• This topic has 6,282 replies, 176 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by kelvin.
Viewing 40 posts - 4,441 through 4,480 (of 6,291 total)
  • 2019 General Election
  • PJM1974
    Free Member

45 years old here and absolutely no chance of voting Conservative. If anything, I’m more vehemently anti-Tory than ever. I’m also happy to pay more tax for better services too.

martinhutch

You realise the graphic you posted disagrees? At 40-49, more people vote Labour.50-59 is where the tipping point is. And getting older, interestingly.

Well, I tend to disagree with this. Somewhere between 40 and 60 must be a point where we are at 50/50. The relative closeness of the scores in the 40-49 cohort and the wider gap in the 50-59s suggests to me that this tipping point happens somewhere in the mid to late 40s. I suspect that more detailed data is out there somewhere.

It’s not an generic insult to all over 45s anyway, as even at 50/50 half of them are still supporting Labour, it is just that more of them are ‘tending’ to support the Tories than younger people. For whatever reason.

45 years old here and absolutely no chance of voting Conservative. If anything, I’m more vehemently anti-Tory than ever.

I share this position, I’m 49 and are more vehemently anti-Tory than ever, and I can’t see that trend reversing into my 60s and beyond (unless I go senile, obviously) – I wonder whether, after the experience of the past few years, the trend of older=more Tory will reverse and you’ll get a substantial and persistent Labour vote emerging.

codybrennan
    Free Member

A wee theory I’ve built- its Johnson’s team that are doing the recent leaks, via Corbyn.

The latest this week was NI, and the border, which we all knew was the way it was going to go. This report, like the others before it, was suppressed.

So why is it out there now?

Simple- BJ doesn’t need the DUP any more.

See if this makes sense to you- he’s needed them up to now for supply and comfort, and its cost him politically (and financially). Clearly, he’s rather dispense with them- but can only do so if the parliamentary arithmetic works out.

Up until very recently, this wasn’t certain. But now that TBP are on the retreat, and its high-profile members (Annunziata Rees-Mogg and others) are advising members to vote for the Cons as an avenue to hard Brexit*, the DUP can be sidelined.

So why release the report? Simple. To convince the faithful that he’s serious about delivering a hard Brexit- they all know, deep down, that NI is the obvious cost of HB, and by getting this report out there he shows that he’s up for doing it.

Corbyn, sadly, has to run with this and make any capital that he can.

*TBP is now revealed for what its always been- a pressure group designed to whip the Cons into line.

Further evidence- when Gavin Williamson spilled the Huawei report this year, May instantly flushed him out via an internal inquiry. No such inquiries have been forthcoming on any of the recent ‘leaks’.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MSP

For whatever reason.

Fear, the tories are masters at creating, selling and capitalising on fear.

Labour sell hope.

It’s after 40 that all the hopes you had when you were young are squeezed out of you by experiance, and fear starts to take a more prominent role in your psych. At least for most people IMO.

kelvin

It’s not an generic insult to all over 45s anyway

Of course it isn’t. And you also get plenty of youngsters (some privileged, some just right wing) who voted for Brexit and will vote Tory. But, when it comes down to it… it is mostly the older generations that voted to close Europe off to young workers and will vote Tory despite the further effect it will have on the education system and other services that so many young people could benefit from.

rone

Come on!

I don’t trust any of the polls but I need the hope!

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Cock up and humiliating defeat are not the same thing. The battle for Western France was a defeat and a cockup. The battle for Dunkirk was anything but. They were successful in fighting to the sea, in maintaining a beachhead against incredible odds,the “cheese eating surrender monkeys” held off 5 divisions with a battalion to allow 370,000 troops to escape. The ordinary people who took their pleasure craft into a war zone to exfiltrate those troops with no thought for themselves. No one involvwd in that shoukd feel either humiliated or defeated. A little bit more of that attitude and maybe brexit wouldn’t be a thing. Nor would the Tories.

piemonster

I don’t trust any of the polls but I need the hope!

I think quite a few of us will take any hope we can get, me included.

piemonster

Another 40 something that’s never been more anti Tory than I am now.

If anything, it’s fear of what the Conservatives will continue do to the poor/vulnerable that have driven that.

cinnamon_girl

Dr Bob Gill’s latest film “The Great NHS Heist” and worth a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwlvLe-X27o&feature=youtu.be

slowoldman

Can I just say 65+ and as above? I know a lot like me too.

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

I’m in my 40’s too and am more anti-Tory than at any stage in my life

I’ll be voting tactically to try and get rid of the Tories from my seat (~1800 majority currently)

I can’t ever foresee a situation where I would consider voting Tory, I cannot forgive them for what they’ve done to this country

pipm1
    Free Member

I’m in Fife where the SNP beat the LibDems by just 2 votes in 2017. I’ll likelyu vote SNP this time rather than LibDems as I think there’s less risk of them getting into bed with the Cons. Plus the LibDems revoke Brexit policy seems immature & their dodgy campaign leaflet figures made them look like they were joining the current fashion for lies. Plus Sturgeon seems like an adult politician compared with the rest. I’d consider Labour if they weren’t a distant 3rd here, but FPTP makes voting for them pointless.

