• This topic has 6,282 replies, 176 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by kelvin.
Viewing 40 posts - 4,801 through 4,840 (of 6,291 total)
  • 2019 General Election
  • pondo

Too late? 🙁

binners

Rayner is a shoe-in to be the next leader

She is indeed. Its obvious that the next leader will effectively be anointed by St Jeremy because thats what the sixth formers demand in this tragic ongoing 1980’s remake. The Tories may well out-do the 18 years they were gifted by the labour party last time, before it hopefully see’s some sense and limps back to the centre ground and tries to restore some credibility after this Corbynite debacle

At least Rayner showed she has the ability to think on her feet, unlike Jezza who stands there mute and motionless when presented with an open goal, and seems to actually be in possession of a personalty and a degree of political instinct.

But thats about it when it comes to positives.

Her line on Brexit is no doubt the same as Jezza’s but at least she’s being straight about it. Its surely glaringly obvious to anyone sentient that Jezza (in the laughably unlikely event of getting a majority) would go to Brussels, come back with Mays deal (for thats all thats on offer) and return to campaign enthusiastically for everyone to vote for it in a second referendum, against the wishes of the majority of his MP’s, membership and voters

If anyones buying this ‘honest broker’ bullshit then you need your bumps feeling. He’s a brexiteer and he wants us out. Looks like Rayner is too.

Cougar

You know that thing the Tories do, where they repeat something often enough that it becomes accepted as true?

martinhutch

I don’t know, perhaps we’ll find out after they get Brexit done.

ctk
    Free Member

Adam Boulton just made an apology on Sky All Out Politics. (paraphrasing)

I am making a personal apology for last week describing the PM as looking tired and emotional and saying he’s not drinking. I thought this was all forgotten about but CCHQ are not happy nad they are refusing to put somebody up in the debate tomorrow because of it. I hope they will accept my apology and turn up at the debate tomorrow.

WTAF!

Happened about 9.25ish

binners

Dear God!

looks like Cummings chucking threats around is working a treat on the media. They’re using any old excuse to stop him facing any scrutiny. Quote from yesterdays FT

“It’s clear what the strategy is,” says one person close to Mr Johnson’s highly disciplined campaign. “Keep him out of tough debates, keep him away from the public, stick to the message, make him look prime ministerial.”

richmtb

make him look prime ministerial.

Hah!

Pretty sure Winston Churchill never stole anyone’s mobile phone

martinhutch

I am making a personal apology for last week describing the PM as looking tired and emotional and saying he’s not drinking.

News 101: Sky TV host says something offensive about your candidate. Hardly anyone sees it live, it receives very little press.

Sky TV host repeats something offensive about your candidate attached to an apology. Hardly anyone sees it live, but it goes viral on Twitter and receives plenty of press as a result.

Win!

I certainly hadn’t heard or seen reported Boulton’s original comments.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

(Whoever leaked it is an ass, however.)

outofbreath
    Free Member

(Whoever leaked it is an ass, however.)

Leaked what? (Sorry, I’m a bit slow today.)

senorj

Has someone leaked the inquiry into Russian meddling?

ctk
    Free Member

Russians leaked it just to **** with us

NB no idea what CF is on about

squirrelking
    Free Member

@raybanwomble @edukator

From the Anti Defamation League no less:

The overwhelming usage of the “okay” hand gesture today is still its traditional purpose as a gesture signifying assent or approval. As a result, someone who uses the symbol cannot be assumed to be using the symbol in either a trolling or, especially, white supremacist context unless other contextual evidence exists to support the contention. Since 2017, many people have been falsely accused of being racist or white supremacist for using the “okay” gesture in its traditional and innocuous sense.

Other, similar-seeming hand gestures have also been mistakenly assumed to have white supremacist connotations as a result of the “okay” hoax. One of these is the so-called “Circle Game,” in which people attempt to trick each other into looking at an okay-like hand gesture made somewhere below the waist.

https://www.adl.org/education/references/hate-symbols/okay-hand-gesture

The key here is context. Beyond seeing that person we know nothing about doing it what context do we have that allows us to say he is undoubtedly trolling or signalling white supremacist intent?

Ed, that’s a particularly nasty side you are beginning to show.

martinhutch

NB no idea what CF is on about

I’m more worried by the fact that he’s on the phone chatting bantering to Zuul the Gatekeeper.

But then again, it’s hardly a revelation that the majority of Corbyn’s MPs can’t stand him. Even the idea that Corbyn is going down like a cup of cold sick outside metropolitan areas is not entirely surprising.

frankconway

Beaten to it.
    Tories will make huge capital out of this.

dazh

She is just another trained politician in the art of not actually answering any questions and not particularly likable.

