• This topic has 780 replies, 86 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by ac282.
Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 781 total)
  • 2017 XC Racing Thread
  • Kryton57

1. Have a key very high quality session each week that you do to complete exhaustion – eg 4 increasing to 5x 15minutes x 90% your 20minute FTP. This session is trumps – nothing must get in the way of going into it rested and giving maximum effort.

Not that want to walk away from good advice, but wouldn’t repeating VO2Max in the 3/4 weeks between races be closer to real race efforts?

FWIW my Key events (A races) are the Scott Marathons – 1st mid April. So in the three weeks to the next MSG in March, I should do the last 3 weeks of a TR Build plan, repeating that monthly unless its the month leading up to a Scott Marathon where I’d do the last 3 weeks of Speciality?

adsh
    Free Member

Honestly I’m not sure as I have a coach built plan. All I can say is off the back of a 5 weeks of only doing that session once a week because I was moving house, I was race fit and got my best result at the Gorrick 100.

winterfold
    Free Member

I’ve done 3 races now in Vet/Grand Vet and **** me there are some nifty old buggers about.

I have power meters on my TT and road bikes but cannot see how it really helps with XC? I am pedalling loads and putting down quite decent NP (I would imagine) but that is not why I am being owned – its because my skillz are shit and I don’t have any flow 🙂

Very enjoying it though, even if I am firmly in the bottom half the field.

Spending 3k on a short travel 29er would definitely make me faster and a better husband/father right 😉

weeksy

So, first round of southern xc next weekend! Wasing park. I’m looking forward to this. Seems an interesting course. I’ll decide closer to the time if I’m taking the Parkwood or the T130. The weather and subsequent rubber choices may influence the decision.

ferrals
    Free Member

First round of the Welsh xc series tomorrow, looking forward to it but apprehensive about fitness! Course sounds epic, incorporating 373 and graveyard from the wall trail and the 4x track. Wish I was fitter!

crosshair
    Free Member

@Weeksy- shame I’m busy or I’d have come and cheered you on. What cat are you racing?

weeksy

CH, racing in Mens E3C’s Open, which seems from the groupings to be about the least quick one they have, of course its all relative as we know as even fun classes are still quick at the pointy end.

I only entered it because my lad was entering but he’s now got a tryout day for the Philharmonic for flute, so he’s bailed on me, but I’ve now paid my £22 and its a new course I’ve not ridden, so will be interesting anyway.

crosshair
    Free Member

Cool! Be interesting to compare to today…..

chrispo
    Free Member

Spending 3k on a short travel 29er would definitely make me faster and a better husband/father right

Absolutely. Though I got well beaten by an enduro bike at Afan today and kinda wish I’d taken mine.

ferrals
    Free Member

Funny old race today (Welsh round 1), 2 month old decided to be lively last night so minimal sleep meaning I wasn’t really feeling competitive at all. Didn’t warm up just rode half the lap and then sat in the car, didn’t bother pushing for a good starting position (not that you needed one with the start fireroad hill). Still really enjoyed myself, quite nice not feeling any pressure, just paced myself round. Tiredness didn’t actually hit my fitness a huge amount as I’m not fit at the moment anyway, but my focus for the 373 and graveyard section was shot, rode them very poorly. Pleased with my consistency though: according to strava all three laps within 40s of each other and on the main 2km climb my three times were 11.31, 11.32 and 11.34.

Wish we’d had that course last year when I was fit and had sleep, would have suited me down to the ground, half think I should have pushed harder as legs feel ok now but hey-ho. One of my club mates broke their collarbone in practise and I was mindful I’d be divorced if I came home incapacitated!

My eyes are wrecked now. I always wear glasses but by half way through second lap I couldn’t see a thing so took them off. Currently leaking grit out of them.. Now I remember why I have a phobia of not wearing glasses!

ferrals
    Free Member

chrispo – Member
    Absolutely. Though I got well beaten by an enduro bike at Afan today and kinda wish I’d taken mine.

It’s funny, at all the trail centre based xc races I’ve done there have been a few enduro racers turn up and smash most of the field.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Can anyone explain the category’s for the National Champs at Cannock? There is a Sport Male (non-championship) and a Senior Male (Elite, Expert, Sport).

Am I right in thinking that you don’t earn BC points in the Senior category? You forfeit those for a chance at the National Champs jersey? And vice versa for the Sport Male category?

Confusing!

ferrals
    Free Member

If i remember rightly you get double points in the championship category but not in the sports cat as its not a championship race. Its on the BC website somewhere in the description of points.

