• This topic has 14 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by wors.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 2018 soul parts to a flare max frame?
  • jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

How would they transfer over? Wheel size wise mainly?

vincienup
    Free Member

Assuming the 2018 Soul is the current Mk5 (and so Boost) then everything should fit just fine.

Running 27.5 wheels on a bike designed for 29 and Plus is going to drop the BB a touch but it won’t kill you. Stick 2.5/2.6’s on and you’ll probably not even notice.

cy

If you’re looking to go to a droplink bike from a Soul, the bike you need is the Flare, not the FlareMAX. The FlareMAX won’t work at all with 27.5″ sized forks and wheels, but the Flare will just need a new zero stack top cup and every single bit of kit off your Soul will transfer across.

http://www.cotic.co.uk/product/flare

metalheart
    Free Member

I would suspect that your rear brake hose wouldn’t be long enough.

I’m a running an uncut (1700mm) slx on the FlareMAX. The one off a SolarisMAX was too short (it would’ve pulled out of the lever on a hard right…).

I’d imagine soul to flare would be similar…

vincienup
    Free Member

Good point on fork. Hadn’t spotted that, it’ll affect the set up too.

It’s worth pointing out Cy is ‘Mr Cotic’ so he probably knows better than us.

I think it’s a bit strong saying it wouldn’t work at all, but Cy’s 100% right that if you have the choice then the regular Flare is a better solution. 27.5 forks and wheels on a 29er aren’t really ideal. If you found a set of suitable lowers for the forks that would fix them as a problem, the uppers would switch in as easy as doing an oil and seal service.

metalheart
    Free Member

Also worth noting that droplink Bikes are 1x only (nowhere for a front mech). I run boost chainset (with a 30T, not sure if that’s obligatory or not).

kelvin

I think it’s a bit strong saying it wouldn’t work at all…

Putting that kit on a current FlareMAX will put your pedals so low it’ll be unrideable. Will work perfectly on the new Flare, as Cy says.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Bugger. Cant afford a flare frame new. And used they’re very rare.

martinhutch

And used they’re very rare.

<Looks confused>

PrinceJohn

<Looks confused>

There’s a Flaremax for sale on Facebook, frame & shock for a bargain price. This post appeared slightly after I saw the advert, I imagine the 2 are connected.

metalheart
    Free Member

The new LS geo Flare frames (made in Scotland) are only just recently released, no?

I’m pretty sure theres a longstanding thread called wheres the new Cotic Flare coming (or something)…

cy

Yes, Flare in the latest guise has only been in production for about 3 months. The previous pre-Longshot version was around for a fair while. Another option to look at for swapping things over if you can’t stretch to buying new would be looking out for a 2018 onwards Longshot geometry Rocket. They have been in production since February 2018. With a 140mm fork, and maybe invest in a shock service and get the shock stroke reduced to 50mm (from 57mm) you’d have a 140 front/135 rear bike with cool handling. It would be a right laugh. As per my post above, you’d need a ZS top headset cup and everything else would move over perfectly.

cy

If you are seriously looking at that FlareMAX you really would need 29er forks at the very least. It would run OK with 27.5 wheels if you put big volume 2.6 or 2.8 tyres on it (MAX is short for Maximum Versatility – it can run 29er or 275 Plus), but you really would need to put some proper length forks on it to get the geometry running properly.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Cheers cy. It’s looking like I’ll have to shelve the soul frame for a bit and get a FS second hand.

wors

I want a flare. In black. It looks lovely

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘2018 soul parts to a flare max frame?’ is closed to new replies.