep getting quite worked up over hypotheticals.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Cables are 90 odd% of the time better than wireless. Renationalising companies however is something that is taking a dark path of forced sale and not effective. If we had kept BT nationalised in the 80s and reformed it then yes it could work but we have taken a different path and trying to jump the company back to that model would be damaging to BT / open reach and the country’s image as a whole. After Brexit the last thing we need is to make the country look even more politically unstable.

1p on income tax? Sounds fine if it is across the board. More stable tax take, raises more money than adding more tax on “top earners”*, less of the it’s other responsibility to pay for xyz.

*To achieve a good extra amount of money from top earners a significant tax increase is needed on them and quite a few people who may be doing well but are not some sort of company owning mega rich get caught fueling a us and them mentality. Of course that’s what some people want to achieve..

kelvin

Why do you think 6G will be either easier or cheaper than installing fibre? And which version of it have you been looking at that doesn’t rely on fibre already being in place up to a certain point? And why can’t we catch up with other countries and get fast stable connections to people ASAP? And will this amazing 6G really get to “everybody” or just major cities (and then only to those prepared and able to pay through the nose for it)?

rone

I heard two Brexit gammon idiots (sorry but I was outnumbered) talking about the ‘cost’ of this and what it will do to the poor pensioner’s pension funds this morning.

I pointed out to them they will probably benefit in lots of tangible ways not least by the fact that BT’s share price had more than halved in the last two years … Hardly a support for a market economy is it?

franksinatra

I suppose the fact that Angela Rayner grew up in a very troubled environment and still rose to top is immaterial. She’s just a bit thick isn’t she cos she didn’t get straight As in her GCSEs despite having a kid at 16?

Tosh

I know nothing about her background at all, in this context it doesn’t matter. She is thick as she doesn’t know the very basic facts relating to the policy that she is promoting. For a campaigning politician, that is simply not good enough.

Don’t forget, everyone campaigning for election is going through a public interview for an £79k p/a job. If you were recruiting at work for that post, would you appoint someone who knew so little about their core subject matter?

kelvin

Well she knows plenty about what Sure Start centres can do. Many of our politicians have no experience of the lives of people born further down the economic pecking order. Not sure she’s PM material either, but I wouldn’t rule her out of other roles just because she didn’t get through school. I have a relative that was heavily involved at Stockport College, which she attended, and giving people a second chance at further education is exactly what it aims to do.

franksinatra

What do you no?

I know/no how to get a sneaky edit in when I spot my own typo!

stevextc
    Free Member

Probably the only time using authority is justified. Positive discrimination works. When you have had centuries of ingrained institutional and cultural bias, it won’t change by accident, it has to be forced.

Only it never is the only time.
    30 years after East Germans were allowed to leave … after decades of what they could and couldn’t say and do because it all turned out they had to be forced.

The irony being the reason the BXP took so many Labour votes is because many feel like they are being forced to accept things rather than being involved and convinced. It’s ironic because the BXP only has to listen without calling them racist, homophobic or anything except nationalist

It’s even more ironic because we have a very small percentage of immigrants who actually contribute positively to the economy…. but many are simply sick of the special pleading and refusal to discuss real issues or concerns (many of which are actually false, others just exaggerated) … because instead they are shut out of debate.

It astounds me that Labour haven’t elected a female leader yet… but telling the people sick of being given choices set by political agenda won’t make them feel included. (and that includes many women and ethnic groups)

scotroutes

Do we care about last night’s local election results? Low turnout/local issues but I wondered if there was anything we could infer. Rhos seemed particularly interesting.

kelvin

but many are simply sick of the special pleading and refusal to discuss real issues or concerns

Ahh… you’re one of those.

Well done for not using the phrase “political correctness”.

Rhos seemed particularly interesting.

Perhaps the armchair psephologists might think again about the deal that the remain parties have made with each other only benefiting the LibDems.

outofbreath
    Free Member

1p on income tax? Sounds fine if it is across the board. More stable tax take, raises more money than adding more tax on “top earners”*, less of the it’s other responsibility to pay for xyz.

*To achieve a good extra amount of money from top earners a significant tax increase is needed on them and quite a few people who may be doing well but are not some sort of company owning mega rich get caught fueling a us and them mentality. Of course that’s what some people want to achieve..

They said it’s across the board [1] and I like it for the all the same reasons as you do. Plus if they tax PAYE wage slaves like me they may actually collect some revenue because I can’t easily dodge it. If it doesn’t collect much revenue (possible since people on the LC threads claim the revenue curve is flat-ish for income tax) they can just drop it back.

[1] Mind you I can’t find any written source for any of this.

dannyh
    Free Member

We’re not even world class when it comes to being chaotic and totally rubbish.

scotroutes

They said it’s across the board

Hopefully accompanied by a decent hike in tax-free allowance

sobriety
    Free Member

Anyone listening/reading Johnson on radio 5?

