2017 XC Racing Thread

Home Forum Bike Forum 2017 XC Racing Thread

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 781 total)
  • 2017 XC Racing Thread
  • Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

33rd out of 52 for me.

8th out of 20 for my boy

Yak from here finished 25th

Looking at the results, I did 1 lap more too! My strava finished 1hour 25. The race finished 1hour 6 lol

Good stuff there family Weeksy

ferrals

Well done Weeksy and mini-weeksie! What cat were you in?

Couple of hard 9hr training weeks for me, but according to strava it’s coming good, think I’ve had 7 KOMs and a bunch of top tens this week πŸ™‚ even had some on descents. Just have to remember not to get totally sh!t-faced all week when I’m on hols and I should be good for Wasing πŸ˜†

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Open. Which is their most friendly in terms of ability.

Premier Icon Yak
    Subscriber

Nice one team weeksy!. We had a fun morning too. Daughter came in 3rd in u9s, son 20th in the u12s (massive step up there – things get serious!) and as above I came in 25th in open. Slower first lap, then I managed to find some oomph and have some fun on laps 2-4. Whilst I always prefer hilly courses, it’s always fun at Checkendon, especially when it’s this dry n’fast. Nice one Southern XC!

r8jimbob88

Stop it with all your talk of dry and dusty trails! It’s rained all week up here!

wheely

Anyone riding the SWXC series in Devon starting on Sunday ?

Premier Icon adsh
    Subscriber

Not a bad race at Checkendon. Not seeded so about 20th on the grid. Failed to clip on the start about 4 times so nearly dead last. Got up to 18th, beat a few people who normally beat me and closer to some others. More fitness required.

r8jimbob88

Start list has been confirmed for this weekends Nationals at Wasing Park. Looks like a very busy weekend! Lots of riders. Fortunately i’ll be starting on the second row rather than the back this time!

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/nationalmtbxcseries/article/20170419-MTB-Cross-Country-Series-Race-guide–2017-HSBC-UK—National-Cross-Country-Series-continues-at-Wasing-Park-0

ferrals

Looks like big fields, I’ll be third row assuming 6-8 in each row. Is there much of a start loop at Wasing?

Did you see practis starts at eleven? I won’t be able to take advantage of the extra hour but it’s a great move for us Saturday racers, hope it’s like that for the last round (not doing the two northern ones)

iain65

15th grid spot in GV for me, hopefully second row, maybe third.

Awesome result Weeksy and mini weeksy! That photo of you two is exactly what racing should be about, brilliant mate

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

That photo of you two is exactly what racing should be about, brilliant mate

Sometimes i worry and i/we begin to lose track of that when it comes to XC Racing. My lad could have been unhappy with his finishing position, i was slightly surprised at it in honesty, but he’s not ‘training’ in the same way as the lads at the front. For me, i could have been unhappy at for example not making top 50%

Instead, we both came away having an absolute blast. It was proper fun.

Although if you’re looking for some feedback, he felt the kids course was too easy techincally compared to XC rampage. However, he’s right at the borderline of the age catagory, so maybe it’s easier for the smaller kids, which is fair of course πŸ™‚

The only other thing i didn’t like was a few of the guys in the field in the ‘fun’ type catagory who were clearly not there in a ‘fun’ context, they were seasoned racers out glory hunting… Which is just a bit of a pet peeve for me.
    The start area was a little on the small side for the race too meaning it was imposible to get all the riders in.

Lastly… I ended up doing 5 laps of the course, instead of 4. That was down to me mis-hearing or mis-reading the rules for the Cat, but i was far from alone in doing the extra lap, but as i came round, the clock said 8mins…. So i carried on. I shouldn’t really have been allowed to.
    It didn’t matter as i did my best overtaking on what was actually THAT finish and went past 2 bikes after the woods lol, so it worked out OK for me and was a nice bit of training

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

I now have a suitable bike…

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

does it have 890mm flat carbon bars?

ferrals

The only other thing i didn’t like was a few of the guys in the field in the ‘fun’ type catagory who were clearly not there in a ‘fun’ context, they were seasoned racers out glory hunting… Which is just a bit of a pet peeve for me.

