Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 332 total)
  • 2019 Enduro Racing Thread
  • ayjaydoubleyou

Will this be as popular as the XC thread by Kryton?

Hoping to up my racing commitment next year, with the aim of being top half in my age category in the Southern Enduros. Also looking to try some others, probably only in the south of England, possibly south Wales.

Definitely looking to do the Southern Enduro Champs again, to make up for my embarrassment this year.

How should I look to improve? fitness and skill, places to go to practice and so on. Tyre chat welcome too. New bike is on the cards already!

Currently ride 2-3 times a week, at least one of which will be a physically hard effort, go bouldering 1-2 times a week. As it gets sloppy, one of those rides might get replaced with a run.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Fitness for me at the moment, was a very disjointed year what with moving back and all the expense of that. Planning to do a January calendar check and start booking things in for 2019.

Wish I could be heading back to EWS Derby again as I’m sure the weather will be perfect this year.

Still fancy doing a race on the continent again for some sunshine and a different vibe.

As for improvement the people I know who have had the most success have been excellent across everything but I’d say not being hanging by the time you hit the back end of the course is a major advantage!! So some good fitness work, enjoying the gravel commute at the moment 🙂

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Yeah im in

Tracey

With a bit of luck I will be watching again. Doing my one token race at the weekend before I have my foot operated on again next week so will be off the bike for a while. Need to keep my fitness up so that I can ride in places I wouldnt normally ride.

On a mum point of view I hope next year that we dont have to get through as many injuries as we have this year. I cant think of a race that we have gone into without one or come away unscathed.

From a spectator view point more and more riders are being injured which is never good for the sport or the individual and their families

Next years calendar is filling up quickly

scaled
    Free Member

I need to ride my mountain bike more. I spent 6 months of this year without one, then when my new bike turned up, so did a baby.

I’m probably the fittest i’ve ever been but not carrying any speed at all through corners so i’m still dying at the end of a stage. Riding round Marple means that I’m fine smashing through a rock garden at warp 10 but corners, yeah, not so much.  I actually came to a stand still a couple of times at the weekend for absolutely no good reason.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’m just glad to make it through this season without actually smashing myself to bits. Which is the first time in 3 years. That said, I still have some physical and mental hangups from the above injuries, which have meant I’ve spent most of the year riding like an idiot.

I can’t complain too much though, I managed to come second overall in the Southern Enduro series, I won a few races, I podiumed a few others, and had plenty of top tens. I managed to make it out to an EWS (Finale) and despite a total race day balls up of punctures and crashes, I survived and could take some positives that I should have been around the 50% mark in my category, which given the above, I’d happily have taken.

This winter I’m not doing any specific training. Over the past few years I’ve tried to get into the turbo & zwift etc, but it boxes me to tears. I’d rather be fatter and less fit than put myself through it. So I’ll focus on the gym & keep up with the functional fitness stuff, carry on playing squash all winter and ride my bike as much as I can over the weekends, probably head to toe in waterproofs.

Next year I probably won’t bother with the whole Southern Enduro series, what makes them good is annoying me a bit with them now, being only a day means little loops and short stages. I want to do some bigger races again.

So, a select few of them, some nationals pending locations, the Southern Champs as that was great, and hopefully a couple of EWS’s if I can get entries.

My main goal is to get back the lost bit of speed which is mostly in my head but will be facilitated by going to the gym and getting fitter and stronger.

I’ve got a couple of races left this year, one DH race (my only one this season, which isn’t good, need a local series again!) And the last round of the WGES in Cwmcarn.

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

I’m definitely racing again this year. I was a solid mid pack in my age category at the UKGE, and top 20 at the ard moor and southern enduro champs.

I’ve been recovering fitness and confidence after bad injuries and illness last year. I really struggled with the first few races, but the last few went better, I rode ok, and the results showed that. Ii’m hoping for top 20s in the masters category of the new national series next year.

Fitness is definitely a factor, i’ve got some good results on individual stages, but always slow down at the end of the day. one race i was 6th on the sesond stage, by the end i was back in 24t. I do best when the tracks are steeper, and techier. I just got a new bike as well, which according to STRAAVAA! and how i feel, i’m alot quicker on.

TImes are so tight at the nationals that every second counts, so hopefully ill do better with the new bike and gym work this winter.  im gutted the last 2 rounds of the UKGE were cancelled as those races were just excellent.

I’m entered into the Welsh gravity enduro at cwm carn in a few weeks, i’m looking forward to trying the Mash up format.

stcolin
    Free Member

I’m very much hoping to be in. I missed most of this year and the second half of last year due to injury. Back is getting stronger and healing very slowly. Hoping for a full PMBA season, some XC, and then whatever other events I can get in such as Ard Rock/Moors/Scottish/Welsh Enduro.

