• This topic has 6,282 replies, 176 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by kelvin.
Viewing 40 posts - 4,281 through 4,320 (of 6,291 total)
  • 2019 General Election
  • stevextc
    Free Member

My girlfriend is a TA in a primary school. She’s one of two in her entire school. I don’t know where you’re getting one teacher and two TAs per class from, that seems ludicrous to me. Maybe what they need there is smaller classes…?

It’s all complex … depends on the amount of “care in the community” that school does and if the kids needing additional help bring their own funding… how many of them require a full time TA to stop them hurting other children etc.

As I say complex… the more violent and/or disruptive they are generally the more funding they bring… the TA’s get cycled because they get worn out being spat on and punched .. so it often takes more than 1 TA to cover a particularly disruptive child

(OH is actually a qualified teacher but was employed as a SEND TA)

scotroutes

Nige is going to be most put out that there really is no point to them any more, and even his own MEP’s can see it. I wonder if he’ll abandon this party a la UKIP and go on to set up the Brexity Brexity Brexit McBrexitface party the House of Lords?

dovebiker

Plenty of ways to encourage people to become teachers like free bursaries for them to teaching qualifications.
    We have a health service heavily dependent on immigrants because Osbourne cut the bursaries for nursing degrees – like someone is going to want to enter a profession where you end up with £30k+ debt to earn £16k a year.

The reason foreign companies would come to the UK is to access a profitable and thriving market and has a motivated, skilled workforce. So you’d chose a country where a significant part of the population are work-shy xenophobes and intent on building a barrier to trade with its neighbours exactly fits that bill?

richmtb

10 years of torys, and yet people going to food banks will still vote for them!!?!?!

I know its astonishing. It the greatest trick the Tories pull, convincing people to vote against their own self-interest.

Edukator
    Free Member

Edit: a good opportunity for me to agree with TJ wholeheartedly. It’s been too long! Listen to him.

Rather than getting insulting, Kelvin, try a reasoned argument against the points I make. TJ hasn’t posted on this thread in while so you must be making a reference to the we’re-not-racist-but thread where TJ did his best to insult me but in fact just did a TJ.

Teachers are undervalued, underpaid, overworked, insulted, derided, threatened… change that and there will be more teachers than teaching jobs.

Now check out teachers payscales compared with other professions requiring similar qualifications and commitment.

Now check out the amount of admin, meetings, preparation, marking and yes, teaching, that teachers do for that pay. And the amount of hassle they deal with from their bosses, parents and pupils.

Now check out the number of threads started on STW over the years to attack teachers. Check the number of anti-teacher posts while you’re at it.

There are many more ex-teachers on this forum than teachers and that should tell you soomthing. The medical scientists are still medical scientists, the IT people still work in IT, the taxi driver still drives a taxi. What other profoession that requires similar personal investment to get in has so many people quit and do something completely different, or move abroad for better conditions?

I know I’m wasting my keystrokes, your personal attitude to me is programmed by my ex-profession, as is that of some other forum members. It’s one of the reasons I chose the pseudo, if you want to get a handle on someone’s mindset really quickly, tell them you’re a teacher.

If the UK wants an education system to match Finland then start by treating teachers the way Fins treat their teachers.

nick1962
    Free Member

Edit: a good opportunity for me to agree with TJ wholeheartedly. It’s been too long! Listen to him.

Edukator looks to me that kelvin may have made a typo and put TJ instead of Edukator?
    Maybe he can confirm?

kelvin

Yeah, apologies, I got confused. Anyway, I agree entirely with the bit I quoted, whoever said it (sorry Ed).

Teachers are undervalued, underpaid, overworked, insulted, derided, threatened… change that and there will be more teachers than teaching jobs.

This is the truth.

DavidB
    Free Member

Has #page48 been done in this thread yet? This above all else is the most compelling reason to vote anything but Conservative

sobriety
    Free Member

I did wonder why Ed went postal at someone who appeared to be agreeing with him.

PrinceJohn

Plenty of ways to encourage people to become teachers like free bursaries for them to teaching qualifications.

The bursaries are only available to those who already have degrees…

kimbers

DavidB

Subscriber
    Has #page48 been done in this thread yet? This above all else is the most compelling reason to vote anything but Conservative

It sums up this election

‘getting brexit done’ the tory manifesto is so vague, but their supporters dont care about anything else

it truly is a victory for the hard right, Tories are simply Blukip now

-See BXP ltd defections to Tories, as much as I like to see them attacking each other, it helps Johnson solidify even more leave votes

kelvin

Has #page48 been done in this thread yet? This above all else is the most compelling reason to vote anything but Conservative.

What has replaced the Conservative party is a team that haven’t exactly disguised their contempt for the rule of law and our courts.

Saw this on twitter just now…

kelvin

…was employed as a SEND TA

Thank her from all of us, please. Bloody tough job. Schools (and LEAs) are current stuck between being mandated to provide this care (it’s much more than teaching) and not having the funds to do so (which again makes it harder for those doing it as they’re over stretched).

kelvin

So, do we think Johnson is waiting for all his Home Counties postal votes to come in before sitting down with Neil (refusing to answer his question and repeating his slogans), or will he duck doing so entirely to show the BBC who’s boss and avoid looking even more like Trump than he has in interviews with Peston and Marr?

And the “can’t find time in his busy schedule” bullshit doesn’t wash with anyone…

outofbreath
    Free Member

do we think Johnson is waiting for all his Home Counties postal votes to come in before sitting down with Neil (refusing to answer his question and repeating his slogans), or will he duck doing so entirely

I think he’d lose less votes ducking it than doing it at and therefore doing it would be a mistake. I think the same probably applied to Corbyn.

