Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • 2018 Vitus Sommet. Anyone got one?
  • simonhuscroft
    Free Member

Hello.

Anyone have a 2018 and if so what size did you go with and how are you getting on with it?

im contemplating ordering one but on paper they look like very long bikes and think the 17’’ might feel too long but the 15’’ seatpost might not extend enough.

I’m 5.7 with a 29’’ inseam and currently ride a medium jeffsy with has a 440 seat tube with a 150mm Reverb and have a good 1 1/2 ‘’ seat post showing. The 15’’ Vitus has a 382 mm seat tube and that coupled with the shorter 125mm Reverb might mean the post is a touch short.

Thanks in advance.

ta11pau1

I have a 2018 escarpe which is identical in a lot of ways, on the size chart you’re right between S and M – they are long bikes, my XL is 495 reach which isn’t far off the longest bikes out there, at 6ft 3 I could have gone for the L as I’m also right between sizes.

Basically, both will fit you, I’d probably go for the M in your situation, 150 Vs 125mm dropper and although it’s long for the size it shouldn’t feel massive. They have short 45mm stems too. Mine doesn’t feel overly long when riding it, just when trying to move it around manually!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2434kRY]IMG_20180503_171254[/url] by Paul Sims, on Flickr

simonhuscroft
    Free Member

Cheers Paul.

Tempted to go with the 15 and swap the 150 reverb on the jeffsy prior to selling it.

geex
    Free Member

I’m 5’11” (33″ inseam) and ride a 2018 SMALL E-Sommet (practically the same geometry as the Sommet) I’m running a 150mm brand-x on mine. Originally I was going to run a 170mm OneUpComponents dropper but they aren’t as short as OneUp state (OneUp’s measurements don’t take the actuator into account) and annoyingly on the Esommet the seat tubes are only reamed 165-175mm deep (depending on size) I think to stop Noddys dropping their post too deep into the seat tube and fouling/damaging the shock. If this is the same with the standard sommet you may well run into problems running a 150mm reverb low enough. You’ll have no problems running any 410mm or longer post high enough though.

FWIW a 150mm Brand-X is right around the same length as a 125mm reverb. The B-X is listed as 458mm but that measurement includes the dropper mechanism under the post. meaning seatpost clamp to base is actually only around 420mm.

A 150mm reverb is 440mm but that doesn’t include the connectamajig. (may or may not be a problem due to the shock position)

The Carbon/Lyrik sommet is an absolute bargain if that’s the bike you’re looking at. <EDIT> it *was* £2400 a week ago. now back at £2999 :'(

Sizing: I don’t like long bikes, they are slightly more stable at high speeds but as with 29ers. For me. They suck all the fun out of riding. A small 2018 sommet is actually longer than a 2017 Medium was. I’ve ridden Medium/small frames since 1993 and I’m pretty compitent at it. The one bonus from the industry pushing long frames is I now get to ride bikes with shorter less ugly seat tube lengths. Win Win. Just glad I’m not short myself as there are very few options anymore for a shorter rider who doesn’t like long bikes.

riklegge

Had a 2016 medium and I’m 5’6″. The reach on that felt fine. Given the information above I’d go 15″ and swap your post.

simonhuscroft
    Free Member

Thanks all.

dskelly81
    Free Member

I’m about 5′ 10.5” / 5′ 11” & like the other chap right between sizes.  I opted for a size Large VRS & its ideal!  Very impressed with the build kit & the rear suss seems so sensitive but also supportive compared to my old bike.  It really is a ripper of a bike, if slightly heavy but TBH most enduro bikes are getting quite portly these days.

CRC actually have my bike reduced to 2K right now (1.8k with a discount code) which for a bike with this spec is bonkers.  You could almost double that price on a Giant / Santa Cruz / Mondraker etc etc.  I honestly don’t know why folk are happy to have these brands in poverty spec versus a Vitus / BIRD / Radon with great kit at the same price

simonhuscroft
    Free Member

The VRS is what I’m looking at.

Hmmmm. Either YT or Vitus are not right with their measurements as the reach is 10mm longer for the 15’’ vs the YT but ETT only 2mm longer with the supposed same seat tube angle.

YT has a 50mm stem whereas the Vitus a 35mm. Could always move the saddle back a touch and look at a slightly longer stem with the 15’’ where as couldn’t go any shorter with the 17’’ other than moving the saddle forwards when I prefer to be a bit further back on a bike.

Trouble with buying without trying I guess.

geex
    Free Member

When comparing sizing ignore ETT and just go with reach.

Regardless of (listed) seat tube angle neither bike’s seat tube actually comes straight up inline from the BB therefore being a virtual measurement anyway ETT is an even more confusingly pointless measurent to look at. Many manufacturers even use virtual seat tube angle measurements making the entire comparison process even more of an utterly confusing ball ache.
    I tend to look at reach, wheelbase and chainstay length when considering a bike’s sizing so long as the H/A is what I’m looking for. (but I know what reach I prefer, like shorter stays and know what sort of wheelbase I find manageable) Seat angles are all fairly sensible these days but if you’re worried you will have at least 30mm fore and aft adjustment on most saddle rails to find your preferred position.

