• This topic has 6,282 replies, 176 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by kelvin.
Viewing 40 posts - 4,361 through 4,400 (of 6,291 total)
  • 2019 General Election
  • mrsheen
    Free Member

The vast majority of people are stupid and want an easy life interspersed with the odd laugh and vent at a common enemy. Boris provides the chance to laugh at his buffoonery and rant as to how someone so stupid has achieved such power. If you as the Tories have consistently done, depict a rival in a negative light then Boris’s fun appeal only increases. He’s a loveable rogue to many which is why sadly the Tories will win.

kimbers

It’s not that though, is it.

its a norway deal without FOM

but labour conference backed FOM, so if he wants the access of a Norway deal he’ll have to concede the FOM of the Norway deal (which is a benefit to the country anyway….) & he can just say that conference voted for it

kelvin

I’m keeping on trying. The message in these cases has to be ‘you’re not voting for Corbyn (zero chance of a majority), you’re voting against boris’

Same here. A few successes, but some just don’t want their vote to be taken as support for Corbyn. Again. Brick wall. Frustrating.

its a norway deal without FOM

Self contradictory nonsense.

Labour are proposing a customs union with the EU… Norway doesn’t have that. Labour are not proposing EFTA, FoM, or us being a Single Market signatory, all of which are key to Norway’s arrangements with EU & EEA. Labour’s proposals are not based even slightly on the deal that Norway has. Don’t repeat nonsense just because it sounds simple.

binners

why aren’t opposition parties or the media highlighting this to the electorate?

The media are entirely complicit and the leader of the opposition is planning (in the very unlikely event of getting elected) on putting what will end up being a very similar deal back to the electorate, which as a lifelong Brexiteer he will enthusiastically champion.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Locally the Red Voters are typically leavers.
    The Blue voters are typically remainers.
    The Blue voters typically think Boris is a joke.

How do you come to these conclusions if you can’t find any red or blue voters?

Like this:

Locally the Red Voters are typically leavers.
    The Blue voters are typically remainers.

I conclude this because in the election where UKIP did well ~3500 vots came off Labour at the same time as ~3500 votes went to UKIP. At the election where UKIP fizzled ~3500 vots came off UKIP at the same time as ~3500 votes went to Labour.

The Blue voters typically think Boris is a joke.

I conclude this because I’m involved in a local issue which involves a lot of contact with councillors for the local wards. Most of them are Blue and we all get on well so I know what they think of Boris. I’m extrapolating from them.

You’re going to say that neither conlcusion is conclusive, and you’re right. That’s my point, this election is impossible to call.

PrinceJohn
    Free Member

If Labour would get off the fence on Brexit they could get my vote, despite Corbin, who I think is a danger to the country. But without that clarity, I cannot vote for them.

What fence? They’ve said they’ll sort out a basic withdrawal agreement, put that to a legally binding referendum & go with that result.

I genuinely think that’s the only way forward on Brexit now. Do you have a better idea?

Have a look at this website – https://voteforpolicies.org.uk/ it might help.

kimbers

Self contradictory nonsense.

quite

which is why in the end he will have to accept the Norway deal with FOM

kelvin

But without that clarity, I cannot vote for them.

I hear this a lot. Many people see what is in front of them as Johnson’s Brexit or Corbyn’s Brexit. Given the choice, I’d pick the latter… but others see that as the worst possible path. Why would a previously Tory voter, who can see the unavoidable damage of Brexit, vote Labour at this election if they see that as likely to result in Brexit still happening, but with Corbyn &Milne &Murray &Len &Co in charge?

dazh

I have traditionally voted Conservative, but I am a strong Remainer

You’re a strong remainer and are still conflicted on who to vote for in a Tory/labour seat???

kelvin

You’re a strong remainer and are still conflicted on who to vote for in a Tory/labour seat???

Because…

Corbyn &Co.
    And their Brexit.
    You’ll get it eventually Daz.

kelvin

VOTE LABOUR

Cougar

So I genuinely have a dilemma.

If leave / remain is genuinely the biggest issue for you:

Don’t look at the country, look at your own constituency. See who’s the biggest threat to the Tories locally, hold your nose and vote for them whoever it is.

As I’ve said before, for me it’s an easy choice. I’m in a Labour seat which for years has consistently held a majority over the Tories by just a couple of hundred votes. Everyone else is a long way behind. Doing anything other than voting Labour, including not voting at all, is effectively a vote for the Tory party for me.

dazh

Corbyn &Co.

Bollox. Anyone using this as an excuse to not vote labour is an idiot, especially when the alternative is a lying scumbag and his merry band of bigots and liars (the latest of which is someone who thinks disabled people should be paid less because they’re a bit simple). Fair enough if you want to live in a country where you have to pay privately for everything, and you can afford that, but if not, there is only one choice.

On brexit, again there is only one rational choice if you’re a remainer. If you want to stop brexit, there is only one way to do it, and only one party offering it.

If you want to be a self-interested **** driven by base reactionary instincts however, then again there is an obvious choice.

Cougar

Bollox. Anyone using this as an excuse to not vote labour

Time and again I see posts from people who seem to be just looking for excuses (not just here but generally). Iraq war, tuition fees, Corbyn, etc etc.

You might think Corbyn is literally Beelzebub incarnate but this is a general election with stakes that could impact the lives your grandchildren’s kids, not a popularity contest.

On brexit, again there is only one rational choice if you’re a remainer.

Yes. Vote tactically against the Tories.

