• This topic has 6,282 replies, 176 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by kelvin.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,561 through 1,600 (of 6,291 total)
  • 2019 General Election
  • outofbreath
    Free Member

Dunno it’s complex. With an alliance you’re effectively saying ‘our best attribute is that we’re not them’ which isn’t exactly positive campaigning.

This plus a load of other reasons which is why Labour rules prohibit it. Tories won’t do a deal with the BP and Labour won’t deal either & personally I think they’ve both got it right.

For the smaller parties it’s a good tactic though AFAIC, mind you if you won a seat because other parties stood down that leaves a really dodgy looking mandate.

To be fair to the Lib Dems Dazh, this is how elections work…You try to persuade people to vote for you.

This.

If you’re looking for parties who aren’t pulling their weight in the effort to beat the tories, it’s pretty obvious who they are.

Bollocks, without SNP and the LibDems there wouldn’t even be an election. If Labour had their way the Torys would be in Government indefinitely, or rather until after Brexit happened.

mattyfez

Nicola Sturgeon:

“If there is a hung Parliament after this election… SNP MPs would seek to form a progressive alliance to lock the Tories out of government.”

dazh

this is how elections work…

By pubishing misleading data and outright lies in an effort to con the electorate? You’re right yes, skullduggery has always been a feature of election campaigns, and it’s certainly nothing new for the lib dems. But seen in the context of Matty’s comment that every party should be doing their best to keep the tories out, that’s clearly not what the lib dems are doing.

I’m all for politicians persuading people to vote for them. I’ve said more times than I can remember that parties should be judged on their policies, past records and their honesty. The lib dems are failing miserably on all 3 of these aspects in this campaign.

filibuster
    Free Member

Looking in from afar both the cons and labour look like they are imploding….

MP quit because of anti semitic remarks.

Tory candidate quits because of rape comments.

Deputy of Labour gone…

If these people can’t seemingly run a party how are they to be trusted to run the country….

I need to register to vote as I’m out of the UK. Where does my vote go/get counted? The last place I was registered in the UK?

boomerlives
    Free Member

a complete no brainer

Except it would be against a lot of the key labour areas who had the clearest leave vote in the Ref

See previous pages ad nauseum for details

every party should be doing their best to keep the tories out

In fairness, that’s what the tories are doing and it’s working out very well for them

outofbreath
    Free Member

“If there is a hung Parliament after this election… SNP MPs would seek to form a progressive alliance to lock the Tories out of government.”

Given the Tories’ profligate spending commitments are nearly as mental as Labour’s I’d welcome a coalition government lead by the SNP with a revoke policy dictated by the LibDems. (Fantasy, I know.)

Weird though, I thought the ‘threat’ of an SNP/Labour coalition was a vote loser for both.

boomerlives
    Free Member

Tories profligate spending commitments

Pennies compared to the barmy Green policies!

nickc

By pubishing misleading data and outright lies in an effort to con the electorate?

Have you cast a critical eye over McDonald’s spending “plans” by any chance? I wouldn’t be making sweeping statements about misleading data and lies this early in the campaign. It’s not any other parties (including the one we both support) aren’t shy of telling the odd porky themselves…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

In amongst all the Labour PPCs having to excuse themselves from the process, there’s this gem from LibDemLand;

Won’t somebody think of the tartiflette?

dazh

It’s not any other parties (including the one we both support) aren’t shy of telling the odd porky themselves…

Not claiming labour are squeaky clean, they can and do play dirty to when required. There’s a big difference though between fabricating and misrepresenting poll data and overly optimistic economic forecasts.

mattyfez

By pubishing misleading data and outright lies in an effort to con the electorate?

Like labour you mean?

Labour have the gall to complain about LibDem bar charts.

Deliberately misleading to treat all borrowing as current currency values (a 2010 GBP is worth £1.27 in 2019 GBP; a 1997 GBP is £1.80 in 2019 GBP).

In the last 33 years there have only been 13 years of Labour government.

“All Labour governments in the past 33 years” is not the same as “33 years of Labour government”

It’s actually a way of saying “The Blair/Brown government”.

Which was only 13 years.

stevextc
    Free Member

Not claiming labour are squeaky clean, they can and do play dirty to when required. There’s a big difference though between fabricating and misrepresenting poll data and overly optimistic economic forecasts.

Umm…. yeah but I don’t think in the manner in which you mean.

Who gives a toss over poll. data that is already deliberately biased according to who pays….vs fabricating economic forcasts and models… ?