FWIW I have plenty room on my small Sommet (infact it’s the roomiest reach of any bike I own) and I’m 4″ taller than you. I honestly can’t see it being too short for anyone of your height. Plenty folk are buying much longer bikes but you rarely ever see anyone short on a long bike actually look any good riding them.

Vitus do demo days and represent at bike shows. Ask them on social media

dskelly81
    Free Member

The only slight negatives are

the quality of the paint job seems poor as it wears through quite easily.

The cables were a bit of a birds nest & untidy.  Both of these will be fixed with a respray / powder coat and trimming of the hoses etc.

The High Roller on the front isn’t a good option for me. It just doesn’t seem fit for winter riding in Scotland

I fitted 2.8 tyres too without any clearance issues & an offset bushing to drop the BB back down a touch & slacken it out to 64.5 at the head tube

dskelly81
    Free Member

Sommet VRS

ta11pau1

Yeah the pain does chip a little easily but some protection film/3m scotch tape will sort that, no need for a respray… You get paint touch up pots with the bike.

Cables – that’s the same for every bike? I’ve seen bikes with far worse nests of cables than the Sommet/escarpe, pretty easy job to get them clean and silent:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Jng5uC]IMG_20180424_194656[/url] by Paul Sims, on Flickr

Tyre choice is personal but unless you get lucky I’d expect to change at least one on a new bike to something more of your liking.

simonhuscroft
    Free Member

Trouble is seat tube angle plays a big part in reach. I bought a medium bird zero am thinking it was going to be reasonably stretched but with the seat angle being so steep it actually feels a good bit shorter than the Switchback it replaced. And not as fun or chckable as your weight is further over the front.

geex
    Free Member

Seat tube angle plays absolutely no part in reach whatsoever.

Reach is the horizontal distance from the centre of BB to centre of upper headtube. ie. pedalling axis to steering axis. And this is the important measurement for stood up riding. (horizontal distance from feet to hands). The reason lots of bikes are coming with steeper seat angles is to put rider weight more central while sat down climbing. Good luck if you’re trying to “chuck about” any bike while sat down. On any vaguely interesting flat or downhill terrain where you might be “throwing2 the bike about you should be stood up rather than seated and the saddle should only be there to control the bike with your inner thigh.

From what you’re saying it sounds like you’ve made the wrong choice a few times now. I’d definitley get a long test ride before making a similar mistake again.

simonhuscroft
    Free Member

I may not have explained myself that well in relation to reach.

I realise seat tube angle is nothing to do with the actual physical numbers of reach but it does make a difference to pedalling position when sat down and how stretched out or not a bike feels when pedalling.

Likewise more reach naturally moves your weight / body further forward on the bike making it harder to get your weight further back on the bike and lift the front end. I understand the merits of it and know a bit more body movement etc would rectify it but I’m not convinced it’s for me and I quite like the front end being easy to lift and in turn throw the bike about a bit (which I don’t tend to do when sat down!).

Hence asking about sizing and coming up with the conclusion that the 15’’ would likely be better for what I like.

geex
    Free Member

Yeah. You’ve confused me completely. I have no idea what you’re on about with the Bird (but let’s not go there again, eh?). I think you’re simply using the word “reach” to describe something that is not the measurement “reach” but saddle to steerer distance. Steeper seat angles obviously shorten this distance and when sat down put you more above the BB than behind it.

A long reach bike really isn’t what you want if like me you’re a rear wheel biased rider who like to manual everything and pop off every compression and that’s one of the main reasons I have the small when a lot of riders my height would be on the large. I know I’d be slightly faster some places (flat out rough straights mainly) on a large bike but I also know I wouldn’t find a longer bike as much fun to ride. Chainstay length comes into this as well. longer being more stable and shorter being easier to manual/more poppy

Yeah. I think the 15″ would definitely suit you far better. Whereabouts are you?

simonhuscroft
    Free Member

I’m in Huddersfield.

riklegge

Simon, the size small Vitus is very similar geo numbers to my small Airdrop Edit. Marsden based if you want to sling a leg over it.

simonhuscroft
    Free Member

Thanks rik that’s very kind. They are almost exactly the same. How do you get on with it and how tall are you?

riklegge

I get on well with it. I had a sommet before it, and was happy with that too. I only changed as I wanted a shorter seat tube to allow me to run a longer dropper, and was interested in a different shock which wouldn’t fit the sommet. I’m 5’6″ and proportionally have slightly longer body / shorter legs. I’ll message you my details if you want to try it.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘2018 Vitus Sommet. Anyone got one?’ is closed to new replies.