Viewing 40 posts - 1,121 through 1,160 (of 1,710 total)
  • 2016 Olympic Cycling (Spoilers likely!)
  • natrix
    Free Member

[Quote] whiney little snot bag from Cav [/Quote]

Yeh, typical Cav to mention all the nutritionists, analysts, skin suit designers and backroom boys that all worked hard for team GB and deserved to be on the podium…………….

theotherjonv

I don’t think anyone is singling him out, It’s just that it stood out way above any of the other incidents as it was so ridiculous.

As i said before – a mistake that looks ridiculous because of the outcome. To me it looked like he expected the Korean to come through so he could swing back onto his wheel or onto the wheel of the Australian rider coming through fast at the bottom. He didn’t, he followed him up (in the footage the Korean goes from the blue line to 2-3 feet above blue just as Cav makes the same move in the other direction. Cav’s ridden the Madison many times where there’s far more propensity for this to happen and you need a 6th sense of knowing what others are going to do, I suspect it’s partly the Korean’s ‘unpredictable’ move that has contributed (victim blaming, I know)

So yes, cav’s fault* but you have to assume a/ he didn’t expect the Korean to do it, and then b/ didn’t see him doing it to enable him to swing back up again in time. Careless / clumsy, but those saying it was deliberate are miles off.

* is it – is there a give way protocol where riders swinging down give way to riders swinging up

thecaptain
    Free Member

Chapeau cav. Must have been a hugely stressful time, the last few weeks culminating in a tight race and then a great interview straight off the track. Of course he has mixed emotions, he didn’t set out to come second. Especially after twice being stuffed by team tactics in past games (which most track cyclists are pretty much exempt from) it’s great to see him get a well-earned reward at last.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Yeh, typical Cav to mention all the nutritionists, analysts, skin suit designers and backroom boys that all worked hard for team GB and deserved to be on the podium…………….

+1

He may not be the brightest cookie in the pack but he is honest and genuine and doesn’t give you the normal spew of cliched interviews that litter modern day sport.

theotherjonv

As for Cav being a whiney whingebag. Yes he is a massively self-centred individual, that’s why he’s the best road rider in terms of grand tour stage wins of his and many generations. He could have ridden in the TP and got gold there, whether it’s true that others ‘blocked’ him from it i don’t know. There’s a few alpha males in the set up and clashes will occur.

Likewise Wiggins, another that there’s much to admire but plenty to dislike about.

What do we want – winners, or nice children with an ‘after you’ mentality. Like Louis Smith, if you’ve trained hours a day every day for four years and then don’t get the gold you believe you were capable of – i’m OK with people being pissed off about that. i think their flaws make them more human.

(otoh – I recently read that wiggins didn’t pay froome his share of the TdF winnings, after he witheld the money over loyalty issues in 2012, and it wasn’t until sir dave intervened that it was sorted. That’s a step too far)

chakaping
    Free Member

He may not be the brightest cookie in the pack

He always strikes me as being a remarkably bright individual and a strong original thinker.

I can see him making just as big a success of his post-racing career, especially if he goes into DSing (please don’t mention the Commonwealth Games, that was Kennaugh’s fault).

Kryton57

I concede to the fair points above. Yes I’d rather have the personality’s and I’ve got to say I really felt Louis Smiths pain.

whitestone
    Free Member

Yeh, typical Cav to mention all the nutritionists, analysts, skin suit designers and backroom boys that all worked hard for team GB and deserved to be on the podium

+1

Win or lose Cav always mentions the team

chakaping
    Free Member

he won’t ride the next Olympics becuase he can’t be – his words – “arsed” to listen to the media baying for acceptance of Gold only.

Don’t know if I saw the interview you are referring to, but it sounds like he’s making a valid point.

Though I suspect he puts FAR more pressure on himself to get gold than anyone external does.

thegreatape
    Free Member

RE the crash, it’s not his fault, the Korean guy was halfway on his wheel to the right – normally you stay on the wheel. Cav was in the front and changed direction so it’s all normal. It’s a normal crash on the track.

(said the winner)

tjagain

Cav ( like wiggins) has a personality. Cav wears his heart on his sleeve and says what he thinks.

I’d far rather that than the bland anodyne lack of personalities many sportmen have. The vast majority of top sportspeople have flaws / huge egos. Ones that are nice rarely do well. Hoy being a notable exception

copa
    Free Member

What do we want – winners, or nice children with an ‘after you’ mentality.

I know which I would prefer.

It’s great to see such a patriotic demonstration of the Team GB ethos: “It’s the winning, not the taking part”.

If that means hospitalising some foreigner, hey ho. Rule Brittania.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Nobeer yes as above all the bbc video you can’t see outside the uk, well not least without some tech and even then not on mobile devices.

I do feel for him not making the pursuit team as a 5th member to ride one round, yes it would have been a little bit of a gift but he’s earnt it imho and wouod have got the job done. He made a point of saving he was dissapointed not to get the pursuir OR in that round

Cav speaks his mind, he doesn’t care much for PC – he mentioned how he was dissapointed Shane couldn’t be there as he onviously feels a lot of his and the teams progress has been down to him. Not PC given his departure that but honest. Ditto he said how despite being a pro for 10 years he’d learnt stuff (nurition ?) in this build up.

