Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 525 total)
  • 2015/2016 winter 'cross racing thread
  • davidjey
    Free Member

Raced Welsh League on Sunday, scraped another top ten overall. You can read my ramblings about it here

will
    Free Member

Well done MC & Tired, great results.

I raced in the seniors, was gridden on the front and 2nd called up, didn’t have the best start, but settled into it and had a good few battles for two laps when I was 4th, only to seriously struggle with clogging up and only having one bike, I stopped maybe 3/4 times, that cost me two places. Then on the final lap I snapped my derailleur, ran for half a lap, picked up a teammates bike and finished 10th. Worst result of the season also, but still, not too bad I guess.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

david jey – Member
    Raced Welsh League on Sunday, scraped another top ten overall. You can read my ramblings about it here
    POSTED 6 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

I hope my urges for you to dig in helped there? I heard you mutter some feedback which I took was positive 😉

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Ha ha Will funny is it! At start of season I’d have been over the moon with 6th! Onto 28th Dec . . Wonder what turn out will be like!

will
    Free Member

Reckon 28th will be a good turnout. That said, I can’t make it… Shame it’snot on this weekend, and there is no way i’m driving to Norwich for the Eastern League.

IdleJon

Regarding ultra-muddy courses….

Only to be expected after this much rain but I’ve read a few comments (on the Welsh FB page) saying that it’s part of CX and if the pros do it in Belgium then we should expect to do it.

What do people think about the current crop of courses which seem to be muddy, grassy fields with no places for mud to clear? Is this what people want from a course – a war of attrition against the course – or more mixed terrain where you can concentrate on actual racing, not surviving?

(Thankfully it’s sandy, well drained Pembrey this week. 😀 )

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

That Pembrey courtrooms ace, hard pack.sand some steps shame I decided not to come home! I am all for mud and muddy courses but not these horrible field blogs where grass churns up and locks into your rear mech! I spend most of the time stressing I’m going to rip the rear mech off! For me courses are about technical aspects, hard, fun! Shame we don’t have more sand pits 😉

Garry_Lager

Only to be expected after this much rain but I’ve read a few comments (on the Welsh FB page) saying that it’s part of CX and if the pros do it in Belgium then we should expect to do it.

What do people think about the current crop of courses which seem to be muddy, grassy fields with no places for mud to clear? Is this what people want from a course – a war of attrition against the course – or more mixed terrain where you can concentrate on actual racing, not surviving?It’s part of CX, but then the pros change bikes every lap when the mud is up.

If you need a second bike to finish the race then I can’t really be arsed with that at this point in time. Seems excessive if you’re middle of the pack. Maybe it’s a normal expectation if you’re good, but I’ll cross that bridge if and when I come to it.
    Don’t actually have a second CX bike in any case, although I could always pitch up with the anthem I suppose. Do people do that, bring an emergency MTB? Think I’d be stressed about someone riding off with it from the pits.

IdleJon

. Do people do that, bring an emergency MTB? Think I’d be stressed about someone riding off with it from the pits.

Yes, people do that. I used to many years ago until I bent the rear mech hanger on my Paul Milnes steel frame, jumped on my MTB and bent the hanger on that as well. Two frames wrecked in one race. Far too expensive to risk doing it again.

john_l
    Free Member

Plenty of people using mtbs as 2nd bikes in the London League. I keep meaning to rebuild my old Kite, but the new disc proto has been good so far (although I did lose the chain in the last 200m on Sunday & had to sprint!)

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Yarp plenty having 2 bikes in Central league. I am one, although last weekend I had a spare pit bike (which isn’t great) but no pit crew to clean so didn’t swap, as I didn’t want to ride my old heavy canti bike v expensive carbon Focus! Pits are genera safe as in the middle of the course and usually lots of people around.

