Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 2018 pike – is this right
  • charliemort

I have a 140mm pike. However I have 160mm of Stanction showing from seal to steerer? Is this right? And I only ever seem to achieve 110mm to 115mm travel

I upgraded the air spring to debonair a couple of years back, but tbh I only measured the exposed stanction yesterday so not sure if anything has changed

Toasty

The length of the travel is determined by the air spring, did you definitely upgrade to a 140mm air spring?

davros

Turns out you have a 160mm pike. Does it ride harsh or feel ok? Either your pressure is too high or the negative chamber isn’t balancing. Give it a lowers service if it’s not been done for a couple of years.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mashr

Dump the air and remove the top cap, see how far the fork compresses (you must remove the top cap otherwise you’ll still have an air spring acting against you). Now you know the travel and can look at your setup from there

charliemort

I wonder if I got sent the wrong air spring! I just shoved it in without checking. I’ve done a few lowers services
    Feels okay but not too happy having so much unused travel
    Yeah it compresses all the way to the steerer
    Think I’ll send them off for a full service

andybrad

what does it say on the sag markings?

charliemort

Andy – not quite sure what you are asking. Are you asking what sag is set at?

carlos
    Free Member

Before sending them off I’d whip the lowers off and have a look at the lower part of the air shaft as I’m sure that RS print/etch in the size and if its a 650b or 29’er.

On mine its about 10mm from the bottom

andybrad

the sag markings on the stanction usually have 2 sets. like 140mm and 150mm marked on them

bikerevivesheffield

STANCHION not stanction

Rubber_Buccaneer

STANCHION not stanction

Yeah, someone has been listening to too many PB podcasts 😀

Rubber_Buccaneer

I don’t know about 2018 Pikes but all my old air shafts give different travel depending on whether I put them in a 26/27.5/29 fork and also different if put in a Pike or Lyrik.  Sounds like there has been a mix up somewhere along the line

Rubber_Buccaneer

I only ever seem to achieve 110mm to 115mm travel

Couple of possibilities

a) you are a bit of a mincer

b) you have nine bottomless tokens in your fork

😀

charliemort

Oi rubber man – oooo yah calling a mincer!!

Anyway – my guess is that thinking they were 140mm i shoved 2 bottomless tokens in when standard is zero for 160mm…. will check this evening

Anyone know how to identify different air springs? I have one with 020 stamped on it which is 140mm i think

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

First thing I do is put the code/fork number into the Rockshox website and see what “IT SAYS”

then go from there, if it say 160mm travel, lest you know and been a mix up,
    If 140mm travel, something not right, double check the air shaft, normally marked on it.

mjsmke

The air shaft should have the travel stamped on it for both 27.5 and 29.

davros

Newer debonair shafts don’t have the travel engraved on them like the older ones. Plus the newer ones are the same travel for both wheel sizes.

Northwind

Yeah, things got pretty confusing when they changed the design so that they all use the same spring for the same amount of travel. Still lots of shops/listings getting it wrong too

binman

Can you check the part number from the receipt / e reciept ?

As MTB Rob says, go to the Rockshox app, put the crown number in and that will tell you correct part number for X amount of travel

If it is 2018, is it pre-debonair markings on the fork STANCHION 😁 ?

I have a 2018 pike with a 140mm air shaft upgrade, I think I still have the cardboard tag from the packet, if that helps.

charliemort

right – checked my order – in November 2018 I ‘ordered’ :

‘Debonair Air Spring Upgrade Kits Pike, Yari, Lyrik Pike A1-A2 2014-2017 140/29 160/27.5’

my fork is pre-debonair so maybe 2017. I think at the time is was cheaper to buy 2017 fork and stick newer shaft in

I have 160mm of exposed stanction and they compress all the way with no air, so it’s deffo a 160 mm shaft. It’s got 070 stamped on it, God knows what that means

thinking it was 140mm I had 2 tokens in (standard is none), took them out and immediately got extra 20mm of travel, with 25mm in reserve for big hits; sounds about right

so I’ve been running round on a 160mm fork on a bike designed for 130mm / 140mm and never noticed, but always wondered why i didn’t get full travel. And my wife thinks I’m insensitive!!!

teethgrinder

But what fork? 27.5 or 29?

charliemort

29, bought at 140mm

mrdestructo

If the Pike is like the Revelation, if you deflate the fork you should use all the stanchion when you then depress the fork.

Are you sure you have all the spacers out that are screwed into the bottom of the air-cap?

And you haven’t dropped any into the fork (not secured to the air cap)?

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘2018 pike – is this right’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts