• This topic has 6,282 replies, 176 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by kelvin.
Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 6,291 total)
  • 2019 General Election
  • jam-bo

We have been told they will refuse to play with others. What does that translate to in reality?

[tj]a complete volte-face at the first sniff of a ministerial car?[/tj]

dissonance

Thrashing around and slagging off and swearing about everyone outside your preferred little bubble is exactly what Johnson needs to get his majority

You might want to point that out to the libdems, did you listen yesterday? Far more time dedicated to attacking Corbyn than Johnson. Or, indeed to the likes of Binners.

kiksy
    Free Member

get convincing people to vote to unseat Tories using tactical voting.

It really is this. This election is just damage limitation in my mind. There’s such a risk that things could get very very worse.

kelvin

Far more time dedicated to attacking Corbyn than Johnson

Yes, and the shadow chancellor (who I normally rate) seems to be spending all his time attacking the LibDems… I’m not claiming this missplaced energy is unique to this forum. In fact it comes from politicians at the top, and is then repeated by their tribal supporters. And it’s rife in all the opposition parties, and amongst their supporters. For this election, we either break out of this and work to defeat Conservative MPs, seat by seat, or accept a Johnson majority and spend five years arguing over who’s fault it is.

rone

Does the birth of this thread now mean the Brexit thread is in stasis?

outofbreath
    Free Member

Added to the fact I live in a seat with a 66% winning Tory who has been there for 20+ years and the Leave vote was in the 60+%.

So there’s literally no risk or downside to you voting for the only Remain party and you still won’t do it. I bet you voted for a leave party in the last election too. At least then you had the fig leaf that there wasn’t a national remain party.

This is exactly why the EU have recently accepted we’re leaving. For a long while they thought a bit of delay and the opposition would stop Brexit. In the last couple of months they’ve accepted as fact that there’s no plan to stop Brexit and no desire stop Brexit. Hence this last time they were considering giving a short extension to force Parliament to accept the deal and get it done. We’re just a nation of whiners who are glad to have something to complain about. There’s a risk we’re going to prove it in the coming election. 🙁

I_did_dab
    Free Member

There are very few Libdem/Labour marginals so LibDem attacks on Corbyn/Labour are tactically astute way to reassure soft Tory voters that its safe to vote for them. But…in a system for a two party election, the presence of smaller parties really muddies the outcome. Your vote for the wrong progressive party might allow the non-progressive party in (or the other way round).
    I hope they let 16+17 yearolds vote though.

butcher

Election is a tragic idea right now. The next 5 years of Government decided on Brexit alone. What a shitshow.

footflaps

I’m amazed Labour seem so keen, with JC polling worse than Michael Foot and no apparent election strategy……

olddog

Election Bill is now amendable. Let’s see what opposition parties try lo to sneak in. Votes for 16-17yo, votes for EU residents!

Speeder

I don’t give a flying **** what the other LibDem policies are they’re the only chance in my constituency of ousting the current Tory MP (it’s a slim 2.5k majority in a previously LibDem town) and avoiding Brexit.

I’d urge any vaguely sensible person to vote for whoever has most chance of opposing the Tories in their locale (short of voting Brexit Party Ltd of course). To say “but but they’re not giving me exactly what I want!” is missing the point as if you’re not in the 0.1% the Tories certainly arent and Brexit will do no-one any good.

MoreCashThanDash

Either we all stop bitching and blaming and do all we can to defeat the Tories, or Johnson gets in by default.

Whether Brexit happens or not, I want a government that will start to address the huge social problems we have ignored since 2015

dazh

Otherwise, this election is going be all about taking out Johnson’s support in Parliament one seat at a time… tactical voting or Johnson as PM for 10 years… choose a path.

From the words and actions of Swinson et al over the past couple of months it’s pretty nailed on that the lib dems will only consider allying themselves with the tories. If Johnson has most seats, they’ll be crawling round on their knees looking for a few scraps. If Corbyn wins, they’ll trot out the usual ‘we can work with labour but not <insert leader’s name here>’. This being the case I see little difference between a lib dem MP and a tory one. They had their chance to cooperate with labour and the other parties, and they chose to go their own way, as a result I’m sticking to my view that they can go **** themselves.

binners

Corbyn looks like he’s actually woke up from his usually stupefying torpor. I haven’t seen him this animated since he lost the last election. Apart from when he does his weekly, 10 second, PMQ’s shouty Youtube clip, he’s normally catatonic.

