Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 2017 Nukeproof Mega owners – Shonky paint
  • zempy

Just wondering if anyone else has had piss poor paint on their Mega?

My Nukeproof mega 29 is 9 rides old and is suffering from loads of Stone chips around the bb and down tube. I’m not really a bike tart but it’s nice to have a new frame looking good for longer than 9 rides.

I’m pretty sure it’s a manufacturing issue, but the retailer and Hotlines are making out it’s acceptable and I should live with it.

It’s got crapper paint than the on one Codeine it replaced.

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

You went down some loose rock gardens and flicked loads of stones up to the frame?

If so what do you expect Nukeproof to do? Get a rockguardz they’re good.

Expect the “it’s a mtb it’ll get dirty and scratched” responses

zempy

I have had loads of frames, none of which have chipped like that after such few rides.

It’s just a bit crap on a 2000 pound bike. The fact the bike came with touch up paint should have given me a clue.

chakaping
    Free Member

I put so much clear tape on mine that most of it has not had the chance to chip off, but I’ve noticed a bit more rub that I’d have expected on the inside of the stays and similar awkward to reach places.

Personally I’m not too fussed as I didn’t pay too much for the frame and I have very mixed feelings about my lurid yellow-and-red colour scheme anyway.

What colour is yours? Put some pics up?

zempy

It’s the olive green and fluro yellow one.

Pics would be a bit useless as I’ve now painted them with the touch up paint.

I’m off to the lakes in a couple of weeks so will post them then. Not that anyone will be bothered. To be honest I’m not, it’s more the principle of it.

I just don’t think I should need to be touching up so much paint on a new bike.

I had a 2006 enduro with big dints from rocks and the paint stayed on.

The response from Hotlines and the retailer was very dismissive.

I have asked Hotlines for some more touch up paint, hopefully they will give me some. I suppose I’ll just need to pay some more money for that invisiframe stuff or some old fashioned helitape.

Why don’t they just put that on in the factory? It would be a lot easier.

I was thinking about getting a Nukeproof scout 29er, now I’m not.

johnski15
    Free Member

The 2016 Mega had loads and loads of warranty issues with paint!!

I heard that from a Nukeproof dealer in Stourbridge, West Midlands called Race Co Cycles as I was trying to get a 2016 Mega 275 in that lovely fluro-yellow/black. and he told me to avoid due to the paint issue and get a 2017 275 – which I did (blue/fluro yellow), and (touch wood) seems to be better!

I’d potentially phone up Race Co Cycles and ask them about the paint issues and get them to give you the Nukeproof contact name and have a chat with him!

doomanic

My 2016 Mega (bought in Oct 16) is in worse condition paint-wise than my 2011 Specialized Camber!

Shame really as it’s a cracking colour.

cyclelife
    Free Member

No problems with mine, bought frame only 2016 black with white (not keen on this colour scheme), been used heavily in rocky area, no more marks than any other bike I’ve had.

Fitted rockguard from new.

Big-Bud
    Free Member

i had the same issue with my 2016 version which eventually meant I got my money back but it was hard work . due to

paint cracking and flaking  like a boiled egg

pivot bearings grinding after 3 rides

wrong Loctite used at factory meaning pivot bolts needed drilling out

never again !!!!

only way I got action was to use facebook

chakaping
    Free Member

Blimey. Hopefully they’ve got over those issues now.

have read about poor bearing life but mine seems OK so far. Only issue I’ve had was one of the shock bushings going knocky after just a month or so.

legend
    Free Member

Doubt the pain issue has gone away, assuming they come out of the same place that Vitus do. I’ve worn through the paint on my CX bike in around 7 rides using nothing but mud between the chainring and chainstay

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘2017 Nukeproof Mega owners – Shonky paint’ is closed to new replies.