Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • 2017 Genesis Longitude – suspension
  • waspsnest
    Free Member

Hey folks. Having a first world problem here, hoping for some advice.

i have a genesis as per title, using it for a winter hack. I like it, it’s a good bike that does what it says on the tin and thus far i’m enjoying riding it. I got it cheap on eBay and basically swapped it for a Croix De Fer that was gathering dust in the house.

From what I can gather, the frame / fork is NOT suspension corrected, but some places that sell the 2017 frames say that they are. (??)

Can I fling a 100mm fork on this thing? If I did, will it ride like poop? Or if I don’t want my wrists smashed in should I start looking for a hardtail? Not really a problem at the moment, but it would be nice to be able to put a fork on it in the future should I so wish.

Thanks for any input.

supernova

I think the problem is with the straight head tube, rather than geometry. You’ll have to find 27+ / 29 forks that haven’t go a tapered steerer.

steezysix
    Free Member

I have a 2017, I doubt it would be any good with suspension, any fork you put on there will be linger than the stock one and will screw up the handling/angles. AFAIK, the 2016 version with the alloy fork was suspension corrected, so chances are the online shops have simply got the old, incorrect information on there?

survivor

The longitude is what it is…. Don’t change it…. Embrace the rigid and just run a bigger tyre with less pressure……

waspsnest
    Free Member

Yeah I hear ya’ll, not disagreeing either. Currently my go-to bike for everything XC locally.

was just curious as to the versatility of it, seen pictures of the Tarn and thought “what if”.

Steezy, what tyres you running? I still have the stock WTB Trailblazers in 2.8.

thanks for all responses.

steezysix
    Free Member

I’ve still got the stock tyres too which are fine, but will change to something in 3.0″ when they wear out. A<span style=”font-size: 12.8px;”>t the moment I’m actually using a 29er wheelset with spiked tyres for commuting in Oslo, it’s a great bike for doing everything on!</span>

nixie

I have a 16 which is adjusted for 100mm forks.

Currently running bridger 3.0 on the front and ranger 2.8 on the back. Never had a trailblazer on the front but did have one on the back. The ranger has better grip but isn’t quite as fast rolling on the back. It also comes up bigger.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Strip it, transfer the parts to a tarn frameset ( there are a few going cheapish at the moment ) and give the longitude frame to me.  Along with the Croix de Fer.  HTH.

It isn’t all about the N + 1,  it’s about another one.

nixie

Wheels aren’t suitable for a tarn. Tarn is 148×12 longitude is qr both ends.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Tarn is 148×12 longitude is qr both ends.

I thought longitude was qr at the back and TA at the front or something equally weird.  I won’t tell OP if you don’t, though.

nixie

Mine is 135qr rear and boost 15mm front. Think the newest ones are qr front though.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Out of curiosity, what year is yours?

I’ll have to check the new ones, it is the one thing that has put me of the longitude.  I’d like to be abke to mix and !atch wheels with my other bikes. Well that and the slightly odd Geo.  The high standover, and the relatively short reach compared to top tube length, im not sure how well I’d get on with it

waspsnest
    Free Member

The 2017 has shimano M525 hubs which I believe are non-boost. Both QR

steezysix
    Free Member

Yep, 2017 and newer are 100mm/135mm x QR. The Longitude angles may look odd on paper, but it fits and rides great. Standover is no issue, in fact it has the lowest standover of any of my bikes (not as low as a Tarn though). If you want a bikepacking/touring bike it is hard to beat, if you want a trail hardtail I would look at other options.

nixie

Mines a 16. My first set of wheels where alpkit ones which were not easy to share with my other bike. The set I’ve got now have dtswiss 350 hubs in normal width which means that they will fit my other bike. I have a MRP boost kit for the front so it fits the longitude without a redish. I’ve also a set of 700c wheels with the same front hub so can run those as well.

I really like my longitude. I bought it as a winter bike and bike packing machine. The lack of suspension was deliberate to reduce maintainance. On our local trails in winter with the plus tyres I don’t miss it. I also find it very comfortable to ride. Have done several 50+ mile days loaded without pain. The geo seems to just work for me. Yeah it’s no trail slayer but I’ve a rocket for riding that needs that.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Cheers guys that’s really helpful.  Sorry to OP for the hijack.

I like the long and low thing but also want to use it as a winter/commuter/ everything bike.  I am becoming more aware of my own mortality so don’t do the stuff I used to do in my non-sus, non compact Geo 90s mtb.  Occasionally I ride a trail, manual, bunnyhop, take small jumps for fun so really don’t need a full on trail bike.  The longitude seems to fit all of that, like the Kona Unit and Pine mountain and still enough in it to do the occasional stupid.

I’m torn between the s and m though.  M gives more reach and a really long TT with the laid back seatpost.  The standover numbers worry me though.  They don’t look anything like as tall as they say, the Geo is similar to other bikes with much lower quoted standover.  I suspect they must measure much closer to the Head tube than others do to get the numbers they do.

I think a Tarn should be really fun but the boost spacing puts me off.

waspsnest
    Free Member

No sweat Olly, cool seeing what others have to say.

i bought a longitude for the same reasons as above. Wanted a winter thumper with zero maintenance that I can blast with the pressure washer and not worry. Local trails (Herts) are relatively flat, and I tend to skid about, the odd jump here and there, and to be fair the bike suits me fine.

Like above, I find the geometry OK, stand over fine (i’m 6’2 and ride a large with a 32” leg) and don’t really miss the suspension, I have a tricked up Giant Trance for the big days out when I’m back home (Highlands) and at trail centres down here.

was toying with the idea of a fork as I think deep down I yearn for a hardtail, or, I’d love to take the longitude on more challenging terrain but unsure of its capability.

Tis’ a great bike though and couldn’t recommend one more. I just like mucking about with stuff I guess.

Have any of you tried 29” wheels on one?

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Is that a 32″ crotch to floor or 32″ trouser leg.  If that’s not too personal a question.

nixie

I’m also 6’2″ and on a large.

I have 700c/29” wheelset but have only used them with 38c slicks for a mainly road bivy. Was was all fine apart from the 180mm front rotor in thin tyres. That was my fault though not the bike.

steezysix
    Free Member

I would go for the bigger size. It’s true that it’s long and low, but it’s a bike you sit “in” rather than on which is great for riding longer distances. It’s also the kind of bike that works really well with a swept bar like a Jones (I have an OnOne OG bar on mine coz I’m poor) which will bring your hands backwards. Also a larger size means you’ll get no toe overlap – I have 29″x2.1″ tyres plus full mudguards on at the moment and there’s plenty of clearance.

waspsnest
    Free Member

OIly, 32” trouser leg mate.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘2017 Genesis Longitude – suspension’ is closed to new replies.