Finally BTW Cav can do 90 days in the UK and not change his tax status.

ferrals
    Free Member

Caught up with Trott’s elimination race this morning, a masterful display of riding.

Though Cav’s interview was pretty balanced. Don’t know enough about the nuances of track to comment on the crash, but he sat up, apologised, not sure what else you can do (apart from not crash)?

theotherjonv

Maybe we should push for the return of non-competitive sport, where everyone gets a medal for trying and being unmotivated and lazy needn’t be a bar to success. Then we wouldn’t need to be all fierce and determined and can wander through sport because results don’t count as long as we all have a nice time and get to wear nice uniforms.

FFS – it was a racing incident, not a deliberate takedown.

Haven’t seen any coverage of the dirty bastard that tripped Mo Farah over trying to stop him getting his gold. I think that was a foreigner too. There’s a theme here, we need a foreigner free olympics so all our nice British people can win all the prizes.

aracer
    Free Member

It does feel a bit like victim blaming, for which I apologise because I’m not, but I suspect Cav has ridden a lot more laps in that sort of situation than the Korean rider and doubtless his own riding did contribute. Nobody is suggesting Cav wasn’t at fault, simply that it wasn’t a move which was irresponsible enough to actually penalise him.

Who was also brought down, and could have lost the gold medal as a result – that surely closes the subject, for all except the Cav haters like copa.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of Cav but it looked intentional to me. Cav looked twice to his left then swerved down across the Korean guy. What did he expect to happen? You can call it a ‘racing incident’ but the only way this wasn’t intentional was if he just didn’t see the Korean, and I simply don’t believe that.

see 25 seconds in on this https://cdn.streamable.com/video/mp4/hyo2.mp4

aracer
    Free Member

Occam’s razor (or maybe Hanlon’s?) As has been said multiple times, exactly what did Cav have to gain from taking the Korean rider down, and in the process risking coming down himself? If you check the footage carefully you’ll see that whilst he did look back and undoubtedly knew the Korean rider was in that general vicinity, he wasn’t looking back when he moved and since he last looked the Korean rider had effectively changed trajectory – doubtless Cav wasn’t expecting him to go up the track like that, because he was expecting him to anticipate Cav moving back down the track – Cav’s trajectory was a perfectly normal one in that situation (and he was mostly looking back to check on his rivals, not another rider he didn’t care about).

jwray

This is the quote from the winner, who had the most to loose from the crash.

“It’s not his fault. The Korean guy was halfway on his wheel to the right, whereas normally you stay on the wheel. Cav was in front and changed direction. For sure it was a bad moment in the race but it’s a normal crash on the track.”

I know nothing about track cycling rules and etiquette so I’ll take his word as the truth.

(‘Korean guy’ though – he didn’t know his name?)

martinhutch

I can certainly see Cav’s mental processes there:

“Ah, there’s that irrelevant Korean guy. Why don’t I risk ending my race and medal hopes by taking him out?”

Viviani is a class act. Loved the emotion at the end.

aracer
    Free Member

I suspect none of them did (in the same way Usain Bolt won’t know the name of every 100m runner at the Olympics). We’re no better here though, and I’m just as guilty as the rest of you. For the record his name is Sanghoon Park, though I can’t find any updates on his condition.

Apparently the very credible Michael Rasmussen thinks it was worse than doping though 😆

crazy-legs

‘Korean guy’ though – he didn’t know his name?

Why would he? All the roadies know each other, all the people racing will know who they need to mark, the riders just in front and just behind them on the leaderboard and they’ll all know who’s leading but in that situation you don’t need to know names.

Cav looked “through” the Korean – he didn’t need to SEE him, he knew he was there but he was looking for Hansen and Viviani. Certainly wasn’t deliberate as I said before, no-one (least of all someone with Cav’s track racing pedifgree) would ever try and take someone down deliberately as most of the time you’d all end up in a pile of bodies at the bottom of the track. Cav was lucky to stay upright.

I still think Viviani’s race was a real highlight there, he deserves the congratulations for that and instead all anyoen is talking about is the silver medallist and a crash.

Laura Trott’s elimination race, while a rather predictable result, was also great fun to watch.

theotherjonv

Intentional, rubbish.

Having watched that version of it again, I’m even more convinced it’s partly the korean rider’s doing (don’t want to say fault)

If you pause and still scroll through at 24s you can see Cav looking left to I think Viviani and the Aussie coming through under the Korean. He’s not looking at the Korean. If you scroll enough you can get the Korean in shot and he’s also looking left at the same scene.

Scroll on, and as cav swings down to get onto the IT/Aus pair, the Korean swings up and into cav’s rear wheel without looking to his right. He makes no attempt to alter his line, likewise cav although at this point and in those helmets i suspect the Korean’s in his blindspot anyway. So cav swings into the korean’s altered path and the korean makes no move to adjust it in response.