I just wish the SNP would tone down the IndyRef2 talk a bit & not be so pushy about getting it in 2020; I voted no in IndyRef1 but would probabl vote Yes in IndyRef2 – but only if the UK had already Brexit’ed. I guess it’d be a bit politically muddy for SNP to campaign this election like that though. Ho-hum, interesting but worrying times.

onewheelgood

I’m 60, never voted Tory in my life and definitely not going to start now. They disgust me, and I just cannot understand why anyone would vote for them. I’ll be voting tactically in the hope of keeping them out in my constituency.

onewheelgood

kerley – do you know who owns YouGov? There is a Tory connection!

For a polling company, letting political bias skew their results is commercial suicide. It’s just bad business. So they don’t.

outofbreath
    Free Member

The English are selfish bastards who would rather vote to keep another 1p in their wallets and purses than pay extra to fund public services.

Scots are no different. The SNP went nowhere while they had their ‘Penny for Scotland’ policy. As soon as they dropped it their vote picked up dramatically.

Plus Scotland’s had tax raising powers for yonks now and they *still* haven’t put income tax up to be significantly more than the rest of uk.

The Lib dems have a 1p increase in income tax policy this time (I’ve voted for it) and their leader is highly likely to lose her Scottish Seat.

So it’s not an exclusively English/Welsh/Irish problem by any means.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Stereotypically I should vote Tory. I’m probably one of the top 1% richest people in the this country, let alone the world.
    But I work for charities, pet cats, play guitar and ride bikes and vote for who I think will help poor folk best, not me – I’m pretty much insulated from anything a government does.

outofbreath
    Free Member

For a polling company, letting political bias skew their results is commercial suicide. It’s just bad business. So they don’t.

+1.

And as with all crazy conspiracy theories you have to explain how it’s been kept secret. Yougov must employ dozens of professional actuarial types. How you going to keep all of them quiet when they swap jobs and go to a competitor?

kerley
    Free Member

Stereotypically I should vote Tory. I’m probably one of the top 1% richest people in the this country, let alone the world.

Yep, and mine is all down to luck (genetics, finding high paid jobs that suit my ability) but we are clearly not selfish and would like life to be better for the less fortunate.

A lot of people don’t.

dannyh
    Free Member

A wee theory I’ve built- its Johnson’s team that are doing the recent leaks, via Corbyn.

Nah, it is the Russkies again.

This destabilization of other countries and blocs is the stock in trade of the likes of Vladislav Surkov. Keep everyone guessing, chasing their own tails until no one knows what is true and what isn’t. That way Putin et al get to play the ‘it is a dangerous world out there, fellow citizens, but you are uniquely lucky to have steady hands like us to look after you’ card.

They will often do things that seem counter to their own interests, but you have to remember it is the uncertainty they cause outside of Russia that is their true aim.

kimbers

Opinium have a very different poll

outofbreath
    Free Member

we are clearly not selfish and would like life to be better for the less fortunate.

Unless you both make significant donations to the Treasury in accordance with what you think you ought to be contributing there’s zero cause for the mutual back slapping.

codybrennan
    Free Member

‘Member

Nah, it is the Russkies again.’

No, its Johnson 🙂 that Russian thing has already been discredited.

outofbreath
    Free Member

that Russian thing has already been discredited.

Linky?

Vader
    Free Member

I’m in Fife where the SNP beat the LibDems by just 2 votes in 2017

My work mate lives in Fife in Stephen Gethin’s constituency – on the day of the 2017 election he asked me who they should vote for as they weren’t 100% sure what was best to deny the Tories. I suggested that in that constituency probably the SNP. That evening he and his partner both voted SNP.

Next morning the look on his face was priceless

I was 50 this year and have never voted conservative, and hope to christ I never have to. But, and it’s a big but, suppose one day something worse comes along and looks like it might take your seat? Would you tactically vote tory to keep out farage?

I remember growing up through the Thatcher years, the national misery of it all, the degradation of communities and the massive increase in personal greed and wealth. The endless Steve Bell cartoons. On a personal level my family was torn about by government policy, and probably never recovered. Toward the end of those years I worked in areas decimated by the destruction of industry, god it was pitiful even to someone’s eyes who had seen nothing better. And then, and then…the Blair years of hope and prospects and what seemed like a fair crack of life’s whip. Things worked, life seemed sensible and smoking got banned in public places.

And then the stupid bastard took the yankee dollar and **** it all.

Lets not forget wee Gordie though, even then there was hope and what I think was respect. I didn’t listen to the radio on the way to work and think ‘my god I am actually Sarah Connor’. Michael Gove didn’t exist in that world. We laughed at ghouls like Duncan Smith and Mogg because that is what they were. Now, they have the wheel.

I’m a moderate, left of centre kind of guy but it seems to me that by and large I have been a loser in my short time on earth. Not on a personal scale – I have a nice life that I wouldn’t change – but on a geopolitical scale. Despite everything, all the evidence to the contrary, vast swathes of the country can’t get enough of being treated badly, disdainfully and without respect.