I’m trying to read it, but it’s just such utter bullshit, and it should be obviously such to anyone with more than a couple of Brain Cells to rub together,

dazh

what better way to be sure that your world view is the correct one than have someone more like yourself in a position of power?

Well I’m pretty sure that someone who actually knows and has experienced what people at the bottom have to put up with would be better placed to run the country than someone who puts his **** into a dead pigs head to impress his mates at an upper class party.

And yeah, I am more like Rayner than Boris and very proud of it. Obviously the main thing you miss out on by not going to public school is the lesson in knowing your place.

kelvin

Worth remembering that pig head story was made up by the same team that brought you Brexit, as part of their aim of transforming the Tory party for their own purposes.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s even more ironic because we have a very small percentage of immigrants who actually contribute positively to the economy

Wait, what?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

State run ISP?

What could possibly go wrong…

outofbreath
    Free Member

Hopefully accompanied by a decent hike in tax-free allowance

Dunno, I expect (but don’t know) that a decent hike in tax-free allowance would hit revenue so if they are proposing that it *could* be a mistake.

lunge

It’s even more ironic because we have a very small percentage of immigrants who actually contribute positively to the economy

Err, you sure about that? As I seem to remember that immigrants are a huge net contributor to the economy. I guess it could be that 5% contribute enough to make up for 95% who don’t but I can’t see that myself.

fatoldgit

I’m going to give the benefit of doubt here and suggest this statement is simply missing a punctuation mark ( or 2 )
    It reads very different when inserted

It’s even more ironic because we have a very small percentage of immigrants.

Who actually contribute positively to the economy.

kelvin

I think that was the point… he was saying that immigration is not “out of control” and that immigrants are a net benefit… but also saying that those who have been saying this, rather than “listening” to those who think and say otherwise, are the real problem. We’ve heard that argument many times before… “these people are wrong and prejudiced but how dare politicians say they are, or do anything to counter the problems of racism, sexism, homophobia, xenophobia in our country… it makes them look out of touch”.

Politicians have been “listening” to those blaming immigrants forever… it’s just that some (most now?) will use that experience to try and win the votes of those that think that way, and some (few now?) will try and change their minds.

> insert red “controls on immigration” mug img here <

kimbers

Labour wont get a majority so this is all a bit irrelevant
    or not…….

Ed Milibands commie energy price cap became law

Labours minimum wage is now touted by the Tories

Banning private schools, has led to serious proposals about revoking charity status

Renationalisation of public services is not as daft as it sounds, especially when things like water bills are mostly now paying off the debt the investment firms ran up to buy the franchise

even in opposition labour can effect some change, admittedly we have to put up with grinding Tory austerity & a the divisive poison of Johnsons hard brexit

stevextc
    Free Member

Ahh… you’re one of those.

Well done for not using the phrase “political correctness”.

I don’t know if I am …. but I know plenty who are. It most certainly wouldn’t make me vote for Farage… (and my OH is an immigrant)

It really doesn’t matter what it’s called though or if their complaint is actually true if the matter can’t be discussed then it can never be resolved.

Do you remember that woman of Asian decent and her kid being told “this is England speak English”? The one in Wales where she was speaking Welsh? What I am saying is IMHO how we could possibly get to that.

Do you remember the another one? The woman who apparently was forced to remove her pottery pigs from her window-sill? I don’t know if this was even actually TRUE…. but you know what, it doesn’t matter because a whole load of people were keen to insist she was racist.
    .. and guess who won? The trash papers getting per click/comment revenue.

There also was that whole 2015 inclusiveness report (albeit commissioned by Tory’s) but with findings supported by Chuka Umunna that got buried because it was “racist”.

and … FFS Corbyn is being accused of racism (under a guise of calling it anti-semetism)

outofbreath
    Free Member

Ed Milibands commie energy price cap became law

T’was a stupid idea then, it’s a stupid idea now.

Labours minimum wage is now touted by the Tories

T’was a good idea then, it’s a good idea now. I was deffo an opponent of the minimum wage back in the day, if it have been explained me that without a minimum wage we were we actually subsidising jobs with in work benefits (and importing labour to do the fake jobs) I’d have had a very different view on it.

I’m going to give the benefit of doubt here and suggest this statement is simply missing a punctuation mark ( or 2 )
    It reads very different when inserted

It’s even more ironic because we have a very small percentage of immigrants.

Who actually contribute positively to the economy.

Seems pretty obvious to me that’s what he meant.

kelvin

if the matter can’t be discussed

If by “can’t be discussed” you mean “dominate public debate, the media and our politics in general”, then carry on.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,241 through 2,280 (of 6,291 total)

The topic ‘2019 General Election’ is closed to new replies.