Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • 2018 Bike goals.
  • Andy_K

Now we’re well into the Christmas wind-down, what’s on your to-do list on the bike for next year?

Id like to do more long distance stuff next year, so I’ve got:

1) Metric century on the MTB
    2) 3 or 4 day MTB ride from home in Cumbria to my sisters in Leeds.

What have you got?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Ride Finale
    Race DH again
    Adapt back to UK conditions after 6 years out

grenosteve
    Free Member

Singletrack 7 solo.
    Go touring.

That’s it so far…

craig24
    Free Member

Ride more.

After buying my first home and spending 5 months of this year working on it, I look forward to having more time and more motivation to hopefully ride atleast twice a week.

Grand total of 222.7 miles this year 🙁

MoreCashThanDash

Continue running my FLAB social rides, and build it up for those in my group who are riding the FLAB sportive in May.

Help get the local council Cycle for Health rides up and running.

Get out more with the new club and get fit enough to lead the fast inters groups

Ride 5000 miles.

Ride a 200k audax

Beat whatever shockingly bad time I post in the clubs inaugural hill climb event on Boxing Day.

13thfloormonk

Ride 325 miles in one go from the bottom of Scotland to the top.

Preparation has already begun although I’ve not yet managed any ride over 4 hours! Still, 6 months to go… 🙄

philjunior
    Free Member

Find time around my new home arrangements to get out on the bike.

Have fun.

Maybe finally get around to visiting the local BMX track to have a go.

Use the track bike or sell it.

Do more nights away.

matt_outandabout

Ride more.

Andy_K

I was also going to add 3) Go to NZ, but it would have to be proceeded by 2.1) Rob post office 😀

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I’m going to:
    Ride in Madeira
    Do some bikepacking in the Alps
    Actually ride on that bike park I built
    Finish Grinduro this time
    Do the Ride to the Sun event

whitestone
    Free Member

Probably won’t try and do as much distance as this year – a bit weary now 😳
    Faster time on the HT550
    A couple of other ITTs

steve_b77
    Free Member

Get back on it basically, the latter half of 2017 has been a bit of a shit tip due to loosing motivation after a disastrous Mountain Mayhem 24hr Solo,
    retired at 5am and 16 or 17 laps and sitting comfortably in top 20, picking up a place every hour or so in as I just couldn’t take anymore, then getting a bit back for Torq 12:12 coming in 15th Overall and 5th Vet in 12hr solo then proceeding to smash myself up on the 3 Peaks and writing off most of my cyclocross season.

Target wise it’s continue with my new found favorite winter training location, Manchester Velodrome to get fitness and speed back then start building things up towards a tilt at the European 24hr solo age groupers in Slovakia in June.

Throw in a bit of XC racing, a couple of marathons here and there, Single Track 7 Solo and probably 10 Under or the one down south on the same’ish weekend and all should be rite.

mm93
    Free Member

My aim is to have no targets lol.
    I am going to start riding for fun only again,not worry about strava segments,average speeds,mileage etc.
    Basically learn how to bimble and enjoy being out on the bike again as I think the above have sucked a lot of the fun out of it for me this year.

milky1980
    Free Member

Would like to do the SDW again now I know what’s in store so can prepare better (and get a drier run).
    Skills need a refresher too, can feel bad habits becoming ingrained.
    Do more exploring and not worry about getting miles in (the focus of the last 2 years).

ads678

I’ve entered the tour of Wessex. So I better start training….

Actually I did start training in October, but got three consecutive calf strains running and now Christmas is getting in the way, so the new year is about hitting it hard!
    Most I’ve done so far is 70 miles in the yorkshire dales.

longmover
    Free Member

Do a couple of Enduros, ride my bike more and have lots of fun doing it.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Have a discussion with my mates as to where we will go for our 3-4 days at the end of May ..MTB stay.
    Arran has again been mentioned and I wouldn’t be too unhappy with that..as has The Cairngorms again ..
    My personal choice would be to go back to Torridon as there are a couple of rides in the area that I haven’t as yet done ( Poolewe being one ) ..so a bit of talking to do in January ..
    Other than that our regular Saturday rides somewhere in the north ..another fairly local bothy stay over ..we have 5 within striking distance local to each other ..and a mid week ride which is mostly solo ..
    No targets in terms of mileage ..but it will be fairly substantial ( off road mileage )
    Oh ..and to show a few of the forum members that have been in touch by PM some of our local trails ..

flyingmonkeycorps

Fewer miles and more fun.

