• This topic has 6,282 replies, 176 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by kelvin.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,201 through 1,240 (of 6,291 total)
  • 2019 General Election
  • tjagain

Tories also on the defensive over Russian money and the hiding of the report on russian interference in 2016.

I bet this report gets leaked at some point

bazzer
    Free Member

@tjagain are you ignoring my question because you have realised you are wrong or did you just miss it?

tjagain

NOpe – I think thats a bit of futile debate and I wanted this thread to move on. I suggest to you like I did with OOB that you read up on the policy to understand it.

There are multiple ways that the shares to workers can be done. Companies will be able to chose whichever method makes the most sense to them

boomerlives
    Free Member

I admire the certainty of tj’s belief in Labour, but question the reality of it

If voting LD would hand victory to the Tories, why don’t Labour stand for Remain?

Is it because a large swathe of the blue collar ground in support they rely on are strongly pro-Brexit?

Is that the skeleton in the cupboard that Corb’s vacillating is hiding?

outofbreath
    Free Member

There are multiple ways that the shares to workers can be done.

The way you suggested was with a ‘buy back’.

Bazzer was asking: Where would the money for this buyback come from then?

It’s a reasonable question you could answer with a one word answer. Quicker to answer it than to duck it.

kiksy
    Free Member

Why would it be moronic for a Remainer to vote for the only remain party on offer?

It’s been said quite a bit on here, but I really think it’s so important it can’t be said enough. Tactical voting is the only way Brexit is going to be stopped. The only way.

LD will only revoke if they get a majority government. This is incredibly unlikely.

In 2017 the split was:
    Conservative 42.4%
    Labour 40.0%
    LD 7.4%

I know things have changed in the last 2 years, but a LD majority is very very far fetched. Coalition however is much more likely, but then LD won’t revoke.

The best bet is Labour getting in in some form or other. That way a 2nd referendum can happen, as they have stated.

This may not be ideal, but this is the way the system works, and this is how the dice have fallen. There’s no 2nd chance at this.

If Labour are the only true competition to the Torys in your constituency, if you want to remain, you have to vote Labour.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Is it because a large swathe of the blue collar ground in support they rely on are strongly pro-Brexit?

IMHO, it’s that.

Plus the fact the leadership are life long brexiteers.

Plus the fact at least one of their policies will cause capital flight which Labour have said they will prevent with restrictions on movement of capital. …and you can’t be in the EU and have restrictions on movement of capital.

boomerlives
    Free Member

Why would a second referendum have a different result?

Because the prospect of being governed by Europe is much more attractive than leaving these clowns in charge?

outofbreath
    Free Member

Coalition however is much more likely, but then LD won’t revoke.

…but they would support a second ref. So the worst case scenaro voting Libdem if they get balance of power is the same as the best case scenario voting Labour. (From a Remainer POV.)

dissonance

If voting LD would hand victory to the Tories, why don’t Labour stand for Remain?

What on earth do those two sentences have to do with each other?

tjagain

boomerlives – the polls all show now a majority for remain

The lies of the leave campaign have been exposed as lies ( easiest negotiation ever / we hold all the cards / they need us more than we need them etc)

Demographic change

kelvin

Corbyn is just doing what Cameron did in 2015… and it worked* for him. Promise a referendum to win over voters who don’t actually agree with your policy direction… ‘vote for me and then I’ll give you a chance to vote against my policy on Europe’.

(*he got to play at being PM of a majority government for a year, not sure the rest of us benefited so much)

(If you’re in a Tory/Lab marginal, vote Labour, and then vote against a Labour Brexit next year… please.)

What about that clip from Sky?

I’m thinking Cleverly must have done something more than refuse to be interviewed… KB sounds like she is properly pissed at his attitude after talking to him off set.

dissonance

So the worst case scenaro voting Libdem if they get balance of power is the same as the best case scenario voting Labour. (From a Remainer POV.)

