• This topic has 6,282 replies, 176 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by kelvin.
Viewing 40 posts - 5,321 through 5,360 (of 6,291 total)
  • 2019 General Election
  • PrinceJohn

Going to be voting after work today. Our career Tory with a 3,000 majority last time out found a spine & quit the party when parliament was dissolved.
    I’m hoping that the new one won’t be known by people so they won’t vote for her or will get confused & vote Labour instead.

There’s a whole vote swap facebook group going on in Cornwall where people are tactically voting to hopefully change Cornwall from blue.

v8ninety

Individuals unfurl a provocative anti Corbyn banner at a pro Corbyn rally and provoke a reaction shocker.

Some people (on both sides) are thick/uninformed/angry/gobby. Again, shocker. Moving on. 🙄

llama

We are lib majority with Tory 2nd. Agree with the libs and voted for them. But even if I was not a lib supporter, there is no way I would vote for this lot of Tories. They are a frightening bunch.

VOTE TACTICALLY

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

I still haven’t decided. I don’t want the Tories in as Boris is a lying prick, dont like labour either as Corbyn is an idiot but the bigger issue for me is if they won the Abbopotamus would be home secretary which is a worrying thought 😱

Which party is giving out the free sweets 😂

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Individuals unfurl a provocative anti Corbyn banner at a pro Corbyn rally and provoke a reaction shocker.

Some people (on both sides) are thick/uninformed/angry/gobby. Again, shocker. Moving on.

I dislike the Tories on the whole.

However, if those had been Muslims at a Tory rally then Labour supporters would be screaming from the rooftops about how it evidences Tory racism.

That wasn’t far off the vitriol that you get at Tea Party rallies in ‘Murica.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Some people (on both sides) are thick/uninformed/angry/gobby. Again, shocker. Moving on.

It *is* shocking. You just don’t get those sorts of scenes from the other Parties. Can you find a vid with that kind of behaviour from the Lib Dems? Or the Torys? Or the SNP? Or the BP?

It really is unique to Labour.

John MacDonnell on rioting:

his praise for violent rioters as ‘the best of our movement’.

“Having seen that, gone through that period and that acquiescence all since the,.. throughout the 90s and in the early 2000s to see that momentum build up, just showed the best of our movement, and just showed you what there was out there in terms of resources,” McDonnell told a Unite the Resistance Emergency Meeting, on the 16 January 2012.

“It just needed the one small spark way back in November before last, of the students kicking the s**t out of Millbank and then that spark lighting all the combustible material – that then brought people out in March, June and then November, and that’s the best of our movement and it’s still there, you know it’s still there.”

outofbreath
    Free Member

However, if those had been Muslims at a Tory rally then Labour supporters would be screaming from the rooftops about how it evidences Tory racism.

Agree. Or if a Libdem meeting had disolved in this way.

The only reason this isn’t big news is because it’s not newsworthy because it’s just expected from Momentum/the Corbynistas.

piha
    Free Member

v8ninety

I feel racism should be called out wherever it is, whether that is Islamophobia in the torys, Anti Semitism in Labour or general racism in the BNP/EDL/UKIP/Brexit party.

IMO simply “moving on” is unacceptable and legitimises this kind of behaviour. A modern, forward thinking Britain has no place for such ideology.

kerley
    Free Member

the bigger issue for me is if they won the Abbopotamus would be home secretary which is a worrying thought

I would rather have Abbot that Patel by about 100 billion times.

dantsw13

Yes, useless can be guided by the Civil Service. Dangerous zealot is exactly that.

dantsw13

Newsnight last night was interesting on the “cost of Brexit” Too little too late I fear.

rone

If you would like to feel slightly optimistic about getting Boris out, have a read of this

I put that up a while back.

kelvin

the “cost of Brexit”

They didn’t even mention any of the NI parties or candidates, despite talking about that issue in reasonable depth. Useless. We’re back to talking about Brexit without reference to Ireland, or inhabitants of the UK with other nationalities. It’s like those most effected just have to suck it up so that English tub thumpers can feel a bit less impotent for a short while.

Edukator
    Free Member

It didn’t matter what the last word was on that banner. There are places where anything pro jew on it is seen as a provocation by some people regardless of their political party allegiance.

Try unfurling the same banner with #Luton at the end in Luton. Some people don’t grasp that furthering their religious cause in some situations is counterproductive, or was that organised by the Brexit party to discredit both? Not sure who I find most odious, those provoking or those provoked. Only losers there.

v8ninety

You just don’t get those sorts of scenes from the other Parties.

