Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • 2018 riding holiday suggestions please.
  • oldfart

Did a biggie this year, Ultimate BC with Sacred Rides. If you only do one riding holiday in your life make it this!
    The problem is it’s now spoiled me for anywhere else unfortunately. Both cost wise and it’s not called Ultimate for nothing! So at 62 do I call it quits, knowing nothing else will come close, retire gracefully or….
    Wouldn’t mind going back to Slovenia as when I went before it was after a wet summer trails weren’t good. Looking at Sierra MTB for a reasonable priced not epic week or as I said bowing out while I’m ahead as I’m always going to be making unfair comparisons.

hodgynd
    Free Member

So what if you are making comparisons ..there is always going to be one holiday that tops everything else ..are you also ready to die ?
    Keep going as long as you can I say and start looking through the brochures … 8)

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

you biked in BC – how great is that???

If you would START mountain biking I would recommend this:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/400-km-beginners-mountain-bike-route-gtj-jura-mountains-france

But
    I

So at 62 do I call it quits

that’s not a good idea!
    II
    above GTJ is really a beginners thing. Nothing for you.
    But the area is wonderful and got better and better to the end of the trip.
    In other words: maybe picking this area? But independend from the GTJ?
    But: summer might be wet there as well. Not reliable hot like the spanish pyrenees in summer…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    IHN

We went mountain biking in Mongolia this year. A-maze-ing. Riding itself was pretty tame, all double track jeep roads, but the scenery was stunning and of an epic scale; camping by a stream, with yaks grazing on the other bank and a herd of wild horses galloping by….

Loved it.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member
    smashit
    Free Member

I’m biased but I think there is always another ‘best trip ever’ out there waiting to explore! Lots of places with awesome riding, and also amazing culture to experience as well. Morocco a good shout, Latin America too (Peru or Chile for example). We’ve got a trip in Swaziland next year which is going to be amazing! Closer to home the Sierra Nevada is great, well worth a visit!

wl
    Free Member

http://www.bikeverbier.com I’ve ridden plenty of times in lots of parts of BC and the only place I enjoy just as much is Verbier. The trails there are amazing, and Bike Verbier know them better than anyone, especially the hidden gems and backcountry epics. Grub, accommodation, etc etc all spot on too. Loads on here will agree.

mtbguiding
    Free Member

Please excuse the gratuitous plug but https://mtbguiding.co.uk/scotland-mountain-biking/ultimate-scottish-road-trip/ 5% discount for Singletrack subscribers – saved somebody else posting it 🙂

vmgscot

I’d suggest the US mid-west – me and the GF did a great mini road-trip this year taking in some hotspots of Colorado, Utah, Arizona and back through Colorado.

We did a similar BC trip last year inc the likes of Squamish, Whistler, Kamloops, Revy (helibiking), Rossland, etc but seem to prefer the hot deserts of USA.

I have not ridden a trail better than The Whole Enchilada anywhere yet (better than Mt Cartier or Top Of the World).

It doesn’t have to cost a fortune – minivan rental, chain motels, no guides required, etc.

My tupenth

walleater

Come back to BC? 😉

I’ve been here 10 years and am still only touching the surface of all the riding areas. I’ve lived in Squamish for well over a year and have been riding here since I moved here and havn’t ridden nearly all the trails within 5km from where I live even.

Alternatively if it was me, I’d look to do something completely different so there’d be no way of comparing the two holidays. I know people locally who’ve been on adventures to Peru for example and loved it. Granted that’s probably not cheap either!

chakaping
    Free Member

The Riviera or Garda?

Andy-R

oldfart – Member
    So at 62 do I call it quits, knowing nothing else will come close, retire gracefully or….

It wouldn’t be “retiring” though, would it? Only professionals get to retire, for the rest of us it would be just giving up.
    Like I keep threatening to do, in fact I did intend this year to be my last year of riding. However, I seem to have made plans for next summer in Greece so…..

sweaman2
    Free Member

The Sacred rides Ultimate BC doesn’t visit Whistler, Squamish, NorthShore, Vancouver Island or the Sunshine Coast so there’s plenty more riding to be had back in BC…..

Or go to New Zealand?

oldfart

Thanks for all the suggestions Friends , lots to think about . Feel bad mentioning the other places I’ve ridden , a season in Whistler , ridden Squamish , Pemberton , float plane in the Chilcotins and vmgscot the places you’ve suggested as well ! Return to Spain maybe ? Ridden with Manana Mountain so Sierra MTB perhaps ?

cheeezzy24
    Free Member

+1 for the whole enchilada^^

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Return to Spain maybe

reliable weather…

Other detail: Austria turned out to be a bit of a frustration. They started to put “NO MOUNTAIN BIKING SIGNS” everywhere I had the impression.

France and Spain: hope this is still different there…

danti

Basque MTB Winter Enduro, Ainsa and Zona Zero has superb riding and scenery

alan-sierracycling
    Free Member

Based right on the beach with plenty of Winter sun to enjoy.
    Beachside accomodation,great breakfasts and a free bar.
    Stunning singletrack rides with plenty of bus uplift during the day & fun après-bike on the coast at night.
    Just 540 Euros for a packed week!Sierra MTB
    Although we are not”epic” we have many bikers coming over to us 3 or 4 weekends a year for the great singletrack, cheap flights and the best weather in europe.

kilo

Really enjoyed riding in South Africa we were fairly cx but I’m sure you can find plenty of gnarl fest. Cheap when you get there and no jet lag so an overnight flight and you can be riding the day you arrive

doug_basqueMTB.com

Thanks Danti! I guess our most epic trip would be the new one with helicopters and mule trains, only for repeat guests though.

High Pyrénées épico

I loved BC too, I’ll go back for sure. Similarly we have people come to us from NZ and Vancouver and Whistler and repeat each year. It’s the thrill is something different isn’t it.

chakaping
    Free Member

If you’ve not already ridden Finale and Molini, they’d be a better option than a return to southern Spain IMO (and I love Andalucia).

Some pics and words here…

That Riviera Touch – Finale Ligure and Molini

yoshimi

Without hijacking…in a similar vein, can anyone recommend somewhere to go in Europe for say 3 nights in May/June with some lift assisted riding, nice weather, probably just on my own

nasher
    Free Member

Take a look at chapaking’s blog up there ^^^ yoshimi

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Ainsa

was mentioned above. Spanish Pyrenee side. Know this area – definitely great! And: perfect summer conditions…

totally other area:

Mongolia was mentioned:
    day 75 + day 76 (not my blog)
    http://travellingwithoutemissions.blogspot.de/2012/08/day-72-77-from-ulaanbaatar-to-sayshand.html

Hans Georg is a former working colleague and he biked all over the world. Not with a mountain bike so.

He mentioned that Mongolia was the greatest to bike!
    Only the dogs are a problem there.

Never went to mongolia by myself so.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘2018 riding holiday suggestions please.’ is closed to new replies.