No the worse case voting Libdem is a hard brexit because you split the vote by not selecting the party most likely to win.

tjagain

OOB – the worst case scenario with voting lib dem in seats they have no chance of winning ie the vast majority of seats ( If I lived in a tory / lib dem marginal I would vote lib dem without hesitation) is that it leads to a try government by splitting the anti tory vote.

kerley
    Free Member

Why would a second referendum have a different result?

It may not but the vote would be directly for a Labour deal (i.e probably close to Tory deal but keeping those pesky employment rights and stuff like that in place) or Remain.

If Leave wins then the Labour deal gets implemented a week later. No need to debate/vote in parliament and so on.

Sounds like a fair democratic process to me and I would rather have whatever deal Labour gets than any deal the Tories get as their intentions are very different (I would actually vote remain)

kiksy
    Free Member

Coalition however is much more likely, but then LD won’t revoke.

…but they would support a second ref. So the worst case scenaro voting Libdem if they get balance of power is the same as the best case scenario voting Labour. (From a Remainer POV.)

Because with FPTP second place means nothing.

The focus has to be on winning seats, not getting votes spread across the country.

binners

Does anyone listen to Fighting Talk on Five Live on Saturday morning? They have a round called ‘Defend the Indefensible’ where you have to just that for 2 minutes

That’s now James Cleverly’s life for the next month… 24/7

He was taken apart on the Today programme, having to defend Rees Mogg’s enormously callous superiority complex, rapey Tory candidates and why poor people deserve ‘putting down’

boomerlives
    Free Member

Disonnance- seriously?

LD are Remain, so appealing to Remainers

Tory are Brexit

Labour are “vote for us, and then we’ll decide what we are”

Labour’s wishy washy stance is not definite enough for a roving vote. They could hoover them all up and be an actual opposition party for the first time in years

frankconway

Binners – James Cleverley is (one of) the indefensible.

tjagain

No boomer lives.

Labour are ” we will try to negotiate a sensible leave deal and then it will go to the public to decide withing 6 months”

Now you and i may think this a daft idea but thats what it is. clear, concise and nothing like the tory press portray it as or what you claim it is

kerley
    Free Member

Labour’s wishy washy stance is not definite enough

Not true.

New Deal in 3 months, Referendum in 6 months (between the new deal or remain).

Pretty clear and simple to understand.

dissonance

LD are Remain, so appealing to Remainers

Not really. Outside of their yellow unicorn their referendum options arent defined. So not overly useful.

No they are not. Its a clear referendum with a viable leave option vs remain.

They could hoover them all up and be an actual opposition party for the first time in years

You seem confused about what an opposition party actually means. Its not to blindly opposed but to represent their voters. This may or may not match the governing party.

scotroutes

It may not but the vote would be directly for a Labour deal (i.e probably close to Tory deal but keeping those pesky employment rights and stuff like that in place)

Which makes a very big assumption about (a) the EU willing to restart negotiations and (b) such a deal being possible, taking into account NI etc.

boomerlives
    Free Member

New Deal in 3 months? Three years of pissing about got us exactly here.

Don’t make me laugh.

kelvin

Vote for us now to pursue our own Brexit policy, but we’ll give you a chance next year to stop us implementing it’, is a ‘clear’ policy, the argument is that it isn’t appealing to enough voters. We’ll find out next month I suppose. It’s enough for me to vote Labour in my seat, and it might ‘work’ for Corbyn as it did for Cameron, but I fear otherwise.

dissonance

Which makes a very big assumption about (a) the EU willing to restart negotiations and (b) such a deal being possible, taking into account NI etc.

Considering it most likely would be closer to what the EU would want then it is likely it would work. If it doesnt then can use either Maybots or Johnsons deals.
    Either way it will be a clear leave option as opposed to the fantasy leave options offered last time vs remain.

boomerlives
    Free Member

You seem confused about what an opposition party means

Bet I’m not.

a clear leave option

Do you really believe that’s what that looks like to folk who didn’t grow up in the shadow of Kier Hardie’s cap?

tjagain

Scotroutes – its a constantly moving target but the EU have made it clear in the past that different red lines mean a different deal is possible ie if labour become a majority and want to negotiate a deal based around a much closer relationship then they would be willing to do so.