I reject that from anybody, let alone a Government, and so should you.

Years ago I found myself by chance having breakfast with a random priest in a cafe. I am the least religious guy on the street but I do enjoy a blather now and then. Anyway, I have no recollection of what he said apart from one thing –

‘when everything else has gone, you will always have hope’.

rone

Opinium have a very different poll

No movement at all for any party in well over a week?

Balls I say.

scotroutes

So it’s not an exclusively English/Welsh/Irish problem by any means.

You might want to read the post above mine

daveylad
    Free Member

Near 50 and never more anti labour. If I was poor and/or northern maybe, or expect the state to support me, but im none of these. Boris it is 🙂
    Wipe yer tears haters!!

MSP

Wipe yer tears haters!!

50 years old, and using words expected out of the mouths from spoiled amarican teenage brats, definitely a tory.

outofbreath
    Free Member

No movement at all for any party in well over a week?

Balls I say.

The polls mean nothing this time. There’s no accurate way to deduce seats from the numbers.

We’ll find out next Friday and not before.

kelvin

Let’s hope daveylad’s luck doesn’t change, and he never expects the state to support him. Don’t one in three of us get cancer though? I wouldn’t take the risk and vote assuming that it would never be me that misfortune would fall upon. The tears may yet come for you daveylad, and we would genuinely feel for you, and be happy to pay our share for the NHS to be there for you.

dovebiker

We’re 99% certain to sell-up and move to Scotland in the new year – even my wife who is English wants to see the back of this shit-show. She’s spent 15 years as carer for her disabled mother and has got nothing to show for it – no money, no pension. I’m 55, spent the last 18 months trying to get a business off the ground, spent a fair chunk of my redundancy and its dire – nobody is spending any money and that isn’t going to change soon. We can release enough equity from our house sale to buy a cheaper house, top-up my pension and at least move somewhere nice where half the population aren’t small-minded, self-entitled dicks.

binners

Mrs Binners is very proud today. She’s a Wigan Lass and this is where she’s from ‘welcoming’ Joris Bohnson

Boris Johnson abandons Lancashire visit after protesters take over towns high street

Scuttling off back to London with his tail between his legs 😂

outofbreath
    Free Member

we would genuinely feel for you, and be happy to pay our share for the NHS to be there for you.

So would a Tory voter, so would a Tory Government. So would someone voting for pretty much any other party in the UK.

The Conservatives have been running the NHS for ~44 years of its ~71 year of History. (Labour have been running it for ~27 years.) Every time there’s an election we’re been told the Torys will sell of the NHS and every time they don’t.

Labour are spending a pittance on the NHS – 3bn more than is already planned when they had 58bn spare! (We know they had 58bn spare because they were later able to allocate it to WASPI women.) So with 61bn sitting about un-allocated they chose to spend only 3bn on the NHS:

https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck/factcheck-labours-nhs-rescue-plan

Crying wolf doesn’t even work – as things stand 36pc of people think the Torys have the best HS policy against 34pc who think Labour do.

kiksy
    Free Member

Mrs Binners is very proud today. She’s a Wigan Lass and this is where she’s from ‘welcoming’ Joris Bohnson

“Cakes now being packed away”

🙂

kimbers

Labour are spending a pittance on the NHS – 3bn more than is already planned

The issue is that Johnson is lying he won’t spend that money

And labours money back to councils could ease the burden on the nhs

outofbreath
    Free Member

somewhere nice where half the population aren’t small-minded, self-entitled dicks.

Whereas in Scotland 38% are small-minded, self-entitled dicks. If avoiding Leavers is the objective move to Cambridge.

…and since the vast majority of Scottish seats have gone to no-deal Leavers (of the UK) aren’t you just going somewhere with even more Nationalist small-minded, self-entitled dicks?

If you’d said were going for the scenery and the lower population density I’d agree with you.

outofbreath
    Free Member

The issue is that Johnson is lying he won’t spend that money

If my reading of the link is correct that isn’t relative to Johnson’s promise, that’s relative to
    the current planned spending.

Either way Labour are promising a pittance on the NHS – unless you think the current funding is pretty must adequate it’s fairly obvious that 3bn is not enough – healthcare inflation is brutal and we know Labour tens of billions up their sleeve which they chose to leave unspent rather than give to the NHS.

kelvin

So would a Tory voter,

True.

so would a Tory Government.

Have you read anything written by any of the current government about how provision of, and payment for, healthcare should be transformed in future. Go do so now. This is not just another Tory Government about to be elected, and people who have voted Tory in the past only have a few days to wake the **** up and realise that.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Holy shit. Just got word from MIL! She’s **** livid. And so am I. She was canvassed at her door by someone (after talking) claiming to be (or represent) her local ‘LibDem’ candidate. Left a card with a name. MIL looked them up, turns out they are the Brexit candidate (or at least the name on the card is)

Dirty pool.

Viewing 40 posts - 4,441 through 4,480 (of 6,291 total)

The topic ‘2019 General Election’ is closed to new replies.