Racing the Nationals and hoping to borrow a better pit bike off a mate.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Yarp plenty having 2 bikes in Central league. I am one, although last weekend I had a spare pit bike (which isn’t great) but no pit crew to clean so didn’t swap, as I didn’t want to ride my old heavy canti bike v expensive carbon Focus! Pits are genera safe as in the middle of the course and usually lots of people around.

Racing the Nationals and hoping to borrow a better pit bike off a mate.

ferrals
    Free Member

Jon – I see the Welsh league is out of 7 still, not 6 as suggested 🙁 will have to make Pembrey count! Though slightly concerned it will be cancelled again as I saw 50mph winds forecast. Fingers crossed it doesn’t get any worse

I enjoyed the two muddy races I did – Carmarthen and m.m. – though the pics of last week looked a bit o.t.t. A mate said they ran half the race. At least at Carmarthenshire was a bit of concrete to clear the tyres.

Gutted I missed Newtown and gilwern, they looked really good fun nice to mix in the singletrack

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Caerphilly I think is always like that! I did it last year and a lot of it was running but that’s the joy of CX racing. Just look at some of the Belgian races Kokslidje or Spa last week, long sections of running with the bike!

Do you on my have 7 rounds in Welsh league? Central has 14 and 9 count. I have managed to race 10 or will do by end of season.

ferrals
    Free Member

Yeah there have been 11 rounds (originally 12 till Pembrey got cancelled a few weeks ago) and you need to do 7. I’ve done 6 so far, missed 2 from having other things on, 1 from laziness in not wanting to drive to Newtown, 1 from injury. At least with Pembrey I’ll have raced enough to get a plAcing which was my original aim for the season having not raced cx before. Thing is having not raced since first Nov I’m woefully unfit so will do dismally at Pembrey.

IdleJon

Jon – I see the Welsh league is out of 7 still, not 6 as suggested will have to make Pembrey count!

Michael Tarling mentioned it in the FB thread about Pembrey v1 being cancelled but nobody confirmed it. (I don’t pay much attention to the actual website because nobody ever updates it.)

ferrals
    Free Member

Yeah, I saw that, but looking at the overall standings after Caerphilly it is still best of 7.

IdleJon

Thats me stuffed then.

ferrals
    Free Member

Punctured shortly after first lap at Pembrey, no spare wheels, tube etc. Gutted, rubbish way to end my first season, enjoying the course too though I wasn’t going well anyway. At least I have love-crossed entered to get excited for, then the six nations and then it’s xc season 🙂

Already thinking of strategies for next year. Was a pinch flat, been running standard tubes at 25psi all season so I guess I was asking for it! Didn’t feel like I clunked anything though. So, run higher pressures and sacrifice performance? No chance! Seems either a spare set of wheels or going tubeless.

People with disks – do you bother with a spare wheelset? Avid Mechanical discs and qr’s need fettking every time you takes wheels off. Half think it would be quick to actually carry a spare tube.

Anyone running cx wheels tubeless? I see there is a stans cx rim. Do they go well? As easy as mtb to run tubeless?

davidjey
    Free Member

A few of my team mates have run tubeless all season, but they tend to run more than 25 psi.

Keep your eye out for some cheap second hand wheels with tubs…?

davidjey
    Free Member

Courses like yesterday are always going to be a compromise with tyre pressure…what’s best for 35kph down a (thankfully pretty smooth) fireroad isn’t going to be best for riding down a sand dune….I got a rear flat too (from a safety pin!) but managed to ride it back to the pits to pick the spare bike up – the bike actually handled pretty well in the sand with zero psi in the rear tyre 😆

I nearly always spend some time in practice tweaking tyre pressure – start a bit too high and let them down as low as you dare basically.

2tyred

Anyone running cx wheels tubeless? I see there is a stans cx rim. Do they go well? As easy as mtb to run tubeless?

Clement PDX on Crests. Went on easy, feel great and stupidly light. Intention was to have them as pit wheels, but they give better grip than my current tubs over the past few courses that I’ve just used them. Use them at 35psi, could go a good bit lower.