That is a funny one, I think once you’ve won a fun race you should have to move to open or sport/vet to give other people a taste of winning, although to be fair sometimes it’s people just racing whatever time works for them.

Premier Icon adsh
    Subscriber

^I’m not sure any of the categories are ‘fun’? More like less experienced? There are some mighty fast less experienced riders.

Anyone nearly endo on the log jump?

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Anyone nearly endo on the log jump?

As i was on the Whyte T-130 i was launching off it and having a blast πŸ™‚

Weirdly, the guy in front got pics, the guy behind me got pics…. me…. no pics !

Also noticed on the other pics that Yak was right in front of me on lap1…. I noticed a pink bike, but knew nothing about what he was on… It was only later seeing the pics i realised it was him or i’d have shouted and abused him a bit.

I get the point about ‘fun’ but clearly some of the riders were very very experienced racers.

Premier Icon Yak
    Subscriber

Haha! Yeah, my pink dirty harry! Feel free to hurl abuse my way πŸ˜€

The thing about open is that it wraps up everyone who isn’t up for sport, and in particular vet. Vet is very fast imo, and way beyond me and my meagre amount of riding. So there are a lot of quite-fast-but-not-vet-fast vets in open. ( I mean the vets at the front, not me obvs…)

Premier Icon notmyrealname
    Subscriber

I get the point about ‘fun’ but clearly some of the riders were very very experienced racers

That’s quite normal in most races from what I’ve seen. It’s not out of the ordinary to have riders one season getting podium places or very close to them in other categories like Sport or Vets then dropping down to Open the following season.
    It takes the piss sometimes but there’s no way the organisers can realistically check that every rider is in the ‘correct’ category.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Yup, can’t argue and people will always go in Cats for a reason, could be early start, could be podium finish, at the end of the day, it made no difference to my enjoyment πŸ™‚

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Next up then is Crow Hill, Ringwood, BH24 3DA (Regional Championships)
    on the 28th May.

The designation of ‘regional championships’ is a minor concern to me…. But it would be good to see if we can get back out and potentially find some form for my boy. He seems to have lost both his Mojo and form, i wonder if it’s partly me not pushing him hard enough to race. The fast lads in his class seem to race every single weekend. But i don’t really want that level of seriousness for him and in honesty we don’t have the time for that either as a family.

Having watched a fair few kids go through the ranks it seems that you’ve found yourself in a very normal position Weeksy, it’s striking that balance between encouragement and pushing, the smile on your lads face suggests your pretty much on the money!

See you at Croww Hill for he next round.

Good luck to all of you riding the nationals this weekend at Wasing!

First race completed. Premier of the regional XC series and 5th place in Vets 40.

4 * 3.5km laps with some serious A lines in place with doubles, drops, and rock gardens which made for some excellent tactics and kept things interesting.

As it was the first race of the season I lucked out and got a front row call up in the lottery which meant I had a real chance to get out and smash it. The season is more focused on marathon races but it’s super pleasing to pick up a good result first off and almost podium.

ferrals

Nice one Swedish chef! Weeksy were you and your lad loitering around the national today? Saw someone that looked like your pic but wasn’t sure. Will post a race report when I have more energy!

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

No Sir. Family stuff at home

ferrals

Just as well I didn’t go up to them and say ‘are you Weeksy?’ then!

ferrals

Hmm, I posted a race report last night and only the first line got put up!

Great course, very loose and dusty, lots of roots and a bunch of sun-baked ruts, my back was wishing I had a full suss by the last lap! First hot and sunny race of the year for me too. Nice to have a few slightly technial uphill sections too, although it was basically a flat course. Lots of a/b splits. Lack of confidence meant I rode the b-line forthefirst one in the race despite riding the a in practise. The big drop was always going to be the b-line, quitesevere for a b-line although it was easy to ride and great fun. Rode the other a-lines.

