Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • 2018 London Marathon Review
  • turboferret

Maybe this should go in the Running thread, but as it was a bit lengthy, I thought I’d start a fresh one.

At the start of 2018 I picked a random marathon goal time of sub 2:30, as being a nice solid target, and a sizeable but hopefully achievable improvement over my 2017 time of 2:35:17. Knocking of 5 minutes per marathon might sound ambitious, but I felt that I hadn’t been close to my potential previously, and there was plenty of scope in my training to improve without risking<span class=”text_exposed_show”>injury. This was of course coming off an entire summer of no running due to plantar fasciitis, but I didn’t intend to let that stop me… As one might expect, a spreadsheet was consulted, specifically one which had charted the progress of previous marathons, logging miles completed during training in the preceding 18 weeks. I find it rather hilarious now looking back to my first marathon in 2012 in Hyderabad where I only ran 475km or an average of 26km a week! (2:59 finish) Subsequent to moving back to the UK I ran even fewer for the Edinburgh marathon in 2015 with 418km (2:51 finish), but then improved slightly for my first London in 2016 with 529. 30km a week is still a long way off what is typical for someone running a 2:42 marathon, so significant scope for improvement. Almost doubling that to 934km for Bournemouth later that year knocked 2 minutes off, although on perhaps a slightly slower course. London 2017 shaved off 5 minutes after 1141km, an average of 63km/week, so still very low, and not quite as consistent as I would have liked. An arbitrary 1500km training was my aim to achieve 2:29:XX, an average of around 85km/week, and looking back now, I wasn’t far off with 1445, with 2 weeks off, one for moving house and another for being ill, so I averaged just over 90km for the weeks I did train.

This was mainly commuting, mixing up steady miles with fast stuff. 1 minute hard followed by 2 minutes easy, repeated 15 times was a particular favourite session which I think got a bit of speed into the legs. I also started double-running on a regular basis – often starting the day with a nice gentle 10k before taking the train the 2nd half, and a harder long run home in the evening. Remarkably, the days I ran both into and home from work all the way, I felt fresh, despite completing almost a whole marathon split by several hours at my desk in-between. The time penalty for run commuting is much smaller than stand-alone training sessions, and with a toddler at home, time was a scarce commodity, along with at times, quality sleep.

Confidence took a hit when during a session 10 days pre marathon I was doing 3 x 1 mile at 5km pace. This should have basically been a hard 5km with 2 rests to break it up, but I was struggling to hold that pace even for a mile. I therefore wasn’t particularly optimistic when starting the National 12-Stage Road Relays a week before London, but was happily proven wrong when I was well over a minute quicker than my previous time and was only a second behind our fastest runner on the team. Training over, it was taper time, and to get slightly nervous with the weather.

I listen to the Marathon Talk podcast and a while back they interviewed a runner/statistician guy called Barry Smythe. He had collected a lot of marathon performance data from different events and calculated the quickest way statistically to get a personal best. For London, most people ran a PB by running a 4% positive split, thus running the 2nd half 4% slower than the first. For a 2:30 finish this meant coming through halfway in 73 minutes, and then running the 2nd half in 77. That sounded pretty daunting, as my stand-alone half time (albeit from a few years ago) was 76 minutes. After seeing my family for the first time at Surrey Quays for enthusiastic high-fives, halfway wasn’t much later, pretty much spot on in 73 minutes. I then just kept on pushing, although never felt like I was pushing too hard, and everything was pretty much under control. Was passing loads of runners who must have been starting to find it tough, quite a few of them at quite a major speed differential.

Lots of scaremongering emails from the marathon organisers in the preceding week were predicting 2018 to be the hottest London Marathon on record, and urged runners to revise their goals and reconsider fancy dress. While it wasn’t quite as hot as forecast at one point, it did still reach about 23 degrees C, which some would consider warm. I restarted my running during a 5-year work stint in India, seeing some very warm and also humid conditions, so was relatively confident that I wouldn’t fare too badly in the heat. I always race in a lightweight white cap which I liberally douse with water at every available opportunity when required, and this goes a long way to keep me cool. Every water station entailed a small sip of water, the rest was thoroughly over the cap and body. I think this has quite a major impact, keeping the surface cool which then keeps the core cooler, less sweating, less drinking required, less salt loss etc This obviously wasn’t working for everyone, and it soon became apparent that the heat was affecting some more than me.