I really need to start on my fitness soon, that’s really lacking. Mid pack rider hoping to make the top 30%.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Oh and for added novelty for me I go from the oldest in Masters to youngest in Vets!

ready

How does one get into Enduro?  Can someone point me in the right direction please?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

https://www.rootsandrain.com/event-calendar/filters/2018,gb,en/

This covers most of the 2018 events, best bet is probably look for something local, check the requirements for helmet etc. and sign up

ready

Thanks Mike, appreciate that link.

Am I right in thinking you can just pick & choose which ones you want to enter then?  Is it that simple, or am I just being a bit thick?

Apologies in advance…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep, pick what you want, probably shout out what area you are looking at and people will be able to give you some more specific advice, I’ve been out of touch having been on the other side of the world for a bit

darrenspink
    Free Member

@ready This maybe a better site to look at events / races: https://www.moredirt.com/events/gravity-enduro

So, say you want to enter the Southern Enduro QECP Mash-Up 2018 listed here: https://www.moredirt.com/event/3106 click on the organisations website link and they will give you a link either on their own website or third party to purchase a ticket. You get confirmation, and nearer the time they will email you details about the race, start times, practice, recommendations on protection etc.

Always good to like the organisations Facebook account as well for updates.

orena45

I’m not going to be able to commit to races months in advance like in the past due to some changes at home, so the big events like BEMBA National Champs/Tweedlove etc might be out for me unfortunately.  Intended on doing the full WGES this year but missed a couple of races so hopefully will do it all next year along with last minute entries to Southern Champs and possibly whatever BEMBA set up as a national series.

It’ll be my last year in Masters and I’m generally top 30-35% but increasingly just focusing on having fun rather than trying to break into the top end – proper, regular training isn’t quite for me I’ve discovered but I’ll do a bit to keep my fitness ticking over now I’m no longer riding to work every day!

Close to buying a new bike – although the sensible part of me says there’s no point if I’m not racing as much.  SHUT UP BRAIN!!

timbog160

Did a couple this year and hoping to do more next year – leaning towards the WES as a possible series…

Very definitely at the back of the pack but as I said on the other thread it’s already inspired me to give up fags and up my training – so will be watching closely for tips and inspiration!

cokie

I fancy competing a bit more next year too.
    Anyone have any experience in the Hardtail category? Is it as serious?

fathomer

Managed a massive one race this year, Mini Enduro at FoD, which didn’t go great but I enjoyed it. Having lots of other stuff and being over a 2 hour drive away from pretty much everything got in the way.

Hoping to do 2 or 3 races in 2019 but no doubt things will get in the way again.

riklegge

Hoping to do a few more races in 2019. I entered Boltby Bash this year which was amazing, so I’d like to do that again. I’m also keen on Naughty Northumbrian (did it last year but missed this year), and a few others when I can. The PMBA’s at Grizedale, Graythwaite and Lee / Havok could be good too.

Burchy1
    Free Member

I’m in (hopefully!) after a couple of years of no racing.

Fitness should be fine but i need to get my head to let me use the extra 5% i know is there but only comes out on certain occasions.

Might need to temper expectations of past top 10’s though as im in the top end of Masters and all the fast boys around here have just turned 30!

Akers

After dabbling this year, I hope to enter and complete the Southern Enduro Series in 2019. Maybe do the Southern Enduro Champs or The Ex, and Ardrock if I can find the time.

I have no delusions of doing anything other than ‘making up the numbers’/’bringing up the rear’, but I’ll have fun regardless!

undarra
    Free Member

I entered my first few enduro’s this year, a couple of Pedalhounds ones and the swinduro. All very chilled and  good fun. Nothing too serious for me, usually mid-table in the Vets category. Will do more of the same next year and hope to do a couple of the Southern Enduro rounds as QECP/HeadDown & Millford are close to me. Need to grow some bigger balls and up the fitness though.

undarra
    Free Member

Millford – I meant Milland!

joemmo
    Free Member

I’m planning to have a crack at few low key events like some of the local NDH races. No aim other than to finish alive and hopefully not last.

mahalo

I dunno, seems as Enduro has grown, my interest (in taking part) has dwindled. realised id sooner just take the day ive alotted for racing and go ride a mountain or something else instead. paying to ride trail centres (but with added queues)  basically killed my enthusiasm.  that and that crushing feeling when you think you have ridden really well but your times tell you otherwise!! was not fun for me. The Mega 2016 was my last race, which turned out to basically be an inconvenience in an otherwise awesome week riding Alp D’huez…

However I have been tempted again a few times this year, Tweed looked amazing! so I might dip a toe in again next season….

kimbers

Family commitments meant 2018 was the least racing I’ve done for several years.

I’m not sure 2019 will be much easier, have to agree that short loop races don’t really do it for me, even though the format might be family friendlier.