“will the UK be better economically under a deal than in the EU?”
    answer (sic)
    “um, I’m just a shadow chancellor… we will have to ask the people”

antigee

libuster

…..I need to register to vote as I’m out of the UK. Where does my vote go/get counted? The last place I was registered in the UK?

provided in time frame allowed yes….5 mins on line if have passport handy unless you lived in NI and that is by post only. Then have to register with the council for either post or proxy vote using an email link when app’ to vote confirmed…I currently have a postal vote but seen suggestions need to swop to proxy as local authorities havn’t got much time to post out ballot papers and probably won’t get in time to return

molgrips
    Free Member

Who gives a toss over poll. data that is already deliberately biased according to who pays

Bit of an allegation that – got any evidence?

willard

Molgrips,

If you write the questions, you can skew the results. Using phrases like “Thinking of X, do you agree that Y… ” can steer people into agreeing with the question.

http://www.charneyresearch.com/resources/the-top-10-ways-to-get-misleading-poll-results/

https://www.surveymonkey.com/mp/5-common-survey-mistakes-ruin-your-data/

Thos are just the top 2 i found.

kimbers
    kimbers

kimbers

double digit falls for Labour everywhere

it doesnt matter how clueless drunken uncle Bozo rambles on about the NI border he doesnt understand

molgrips
    Free Member

If you write the questions, you can skew the results. Using phrases like “Thinking of X, do you agree that Y… ” can steer people into agreeing with the question.

Of course, this is clear. But you’re saying that they deliberately choose leading questions depending on who’s paying for the poll. That’s the big claim you’ve made, where’s the evidence for that?

A good pollster would carefully choose questions that avoid this issue. You’re saying they’re all basically bent.

kimbers

kimbers

kimbers

ferrals
    Free Member

Pretty consistetnt picture there. However, how it plays out on a constituency by constituency basis will give very different answers and also there is plenty of time for peopel to change their mind. I image at this stage people are mor elikely to say who they would like to vote for, but by the end tactical voting will com into play and they mmay vore elsewhere

sobriety
    Free Member

@Kimbers

How come they add up to 100%, without a column for “all others”?

For example my local MP was Labour and is now an independent, I’ll likely vote for him as I believe the two and a half party system has basically broken the design of our form of democracy, and that there should be far more independent MPs than there are, although I’ll need to look at the detailed projections in a few weeks to make sure that I’m not enabling the Tories by voting for him.

If that’s the case then I’ll hold my nose and vote for whoever isn’t a Tory who has the best chance of winning, just the thought of which is making me feel dirty inside.

outofbreath
    Free Member

EDIT: Pointless comment given the analysis below.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Thanks Kimbers, “polling, carried out between 17 October and 4 November”. Really doesn’t tell us much.

rone

They’re all You-Gov.

You need the aggregate poll to really make sense of things.

It’s a comparison between regions back in 2017 and currently. Not last week and this week OOB. And no it’s I don’t think it correlates to spending – that after all would be a good thing.

Though it’s still interesting.

outofbreath
    Free Member

spending – after all would be a good thing.

Interest on debt is our 6th biggest public spending item at 39bn. Where do you think voters would like to see it? 1st? 3rd?

For a party that doesn’t like wealthy bankers it’s seems a bit odd to give them even more than the current 39bn a year – 9bn a year MORE than we spend on social services.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_national_debt

stevextc
    Free Member

Of course, this is clear. But you’re saying that they deliberately choose leading questions depending on who’s paying for the poll. That’s the big claim you’ve made, where’s the evidence for that?

A good pollster would carefully choose questions that avoid this issue. You’re saying they’re all basically bent.

That was my post …. but I agree with willard’s reply….
    Is it bent to get the answer you’re being paid for?
    Dunno…. I feel its ‘more bent’ to pay for an answer than provide the answer you’re paid to deliver???

stevextc
    Free Member

Interest on debt is our 6th biggest public spending item at 39bn. Where do you think voters would like to see it? 1st? 3rd?

For a party that doesn’t like wealthy bankers it’s seems a bit odd to give them even more than the current 39bn a year – 9bn a year MORE than we spend on social services.

but if we spend more it increases our GDP ….surely we just need to spend more and more?

molgrips
    Free Member

Is it bent to get the answer you’re being paid for?

Yes, when you’re claiming to be polling actual voting intention. I do not think they are paid to produce campaign advertising material, tbh. If so, the answers would be rather different I’d imagine, or Labour would be asking for their money back.

So, I’m on http://www.electionpolling.co.uk/swingometer/uk-parliament, and putting the latest YouGov figures (from the Guardian) into it gives a Tory majority of 30, still no Brexit party seats and only 12 LD seats.

Many of us tried to say that Labour coming off the fence for remain would damage their polling – looks like that is happening even with the 2nd ref promise.

scotroutes

From that YouGov poll (so, boo) and might be out of date (boo again) but a good sample size (so, yay)

slowoldman

Brilliant isn’t it? Tory share of votes down, Tory seats up.

Hands up who voted against voting reform?

scotroutes

Hands up who voted against voting reform

At least 100 Labour MPs

outofbreath
    Free Member

but if we spend more it increases our GDP ….surely we just need to spend more and more?

Of course, I’d forgotten that fact, thanks for the reminder. ….and that explains why every single country in the world has now become phenomenally wealthy simply by borrowing more and more in an endless virtuous cycle of debt leading to growth.

Oh, hang on…

dazh

If those polls above are right then all but a tiny few of us are f*****! And we’ll deserve it. Lets hope they’re wrong. Although I watched the labour rally in Manchester last night and came to the strong conclusion that Angela Rayner will be the next labour leader.  That might be the only silver lining.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,561 through 1,600 (of 6,291 total)

The topic ‘2019 General Election’ is closed to new replies.