Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 2019 Bike – When to buy?
  • benmotogp46
    Free Member

I’m looking to purchase a new bike bike but if I do, it will be stored over the winter until spring.

The reason I ask is that the new bike will have Di2 and I also have a 10% discount from two LBS’s which I do not want to expire if I leave it too long.

My main concern is will the Di2 battery be affected if the bike is stored at a low temperature without use for 10 – 12 weeks without regular use?

Secondly, if I leave purchasing the bike until spring, are the chances greater of my size being out of stock by then (Specialized)?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Cheers, B.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Remove DI2 battery from bike ?

to answer your question.

I’ve already ordered my 2019 bike from my LBS for similar reasons. + bike is well specced for the cash.

My drop date is 7th week of 2019.

Not really a worry as i will not be riding it till spring but i didnt want to wait till then as either A. because its well specced for the cash even at full £££ itll likely sell out early or B. order it then and i will not be able to get it from LBS and have to pay full £££ and C. May not even be able to get it in my size regardless of where i go by then as has happened before.

No pennies have been handed over they have just ordered my bike/put my name on it and when it arrives ill be called in to pay/collect.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My main concern is will the Di2 battery be affected if the bike is stored at a low temperature without use for 10 – 12 weeks without regular use?

No, just charge it and stick it in your desk drawer, you’re going to have the same problem every winter if you don’t ride it anyway.

Secondly, if I leave purchasing the bike until spring, are the chances greater of my size being out of stock by then (Specialized)?

Not much unless it’s some sort of niche bike* that suddenly becomes an overnight success after a magazine review. So unlikely to sell out of Allez or Tarmacs, more likely something niche like Sequoia or Diverge.

Although you would probably get a much better deal buying a 2018 bike right now.

*Specialized Pitch and Cannondale Prophet when they were reduced to £999 as no one saw the point of 150mm travel ‘trail’ bike before Enduro was invented) then MBR gave them 10/10 and they sold out in weeks.

benmotogp46
    Free Member

Hadn’t considered placing an order to collect at a later date, it’s been a while since I’ve bought new from a store.

I’m guessing the latest Di2 batteries are located within the seat post so removing that will be simple (Tarmac).

hypnonewt
    Free Member

I am pretty sure Di2 stuff will sit in a warehouse over winter which are usually about as cold if not colder than your average garage/shed.

I f they could not withstand a bit of cold then they would not be able to sell them.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Although you would probably get a much better deal buying a 2018 bike right now.”

I’m sure I could but all the additions to the 2019 spec in my case are why I want it….. Disks /big tire clearance /aero carbon wheels  etc etc.

The 2018 is cheap but missing all of above which is why I think the 2019 will be a seller. And even if it’s not I was buying one anyway….

atrthanks
    Free Member

My di2 bike lives outside year-round.

Lithium Ion batteries should be long term stored at 40-75% charge in the fridge. So unless it’s actually below zero you are all good.

What kills modern batteries is:

– Deep discharge

– Overcharging

– Many charge cycles

– Charging while hot

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

The problem with some of these new bikes is they don’t bring that many in and when they go to bigger dealers first its  not always easy to get one from your small LBS have had that problem a few times with  Treks.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘2019 Bike – When to buy?’ is closed to new replies.