• This topic has 6,282 replies, 176 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by kelvin.
Viewing 40 posts - 521 through 560 (of 6,291 total)
  • 2019 General Election
  • n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I hope Royston Smith is easy pickings for Labour this time, I was baffled how he kept his 2015 seat last time out in 2017 by 31 votes, when historically Itchen has been very pro-Labour.

I’d vote LD, but going on 2017 it would would be a wasted vote…
    21773 Con
    21742 Lab
    1421 Lib

kiksy
    Free Member

I’d vote LD, but going on 2017 it would would be a wasted vote…
    21773 Con
    21742 Lab
    1421 Lib

Yeah this is the perfect example of where tactical voting is key.

Even if you’re a hardcore LD voter, can you really see them getting an extra 21000 votes in just 2 years?

If all the LD voters bit the bullet this time round it would likely be a Labour win.

The alternative is a Tory win. That’s the choice .

kerley
    Free Member

This. Those 33,000 might all be staunch Remainers in which case they might go Lib Dem. They might be ultra hard core Brexiteers in which case they might go BNP to make the point. We don’t know.

This election is totally un-predictable.

It is totally predictable in my constituency. The 33,000 will very likely be Brexiters seeing that it was a very high Brexit voting constituency too. There is no BNP or even UKIP candidate.

I would put a fair bit of money on Tory vote still being 30,000.

cchris2lou

I might be wrong but the Remain, revoke camp looks a lot more organized and ready for a fight this time round.

binners

I live in a key marginal consistuancy (Bury North), which regularly changes hands and where the last 2 elections went like this

2017:

Labour 25,683
    Conservative 21,308
    Liberal Democrat 912

2015:

Conservative 18,970
    Labour 18,592
    UKIP 5,595
    Liberal Democrat 932

So I basically have to vote labour. Otherwise we get a Tory. interestingly, in a place that pretty much reflected the 52/48 referendum split of the vote, look what UKIP got in 2015. They didn’t stand last time. I can see the Brexit party picking up a lot of votes, which you would think would suit labour. I hope so. Our (non-Corbynite) Labour MP is a great and effective constituency MP and a thoroughly decent bloke. Another reason I’ll be voting Labour, despite their hopeless leader*

A LD vote would be a completely wasted vote

* The word is used figuratively in this instance and does not reflect any actual abilities in that department

kerley
    Free Member

https://policy.greenparty.org.uk/eu.html

outofbreath, not sure why you need to link to that. I am well aware of policies being a Green party member and all!. I also agree with the points you have picked out and I also agree with more policies in Green party manifesto than any other party. They unfortunately only get around 1,000 votes from the 50,000 where I live but if that can go up all the better.

kiksy
    Free Member

I might be wrong but the Remain, revoke camp looks a lot more organized and ready for a fight this time round.

Brexit: People’s Vote staff stage vote of ‘no confidence’ in chairman

Add to that the lack of parity between Labour and Lib Dems I’m not so sure sadly.

binners

Sad to say that you couldn’t be more wrong.

Open warfare: the week the People’s Vote campaign imploded

Its presently a complete and utter shambles and is totally consumed with vicious, factional infighting.

Yet another example of the hopeless, completely detatched, self-serving attitude of our ‘political class’

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

On a general housekeeping issue, when are the PPCs for each constituency announced? (Assuming the HoL waves the bill through.)

EDIT: Also, I realise some challengers to the incumbents are already known.

dissonance

On a general housekeeping issue, when are the PPCs for each constituency announced?

Deadline to register is the 14th November so anytime up till then.

kimbers

bet Johnson to announce he’s gonna stand in a safe seat shortly

which tory rebels has he not allowed back in have the safest (leave voting) seat?

outofbreath
    Free Member

Agree. There’s finally a clear remain/revoke rallying point for everyone to rally round.

Open warfare: the week the People’s Vote campaign imploded

The people’s vote campaign has fallen apart *because* it’s obsolete now there’s an organised & credible remain option + an election. As a remainer there’s no point in supporting or voting for a coin flip any more. The peoples vote campaign falling apart proves chris2lou’s point, it doesn’t debunk it.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Deadline to register is the 14th November so anytime up till then.