Trained politician? You’re having a laugh aren’t you? People will warm to her precisely because she isn’t an oxbridge trained politician, and a real person who can relate to normal people. She’s also very straight talking, which people will also appreciate. All she requires is to be a little less abrasive.

before it hopefully see’s some sense and limps back to the centre ground and tries to restore some credibility

You mean go crawling back to the likes of Murdoch and the other billionaire press barons and beg their forgiveness? The day that happens is the day the labour party becomes a pointless non-entity.

frankconway

Party leaders don’t need to be likeable; they need to be credible – relatable would be a bonus.

ctk
    Free Member
    binners

The day that happens is the day the labour party becomes a pointless non-entity.

Hey Daz…. I hate to break it to you, but…erm…. the labour party is presently a completely pointless non-entity. Just ask anyone at Tory HQ who’ve never had it easier. They don’t even have to try. Jezza does their job for them.

Unless, of course, ‘the point’ is waving placards outside the common room, retweeting stuff from the Canary and signing internet petitions while wallowing in your own sanctimonious piousness. They’re good at that. World-beaters.

The labour party will have to return to something resembling the real world at some point, just like it did in 97 under Blair. Though you and the rest of the sixth formers clearly want to see another decade+ of completely unopposed tory rule before thats allowed to happen. Hey it’ll be the 80’s all over again, seeing as it was so ****ing great last time around

Edukator
    Free Member

Ed, that’s a particularly nasty side you are beginning to show.

When the same person is reguarly sexist, thinks it’s OK to use the circle gesture and the JD expression it’s not nasty to point it out.

The member in question has been around for only 4 weeks, until there is any eveidence to the contrary I’ll take his stories with a pinch of salt, object to his sexism and argue against the use of JD and the circle symbol being “innocent” on 10/12/2019.

The key here is indeed context. The context of the QT interview was one of racists being racist. The context of this forum is one of an Internet in which alt-right trolls and bots are doing their utmost to influence an election result. If you think STW is immune, think again.

rone

Hey Daz…. I hate to break it to you, but…erm…. the labour party is presently a completely pointless non-entity”Unless ‘the point’ is waving placards outside the common room and signing internet petitions

In your extemely distorted world view.

To others it’s very much going in the correct direction.

Haven’t seen Rory recently – Wasn’t he your conduit of confused Brexitality statesmenship?

Or Chuka – you liked him, he’s a big hit with his broken centrist compass.

The labour party will have to return to something resembling the real world at some point, just like it did in 97 under Blair.

Err no. Not to suite you it won’t.

You can vote libdem.

binners

Morning comrade

null

squirrelking
    Free Member

But it is okay to use the circle gesture! I even quoted the relevant passage from people with a hell of a lot more knowledge and skin in the game than you do.

ferrals
    Free Member

Gutted to see last night that my constituency is being predicted to go tory in the election. We’ve had a really hard-working (or so it seems) labour MP who has been vocal in Westminster for the benefits of the area and she is predicted to be beaten by a girl who has been outed as a racist and someone who has publically put on her facebook that anyone on benefits should be shot.

Labour can stick in their current direction as long as they like (I support most of their policies), but until they find a way to get into power it is meaningless. I don’t think that waiting till next GE after the brexit hits the fan and everyone feels the squeeze will make a blind bit of difference as so man people equally blame Corbyn for what is/has happened.

On that note, the tories plan to repeal the fixed term parliment act – what replaces it or do we go back to the previous way?

outofbreath
    Free Member

I’ve listened to the Jonathan Ashworth recording on Guido Fawkes and I’m not sure it’s going to do Labour much harm: Firstly many people have already postal voted. Secondly the big problem for the Torys is if it looks like a done deal people just aren’t going to turn out and vote Tory. ie: This ‘banter’ just increases the chances that unenthusiastic voters who are reluctantly willing to vote Blue to stop Corbyn won’t turn out because they think Corbyn will lose anyway.

You can vote libdem.

Labour’s campaign slogan since 2015.

martinhutch

Interesting times – a claim on social media that the photo of the little lad at LGI was ‘staged’ allegedly came from a hacked account, propagated onwards by a large number of low-follower accounts.

Despite the claim that the photo was staged having been acknowledged as false, it has continued to spread on both Facebook and Twitter, largely through individual low-follower accounts cutting and pasting the original text to share with their friends.(Guardian)

If someone in the civil service has a copy of the Russian Interference report and cares about their country, now would be a good time.

frankconway

Haven’t listened to the recording but seems like a sting – subject, timing, Ashworth’s position and the discussion being recorded.
    Having said that Ashworth was incredibly naive – Baron Barker of Battle is a committed tory, an election is looming, NHS is key focus, Ashworth is shadow health sec; what could possibly go wrong?
    Hope oob is right about this having limited impact.
    Cleverley was onto this quickly this morning; briefed by CCHQ?