Sport results aren’t up yet, I’m mildly concerned I didn’t hear the timing mat peep as I went over it at the finish so hope they worked ok. I didn’t do well, was aiming to stay with the guy I had a close race with at Pembrey but a lack of sleep and dodgy bowels that morning meant I felt pretty washed out and lost sight of him by the end of the first lap. Had some tight racing with another guy for the middle two laps but got enough of a gap by the last lap I was riding alone. Just as well as I started to bonk, faded fast and had a couple of vom swallowing moments! Felt like I was riding the technical sections faster this race which I was pleased with as normall that lets me down, only did a half hearted warm up and felt it so will have to make more of an effort next time.

No racing till the end of May for me now, thankfully will be a hilly one for third round of the Welsh at aber which should play to my strengths a bit more. Was a great fun course last year, nice and steep and natural-ish

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

Well done Ferrals! I always like Wasing, particularly in the dry. Well, only in the dry actually!

Lastly… I ended up doing 5 laps of the course, instead of 4. That was down to me mis-hearing or mis-reading the rules for the Cat, but i was far from alone in doing the extra lap, but as i came round, the clock said 8mins….

There is no countdown clock Weeksy – true XC races are always a set number of laps, they should say on the start line how many that is, as it can change from what’s advertised, but there will never, ever be a case of “there’s time for one more” in any category.

I’m going to dust off my mountain bike and ride the Gorrick next Sunday. First proper XC race in 18 months, sure I’ll get a total kicking, but hey ho! I still have an expert licence, so feel I should ride expert, but I really will finish last there, so may just hide in the middle of sport instead!

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

Nice work! And good luck next week NJee

4 months of weekly racing or TT kicks off for me next Saturday. With the end of Training in March, a couple of bouts of sickness and the factbthe Scott Marathon kixked my arse i feel under prepared but hey.

My next MSG round in May is a Regional champs. What does this mean for entries in my category (Vet)? The reason i becuase after missing one round im back on the last remaining grid spot, and although i know the MSG regulars i can aim to take places back from, will it be flooded with other riders for the Champs meaning ill lose places? Or will they all be in Elite?

r8jimbob88

Also raced the nationals yesterday in Sport category. 8th for me. Lost out to 7th in a 3 way sprint at the end. Happy with the results and hit all the A lines inc the big drop. Felt a bit rough on the bike yesterday though, too much energy drink before the race. Major stitch on lap 3 and almost had a sneaky little vomit at one point…. The course was great, relentlessly punishing and so damn rough.

Might race at Aske next Sunday for north of England champs. If not, I’ll be at Cannock for midlands Round 3 in May.

My mate is racing Expert at Wasing today so I’ll be in the feedzone for him

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Wow… Good work buddy… You’re certainly on the right side of ‘a it handy’ πŸ™‚

There is no countdown clock Weeksy – true XC races are always a set number of laps, they should say on the start line how many that is, as it can change from what’s advertised, but there will never, ever be a case of “there’s time for one more” in any category.

Partly right but; Due to the time limits that BC are encouraging the organisers to enforce there is a count down clock. So for example Sport is a 4 lap race (there is no point in doing more as your 5th lap and more will not count) and the briefing should tell you this but it also a minimum length of 1.5 hrs so you can’t start a lap after an hour and half, hence the clock. I hope that makes sense?

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

I stand corrected, apologies. How daft.

padkinson

I’m writing this from the portaloo at Wasing πŸ™‚

Yesterday I was on the verge of begging someone for a full sus, I did a fast lap in practice yesterday and felt like I’d been boxing. Had a few practice runs down the big drop and found that it’s between 1-2 second quicker, so if I feel proper knackered towards the end I might give it a miss. Gridded 34th elite thanks to a disastrous Pembrey, I’d quite like to halve that at the finish, so 17th.

Now I’ve just got to wait around for 6 bloody hours!

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Good luck !

ferrals

Good luck! Glad I wasn’t the only one that found it bumpy – my back and calfs were shot at the end.

Well done jimbob, your getting some storming results!

How did you get on Paddy!

Stupid.is

Well it was my first proper xc race of the year today at the first round of the Southwest XC series at Woodbury Common. Was running first in the fun cat racing my mates and chasing the wheels of the faster guys but sadly a broken chain ended my race. The course was cracking with loads of technical singletrack and gravel climbs. In all a great day out!

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 781 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.