I suspect that Tory racists are generally a bit better at hiding their bigotry, as they are generally white people in positions of (relative) power. The vocal sounding off that was unpleasantly demonstrated there was that of the ignorant bigotry of people who perceive themselves as the underdogs, rightly or wrongly.

There’s no need to riot in the streets if daddy knows the local MP and can have a word, is there?

Not sure who I find most odious, those provoking or those provoked. Only losers there.

Absolutely. 100% agreed. Tribalism corrupts everything.

GavinB

Postal voted last week, and found out yesterday that even MrsB (not Scottish and only ever voted Labour or Lib Dems) will be voting SNP for the first time, as it’s pretty much a two-horse race in our constituency between them and the incumbent Tories (in by a slim majority in 2017)!

Progress sometimes happens in small steps, although tbh I’m not at all optimistic about the wider results later, as can see Labour demolished across the UK in a similar fashion to the Lib Dems in 2017.

dantsw13

Kelvin – whilst you aren’t wrong, it was the first independent costings of Brexit I have seen on the BBC in a long time.

reluctantjumper

My in laws, in a slight non stereotypical shocker, are really nice, gentle, Christian folk. But they buy the Daily Mail, believe the stuff that’s presented as fact, and take it personally when anyone dare suggest that that rag is an evil, hate filled, xenophobic mouthpiece of Russian billionaires that once ran stories supporting Hitler. Don’t ask me how I know this… 🙄

That’s my parents too, except they also read the Sun!

Just back from voting in the local Tesco. Right next to the display of 24 pack beers on offer. Someone has taped a bit of paper next to the big price sign and written on it “Drown your sorrows tonight for cheap, price goes up soon as the pound tanks!” which is rather high-brow considering the clientele the place gets on a normal day!

The good news is that the old granny doing an exit poll hinted that the Cons are doing poorly so far, she even smiled as she said it. She did say though that a lot of the older folk haven’t been in yet, just the parents after the school run, probably because it’s raining. Might change through the day.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I don’t know if I want to live in a country like this anymore. We’ll see.

Likewise. But right now there is no foreseeable way out. Personally speaking our options have been decimated. First by the recession, then by austerity and an underfunded poorly-managed NHS. Mrs Rider is left severely disabled from nearly a decade of poor health management, suspect surgery, and a raft of missed opportunities/referral ping-pong games,lost records, etc etc that have of course failed to improve things only making her situation worse/ now irreparable. We’d dearly love to get to the Netherlands or France or similar and begin a new life, but Brexit shall block that option too. Feels like (actually is) being forcefully imprisoned within in a nightmare within a country that’s only likely to get worse during our last few decades if we both make it that long (now mid-fifties)

I have had trouble keeping my head above water of late, I’ll be candid. Now have to find a way to make a small fortune (enough to emigrate and self-support for 5 years) whilst also being a full-time carer for my wife. Any realistic/insightful suggestions gratefully received. In our situation, planning to ‘sit tight’ in this basket-case hellhole at this point seems like asking for someone to nail the lid shut. #masochism #stockholmsyndrome

kelvin

first independent costings of Brexit I have seen on the BBC in a long time

True. But it was still looking at the costs as if evenly spread across the whole of the UK… there are areas that will be smashed by what Johnson has in store for us… where as there are other areas that can just shrug it off and have another Pimms.

Houns

I do hope the rain puts some folk off, in a totally unbiased way of course. Ahem.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

t didn’t matter what the last word was on that banner. There are places where anything pro jew on it is seen as a provocation by some people regardless of their political party allegiance.

Try unfurling the same banner with #Luton at the end in Luton. Some people don’t grasp that furthering their religious cause in some situations is counterproductive, or was that organised by the Brexit party to discredit both? Not sure who I find most odious, those provoking or those provoked. Only losers there.

Again, I somehow doubt you’d be saying that if it were Muslims at a conservative rally in Manchester.

I suspect that Tory racists are generally a bit better at hiding their bigotry, as they are generally white people in positions of (relative) power. The vocal sounding off that was unpleasantly demonstrated there was that of the ignorant bigotry of people who perceive themselves as the underdogs, rightly or wrongly.

Plenty of white bigots in that video.

P-Jay
    Free Member

My local has consolidating 3 polling stations into 1, it was more than a bit brisk in their this morning despite the rain and traffic (it’s right opposite the local High School).

