• This topic has 6,282 replies, 176 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by kelvin.
Viewing 40 posts - 4,721 through 4,760 (of 6,291 total)
  • 2019 General Election
  • jam-bo

Apologies. My understanding was that the LDs, if they had got into power, would have cancelled A50, with no further reference to the electorate. I accept that to stop Brexit we have to revoke A50. I think the only acceptable way of sanctioning that is via a second referendum.

They would. On the basis that if they won a majority with a clear policy of revoke then that was in effect a mandate to revoke.

They may have slightly overestimated their support level hence the pivoting to supporting a second referendum…

binners

Brexit isn’t going to be ‘done’ for a decade at least. If ever. It’s taken this long to not even get interim procedures in place. The main complicated bit hasn’t even started.

If the Labour Party didn’t have such a bloody stupid ‘red unicorns’ position themselves they could be hammering this home. As it stands, it’s all ‘don’t Mention the war’ instead

Farcical!

scotroutes

binners

There’s some pretty eye-opening stuff on channel 4 news now from an undercover guy covering Richard Tices election campaign for the Brexit party in Hartlepool. Proper 1970’s National Front style racism 😳

rone

If the Labour Party didn’t have such a bloody stupid ‘red unicorns’ position themselves they could be hammering this home

Corbyn did in the debate the other night. Several times.

Next.

binners

Is that you Seamas?

He didn’t mention the elephant in the room – that Brexit negotiations that will take a decade. He said that within 6 months he’d be back from Brussels with his fantasy red unicorns withdrawal agreement

kimbers

Because their job is to report the news? Having listened to many podcasts with KL on them, it’s clear she’s no fan of the current Tory press machine, as many other journalists have expressed, they all realise they’re being fed stuff by both sides. Report it, and folk like you think she’s a stooge, don’t report it, and the Tory party it becomes the Liberal BBC Bias, and it becomes their story all day.

Can’t win.

I agree I don’t think she’s conciously biased but I do think she should be publicly naming the senior Tories who fed the lies

molgrips
    Free Member

Well, if you agree to single market and customs union, you don’t need a free trade agreement, so it could be done pretty quickly. I think that’s what they’re referring to with the 6 months.

binners

At the risk of getting into this yet again, they’re not proposing we stay in THE customs union, it’s A customs union (whatever that means), and they’re not proposing staying in the single market, they’re talking about ‘close alignment’ with the single market (whatever that means).

So we will need to negotiate a trade agreement.

binners

Anyway Molls, you didn’t get your vote in on time so you’re no longer entitled to an opinion 😛

slowoldman

I doubt Boris will be fighting the next election even if he wins a majority Thursday which is far from a certainty.

If indeed there are ever any more General Elections (Tory manifesto page 42).

bruneep
    binners

Once Cummings has sorted everything the next election will be a Mugabe type affair where Boris gets 128% of the vote

kelvin

I do think she should be publicly naming the senior Tories who fed the lies

They all should. They are being played. Trust in tv and radio journalism is being deliberately eroded by the likes of Cummings and Gove. ITN & BBC news will be further neutered by the government after this election, with the populace cheering them in.

ctk
    Free Member

They should be naming them because its newsworthy. “Senior Tory lied to journalists to deflect from NHS debacle” is a story in itself. Jesus Christ if Corbyn told a lie he’d be answering questions about it in every interview for the next ten years.

slowoldman

Apologies. My understanding was that the LDs, if they had got into power, would have cancelled A50, with no further reference to the electorate.

I believe that is still the case, should the LiDems form a majority government. We know however that isn’t going to happen so they have a fall back in case they form part of a coalition or alliance which is to demand a second referendum.

outofbreath
    Free Member

If indeed there are ever any more General Elections (Tory manifesto page 42).

Fisheries, farming and coastal communities?

https://vote.conservatives.com/our-plan

Gowrie
    Free Member

They would. On the basis that if they won a majority with a clear policy of revoke then that was in effect a mandate to revoke.

You may believe that’s acceptable, I don’t.

binners

We’ve definitely crossed a line with this election, and it’s got Cummings fingerprints all over it. We’re into Bannon/Trump territory of just blatantly making shit up. The media in this country need to wise up and start reporting this new ‘reality’ for what it is and start calling out these lies and stunts

dovebiker

Watching the BBC debate – judging by the attitudes of some of the people I say **** ’em – what a right shit shower the lot of them!

Edukator
    Free Member

Don’t forget freedom of movement, Molgrips.

The resolution warns against any trade-off between security and the future EU-UK economic relationship, opposes any sort of cherry picking or a piecemeal economic relationship based on sector-specific deals, and reiterates the indivisibility of the four freedoms of the single market – free movement of goods, capital, services, and people.

What Labour wants is unacceptable. You can’t stay in the single market without freedom of movement. Binners is right, negotiations on trade start when Britain leaves and not before.

https://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/press-room/20170329IPR69054/red-lines-on-brexit-negotiations

Edit: oh and we pulled the plug tonight. This election was my last hope that Brexit might never happen. The polls now tell me it will. The pound is at levels that reflect polls predict a large Tory majority and there’s been some short covering before the election. We sold half our sterling assets before the referendum and today is the best post referendum rate I’ve had so all the rest went bar some petty cash. I’ve lost hope/faith and from here on in I’m just a detatched observer with nothing to lose.

slowoldman

Fisheries, farming and coastal communities?