I did have a minor scare at about 40km when my watch said I’d just run a 4:00km instead of the 3:30ish of most of the preceding ones, but I managed to pick it up again. It was nice to be so far ahead of my 2:30 goal that I had loads of time in hand and could afford to jog it in for the last few miles and still be in target, so I was very relaxed. I then passed Kojo Kyreme (a local legend who holds most of the strava segments, or at least features high in the leaderboard) who has stopped on the Embankment with apparent cramps. What’s a more impressive scalp, Kojo or bib number 4, Guye Adola, one of the Ethiopian pre-race favourites, who was jogging it in around the Tower of London, presumably because some of his appearance fee was linked to finishing the race! Dimos, one of our club marathon heroes passed me at Big Ben, which was a bit of a surprise, and he had 17 seconds on me at the end, but no-one else in sight. Official finish time was 2:27:56, smashing my previous personal best by over 7 minutes!

It was very bizarre coming into an almost deserted post-race area. I chatted to a couple of top British club runners who had both missed their sub 2:20 goals by several minutes, but there weren’t any other runners around. Was absolutely staggered to discover I’d finished 15th in the championship (non-elite) start, 31st overall, and 11th British runner, including Mo Farah and Jonny Mellor, who were both in the elite race. My 2:30 goal would have placed me about 50-60ish most years, but being 2 minutes faster, and most folk being a bit slower pushed me up the order massively. Another benefit of it being deserted when I finished was the complete lack of crowds to navigate to meet up with my family at the end, resulting in a nice swift journey home.

I felt fresher than I’ve felt at the end of any marathon, with an average heart rate of 161 suggesting I wasn’t working too hard. Nothing more than 2 sore toenails and a medal to show for me exploits. Bladder came back on line mid-afternoon (which can sometimes take a while) and a weight of 63kg this morning indicating no overall fluid loss on the day. Maybe the Nike Vaporfly 4% shoes really are pure magic, but perhaps given the popularity of them pre-race, and the relative scarcity of PR’s suggest otherwise!

Now I’ve proven that stepping up the training with a bit more focus and sticking to a race plan on the day can pay dividends the only challenge is deciding what the next goal is, and how far I’m willing to go to achieve it. Balancing family life with training has been key for me, and I have an incredibly understanding wife who puts up with me creeping out at 5:30am on a regular basis and the washing machine constantly being full of muddy and smelly running clothes. My 2-year old son is also very tolerant of being bounced around in a running buggy, and has been a regular feature of long Sunday group runs around Wimbledon Common and Richmond Park. Without their support I wouldn’t be anywhere near this level.</span>

Cheers, Rich

Jamie
    Free Member

Nothing more than 2 sore toenails

Which is basically your MO 🙂

Edit: Obviously the first post is halfway down the page on that link….cuz why not, eh?

New forum coming 2012.

cchris2lou

Well done , very impressive .

wallop

Wow! Well done! Why are you here? 😂

stox
    Free Member

That’s a hell of a time .. huge respect. Well done

bensales
    Free Member

Congratulations, that’s an amazing time.

Given your training volumes and times in your early marathons, you’re obviously a natural talent. Enjoy it, not many people can do that.  I’m very impressed by your times on powerof10 as well.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

AVG HR of 161….  in that heat … WOW !!

You’ve got some more to give, no ?

I know we are all different when it comes to HR and I’m no where near your league… But the last decent length race i did wearing a HRM, my AVG HR was 177 over three hours…. ( ive stop wearing a monitor on race day now… feel it holds me back when I see it getting up through 180)

It’s bitter sweet for me to know that it’s not my lack of effort that stops being fast ….  It’s just that I’m a talentless plodder… 🙂

May I add, with respect, don’t waste the natural talent you have …. crack on.

Good Luck.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Epic work. Big respect here.

senorj

fair play.

lunge

Hell of an effort that is, very impressive time.

weeksy

Very impressive, well done indeed !

thecaptain
    Free Member

Well done turbo, if you could be bothered training properly you might be half-decent 🙂

alanf
    Free Member

I know a few people who do more miles leading into a marathon – averaging 90-100 miles a week – who can’t run at that pace.

Natural talent and a superb effort, but seems like you are only ticking over at that. Imagine if you actually tried 😛

Tiger6791

Amazing time!