With the demise of ukge it’s tougher to find those big races, but I’ll try for at least one tweedlove, southern champs again, WES races are good, Dyfi this year was excellent, maybe WGES, but mash up doesn’t suit me.

Would love to get back to thetslps for a race, but not sure how likely that is.

Training this year has been tough, need to do longer rides, as well as some strength training, this year has been poor for that.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

if, as an expat in Sweden, one was to travel to the UK to do an enduro , what would you guys recommend?  something fun but on really good trails. so like scotland or the north methinks.

Same questions for a DH race or event.

Simon

Depends on your idea of fun trails.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Same questions for a DH race or event.

For a chilled fun race have a look at a summer pearce race.

mark88

Isle of Man 2 day is the only definite for me so far. 10 natural, techy stages and total race time is normally 30 mins for the winner. Highly recommended for anyone wanting to try somewhere different.

I’ll try for Ard Rock again, and wouldn’t mind giving Ard Moors or Tweedlove a go.

Interested to have a go at something in France, has anyone got any experience of doing these (looking at something more ‘normal’ than the Mega or EWS)?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

@simon  ok. technical trails, natural, not bike parky or trail centrey

stevomcd
    Free Member

Did my first couple of races this summer and really enjoyed it, looking to do a few more next year.

Did a French national series race in Val d’Isere (EWS Qualifier level) and a one-off regional one in Les Sept Laux (which was actually more tech!). Really loved the trails at Sept Laux.

Managed to come top-third in Masters in both, top-10 in one, which I was happy enough with, especially having made a few mistakes.

Hopefully the French cup will be back in Val d’Isere and there should be an Italian cup at La Thuile, so keen to do both of those, plus the Sept Laux race at the end of the season again. Beyond that, will be looking out for anything happening in the Spring or Autumn when I’m not working/guiding all the time.

Spoke to a few folk this summer who were keen to turn the Val d’Isere or La Thuile events into a holiday + race package, so might try to make that happen for people as well.

benpinnick

@howyoursdad I would say Tweedlove. Lots of good events but thats the only one where you get the off event riding, town setting (so very convenient) & atmosphere all come together with a bloody brilliant race too.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Hob Nob

I’ve got a couple of races left this year, one DH race (my only one this season, which isn’t good, need a local series again!)

Rogate??

fumanchu
    Free Member

Didn’t race as much as I’d have liked this year as my main two riding/racing buddies struggled for time and finance.

I did Vallelujah, The Dunkeld Enduro (the local one, not SES), the practice for King And Queen Of The Hill  – I tweaked my neck (fairly innocuously at the time as I finished practise) awkwardly saving a wash-out on one of the trails and woke up on race day unable to move my neck (raging!!) and the Drumtochty Local Enduro at the weekend past.

For next year, I fancy some of the SES if I can get my mates in for them, I feel with them being tougher and longer I need the moral support. But I think I like the smaller, more intimate races, so might try Dunkeld, Ballo, Pitfichie and maybe some of the Tweedlove ones for the additional craic. All at the discretion of my mates and wife and son – not necessarily in that order….

I had my best set of results this year. Not sure if it’s because it’s year two of being one of the youngest in the vets category, clipping in for racing, decent fitness, I’m just generally getting faster or a combination of all of the above.

I’ll try more gym work, spin classes and running to tide me over through the winter and do lots of local steep and muddy stuff for skillz once or twice a week. I struggle to get long rides in and decent mileage with family, work commitments and my other hobby. This is generally my downfall as I’m usually hingin’ for the last couple of stages of the longer races.

scottfitz
    Free Member

This year was the least amount of gravity racing I have done since 2011. A high light was definitely going to Greece for a round of the Greek National Enduro Series. https://www.instagram.com/p/BjSaiSAhje0/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1cffle9qmevb7

Hopefully I will get to a couple more race in 2019.

If all goes to plan Southern Enduro should have some new venues and projects in 2019 too.

ayjaydoubleyou

QECP mashup is my next race. Any help on how to deal with the no practise but repeat as many times as possible format?

nickfrog
    Free Member

I am doing my first event there too. I have read the format too but how does it actually work ? Do they give you a map of where the 3 dh timed bits are ? Do you have to do particular stages between them ? (presumably uphill). Are the uphill sections timed. I researched this but the info for absolute enduro racing beginners is scarce…thx for any pointers and sorry for being candid

ayjaydoubleyou

The race area is one hillside, so basically the smae climb to get to all the stages, no need for a map (can they go from the very top this year now the felling is done Scott?).

Signs direct you to the stage starts, uphills not timed but you have a limited time to complete the entire event – not an issue to complete the bare minimum required runs even if pushing up.

nickfrog
    Free Member

Thank you. Done a know what the DH timed sections will be in advance ? I am going there on Sunday so would like to recce.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 332 total)

The topic ‘2019 Enduro Racing Thread’ is closed to new replies.