I’m starting a new job in January which is 15 minutes walk from my front door, so I’ll be losing a 12 mile a day commute. It’s been extremely difficult to get motivated for weekend rides after a week of icy wet misery.

I’m planning on signing up for the South Lakes Jennride and hopefully doing a few more bikepacking rides as well as that.

There’s some cheeky trails near us that could do with a bit of love, now things are nice and wet it’s time to get the shovel out (though that might be the end of this year as well as next).

Might get a BMX to play on the local skatepark, might get back on my skateboard. Not decided yet.

trailwagger
    Free Member

My aim is to have no targets lol.
    I am going to start riding for fun only again,not worry about strava segments,average speeds,mileage etc.
    Basically learn how to bimble and enjoy being out on the bike again as I think the above have sucked a lot of the fun out of it for me this year.

I did this in 2017, its great!

tomhoward

Singletrack 7 again I think, maybe a few longer off road sportives. Possibly a 24hr

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Trip to Norway, learn tuck no handers, maintain teeth in current condition.

honourablegeorge

Just get out more. wice a week, without fail, at least – mor emiles, more fitness, more skills.

Maybe I should get one of those stravas like all the youngsters have nowadays

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

What are my goals? To ride more.

This year has been plagued by injury from a race in May & a smashed up shoulder. Hopefully the CT scan this Friday will confirm I’m good to go properly.

Subsequently to race a bit more. I’ve entered 8 races already for next year – I go up an age category this season so if I have a good winter of riding (rather than boring myself on a turbo) I should win a few.

A year of change for me – I’ll be glad when it’s over & starting again, as it’s not been easy on many levels.

Most of all, I’m excited to be riding again, which is best bit 🙂

federalski
    Free Member

3 for me for next year.

1) Cycle the West Highland way.
    2) Finally go a cycle tour of the Western Isles off Scotland, living in Glasgow I have only been to a few islands, and never on the bike, need to put that right.
    3) Do a week or so Euro tour, did my first ever touring trip earlier this year and loved it.

fathomer

Generally just to keep riding as much as possible and most importantly, keep enjoying it.

Though I’m going to have a crack at the Peak District Lord of the Loops, do another century on the road bike and do as many enduro’s as possible. Unlike Hob Nob I won’t be anywhere near the podium or top half for that matter 😀

I’d also like to get to the top of some more proper mountains.

aP
    Free Member

1. Hopefully not get a 2nd detached retina
    2. Have fun at Tro Bro Leon and Strada Bianche
    3. That it’ll be dry for Gravel Dash 50:50
    4. Either ride Tuscany Trails (again) or Apulia Trail or Tour de la Resistance
    5. Do an out and back in the Cevennes – pretending to be The Rider 😉
    6. Maybe do Exmouth Exodus again, but ride to Bath on Saturday
    7. Broadly have fun…

bazhall
    Free Member

1. Ride more than this year
    2. Take part in the G-Form Enjoyro

YoKaiser
    Free Member

2017 was a washout, really lost the mojo. 2018 will hopefully be a lot better. A Welsh trail centre jaunt is already penciled in and I’ll hopefully get a few uplift days and Fort William ones too. Pointing towards going down without really pedalling up kinda thing.

headfirst
    Free Member

Ride more, have fewer excuses for not riding – get my bike mojo back!

tomhoward

Actually, all I really want is to get back to where I was fitness wise around July this year, which is the fittest I’ve ever been, but various injuries (hip issue, tearing a hole in my knee, toe saga) conspired to put me back to where I was this time last year, only a stone heavier 👿

hardtailonly

Just the thread I was looking for, and will follow with interest … Got my Singletrack 2018 calendar to fill up! 🙂

I turn 50 this year, so was wanting to do some new ‘challenges’ … and have a new bike on the way to put through its paces.