DrJ

We’ve had a really hard-working (or so it seems) labour MP who has been vocal in Westminster for the benefits of the area and she is predicted to be beaten by a girl who has been outed as a racist and someone who has publically put on her facebook that anyone on benefits should be shot.

Labour can stick in their current direction as long as they like (I support most of their policies), but until they find a way to get into power it is meaningless.

Solution – for Labour to out-racist the Tories?

frankconway

martin hutch – editor of yorkshire post has jumped on that quickly and responded directly to some woman who contacted him trotting out the fake news allegation.

Edukator
    Free Member

Google “circle gesture Question Time”, Squirrelking

https://twnews.co.uk/gb-news/question-time-man-goes-viral-after-making-controversial-circle-game-symbol-on-air

https://metro.co.uk/video/question-time-audience-member-caught-making-circle-game-gesture-2066646/

https://lastminute-news.com/news/question-time-viewers-spot-audience-member-s-strange-hand-gesture-metro-news-breaking-news-last-video-news-last-minute-news-904

They all state that since 2017 the gesture is associated with race hate. You can’t posssibly ignore that, Squirrelking, nor could the guy on Question Time when he used it in a debate in which Brexit (with all that implies in terms of xenophobia) is one of the main issues in people’s minds. Nor could the JD expression user.

binners

Most Labour MPs thinking Jeremy Corbyn is hopeless isn’t really news, is it?

Seeing as the overwhelming majority of them declined to support him in a vote of no confidence, that sort of sends out that message

frankconway

BBC Politics Live…..’Mr Ashworth says the comments weren’t serious and that he was trying to convince the person who recorded the conversation, a friend who is also a Conservative activist, that Tory attack lines were working’.

A conservative activist?
    Try again. Former tory gov minister; now a tory life peer is more than just an activist.

Add to this ‘In February 2019, Barker took a leave of absence from the House of Lords upon accepting an executive chairmanship position within En+ Group, a Russian company linked to the Russian oligarch on the U.S. sanctions list Oleg Deripaska. Barker was credited with having helped the Russian company to have the U.S. sactions lifted earlier that year, for which he was awarded a bonus of about 3 million to 4 million pounds ($3.9 million to $5.2 million) that he described as “relatively modest”.
    Deripaska usually described as being loyal and close to Putin.

Ashworth should choose his ‘friends’ more carefully.

AlexSimon

Most Labour MPs thinking Jeremy Corbyn is hopeless isn’t really news, is it?

Seeing as the overwhelming majority of them declined to support him in a vote of no confidence, that sort of sends out that message

They’re the same as you binners – they think he’s unpopular therefore they are scared to show support – it’s playground stuff.

squirrelking
    Free Member

FWIW I don’t know anyone that ever took that white power thing seriously, obviously my generation are just dog whistle racists in your world and we are the ones out of touch.

I’ll take the word of the Anti Defamation League over theirs thanks.

binners

They don’t think he’s unpopular. They know he is.

He has the lowest approval rating of any opposition leader ever recorded. And when you see that that includes Iain Duncan Smith, that’s quite some achievement

They’re not scared to show support, they’d just like a leader who was slightly more popular than a fart in a lift

ransos
    Free Member

The labour party will have to return to something resembling the real world at some point, just like it did in 97 under Blair. Though you and the rest of the sixth formers clearly want to see another decade+ of completely unopposed tory rule before thats allowed to happen. Hey it’ll be the 80’s all over again, seeing as it was so ****ing great last time around

null

kerley
    Free Member

Trained politician? You’re having a laugh aren’t you? People will warm to her precisely because she isn’t an oxbridge trained politician, and a real person who can relate to normal people. She’s also very straight talking, which people will also appreciate. All she requires is to be a little less abrasive.

In the interviews I have seen her in over the last month she has avoided questions in exactly the same way as ‘trained’ politicians and was not straight talking in any way whatsoever.

I put her into the same category as Swinson. The more people see her the less they will like her.

kerley
    Free Member

Party leaders don’t need to be likeable; they need to be credible – relatable would be a bonus.

Which one is is Johnson – credible or relatable?

He is likely to be winning.

kelvin

I’ll take the word of the Anti Defamation League over uninformed idiocy thanks.

Selective quoting and understanding.

kelvin

Err no. Not to suite you it won’t.

You can vote libdem.

FFS. Pushing people away Labour still?

People. Please vote Labour. Ignore the cultists. They are few but vocal.

Viewing 40 posts - 4,801 through 4,840 (of 6,291 total)

The topic ‘2019 General Election’ is closed to new replies.