If he actually managed to look this animated, instead of his usual bored health and safety inspector routine, the labour party might be actually polling higher in the first place.

Kryton57

For me its a choice between a reputable liar, an indecisive sleepy communist or Jo Swinson.

kelvin

I see little difference between a lib dem MP and a tory one.

Liar.

go **** themselves

Grow up.

People like you will turn voters away from Labour, and Johnson will laugh all the way to his Xmas as PM.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Please calm down guys – throwing around ad hominems helps no-one.

From what I can see, the government has lost the vote to control the terms of the – if any – forthcoming GE. The rest is up to parliament to decide.

kerley
    Free Member

So there’s literally no risk or downside to you voting for the only Remain party and you still won’t do it. I bet you voted for a leave party in the last election too. At least then you had the fig leaf that there wasn’t a national remain party.

I will vote Green just as I always do as a Green party member thanks. They get about as many votes as Lib Dems where I live so will be helping to take a few of that 66% that the tory MP will no doubt be getting. As I said, I won’t vote Lib Dem because they are shit – shit policies and a shitty leader.

binners

Looks like Boris could yet resort to type and pull it if certain amendments are tabled.

It really is, like Trump, government by petulant toddler, isn’t it?

rone

Either we all stop bitching and blaming and do all we can to defeat the Tories, or Johnson gets in by default.

Whether Brexit happens or not, I want a government that will start to address the huge social problems we have ignored since 2015

I said God Damn!

Come together beat the Tories. Forget personality focus on the policy. Personality is where we got Boz from.

dissonance

It really is, like Trump, government by petulant toddler, isn’t it?

The proposed amendments would almost certainly badly damage the tories. So not unexpected he wouldnt want to risk it as its already enough of a gamble.

footflaps

Looks like Boris could yet resort to type and pull it if certain amendments are tabled.

That would be quite funny…..

martinhutch

Can’t blame him entirely if the opposition parties try to tack on enfranchisement of 16/17-year-olds as an amendment. Perhaps they could also table an amendment which forces him to wear a dunces cap and a sign saying ‘I am a lying ****’ throughout the campaign?

I support enfranchisement, but this is a bit of an ambush.

Northwind

martinhutch

I support enfranchisement, but this is a bit of an ambush.

Not from the SNP point of view, they’ve consistently supported widening voting rights for a long time now

kimbers

wacca wacca wacca

(actually even demob bercow isnt gonna pick this amendment)

martinhutch

Not from the SNP point of view, they’ve consistently supported widening voting rights for a long time now

I meant tacking it onto a bill which has a different purpose. TBH, it is the sort of major electoral change which requires proper debate and its own legislation. Then they can disenfranchise anyone over the age of 70, or who reads the Daily Mail at the same time.

kimbers

EU citizens that weve just forced to get settled status makes more sense

especially as they are already on electoral roll & we let commomwealth citizens with similar settled status vote already

still wont happen tho

slowoldman

Of course they will never be in power anyway so voting Lib Dem is a waste of anybodies time.

No it isn’t. Of course they won’t win an overall majority but if there is a chance of replacing a Con MP with an LD that reduces the Con majority. My constituency is a marginal Con/LD, it has swung both ways in recent GEs. Currently Con but my feeling is there’s a good chance it can swing back to LD. So it’s not a wasted vote..

Election is a tragic idea right now. The next 5 years of Government decided on Brexit alone. What a shitshow.

I agree, Brexit shouldn’t be decided by GE – especially as it’s essentially a cross-party issue anyway. But, we may be stuck with it. So if you don’t want Brexit and you think it’s the biggest issue facing the country, then stuff all your normal voting practices and vote tactically.

kelvin

I meant tacking it onto a bill which has a different purpose.

If the SNP can get something out of this they’ve been pushing for years, then why shouldn’t they?

@slowoldman
    , we need people like you voting LibDem. I’ll be thanking you if you get the result you want there. Good luck. Conversely a vote for LibDems here (instead of Labour) could mean we keep our Con of an MP. Time for cool heads and a seat by seat approach to stopping Johnson getting his majority.

martinhutch

If the SNP can get something out of this they’ve been pushing for years, then why shouldn’t they?