Balancing what I want to do, with what time I will have available, will be the trick / challenge, and it may well be that it will have to become a decade of challenges! And the money – available cash has bought the new bike, but I still need bike-packing gear / entry fees etc!

So far, musing on:

1. Dirty Reiver – done it the last 2 years, so not sure I will enter again;

2. Turin-Nice in September – would be a great trip, trouble is I think I’ve probably spent my air-fare on the new bike,. so funding this might be the problem …

3. 3PCX – first time last year, definitely got unfinished business! Only takes a day out so would fit in well with other commitments

4. The ‘This is not a tour’ Welsh Audax bike rides in the spirit of Mike Hall – possibly the 400km event.

5. One or some of the ‘Racing Collective’ Cross-duro events

6. Possibly a 24 hour or a marathon MTB event?

7. One or two weekends away with the lads, playing on MTB’s in the mountains (North Wales, Lakes), enjoying beers and having laugh’s.

jimdubleyou

I want to do some longer backpacking rides, but realistically the Gravel Dash 50:50 at the end of May will probably be the zenith next year.

I have a hankering to do the Wessex Way – but not sure when…

LittleNose
    Free Member

2017 goals I’d made for myself:
    1/ cycle an average of 10km per day (3650km)
    2/ learn how to leave the ground and be confident to land on my pedals every time (thanks Tony and Tom for helping with this)
    3/ build a bike for the first time
    4/ get an app on the app store

Only achieved #3 at 100% – close on 1 and 2, but I dumped 4 and started learning python instead.

2018 has the potential to be brilliant:
    1/ cycle an average of 5 hours a week – time is a better measure than distance,
    2/ enter a mtb cycling event (probably singletrack 7),
    3/ do a multi-day gravel bike ride from home and the get the train home,
    4/ get hitched and get a house / stop renting.

ton

to try and go a year without surgery.
    to organise some stw rides so i can meet up with some old friends to ride again.
    the try and get something that seems like fitness back.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Put medical problems/injuries behind me. Train small and steady. Build it up. Am already two years behind in cycle touring/bikepacking plans owing to stubborn inguinal tears and other stuff currently under investigation.

Also – think more about riding and less about bikes.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Nothing big. I try to stay healthy…

longer trips: tried Austria mountain biking (again). Was nice – but at the same time was surprised to find everywhere “NO MOUNTAIN BIKING” signs now. Things change… 😥

will try France again. Jura area. Did that years ago and it was wonderful. 🙄

xherbivorex
    Free Member

i’d just actually like to ride my bikes a bit. don’t care where really.

benman
    Free Member

Fun goals as usual for me.

– Break 1500 miles on Strava. Not done this since having kids
    – Dyfi Enduro
    – Ride in the alps again
    – Do another multi-day ride, probably the Sandstone way
    – Build an Orange Stage 5
    – Do more mountain rides (although I managed a couple this year)

chakaping
    Free Member

Came into 2017 with plans to do loads of miles and get away with the road bike more. Ended up riding 80% or more MTB this year and really loving it.

Am actually gonna do more base miles this winter, but other than that I’ll probably just see what I fancy.

1) Metric century on the MTB

I’d be up for doing this with you Andy, if we could find a flattish but interesting route.

freeagent
    Free Member

This year is the third year I’ve tried to ride 3000 miles.. last year I finished on 2897, as of today (with 11 days to go) I’m at 2849.

Regardless of if I achieve it this year, I’m going to try and ride 3000 miles again next year.

Riding London to Amsterdam in May-18
    Will do Ride London in 2018 if I get a place in the ballot.
    Ride my MTB (didn’t ride it at all in 2017)
    Ride with my kids a bit more.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘2018 Bike goals.’ is closed to new replies.