Flatted one last weekend, think it was whacking a hidden rock, no sealant in it when I took it off, might have been why.

ferrals
    Free Member

Cheers, I’m using pdx at the minute too, so tubeless might be the way to go. Won’t worry till next summer so will start keeping an eye on second hand wheels in a few months.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

@ferrals I remembered to take my pressure gauge yesterday so was able to set the pressures to what I wanted rather than by thumb feel. 20psi front and 24psi rear, but I’m 84kg kitted up. That was on file treads and it was clanking the rim in a few places but ok otherwise. I’ve raced courses where it was better to run a higher pressure purely to avoid punctures and it’s paid off. I’ve a set of mud tubs that have been used all year apart from the couple of races where the spare wheels with file tread tubs have been used. I raced Gorseinon on a file tread rear after shedding a mud tub in practice. Better than not racing at all.
    I can see the benefit of having a spare bike; I had the singlespeed MTB at Caerphilly purely to try and avoid tearing a rear derailleur off from mud and grass. It wouldn’t have been any good at Pembrey, gearing would’ve been well off. Spare bike doesn’t have to be another CX bike.

ferrals
    Free Member

I’ve thought in the past about using my mtb as a spare bike, but my cx bike is just a bike, I love my mtb, and don’t trust wrecking it!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Oh you poor Welsh league souls it is all over! I still have another 4 rounds here (Although I can only do 3) keeps going until 23rd Jan!

Come up and do Milton Keynes on 16th?? Central league followed by National Trophy on the Sunday?

OR 24th Jan Abingdon at Dalton Barracks, depending on where in Wales you live!

28th is next one for me! At the moment I’m on clinchers but crashtestmonkey is building me up some tubeless for Christmas pressie I believe! I ask him about tyre pressure and he sorts it for me 😉

IdleJon

Just entered Lovecrossed, although had second thoughts when I realised it would be £19 for 40 minutes of racing… (Grumpy old man moment – cross used to be cheap!) Why am I seen as too old to have a whole 50 minutes like the whippersnappers? 🙄

Another grumpy old man moment for BC – find the event on their website, click ‘Enter’, click ‘Log In’, takes you back to a main menu to start the process again. Why am I paying a £1 admin fee for this crap?

Anyway, thoroughly enjoyed Pembrey. It was nice to get away from the grassy field cross races although some of the front-runners were complaining about how hard it was to overtake through the dunes because of the narrowness of the course.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

LOL @ Idle John . .crashtestmonkey had the same gripe! What annoyed me waste I entered remaining 3 central leagues, National champs and love crossed it charged me £1 admin fee PER event. I mean WTF!!!!! Hey it’ll be a blast either getting to watch World Champs with some like minded people afterwards!!

IdleJon

Hey it’ll be a blast either getting to watch World Champs with some like minded people afterwards!!

What I was thinking!

ferrals
    Free Member

Yeah love crossed should be great!

I enjoyed the practise and the lap I did before flatting at Pembrey. Re. the dune section, it was actually all double track so if you were feeling aggressive or if it was someone slow in front I don’t think overtaking should have been an issue. I found the start more of an issue, being relatively narrow and straight for so long but that was as much me not being in a competitive frame of mind and being slightly phased by the bunch.

There is the potential for some amazing courses at Pembrey, if you started at cafe field you could have a bit of open grass field stuff, some sandy single track, some mud, and a sand run up from hell all in one course

davidjey
    Free Member

some of the front-runners were complaining about how hard it was to overtake through the dunes because of the narrowness of the course.

Not so much narrowness all the way round, but a couple of critical bottlenecks with big differences in speed between frontrunners (not sure that term applied to me this week) – that little rise in the woods at the very far end of the course, and the turn at the ‘sea view’ at the top of the dune descent spring to mind. This made for a lot of quite, ahem, assertive calling for passes from a long way back, and basically expecting folk who were walking up sections to come to a complete stop and step off the course to allow faster riders through. This doesn’t seem fair on back markers really, they have their own race going on.

