Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 2018 RS Revelations gone all “hard”
  • Premier Icon bearGrease
    Free Member

Just been out for a bimble on my 2018 Whyte 901 with RS Revs and noticed that the forks have gone all “hard”, as if there’s way to much air in them, getting only 20-30 mm of travel.

Have tried the compression damping, letting all the air out and pumping back up to the recommended 85-96psi but they still don’t seem right. Even with 0 psi they feel super stiff.

I’m a ride it and leave it sort of rider so haven’t been fiddling with them. Any suspension gurus on here have an tips on what the issue and cure may be?

Premier Icon martinhutch

Sounds like the traditional imbalance between positive and negative chambers on the solo air forks. Often there is a bit of grease blocking the transfer port between + and – stopping them equalising.

Try grabbing the crown and pulling them up to full extension.

If they’re a similar design to my Solo Air Rebas, you can also depressurise them, turn them upside down, take the airside footnut off, there is a hidden schrader valve underneath. Push in a small allen key to open this and release the air, then refit and repressurise..

Unfortunately these things may only turn out to be temporary fixes, and there may be a dodgy seal, which would be a warranty job if they’re less than a year old.

Premier Icon chakaping

Happened to a Lyrik I had a couple of years ago. Martin is right – just let the air out and whip the footnuts off so the trapped air can be released from the lowers. Then keep an eye on things.

Premier Icon martinhutch

You don’t need to take the damper side footnut off, or tap it free as you would to remove the lowers (otherwise you may as well do a lowers service while you’re at it) – simply unscrew the airside footnut and release the hidden schrader valve inside by poking something thin into it.

If you just want to release air in the lowers, you can pass a zip tie down between the seal and stanchion (carefully) to create a temporary gap.

Premier Icon bearGrease
    Free Member

Thanks guys, will have a go this weekend.

Premier Icon bearGrease
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips, just tried  them out but no joy. I let all air out of the main chamber and then popped the lower bolt of and released the air from the negative chamber. Even with all the air released the forks only move 20-30mm, again as if there waaaaaaay too much pressure in them. Any further ideas? Are they hyfro-locked (WTF that means)?

Premier Icon bri-72
    Free Member

Still in warranty? I sent mine back for similar issues and got lower assembly replaced.TBH fork better tho still not great I think there’s issues with that model year. Been a few similar posts on this on here.

Premier Icon tjagain

sounds like the oil from the damper has ended up in the lowers due to an internal seal failing

Take the lowers off and see if they are full of oil on the damper side

Premier Icon bearGrease
    Free Member

Thanks. They’re 14 months old and looks like RS has a two year warranty so will take them back to the LBS. Luckily it was an LBS purchase rather than an internet one.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘2018 RS Revelations gone all “hard”’ is closed to new replies.