If you want to stop brexit, there is only one way to do it, and only one party offering it.

Correct, but those two statements may not carry the same answer.

5thElefant
    Free Member

You might think Corbyn is literally Beelzebub incarnate

Good point well made.

but this is a general election with stakes that could impact the lives your grandchildren’s kids, not a popularity contest.

Absolutely. Vote for anyone but Beelzebub incarnate.

dazh

Yes. Vote tactically against the Tories.

Yes, absolutely, I was specifically referring to the case of solarider there.

ferrals
    Free Member

Anyone using this as an excuse to not vote labour is an idiot,

Bit rich coming from someone who has consistently railed against brexiteers being labelled stupid 😉

I think two things get conflated with the dislike of Corbyn
    1) A perception that he isn’t a ‘good’ leader
    2) A perception that his policies are too hard left – which may be rational from the more centrist blairite labour voter.

Neither things are necessarily idioit to belive.. whether they are correct or not is another question.

boomerlives
    Free Member

If you want to stop brexit, there is only one way to do it, and only one party offering it.

LibDem are the only big party offering it. But I don’t think that’s what you meant.

frankconway

I’m in a tory held constituency which was leave at the referendum.
    Have received one campaign leaflet – from the tories; wasted on me as I won’t be voting for their candidate.
    No doorstepping by any candidates; I’m wfh for a while so unlikely I’ve missed any campaigners.
    That suggests apathy on the part of candidates.
    If there was ever an election where parties should be out there campaigning and drumming up support, it’s this one.

dazh

Good point well made.

Devil incarnate indeed….

boomerlives
    Free Member

Smugness on the part of the Tory party

Fear on the Labour front

outofbreath
    Free Member

Have received one campaign leaflet – from the tories; wasted on me as I won’t be voting for their candidate.
    No doorstepping by any candidates; I’m wfh for a while so unlikely I’ve missed any campaigners.
    If there was ever an election where parties should be out there campaigning and drumming up support, it’s this one.

Campaigners are volunteers. If you think there’s not enough political volunteer action going on in your area, pick a party and volunteer for them.

If you can’t be arsed, why should anyone else bother?

If you want to be a self-interested ****

Which party are you saying is the one to vote for in my own best interests and which are the ones that aren’t in my self-interest?

slowoldman

Because…

Corbyn &Co.
    And their Brexit.
    You’ll get it eventually Daz.

If you are a strong remainer task no.1 is to reduce the number of Tory seats as much as possible. That means voting for the party with the best chance of defeating them in your constituency. Traditional party allegiances are irrelevant in this election. There will come a time for that later.

kiksy
    Free Member

I’m in a tory held constituency which was leave at the referendum.

Is it a safe Tory seat?

If so many activists will spend the time in nearby constituencies that are more likely to switch. It’s all about maximizing impact with the time they have.

frankconway

oob, I know campaigners are volunteers but thanks anyway.
    If any party wants my vote they should make an effort to earn it; are they campaigning on national issues? What impact will their candidate’s party policies have in my constituency?
    I can’t be arsed, according to you; htf would you know?

dazh

Just thought why doesn’t the BBC change the host for tonight’s debate to Andrew Neil at the last minute and invite Corbyn to pull a sickie?

sobriety
    Free Member

I’d Corbyn there, I’d just brief Neil not to ask him any questions until Johnson has squirmed for 30 minutes exactly.

dazh

Bit rich coming from someone who has consistently railed against brexiteers being labelled stupid

See my earlier reply to dannyh on this.

kimbers

Good thread here

I do think Corbyn has been crap but Tories ability to monster Labour leaders via the rw press cannot be underestimated

Corbyn has more baggage to pin on him than most though

I can’t see anything other than a Tory majority now, even if the labour youth vote holding up its not going to be in the right place (too metroplitain)

dazh

Devil incarnate…

Cheezpleez

Just as a point of interest, scrolling through this one page of this thread I have been served 11 identical ads for the local independent hard Brexit gammon candidate. Everywhere I go online I see his odious face. I wonder who’s paying for that?

finishthat
    Free Member

British diplomat resigns over having to ‘peddle half-truths’ on Brexit

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50693537

That is the truth about where the Conbrexit parties have put us

rone

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Good point well made.

Devil incarnate indeed….

Maybe not. Monbiot, on the other hand, is a supremely annoying, virtue-signalling hypocrite, so I’m not certain that his endorsement is worth anything.

JP

grahamh
    Free Member
    cromolyolly
    Free Member

Monbiot, on the other hand, is a supremely annoying, virtue-signalling hypocrite, so I’m not certain that his endorsement is worth anything.

In your opinion, which you are entitled to. What is a fact is that when he writes and article, he nearly always puts a fully reference version on his website. That makes his journalism far more transparent and verifiable than all the rest. I’m sure I’ve heard of a journo who just made stuff up and reported it as fact, the exact opposite of Monbiot, the name just won’t come. I’m sure I’ve heard it a lot recently

rone

Monbiot has written some great stuff.

I don’t agree with everything he says but he’s one of the decent journalists/authors with a moral compass.

sobriety
    Free Member

I think, but i can’t be sure, that his name may have been slang for a male appendage?

kelvin

Morris… something?

MSP

Bojo seems on his best behaviour in that picture, I have no doubts that every instinct he has is compelling him to burn money in the homeless mans face while shouting LOSER!!!! Just like in his bullingdon days.

Viewing 40 posts - 4,361 through 4,400 (of 6,291 total)

The topic ‘2019 General Election’ is closed to new replies.