Now eat some pies and relax 🙂

surfer
    Free Member

Well done Rich, Sub 2:30 is good running. I dont think your HM is a fair reflection!!

jamj1974

Holy shit that’s some going!  Very impressed!

turboferret

Sorry for the late reply, had to clear cookies before I could login.

Jamie has a good memory for my toenails 😀

Captain – indeed, some proper training may be in order to capitalise on what I may have a little bit of natural aptitude for

Surfer – yup, my half marathon PB is now 73:15, the first half of London 🙂

Alan – I did seem relaxed virtually until the very end, maybe trying to kill myself would have had a different outcome, maybe faster or significantly slower!

Legs felt remarkably good for a little 10k trot yesterday morning, and a spin on the bike was relaxing today, so it seems like it didn’t take a huge amount out of me.

Onwards and upwards,

Cheers, Rich

alanf
    Free Member

🙂 Fair play. Speaking to few people last night who tried to push a bit and then realized it wasn’t working, but by then it was too late and they’d blown their race. One guy ended up being nearly 40 minutes out from his plan he suffered so much and he did 2:44 last year.

It’s certainly a fine line between  too much and not enough so I reckon you got it just about spot on on the day.

The fact that you feel relatively good afterwards suggests the training and race day pace were pretty good for your conditioning.

I did Boston (UK) the week before London (nowhere near as fast as you) but didn’t over-extend myself and then managed to run a local ‘fell’ race on the Monday (Trunce) and was only fractionally slower than the previous effort (about 6 seconds) so I recon I got it about right for me too. I had a bit of a nip in my left hammy at about 24 miles but managed to nurse myself in without too much trouble. Was a bit tight after but nothing more.

surfer
    Free Member

Surfer – yup, my half marathon PB is now 73:15, the first half of London

That doesnt count 🙂

Should be knocking on the door of a sub 70. Make good use of that fitness, you are in good shape I would do as many races as you can once you have had a couple of days off.

peekay

amazing time there turboferret. 

I was in the same situation as alanf’s mate on Sunday.

Thought I was set to beat a PB of 2.58 with something around 2.55ish. All on target until Tower Bridge then it went to crap. Got too warm,  farted around with water too much at each stop,  got uncomfortably wet, then hot and wet, needed a pee, couldn’t muster the energy to get back up to pace, realised that sub 3hr was looking unlikely,  then sub 3.05 didn’t seem achievable and then I kind of mentally gave up. Crossed the finish not much off walking pace in 3.16. 2nd half 24 minutes slower than the first. Not a good race .

surfer
    Free Member

2nd half 24 minutes slower than the first. Not a good race

So you went out at 2:28 pace??

turboferret

Surfer, yup, I will at some point smash out a faster half, not got any of those in the callendar at the moment.

Got a 5000m on Monday, the hopefully the Highgate Night of the 10,000m PBs on 19th May (currently on the standby list) then the Vitality 10k 2 weeks later.  Need to get a bit more speed in the legs to be competitive for those though.

Cheers, Rich

Flaperon

In awe and somewhat jealous – well done!

peekay

@surfer,

No,  set out at average 6.40min/mile pace which I held for the first half coming in at about 1hr27 half way (started slowing at Tower Bridge mile 12ish though) still hoping for sub 2.55 at that point.

Second half was run in around 1hr50ish (24 mins slower), crossing the line at 3.16.

However I look at it,  it was not a successful race .

Disappointed , but quite relieved to not be tempted by Good for Age entry next year having said that this would be my last marathon.

surfer
    Free Member

@turboferret

Those Highgate races look great. Many years ago we used to have a similar thing at Trafford. They ran a number of events: usually 800, 1500, 3000. Turn up and register for some trivial amount hen they would shout out groups,

So for the 3000 for example everyone would stand by the start line (often upwards of 30-40 runners) and they would shout 8 MINUTES! a couple would shuffle forward. 8 MINUTES 15! a handful, 8 MINUTES 30, few more. That would be race 1 and so on. They were less races more time trials and you got into the race you aspired to, so for me typically 8:45. You ran with a similar bunch of runners until your eyeball popped and hopefully came away with a PB.

Events like that seem so unpopular now thats why the Highgate initiative is so good, and this one: https://www.fastrunning.com/opinion/comment/do-we-want-fast-times-then-lets-get-back-to-basics/14570

BTW good luck and let us know how you get on!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘2018 London Marathon Review’ is closed to new replies.