Labours starting position removes almost all of the issues around NI because labour want to remain in the customs union and in alignment with EU standards

Its not the position I would like – but its not impossible

But thats the promise from labour – a second ref withing 6 months. On a renegotiated deal if possible, on the existing deal if not

alcolepone
    Free Member

It’s been said quite a bit on here, but I really think it’s so important it can’t be said enough. Tactical voting is the only way Brexit is going to be stopped. The only way.

please, unless you want a hard brexit…vote tactically to remove the tory’s.

It’s that simple.

boomerlives
    Free Member

A new deal, if possible?

You are already back pedalling

kerley
    Free Member

New Deal in 3 months? Three years of pissing about got us exactly here.

The pissing about was getting deals and then having to get them through parliament. The referendum removes the parliament bit
    New deal obtained (which is definitely possible in 3 months as proved by Johnson) and then put out to referendum.

tjagain

No I am not. Thats exactly what I have been saying for ages.

I am 50/50 on whether a new deal could be negotiated. Its possible but not certain.

What is certain is that labour would make sure we had a second referendum in 6 months. what is not certain is what the “leave” option will be but the other option will be remain

molgrips
    Free Member

Its not to blindly opposed but to represent their voters.

Yes it is!

dazh

So we have a tory MP saying people on benefits should be put down, Johnson comparing Corbyn to Stalin, and Rees Mogg saying the Grenfell victims deserved it because they were stupid.

And then we have Jeremy Corbyn….

bazzer
    Free Member

NOpe – I think thats a bit of futile debate and I wanted this thread to move on. I suggest to you like I did with OOB that you read up on the policy to understand it.

There are multiple ways that the shares to workers can be done. Companies will be able to chose whichever method makes the most sense to them

I have read it and they all end up with 10% of the value of a company removed from the owners of the companies. As we know a lot of companies are effectively owned by pension funds so this would be another raid on pensions funds. Just like the raid by removing the dividend tax credits.

Just give me one way it can be done where the value is not taken from the owners of the company.

This is not a value judgement on if the policy is right or wrong. Just we need to be clear on the maths here.

You have made an assertion without any evidence and to quote Mr Hitchens

“What is asserted without evidence can be refuted without evidence”

This is a massive policy for Labour so its important we all understand the implications.

frankconway

Kimbers – your take on Peston’s article is wrong; Tories not mucking up their performance on purpose.
    His point is that they have been uncoordinated and lack message discipline; that is incompetence, not deliberate.
    Moving on to Juncker’s interview with Katya Adler – ‘and he said he did not think Labour’s pledge to renegotiate the withdrawal agreement if it wins a majority in the general election was a realistic approach – although this would be an issue for his successor’.
    Sure, he’s on his way out but I doubt he is talking out of turn.

MSP

As we know a lot of companies are effectively owned by pension funds so this would be another raid on pensions funds. Just like the raid by removing the dividend tax credits.

Want to back that up with some facts?

Pension funds owned 3% of shares in the last ONS figurs. “our” pensions are a spit in the ocean compared to other ownership.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/investmentspensionsandtrusts/bulletins/ownershipofukquotedshares/2016

slowoldman

The pissing about was getting deals and then having to get them through parliament.

I thought it was doing **** all for almost 3 years because “it’s going to be easy”, “we hold all the cards”, etc.

bazzer
    Free Member

Want to back that up with some facts?

Pension funds owned 3% of shares in the last ONS figurs. “our” pensions are a spit in the ocean compared to other ownership.

Does not matter it will still be 10% of the value of stocks owned by pensions. Does not matter if that is 3% to 10% or 100% of the total number of stocks its still 10% stolen from the stock portion of your pension.

Correct me if I am wrong?

scotroutes

I had to re read that a couple of times..

Viewing 40 posts - 1,201 through 1,240 (of 6,291 total)

The topic ‘2019 General Election’ is closed to new replies.