We’re hopeful / quietly confident Labour will take it, we’re one of the strongest remain areas of the UK and the Tories have put up a bit of a Paper Candidate, he’s not local (London based) and hasn’t really been up to much at all.

Edukator
    Free Member

Again, I somehow doubt you’d be saying that if it were Muslims at a conservative rally in Manchester.

I would.

Perhaps the Muslim community understands that counter demonstations at rallies for main stream parties are not the best places to further your cause.

I’m happy to be proved wrong if you have peaceful examples of Tories shaking hands with Muslims holding similarly provocative banners at Tory rallies.

convert

Could this be the worst weather on election day in history? Surely it will effect turn out? But will it change the outcome too? Personally I’d have liked to have seen a bit more ice on the pavements, you the know the tricky sort that scares older folk back to their tea and bourbons.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Not sure who I find most odious, those provoking or those provoked.

…agree but only the provokees are asking for us to vote for them today.

Plenty of white bigots in that video.

Agree and they seemed the noisiest and most intimidating to me. …but even if we it’s acceptable, “ignorant bigotry of people who perceive themselves as the underdogs” still isn’t a good electoral look. Corbyn in front of his fire looking civilized and calmly reading tweets works *far* better.

Brexit shall block that option too.

Not for a year or more if it ever happens, and if it does happen I’m sure people moved to France before we joined so just go anyway.

tjagain

Bad weather / low turnout usually reduces the labour vote

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Not for a year or more if it ever happens, and if it does happen I’m sure people moved to France before we joined so just go anyway.

I’m sure that sounded easy when you typed it 😟

Will prob start another thread about UK emigration.

BruceWee

Bad weather / low turnout usually reduces the labour vote

Well, hopefully it will be the traditional Labour vote that is now Tory according to the BBC.

Cougar

I do hope the rain puts some folk off, in a totally unbiased way of course. Ahem.

I said a couple of pages back, I’d have thought it more likely to dissuade first-time / younger voters. A spot of rain would never have deterred my gran from going out.

They give away FREE SWEETS at the polling station you guys.

At my local polling station they have red pills and blue pills.

tjagain

Free disco biscuits? that gets my vote!

martinhutch

Red – you end up living in fear in a giant sewer, eating vile reconstituted slop.
    Blue – the dream of a prosperous and successful life continues!

Was there an orange pill, you take it and it has no effect whatsoever?

boomerlives
    Free Member

Blue – the dream of a prosperous and successful life continues!

…while living in a sewer eating sh!te

martinhutch

…while living in a sewer eating sh!te

Strictly speaking, while plugged into a machine being fed the liquefied remains of your fellow humans.

That’s actually from page 27 of the Tory Manifesto under ‘welfare reforms’.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I would rather have Abbot that Patel by about 100 billion times.

Definitely 100 billion times? Are you sure? Not 10 times?

kimbers

Good to see high turnout, in lots of remainy areas if u believe twitter

wonder if its just this morning or will hold through the day

meanwhile a nervous wait for BoZo

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49207899578_15b980c761_b.jpgnull

outofbreath
    Free Member

Was there an orange pill, you take it and it has no effect whatsoever?

I’ve taken the Orange Pill – nothing happens but you feel like you’re on the moral high ground.

gallowayboy

Took my 89 yo mum to the polling station in calderdale – both she and her pal that we bumped into voted labour (no reason to doubt either!). Here in the upper valley it’s apparently inconceivable that the permatanned Whittaker could be MP – no blue posters or leaflets. The same applies in reverse to the lower valley. Labour have been canvassing hard there though, so I think there is hope. You need a wee bit of hope, eh?

RustySpanner

Everyone I’ve spoken to dislikes Whittaker.
    Fingers crossed for you.

Up the road in Burnley we have Julie Cooper, the current, well thought of, local Labour incumbent and Gordon Birtwhistle for the LD’s.
    Both excellent choices (Birtwhistle did a hell of a lot for the town), but given that 66% voted leave, it looks like he’s fecked.

We have a Brexit party ‘Man of the People’ and a Tory sock puppet. Hopefully they will split the leave vote.
    If not, I’m genuinely worried that the Brexit crew will sneak in.

It’s going to be close.

Kryton57

Just voted.  Outside our polling station there’s a Labour exit poll / person doing nothing more than politely greeting and saying goodbye to people.   There isn’t a Conservative version.

Viewing 40 posts - 5,321 through 5,360 (of 6,291 total)

The topic ‘2019 General Election’ is closed to new replies.