Not really a problem with the course per se, but a problem with having 170 riders on a course that the leaders were covering in just over 5 minutes. I’ve been coming down all year on the side of ‘passing in traffic is skill you need to learn’ and keeping one big race in the Welsh League, but I think Pembrey may have me leaning towards splitting categories into different races/staggered starts. Rumour is that some changes are affoot for next season. Time will tell.

IdleJon

meone slow in front I don’t think overtaking should have been an issue

The problem was that there were sections where slower riders would stall unexpectedly or switch sides, often completely unintentionally.

I got stuck behind plenty of people and I’m slow – it must have been frustrating for the faster guys. However they don’t always help themselves – I stalled one V40 unintentionally when he came up fast behind me. (A bit of swearing, with me shouting that if he had told me he was there I would have stayed on one side. All four riders behind him politely told me they were passing! 🙂 V40 and I apologised at the finish.) And having someone shout ‘rider’ or ‘rider up’ is no use at all. Basically it’s impossible to keep looking over your shoulder for the whole race. But other than splitting races, or pulling riders out when they are lapped, that’s what we’ve got and everyone needs to deal with it.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Oh look the age old debate that Welsh CX league has got so big for it’s own good! I think they will split some of it up next year and Liz Slater as already alluded to that in a recent post.

It’s a really difficult one to balance! For years I’ve raced and MTB as as a back marker you don’t want to get in the way of the faster people but you are having your own race too. People need to shout loudly, clearly and give you notice! “Rider passing on your right”. as the faster rider it is YOUR responsibility to find a SAFE line through. I have had many an aggressive, abusive male rider over taking me which has resulted in swearing and shouting!

I am now in Central league where women get their own start and I’m at the front end of the field and over taking the back markers of the V50 men! Now I’m the one going for the over takes. However I remember being those back markers, be clear and assertive! I have shouted assertively at riders (not aggressively) and made it obvious where I am going. Only once or twice have their been a few minor issues, them taking a poor line choice as I went past or me thinking there was more space than there was! invariably we’ve apologised to each other and sorted it out.

That’s what I found frustrating about Brecon. I was getting shouted at aggressively by males .. but actually I was at that place racing for a podium position! I have no doubt in that situation I was fighting for a higher placing than them but hey some people don’t think like that!

Also most stretches of course are 3m wide and shouldn’t be a problem!

IdleJon

as the faster rider it is YOUR responsibility to find a SAFE line through.

According to the rules it is the slower, lapped rider who must give way. Not something I knew before last season! And not a rule that most adhere to, preferring to pass responsibly when there is space.

Thinking a little more about that, maybe I should only give way when being lapped by someone in my own V40 race, so the Seniors can wait! 😆

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Well in the rules yes it does state that 11.8 “When being lapped, it is the responsibility of the lapped rider to surrender the racing line”.

However for me it is mainly if they shout and make you aware! As mentioned above I’m not looking over my shoulder all the time to see where the faster riders are.

good luck identifying who is V40 v Seniors over your shoulder!

benji
    Free Member

Well Christmas is here, which means tomorrow is boxing day and the cross at Kenilworth, anyone else riding?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Central Cx is 28th but a list of rules so not sure council will allow it back there 😉

ferrals
    Free Member

Nothing serious, but got a Christmas themed fancy dress cx race on the 28th at Melin Mynach, reckon it will be a mud fest, especially wearing a Santa costume

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Yeah,
    Fun at Kenilworth today!
    A couple of crashes put me on the backfoot!
    Lived to survive another day with bike and body intact!
    Had a bit of fun nether the less!
    Thanks,
    Max

benji
    Free Member

It was tricky out there today at Kenilworth, was pleased when the bell rang, it had been plenty hilly enough on a singlespeed. Managed to not drop it, but had a few close encounters with bushes.

Viewing 40 posts - 401 through 440 (of 525 total)

The topic ‘2015/2016 winter 'cross racing thread’ is closed to new replies.