EDIT. Interestingly just looked at 2016 results, only 12 did sport and only 30 in senior. Guess as sport isnt part of a series its not that atractive and you dont enter senior to get lapped!! WOnder if being in Scotlnad last year impacted nubmers. I really enjoyed the cannock race last year so was half thinking of doing it but a long way to go for a small field.

xc-steve
    Free Member

Usually the Sport only race at national champs is a support race. Meaning you win it you’ve just won the support race. If your in sport and enter the actual champs race (elite/expert/sport) your position is your national ranking i.e you could in theory win and become the national champ…

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Anyone know the difference between National A and National B points?

National champs at Cannock has the sport category down as a regional A race. Double points are awarded for regional champs. Does that include national champs?

ferrals
    Free Member

If you look on the BC website it gives all the information, and a table of the points for the different designation:
    National ranking points explained

I guess the reasoning is that as the sport cat in the national champs isn’t part of the national series its just considered a regional race.

Kryton57

About setup; is there any secret to the pro inverted stem configuration? I have a straight stem, 20mm of spacers and a 15mm rise bar and am wondering if i should lower it for er power/aero/pro etc.

Im concious of leaving less steerer if resold thats all.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Lower stem helps keep the front wheel on the ground on steep climbs. It’s slightly more aero. I personally prefer decending with a low front end, feels more precise in the turns

DrP

RE stem flipping.. It’s because 29er wheels (clearly) raise the front of the bike, so you can flip the stem to bring the weight and position forward/down.

I’ve got a flipped 10% stem on my XC bike – feels much more comfortable.

However, it it wasn’t I wouldn’t do it just for ‘looks’!

DrP

Kryton57

Righto thanks. Seeing as I have 0 degree stem I’ll lower it to the headtube for a race and see how it feels, leaving the spacers above and minding my teeth – before I cut.

I don’t have any issue with wandering on climbs on my bike as it is.

Pic of current setup FWIW:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/SLnob2]Untitled[/url]

(Yes the saddle is too low – the seatpost slipped by 3cm on that ride)

ferrals
    Free Member

IT entirely depends on what you like and what your hip flexiblilty is like.

Personally I like a low front end, same as jimbob it improves my cornering, as a natural mincer I don’t weight the front wheel enough, a low front end forces me to slightly more. Additionally ridign a cx bike a lot, a high front end makes me feel like I’m going shopping. I dont have a massive negative stem though (maybe -6deg but its only 70mm), just no spacers and a flat bar

adsh
    Free Member

I run my bars 3-4cm lower than my saddle.

I may have over trained – had a rest week, have restarted and have the motivation of a sloth. Having the events I targeted as ‘A’ cancelled doesn’t help.

Kryton57

I may have over trained – had a rest week, have restarted and have the motivation of a sloth

I felt the same in Feb ADSH. I had a varied effort at “training” and didn’t achieve much. But, I raced, poorly IMO and my mojo came back.

My output is still flat compared to last year – FTP anyway – so I’ll look to change up my routine perhaps for next years winter training, but it is what it is for 2017. I have 20 events left to go so maybe I’ll naturally train through racing and peak later in the year.

Can you enter something else?

fifeandy
    Free Member

and have the motivation of a sloth

A sign that you may still be over-trained?

ferrals
    Free Member

I think that motivation and sloth-like-ness is a real issue this time of year, been dark a long time and the cumulative training stress is large.
    Sure with a race or two under your belt will feel differently and the legs will be in good shape when it counts.

what was cancelled? get soemthing else in the diary!

Despite feeling like I could have done a lot better last Sunday I’m pleased to see lookin at roots and rain that actually I placed better tan previous years, rnd 1 2015 i came 13th/19; round 1 2016 i was 11th/20 and this year was 9th/17. Obivously differnet courses, different competitors but still quite pleased, especially as I’m (allegedly) not taking xc seriously this year

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

As this is the XC racing thread I though I’d ask what people are using for tyres this season?

I’ve traditionally run the standard Nobby Nick/Racing Ralph combo, however this winter I’ve had some heavier Maxxis Ikon/Ardernts and really like them so I’m thinking about running the lighter versions of these instead.

Most likely as a Ikon 2.2 rear and Ardent Race 2.2 on the front.

everyone
    Free Member

Will be running ron/ralph as normal until the new bike turns up when I’ll swap to ikons because they’re what it comes with and I’ve not got any other 29er tyres!