Oh right, cheers. Is that a date set in the bill or dependent on something else.

kimbers

Agree. There’s finally a clear remain/revoke rallying point for everyone to rally round.

we are all in bubbles

remain voters organising themselves on social media (PV campaign less relevant)

dont assume leave voters arent as well, but cummings targetting them as well

dazh

it’s obsolete now there’s an organised & credible remain option + an election

Oh give it a rest. The libdems are not going to win the election. They are about as far from credible as it’s possible to be. You know as well as the rest of us that there’s only one route to remaining, and it isn’t with Johnson as PM.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

As kimbers says, it’s all very well remainers organising to vote tactically and collectively fist-bumping over it, but Leave groups are doing the same thing; and with, I suspect, a lot less ethics involved.

scotroutes

First tactical voting site I’ve seen for this election

Tactical voting 2019

That’s an anti-Tory recommendation rather than an anti-Leave one. Not sure that’s what folk are after for this election.

cchris2lou

I meant, remain are better prepared and organized.
    They know what they are up against.
    Hancock was taken to bits this morning on national TV.

cookeaa

Not sure I agree, as I’m already a Remoaner I obviously find the cogent points raised by similarly minded people enticing, but it’s not me they need to convince…

The actual battle ground is “Independent social meeja activists”, Russian Bots and mainstream media (papers and Telly) ratcheting up the Rhetoric.

chewkw
    Free Member

Imagine Liberal Democrat wins the next GE to form the next govt. I don’t mind for a good laugh but that will learn you 😆
    Also if Labour or Lib Dem is in power will Scotland have any more excuse to gain independence? 😄
    Isn’t Alex Salmond facing some sort of court case soon? Why is he going to court? (can’t be arsed to google the reasons) Anyway, not good publicity for SNP innit? 😀

They are definitely more organised coz they have plenty to lose so will fight to the end. 😄

outofbreath
    Free Member

collectively fist-bumping over it,

Collectively fist bumping seems perfectly reasonable when the Leave vote is split between two parties and only one party is offering revoke.

How much fist bumping would Boris be doing if the BP quit and left him as the only place for leavers?

chewkw
    Free Member

Collectively fist bumping seems perfectly reasonable when the Leave vote is split between two parties and only one party is offering revoke.

Fist-bumping whatever … I just hope most of the politicians in the main parties get the sack.

Weak govt and weak opposition.

How much fist bumping would Boris be doing if the BP quit and left him as the only place for leavers?

Who is BP? Brexit Party?

No chance Brexit Party will quit in the North coz there will be a few surprises coming that way.

I know many working Labour voters here and they told they would vote for Labour on domestic issues but the current political climate they just want out. Non of them want to vote Labour at all let alone Lib Dem.

outofbreath
    Free Member

No chance Brexit Party will quit in the North coz there will be a few surprises coming that way.

Which would be good news for remainers…

avdave2

I see only one hope for an outcome that might at least give a chance of another referendum and it involves to some extent people who won’t be able to vote. I really think that the remain / second referendum camp needs to to be talking to the 16 – 25 year olds in the country to talk to their parents and even more importantly their grandparents and ask that in this election they put the long term interests of their future first. Just because 16 and 17 year olds don’t have a vote doesn’t mean they can’t have an influence. We need a Gretta Thunberg to tell us older people that this really isn’t just about what we want for the next few years.

chewkw
    Free Member

Which would be good news for remainers…

I know the working class (in the North East) don’t like Tories/Labour/Lib dem so will vote for Brexit Party.

I suspect many of the Labour supporters will go to Brexit Party as magic grandpa is not performing the magic for them. As for Lib dem don’t even mention the name Jo Swinson as you either get a good laugh or get told off for mentioning her. (I did ask them about their views on Swinson and I got so much grief by just asking …)

I see only one hope for an outcome that might at least give a chance of another referendum and it involves to some extent people who won’t be able to vote

If you go for a 2nd referendum before the 1st one is being implemented you might start a proper “civil war” … I dare the politicians start a 2nd referendum before the 1st one is being implemented.

kerley
    Free Member

We need a Gretta Thunberg to tell us older people that this really isn’t just about what we want for the next few years.