Worth a punt, maybe, but given that they professed to actually want an election, they shouldn’t get too surprised or annoyed if Boris pulls the bill in response.

but if there is a chance of replacing a Con MP with an LD that reduces the Con majority. My constituency is a marginal Con/LD, it has swung both ways in recent GEs. Currently Con but my feeling is there’s a good chance it can swing back to LD. So it’s not a wasted vote..

And likewise, if there is the chance of getting a Labour MP over the line against a Tory, LD voters should be holding their noses and voting Labour if they are serious about stopping a hard(er) Brexit. Even if the Labour MP previously had a reasonable majority, as they could actually be hanging on for grim life come polling day.

The name of the game is preventing Tory MPs getting elected. In the relatively small number of constituencies which could pivot, both Labour and LibDem voters need to look critically at whether voting for their ‘team’ is going to allow a Tory to get in.

kelvin

If they can stop the Brexit legislation, but have to wait ‘till 2020 for an election, it’s still job done for the SNP.

slowoldman

@kelvin – I’ve been a LibDem supporter most of my voting life (which is quite long now) so I’m the one to blame for the student grant firago. I’m lucky to be in a constituency where there is a good chance of an LD MP. If it was neck and neck between LAB and Con I would undoubtedly vote LAB, even given the uncertainty of their Brexit approach. Again, it potentially reduces the Con majority, which has to be the principle aim of anyone still wishing to halt Brexit. Or indeed anyone with any principles!

kimbers

, we need people like you voting LibDem. I’ll be thanking you if you get the result you want there. Good luck. Conversely a vote for LibDems here (instead of Labour) could mean we keep our Con of an MP. Time for cool heads and a seat by seat approach to stopping Johnson getting his majority.

yep Id rather vote lib dem than labour but Tory majority went from 9000 to 1500 at last GE so really would have to go Labour

Be quite happy with a lab/lib coalition but fully aware that Johnson will probably win.

whitestone
    Free Member

We’re in the Skipton and Ripon constituency – https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skipton_and_Ripon_(UK_Parliament_constituency) if the current MP lost then I’d be amazed as at the last election he’d more than twice the number of votes of the next most popular candidate.

dazh

People like you will turn voters away from Labour

Calm down man! I think you overestimate my influence on the result. The only power I have is my vote, and that’s going to labour and no one here will be surprised about that.

As for the lib dems, there was a time not too long ago I was willing to give them the time of day. Then Swinson came along and blew all that away with her preening look-at-me-I’m-so-important politicking and barely disguised rimming of the tory backside. So sorry, they’re getting no favours from me. I’d repeat my sentiments but I don’t want to wind you up any further. Please try to remember that all of us have very little impact on this, so it’s not worth losing your temper over. Whatever the result, life will go on.

kimbers

oh well

dazh

Lets hope he does. The next move will be a VONC and an election at a time convenient for the opposition parties with EU citizens and 16/17 olds included. Boris is about to get a harsh lesson in parliamentary arithmetic and pissing off the DUP.

kimbers

certain amendments havent been selected

Johnson will get what he wants

kelvin

Johnson will get what he wants

I fear we may have to get used to that.

A December election is only in the interests of his party.

outofbreath
    Free Member

I will vote Green just as I always do as a Green party member thanks.

Then you’re not a remainer, or not in any meaningful way. The greens are so extreme in their Euro-skepticism that Farage voted for them when he decided the Tories weren’t Brexity enough for him.

Let’s take a look at their current EU policy (I know you’re familiar with it, but others might not be):

https://policy.greenparty.org.uk/eu.html

EU301 The present EU structures are fundamentally flawed.

EU310 The Green Party believes that the excessive influence of the Commission and its associated bodies compared to the Council and Parliament is both undemocratic and unaccountable.

The CJEU should be given a statute which defines and limits its powers

The CJEU should no longer be allowed to promote European integration in its judgements

EU401 The single market may be summarised as a massive restructuring of capital around a small number of large corporations and financial institutions

Viewing 40 posts - 361 through 400 (of 6,291 total)

The topic ‘2019 General Election’ is closed to new replies.