Then you can get the same in a wider shot at 35s and see that at the point Cav instigates his move he has 3/4 of a length lead over the Korean, so not clear water but a substantial lead, and there’s maybe 4-5 feet of lateral separation. By the time they collide they’ve both contributed to that 5 feet becoming zero.

Racing incident, nothing to see.

copa
    Free Member

Who was also brought down, and could have lost the gold medal as a result – that surely closes the subject, for all except the Cav haters like copa.

I’m not too bothered about Cavendish. He just seems an unpleasant person who’s willing to do whatever it takes to win his gold biscuit.

Here he is with a similar incident and reaction:

[video]https://youtu.be/fjLFNfIrti8[/video]

What I do hate, however, is the way that an incident such as this is brushed aside amidst the patriotic fervour and jingoistic coverage of the BBC.

whitestone
    Free Member

@copa – Which bit of “Cav caused it but it wasn’t deliberate” don’t you understand? Everyone from the commissaires to the BBC to Viviani to others on this forum have looked at it and seen it for what it is – an accident which is what happens in sport from time to time.

My initial reaction on seeing Viviani lying on the deck was “oh no, not the right way to lose your gold medal position”

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I don’t ‘want’ it to be intentional, trust me, but that’s how it looked to me.

And it’s not about taking the Korean out. That’s missing the point. There is the small point of Gaviria about to get 20 points by gaining a lap – which he didn’t get as a result of the neutralisation…

I’m happy for the result to stand but if Viviani had been injured then this story would have a very different perspective.

jwray

Why would he?

Guess I just assumed the track cycling world at that level was small enough they’d all know each other personally.

theotherjonv

Yes, it looks worse than it is but on close analysis you can easily spin it as Park riding up the banking into a rider ahead of him without looking and without making any effort to adjust his path to avoid a collision.

Your second point, are you suggesting that it was deliberate to get the race neutralised so gaviria couldn’t get a lap? Because it wasn’t neutralised until several laps later when the stretcher came out. And then the effect was to allow some folks who were struggling to catch a breath before the restart. It’s called racing and dealing with the uncontrollables is part of it.

theotherjonv

http://road.cc/content/news/201080-colombian-federation-reportedly-set-challenge-cavendish-medal-video

Who knows, maybe the armchair experts will see how the real experts viewed it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Defending champion, Lasse Norman Hansen, would also stand to gain were Cavendish penalised, but speaking after the race he seemed to consider the incident part and parcel of the racing, venturing only the blunt assessment, “shit happens,” when asked for his view.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Viviani is a class act. Loved the emotion at the end.

This. Given these guys are as hard as nails its moving to see his reaction. So much work over so many years. These chances come so rarely, if ever for so many riders.

As for the rest here;

Do.Not.Feed.The.Troll.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXMj6yNqDCo[/video]

Rockape63
    Free Member

How come when someone crashes out, as Viviani did, they are able to rejoin the race without having to catch up? Does this rule leave the race open for abuse?

(or have I missed something)

PS I was shocked Cav didn’t get dq’d, but hey I don’t know the rools either!

AlexSimon

TurnerGuy – fits of laughter!?

slowoldman

I’m surprised there aren’t more comings together. Viviani almost caused another.

There’s a theme here, we need a foreigner free olympics so all our nice British people can win all the prizes.

Well once we are finally free of the shackles of the EU we can have our very own “World Series”. Just for us.

crazy-legs

How come when someone crashes out, as Viviani did, they are able to rejoin the race without having to catch up? Does this rule leave the race open for abuse?

(or have I missed something)

You have missed something. My comment on page 30 for starters and the UCI rule about having up to 5 laps out for a crash, puncture or breakage of bike.

Rockape63
    Free Member

You have missed something. My comment on page 30 for starters and the UCI rule about having up to 5 laps out for a crash, puncture or breakage of bike.

Ah, okay….ta! 🙂

brakes
    Free Member

I think the medal table was reflective of the performances of the riders over the two days. Even without Cav messing up the Elimination.

Viviani’s emotion at the end was nice to see but it went on a bit too long, carrying on blubbing for a long while in track centre.

somafunk

I thought it a really nice touch when the BBC commentary switched to a close up of Victoria Pendleton and Anna Mears having an emotional touchy-feely moment trackside, two of the fiercest competitors caught in a moment of career reflection.

aracer
    Free Member

Even Cav acknowledged that Viviani was probably the stronger rider (though for all those suggesting he’s arrogant, he’s quite good at stuff like that). Lasse Norman Hansen who really stuffed up in the elimination and he seemed genuinely happy with bronze – everybody says that the omnium can be a bit of a lottery (unless you’re as strong as Trott – please let that not be a jinx!) Much as I’d have liked Cav to get a gold to get the demons off his back (of course a gold medal would have got him different treatment), the result was right.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,121 through 1,160 (of 1,710 total)

The topic ‘2016 Olympic Cycling (Spoilers likely!)’ is closed to new replies.