Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • 2018 Santa Cruz Hightower LT release
  • bennyboy1
    Free Member

Released today and now listed on the SC UK website.

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-GB/hightower-lt

tomhoward

Some ‘interesting’ spec choices there.

chakaping
    Free Member

I was quite keen to check this out when I saw it on my FB this morning, but it seems they’ve gone back to the bad old days of short front ends.

Reach of 445mm on the large frame. That’s same as my Enduro 29 (which is not even the new version).

Oh well, couldn’t afford one anyway.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Reach of 445mm on the large frame.

Seeing as they do XL and XXL would one of those fit?
    Standover on the original was low I think I could have ridden the XL Chris Ball was knocking about on so it’s more pick the length these days

S looks a good entry spec and price

mark90
    Free Member

I’d want the L for the reach but couldn’t live with a 100mm dropper so would need the seat tube of the M.

honourablegeorge

chakaping – Member
    I was quite keen to check this out when I saw it on my FB this morning, but it seems they’ve gone back to the bad old days of short front ends.

It’s not that they decided to do that – it’s that they just took the regular Hightower front triangle and changed the rear end – so messing up the reach and the seat angle is just a side effect. It’s a bit of a lazy effort, really.

chakaping
    Free Member

Aha, now I get it.

Just as they were getting somewhere with the new Nomad as well.

I presume this model will be cheaper to reflect their reduced tooling costs then?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

The amount of SC bikes I see out on the hills, I’d definitely say they’re ‘getting somewhere’….

honourablegeorge

chakaping – Member

I presume this model will be cheaper to reflect their reduced tooling costs then?

Funnily enough:

Hightower LT R Carbon C – $3949 USD
    Hightower R Carbon C – $3999 USD

BARGAIN

(Also – the LT has only has one position for the shock link, Hightower has high and low settings, and the LT won’t take Plus wheels)

v666ern
    Free Member

Seeing as they do XL and XXL would one of those fit?

Say what now…how small is the small then?!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

There’s been a lot of chat around plus tyres not really being much of a benefit on FS, maybe they think the same? Or maybe making a bike that takes both and the resultant affect on BB height is seen as too much of a compromise.

Who knows, but they do have other bikes in the range, with the exception of a fat bike, they pretty much cover all bases.

BoardinBob

Some weird numbers

R
    £3949GBP
    29.59lbs

S
    £4899GBP
    27.95lbs

XE
    £5699GBP
    31.33lbs

Looking at the specs I cant see where an extra 3lbs comes from on the XE model

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d definitely say they’re ‘getting somewhere’….

You could say they’re getting lazy, if George is right about them nicking the front end off the normal Hightower.

😛

Gilles

with the exception of a fat bike,

And E-Bikes!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Definitely Chaka, or just gently refining something that already works, in a VW Golf type thang.

They do that with rear tri too, I’m sure the Bronson and the Nomad have the same rear tri whatever the size of the frame. Other manufacturers may do this too, I haven’t looked, only really crunch numbers of bikes I sort of intend buying.

zelak999
    Free Member

Imo this is a short term fix ‘quick lets knock up long travel 29er’.
    You can safely bet there will be a new freshly designed long travel 29er in development, new Nomad stylee, that will be released over the next 18-24 months.

honourablegeorge

zelak999 – Member
    Imo this is a short term fix ‘quick lets knock up long travel 29er’.
    You can safely bet there will be a new freshly designed long travel 29er in development, new Nomad stylee, that will be released over the next 18-24 months.

Probably – but it’s unusual to see a company like SC taking a shortcut – can’t imagine a longer front triangle with steeper SA would have been beyond them, given their budget and backing.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Or, the fact that the guys riding for SC have been riding hightowers on EWS circuit with the LT linkage, and so this has filtered it’s way onto the bike. I’d call that proper testing, by guys that can ride and know their stuff*

* Although SC seem kinda insistent on their riders riding what bikes they’re told to, they did the same with the Bronson at the start of the 650B thing, although all the riders wanted to stay with the nomad in its 26 form. I hear they were all then told to ride the Hightower when it came out, over the nomad. Suppose you’re not really going to argue, when you’re getting to ride some of the best bikes around.

Anyway, a SC thread and Mike hasn’t posted yet, whaaaaaa? :mrgreen:

honourablegeorge

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    Or, the fact that the guys riding for SC have been riding hightowers on EWS circuit with the LT linkage, and so this has filtered it’s way onto the bike. I’d call that proper testing, by guys that can ride and know their stuff*

Not suggesting the bike doesn’t work, but it is basically just a modified Hightower with a different linkage and longer fork, rather than being designed ground up, and there are a few compromised made in geo as a result.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

What me? up the top there shows how little attention people pay 😉

I like the look of it and probably how the evolution is going with these things.
    Evolution via racing is a great way of developing things if I had the cash it would be on order as it fits the bill of what I’m after 🙂

timmys

Slightly surprised it’s only a 150 mm fork – guess that’s a product of sticking with the non-LT front triangle. Most people I know already run the non-LT with 150 mm so with the LT overall you’re only gaining 15 mm travel at the back. Hardly seems worth it.

As for reach – as recommended above I’d look at sizing up as appropriate. The standover on these things is massive – I run a 170 mm drop Reverb easily.

sweaman2
    Free Member

I’m assuming that the XXL is a whole new frame so it could be ground up?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What me? up the top there shows how little attention people pay

oops!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The LT’s geometry is extremely close to the regular Hightower, as the bikes share a front triangle. The increased travel means the reach is slightly (7mm) shorter, the head angle a half-degree slacker, and the seat angle a half-degree slacker, as well. The rear triangle retains the dual upright design, but adds a post-mount rear brake. Unlike the Hightower, you can’t run 27.5+ tires in the LT, and there’s no flip chip to change the suspension. It’s made to go fast, give you a bigger margin of error, and take on the biggest mountains in the world.

https://www.santacruzbicycles.com/en-AU/news/2017-hightower-lt-development
    The XXL will be a bigger version of the original I guess which probably means an XXL in the shorter one. As for plus guess it’s just not a bike you’d want to run plus on, not actually seen a HT with fatties on

chrismac

So another over priced mass market bike pretending to be a boutique bike. I dont understand how they get away with it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Because the prices line up with people like specialized?

STATO
    Free Member

Is there a price difference anymore between high end ‘mass market’ and medium volume ’boutique’.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

So another over priced mass market bike pretending to be a boutique bike. I dont understand how they get away with it.

As said above, priced alongside Spesh and Trek etc, and you’d need to be hard of thinking to consider them a boutique brand.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

2/10 for effort on this SC… I would hazard a guess that the rear triangle is also mostly the same just with an updated brake mount (which will magically appear on the regular hightower soon…). The lack of plus compatibility could just be a side effect of longer shock stroke and tyre clearance at bottom out.

prawny

Looks ok to me as the sort of person that has never looked into enduro bikes too seriously.

Geo looks ok as well. I’d happily fit a large with a 150mm dropper and I’ve got dwarf legs. Reach wouldn’t be Bird long, but it would be a lot longer than my current hardtail. I’d even be able to slot a 125mm post into the XL if I felt the need.

Anyone what to chuck me 4 grand?

beano68
    Free Member

Anyone ordered one yet ?

BoardinBob

Not yet. It’s been in and out of the basket a few times

I get a constant 8% off at Evans but I’d prefer to give a local independent shop the money so if they can match that then they’ve got the sale, but hopefully soon

beano68
    Free Member

Likewise .. I’ll see what StartCycles can offer, just can’t decide on spec.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘2018 Santa Cruz Hightower LT release’ is closed to new replies.