For all the other smaller party leaders they’ve got more to gain doing it than they have to lose so avoiding it would be a mistake.

frankconway

No doubt in mind that he’ll duck it.
    He was shredded by Neil on the Brexit deal; has seen other party leaders exposed; Neil has questions johnson can’t or won’t answer; there is no upside for him – other than quieting those calling him a coward.
    The decision has been/will be taken by his minders.
    No morals, no scruples, no integrity; a stranger to the truth.
    Loathsome.

Edukator
    Free Member

Yeah, apologies, I got confused.

LOL – haven’t written that for a while. Or felt so irritated by what thankfully turned out to be a typo.

I was so pissed off at being so gratuitously picked on that I never even considered a typo, and I’m so used to teachers being slagged off it didn’t surprise me from anyone, even ever reasonable Kelvin (in fact that pissd me off even more). So pissed off I looked outside and decided it was time for a thrash on the MTB in some glorious sunshine, I’m now back sweaty, grubby and doubly happy having caught up here.

Thanks for great afternoon, Kelvin !

kelvin

Glad to help you get out for a spin! And sorry again. And I agree with you.

somafunk

I see Sajid Javid has been lying again, this time about the current levels of homelessness, he really is an odious lying little toad and deserves an old fashioned re-education as to why lying is wrong.

Yawn…yet more tory spun lies on homelessness

cromolyolly
    Free Member

gratuitously picked on

montoya

Cougar

(Six Form entry seems like a staggering number to me, where did you live Shenzeng?)

I never really stopped to think about it. It was a regular “county high school” at the time, I’ve just looked on their website now (they call themselves a ‘technology college’ these days and it says their “admission number” – which I presume to mean the annual intake – is 158.

My junior school was smaller – similar sized classes but two per year so circa 250 kids in all I guess. Infant school I don’t really remember now.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Who actually believes Johnson ( I know, I can stop right there) does quadratic equations (or to quote his Dad, could even spell it) to relax in the evening

The man can’t understand that his manifesto results in more tax coming in than not and therefore is a tax hike. How is that that Corbyn is the unelectable one.

Edukator
    Free Member

Which one of the suggestions here:

https://www.linguee.fr/francais-anglais/traduction/agression+gratuite.html

would you prefer, Chromolyolly’? Unless that’s just a piss take.

slowoldman

Does he do quadratic equations whilst painting toy buses?

lister

General election 2019: Andrew Neil issues interview challenge to Johnson https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50679252

This is a strong challenge!

mattyfez

^ I was just about to post exactly the same thing.

If he can’t stand up to Neil, how’s he going to negociate future trade deals with the E.U, China, USA etc. He’ll get chewed up and spat out…

Cougar

I don’t pretend to fully understand this stuff, but isn’t the BBC in breach of, uh, something if BJ doesn’t agree to an interview?

kiksy
    Free Member

I don’t pretend to fully understand this stuff, but isn’t the BBC in breach of, uh, something if BJ doesn’t agree to an interview?

They can’t really force him on, however it did seem like Johnson out maneuvered the BBC/Neil.

This call out is much needed, and the timing after the Farage interview is good.

They’ve pulled back some respectability from this in my eyes.

MSP

If he won’t interview, then the BBC and ITV should use those 1/2 hour slots to analyse his past honesty and trustworthiness by other means.

Dear Mr Blowhard Johnson, if you don’t want to answer questions about your integrity, then we will ask those who have worked with you in the past 20 years their views on your honesty and integrity.

RustySpanner

Even Tha****r left the BBC alone.

Her spiritual successors have no such fears – they have emasculated it already and will destroy it completely within the next couple of years.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Even Prince Andrew agreed to an interview and he was shagging kids.

(not my words)

mattyfez

As above, the BBC or any other entity can’t force him, any more than I can force some other random person to do an interview.

Even though it is convention and all previous potential leaders have honored that.

This is a damage limitation exercise for for the fat sack of entitled meat.

Notice also Rees Mogg has disappeared from the public recently? All in the game.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Good sense maybe. Unbiased behaviour, possibly.

The less openly dismissive of partisan concerns at the Beeb have admitted it was a huge mistake to broadcast one leader’s interview without having all of them in the can.

mariner
    Free Member

Neil has a challenge here https://www.theguardian.com/politics/video/2019/dec/05/it-is-not-too-late-andrew-neil-challenges-johnson-to-commit-to-interview-video

Re quadratic equations and Johnson thought trinomyals would be more his style.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

harcelées ou pris ou tyranisee as opposed to agression, n’est ce pas?

cromolyolly
    Free Member

thought trinomyals would be more his style.

Cos no matter how many times he’d try them, they still wouldn’t add up? Sounds like him

The chap barely scraped out a 2nd at Oxford for goodness sake.

Cougar

As above, the BBC or any other entity can’t force him, any more than I can force some other random person to do an interview.

As I said, I don’t really know anything about it. But I caught a paragraph as I was running out the door the other day, something like they’d told Corbyn that Johnson had agreed to an interview, so he agreed to do one also, then they said “well, we’ve asked him but he’s not actually said yes yet.” Something about Prada or Purdey or some such, some kinda of impartiality clause?

bigdean

Is the class size thing a bit like finding you have a petrol leak on your car so you up the petrol budget for the month?

rone

More poll analysis.

anagallis_arvensis

You can get bursaries for shortage subjects in fact you can get paid more to train to be a science teacher than you get paid for the first few years being a teacher. Doesnt stop my school being unable to recruit sciencevteachers though, we lost 4 last year and replaced them with 1, 3 thevyear before, replaced with one. 10 years ago we had 18 science teachers, full time equivalents, now we have 12 whilst the pupil numbers are growing.

Viewing 40 posts - 4,281 through 4,320 (of 6,291 total)

The topic ‘2019 General Election’ is closed to new replies.