Adam@BikeWorks
    Free Member

I ran Ron/Ralphs for ages, but used to get quite a lot of flats, so last year I changed to Vittoria, and (knock on wood) haven’t flatted in a race since.
    Currently running a Barzo front and a Mezcal rear. They’re a little heavier than the Schwalbe’s, but the Mezcal especially rolls really fast.
    And they’re cheaper than Schwalbe evo’s…

ferrals
    Free Member

Am on Rons front and back at the moment. the rear ron is almost bald so while normally I’d switch to a ralph when it gets drier, i’m not going to bother till the rear is totally gone.

Pembrey nat. is next for me. Nice to see a good long lap length planned. Last year was crazy fast even in the rain

matt-lewis
    Free Member

That Roots and Rain website is a great one! Racing Ralphs for me too.

Cheers,

Matt Lewis

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

Ralph on the front and the back for me. Should probably stick a Ron up front but not sure I can be bothered!

I’ve got a spare Thunder Burt that I’ve yet to use. One for the driest of days perhaps.

My first race is Sherwood pines a week on Sunday. I’m a bit apprehensive as I’m a lot fitter than last year and really hoping this will show in the results. I’ve also gone from a hardtail to a short travel full sus. I’m a little lighter than last year and FTP is a good chunk higher too.

I’m targeting the Midlands series and the Nationals. I’ll try and do some Nutctacker events too.

Anyone else noticed that Midlands have Round 5 & 6 on the same weekend!? Saturday and Sunday!

padkinson
    Free Member

Giving Maxxis Pace a go this year – they seem to have the speed of Fast Traks and Race Kings without the sketchy cornering, and seem tougher than Schwalbe. They’ve coped admirably in some horrible mud so far, don’t clear very well but have just enough tread to get up stuff.

iain65
    Free Member

I’ve nort contributed for a while but noticed a couple of recent postings, a little interest in XCM stage races, I did the Andalucia Bike Race last week which is a UCI 6 day XCM event in Spain, I thought it would be a bit of fun and good early season training but it is one of the biggest MTB stage races on the calendar which was a bit of a shock, it’s not often you get the chance to compete against world and Olympic champions past and present in any sport but this was one of them. There ws about 700 competitors with a TT first stage to grid riders and then mass starts from then – the starts were mental, 22 mph average on the flat before the first hills on gravel roads plus the town centre start in Codoba made it a bit of an ‘on the rivet crash fest’ at times!
    The stages were brutal, 4+ hours in the saddle each day but some awesome singletrack, even more awesome descents and horrific climbs. Once you got over the fatigue, the grin factor was huge!
    I finished 15th in Master 50 category which I was pleased with, best stage finish was about 208th, I went with three other team mates, one is the current XCM vets champion and he finished 5th in Master 40 – an amazing achievement considering the world class field.
    If anyone wants a proper challenge I can highly recommend the ABR – much better than any training camp and brilliantly organised by friendly people- it’s a proper major event. I’m still grinning one week on after it! Mail me if anyone wants more info.

The other thread I spotted was about stages power meters and accuracy, I used one in the ABR and it was essential on long climbs and the early stages of the event to pace myself (too much adrenalin early on can kill your legs later). The stages readings corresponded well to my Quark unit and to a Wattbike so I can say that in my experience it’s pretty accurate, it’s not an ideal tool for XC racing though as the data is interesting but there is not much you can use during the race, good to look at for later analysis however.

Anyway, it’s back to UK mud now and first Midlands XC in a weeks time!

adsh
    Free Member

what was cancelled? get soemthing else in the diary

G100 and Summer Monkey. Had specifically targeted 6hr races ahead of BBD but unless Erlestoke happens there aren’t any now.

I can race once a month – 80minutes XC doesn’t really seem long enough.

crosshair
    Free Member

Wow! Well done Iain65! That sounds incredible. Any good blogs from the event?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Great performance Iain65!

I have looked at that race as a bucket list item, think I’ll need to delve a little deeper into the logistics of it after reading that.

weeksy

that sounds amazing Iain ! Jelous beyond words.

Kryton57

What Weeksy said, awesome! I’ve always wanted to do the BC race, but I have an issue with flying so that remains a distant dream for the moment.

ADSH – Scott Marathon 9th April?

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I’ve always wanted to do the BC race

Find a way Kryters!

It’s well worth the pain – I’m going back this year!

shortcut

Another vote for BC Bike Race – I’m hoping to get back in 2018, it is well organised and great fun.

As to this year I am fresh back from a month in New Zealand where I rode The Pioneer which was very hard and rewarding but just not fun enough for me to want to return for that particular race. Other riding we did around the Port Hills of Christchurch, Nelson, Wellington and best of all Rotorua was amazing.

Events I am currently booked in for in the UK are a little thin at the moment.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 781 total)

The topic ‘2017 XC Racing Thread’ is closed to new replies.