I have spoken to a lot of older people and they think they are acting on behalf on younger people and they will be better out of the EU so not sure how that would work out.

binners

We need a Gretta Thunberg to tell us older people that this really isn’t just about what we want for the next few years.

The kind of people who are prepared to listen to 16 year olds are the type of people who’d never vote for Brexit or the Tories anyway.

And the kind of people who voted for Brexit and the Tories won’t be listening to 16 year olds s they think they should be doing national service in the army, reaserting the British empire, or some other misty-eyed neo-colonial bollocks

ads678

This country is a **** shambles, the biggest change to the country for ever should not be decided by a **** post code lottery voting system. Thats not democracy!

My vote will basically be wasted once again….

chewkw
    Free Member

This country is a **** shambles, the biggest change to the country for ever should not be decided by a **** post code lottery voting system. Thats not democracy!

My vote will basically be wasted once again….

Just vote for what you like then sit back to let the nature takes its course.

binners

What seems very worrying at the moment is the amount of MP’s who are standing down. If you look at the names, they seem the half-decent ones

It seems like more and more moderates are being driven out of both main parties, or just giving up

If we think the MP’s we’re got at the moment are bad, no matter who ‘wins’ the next election, the standard of our elected repesentatives looks like being considerably worse after December.

Both front benches are already stuffed with incompetent, idealogical nodding-dogs who are there purely for their capacity to unquestioningly worship at the cult of both ‘leaderships’.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

My constituency has a Con majority of 22,000 🤮 – it’s hardly worth voting

Brexit was 50/50

dissonance

Is that a date set in the bill or dependent on something else.

I think, but aint 100% certain, its part either of normal election law or just standard practice. Day of election – x days to allow for all the associated admin to be completed especially postal ballots.

kimbers

Tories dont change

avdave2

If you go for a 2nd referendum before the 1st one is being implemented you might start a proper “civil war” … I dare the politicians start a 2nd referendum before the 1st one is being implemented.

Actually of course I should have said 3rd referendum, as the last one was overturning the referendum of 1975. I’m not sure how you can oppose further referendums in principal if you think the second one in 2016 was legitimate.

<span style=”font-size: 12.8px;”>And the kind of people who voted for Brexit and the Tories won’t be listening to 16 year olds</span>

My hope is that it might be different if those 16 year olds are their grandchildren. I’m not talking about massed 16 year olds on the streets in a general plea to the population of voters but individually sitting down with the people they know asking them to think carefully about how they vote.

doomanic

Not a hope in hell. If the current situation hasn’t persuaded them to reconsider, a teenager certainly won’t be able to.

kelvin

you might start a proper “civil war”

1) Don’t worry, we’ll fight to keep you out of the internment camps the English Nationalist side in that imaginary war will be setting up for you.

2) This is just the same stuff that “the other thread” is full of. Take it over there.

ElShalimo

Where can I look at a full list of MPs standing down?

outofbreath
    Free Member

I’m not sure how you can oppose further referendums in principal if you think the second one in 2016 was legitimate.

Indeed. It’s an argument that Leavers will employ with equal validity the day after a second ref. (If they lose which is only a 50/50 shout.)

Ergo referendums are not the solution.

reluctantjumper

Oh give it a rest. The libdems are not going to win the election. They are about as far from credible as it’s possible to be.

I remember a lot of people saying that about Trump in the US and BoJo here.

outofbreath
    Free Member

I remember a lot of people saying that about Trump in the US and BoJo here.

This.

…and there’s a clear reason why the LibDems could win this time:

Leave vote is split.
    Revoke vote is not split.

Viewing 40 posts - 521 through 560 (of 6,291 total)

The topic ‘2019 General Election’ is closed to new replies.