Erm… Sorry, 42 is the answer to life, the universe and everything. I meant Page 48.

After Brexit we also need to look
    at the broader aspects of our constitution: the relationship between the Government, Parliament and the courts; the functioning of the Royal Prerogative; the role of the House
    of Lords; and access to justice for ordinary people. The ability of our security services to defend us against terrorism and organised crime is critical. We will update the Human Rights Act and administrative law to ensure that there is a proper balance between the rights of individuals, our vital national security and effective government. We will ensure that judicial review is available to protect the rights of the individuals against an overbearing state, while ensuring that it is not abused to conduct politics by another means or to create needless delays. In our first year we will set
    up a Constitution, Democracy & Rights Commission that will examine these issues in depth, and come
    up with proposals to restore trust
    in our institutions and in how our democracy operates.

squirrelking
    Free Member

And then we’ll wake up.

binners

Angela Rayner is playing a blinder here, especially with Tory Boy.

She’s obviously being groomed for the succession. Should have done it 2 years ago

raybanwomble
    Free Member
    frankconway

Tonight’s debate reflects poorly on labour, tory, LD & Brexit – rayner, jenrick, swinson & farage shouting over each other, not allowing others to make a point.
    Nothing unusual in that.
    I cannot see any of the audience being impressed by what they’re seeing & hearing.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Angela Rayner is playing a blinder here, especially with Tory Boy.

She’s obviously being groomed for the succession. Should have done it 2 years ago

I can’t watch QT at the moment, but I’ve read she’s being ripped apart on brexit.

kimbers

Johnson’s car crash interview & the Hancock fake news response today , will it make a difference?

I’ll expect a full on monistering of corbyn tomorrow

binners

Hardly surprising. The whole ‘honest broker’ red unicorns nonsense is a total farce. Jeremy still sat on his fence

It’s like the thing they do on Fighting Talk on a Saturday morning on five live where for 2 minutes they have to ‘defend the indefensible’

It’s interesting watching the man frog on QT. Because it’s a young audience, he can barely disguise his contempt for them. He’s not even trying. He knows his audience. Racist pensioners

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Yeah, considering that she has stated that focusing on ethnic minorities and women’s agendas has had a ‘negative impact’ for white working-class boys – I’m not surprised she couldn’t deflect the attack, she’s a nativist MRA in left wing clothing. When Labout fail again in 2025 people will be viewing and talking about her as Labours version of Sarah Palin.

Cougar

At the risk of getting into this yet again, they’re not proposing we stay in THE customs union, it’s A customs union (whatever that means), and they’re not proposing staying in the single market, they’re talking about ‘close alignment’ with the single market (whatever that means).

As much as I’ve teased Binners in the past, he’s bang on the money here.

Also, that Chris Brookmyre tweet ^^ is a shocker.

mattyfez

Labour’s deal will essentially be the same as May’s deal, there’s no other option unless labour accept FOM to enable closer allotment. Alignment.

That’s the acheles heal in labour’s position.

Lib dems, if they get a majority, they will have a mandate unilaterally revoke, not going to happen but perfectly reasonable.
    They’ve also said they’ll support the least worst option, so they’ll support a second referendum with the option of a Labour unicorn vs revoke.

It’s not rocket science.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

That Graun article linked above is a gem of journalism.

Debbonaire looked round helplessly. Where was the headline act? Someone behind her shrugged. Haven’t a clue, mate. In desperation, Debbonaire ad-libbed some of the highlights of her own set that she had delivered just minutes earlier. “Who wants a Labour government?” “Is Boris a liar?” In an ideal world, the crowd would have responded by singing Bon Jovi’s, “Woah, We’re half way there / Woah, Thangham Debbonaire.” But, sadly, this was no Richard Curtis romcom.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Quite a brexity bunch of millennials on QT aren’t they!

ctk
    Free Member

HTF did JS become leader of the LDs?

raybanwomble
    Free Member

How the **** did any of them get to their positions! The only competent ones on QT seem to be Plaid Cymru and the SNP MP’s!

They rise up the ranks by being friends with the right people internally, they’re the same type of people that are good at rising up corporates despite being utterly useless.

dantsw13

QT audiences are always carefully selected to balance views.

Cougar

“balance”??

jag61

Ray ban has it and whilst being a bit of a wimp in a confrontation and not to condone violence I really wanted plaid guy to swing in a big left to put froggy on his arse and rayner could have gone for a double elbow to Tory boy and froggy what a shower of shyte were all doomed captain

mattyfez

I agree rayban.

Improvise, adapt, overcome!

Delegation! Deflection! Denial!

Viewing 40 posts - 4,721 through 4,760 (of 6,291 total)

The topic ‘2019 General Election’ is closed to new replies.