Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • 2017 Whyte G-160. Any reason not to?
  • mashr

I’ve been thinking recently about going from a 2013 Five to something that’s full ENDURO. It would pretty much only be used for winch and plummet, and the Five is hardly an outstanding climber, so quite happy that this sort of bike would do the job.

Someone I know is looking to sell a 2017 G-160s. Condition-wise it’s not been heavily used at all, I’ll have a good check but expecting it to be tip-top. Spec-wise it’s still stock, and the price is good. I’ll likely not like the Yari, but can switch that to coil pretty easily. Shock setup seems to need a bit of time taken, buts ok. Wheels are a bit heavy, but nothing wrong with them.

Is there any reason I shouldn’t go for it?

timbog160

Fabulous bike – sold mine 2 weeks ago – only coz I’ve moved onto a G170 – will be ideal from sound of it. Only thing I found was it can be prone to pedal strikes if that bothers you but you soon get used to it…

weeksy

Neighbor has one and loves it. I was tempted last week but couldn’t get one at right money so went t-130 again.

transporter13
    Free Member

Excellent bike… I have the works version of that year. As said above, pedal strikes are common and they are heavier than other bikes but if you’re the type that prefers fire road climbs and then enjoy the downs it’d be very hard to recommend something different.

baldiebenty
    Free Member

Loved mine until it was nicked.
    Luftkappe on the Yari and replaced the Monarch with a DPX2

Backend is a bit flexy which I think puts more strain on the bearings but they’re not difficult to replace and the G170S has a beefier rear setup, it managed to survive my casing jumps and occasional interfaces with trees with no ill effect. I think it even pedalled ok too, until I put ridiculous heavy draggy tyres on it.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Had mine for coming up to two years , changed the wheels and shock and brakes , Ive though about selling for the newer G170 29er but truth be told every time I ride it im left with a smile on my face , Climbs well but really shines when pointed down. long low slack and balls out fast if you can handle it.

timbog160

As above changed mine for g170 carbon – and there is a bit of me that regrets it actually – 170 just doesn’t seem (so far anyway) to have the same character…

jakehinton
    Free Member

Well a mate of mine had one and pretty much everything on it broke in the first 3 months of owning it, though I think it was down to bad luck mostly and whyte replaced and upgraded pretty much everything on the bike. So they have good aftersales care anyway!

stevedoc
    Free Member

@timbog160

Id be interested to here why you think its not for you. I ask as for the last 6 months ive watched the images of the new 29er 170 and hovered over a demo /buy button..As per my last post it 160 is brilliant but the lure of new lighter carbon Whyte goodness has be drooling

timbog160

Oh don’t get me wrong it’s a fabulous bike, and man does it fly on the descents. It’s just that it seems to be taking me a little longer to get the best out of it. I bought a nearly mint c works, having hovered around some of the discounted ones for a while. For £4K you get a huge amount of bike and fabulous spec. I only had the 160 for a year though so maybe in retrospect I should have just kept it a bit longer.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Cheers as i said im almost 2 years in and contemplating the swap..but a 2k upgrade on a bike that i really get on with. Time to use my head

mashr

I just realised I never came back to what I started, so thought I’d say that I bought the bike based on a lot of the words above and a quick test ride – then immediately got a stonking chest infection so haven’t really ridden it *rolleyes*

Seems like it’ll suit me nicely. Surprised that it doesn’t feel as big as expected, apart from the bars that I’ll likely take 10mm off each end. OTOH I’ve immediately shoved a coil spring on the fork and something with a bit more grip instead of the WTB Riddler on the rear (plus a good few volume spacers to start with). Looking forward to riding it somewhere decent!

transporter13
    Free Member

Nice one.. Hope it lives up to the praise👍

I’m sure it will

stevedoc
    Free Member

Works well with a coil shock as well  .. well works for me anyways

timbog160

Looks great with the coil! I tried a cane creek db cs but the piggy back version wouldn’t fit unfortunately.

Now getting the hang of my G170 and have gone with super deluxe coil on that. It’s taken me a while to adjust to just how quick it is!

stevedoc
    Free Member

Tim looks stunning .. Im still very very tempted by the new G170 29er just need to find a large in stock somewhere as its a little shorter on the reach and might be a problem for me

timbog160

I ditched the high roller/ minion ss combo too for magic mary/ hans d in 2.6 flavour – my first Schwalbes and very impressed I have to say. Loads of clearance left on the 2.6’s but the rims are 30mm internal width so I’d be reluctant to go much further without a change of wheels.

The 29’er will be a complete beast – I’d like to try one but only being 5’7” I worry about all that bike!

stevedoc
    Free Member

I ran a 2.6 DHF and 2.5 Aggressor at weekend it was brilliant, id love to try the 29 x 2.6 ,i bet its like a rocket ship

mashr

Is a coil on a G-160 not a bit…..erm……’interesting’ with its regressive leverage curve?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘2017 Whyte G-160. Any reason not to?’ is closed to new replies.