Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • 2015 Mince Pie Tear-Down…
  • takisawa2

Just concluded our 2015 Mice Pie Tear-Down.
    Brief was to pick up the best “own-brand” that each store had to offer.

Asda. Crap.

Morrisons. Not much better.

Tesco. Overrated.

Sainsburys. Much better. Especially the pastry & filling.

Aldi. Very nice. Nice pastry & well filled.

Lidl. The Cognac ones. Filling scoring very highly.

M & S. A close call. Led most of the way. Highly recommended.

But the winner…

Heston’s from Waitrose.
    But at £3.50 for 6 so they should.
    They were something else though.
    Questions were asked of the sachet of “Tangerine Sugar”…
    (Powdery consistency & possible Columbian origin).

Houns

Pffh..

Waitrose have ruined this Christmas and last by not doing the pine tree sugar puff pastry mince pies.
    I like sainsburys casis mince tarts

Drac

I had the Waitrose ones last year. They were Ok but not fantastic certainly overrated just because they had his name on them.

The Adli fancy range has been over favourite this year.

jimmy

Only had Sainsbo’s All Butter numbers this year. Can’t say I was impressed.

I haven’t eaten enough mince pies this year, I know this much.

stumpy01

Good Work! We’ve had Tesco ‘normal’ and ‘Finest’, as well as Sainsbury’s posh ones so far.

The Tesco ‘normal’ ones are a bit too small (ahem, so we tend to have 2 at a time).

No mention of extra thick brandy cream? It’s become our default mince pie accessory and improves them no end.

lemonysam
    Free Member

I broadly agree with you analysis however at sainsburys you also have the option of the vastly superior Ecclefechan tarts.

benp1

I made 48 mini ones yesterday, will make more tomorrow (I probably ate 15!)

Homemade shortcrust pastry with a dollop of the Aldi brandy mincemeat, which is lovely

They were ace. Reckon my extended families are going to be fairly happy with these!

monde
    Free Member

Have been devouring the Costco mince pie offerings over the weekend which have a decidedly homemade taste to them. Bloomin massive though and could do with a bit more filling.
    Impressed with the Aldi one I had the other day.

Stoner
    Free Member

I trust this was a double blind tasting?

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ll agree with your view on Hestons @ Waitrose, thing is… After 3 boxes scoffed, they become very very sickly..

😳

scaredypants

I like the Sainsbo’s organic ones that you shove in the oven for 10 min

– and clotted cream, that you don’t have to heat up at all 8)

soobalias
    Free Member

homemade mincemeat, pastry cut with my lock knife, slow baked in the bread oven by the stove.

Drac

I hope you made the suet from beef rib fat.

soobalias
    Free Member

i did, finally got round to having it out with the dairy bull after he looked at me funny.
    waist not want not.

scaredypants

waist not want not.

waist, whether or not you want it ?
    Good description of mince pie season IMO

somafunk

You buy your mince pies from a shop?……I expect you also buy xmas shortbread as well……….how common 😉

Obviously i make my own from hand reared brandy soaked mincemeat and toasted almond mix with ethically sourced filo pastry, and my vanilla pod shortbread goes extremely well with a decent malt whisky.

#Immorexmasythanyoucommoners

Jamie Oliver recipe

thecaptain
    Free Member

After finding a good recipe I can’t really face the shop-bought ones. Not a patch on my own (numerous friends and acquaintances agree)

andytherocketeer

home made ftw.
    shop bought ones are too “pastry-y”.
    odd that the cheap german stores score so highly on a product that germans don’t even do.

postierich
    Free Member

Wilfs cafe own made mince pies, they give me one every day I deliver the mail!!!Yummmmmmmmie

igm

No test of Co-Op?

Fail – do it again

jimmy

Jamie Oliver recipe

Get tae f..

Suggsey
    Free Member

My favourite so far have been the Aldi ones with the Courvousier in the mincemeat…..followed by their little frangipan topped ones in the blue and gold box

Drac

What the hell is that somafunk?

somafunk

It’s “my lightly modified version” of the jamie oliver recipe above, was good enough to impress the SWRI ladies who scoffed them all at their xmas party last week which was held at my workplace, i even got a round of applause and told to never enter them in their xmas bake off as it would cause a ruction if a man won – high praise indeed!. 😀

takisawa2

Obviously, feel free to courier your hand reared high alpine meadow flower & lesser spotted Dodo claw creations for inclusion.

smurfly13
    Free Member

We’ve been having a blind taste off at work.

Homemade is winning hands down, but a few others to steer clear of, Greggs – awful! and Mr Kipling, surprisingly bad!!

rOcKeTdOg

All mass produced rubbish, I’ve done extensive testing this year (25 different pies) & the home made pies in lizzies cafe in the NWAlps are the best for buttery pastry & excellent amount of filling with just the right level of alcohol

RustySpanner

True about the Kipling – too short pastry and what little filling their was tasted vile.

Tesco are surprisingly good this year, on the third packet so far.
    Standard ones in the red and white box.

Aldi and Sainsbury tomorrow then, with a stop off at the Co-Op?
    Oh God, there’s a Booths down the road as well
    🙂

Mrs S is making a few dozen on Christmas Eve – it’s a cliché, but the homemade ones are always the best.

AndyRT
    Free Member

Anyone tried putting Scots pine in a jar with some sugar? Been meaning to, but not been near a scots pine in a short while (sigh)

pk13

I’ve just picked up some of the Aldi mince with added brandy might make them tonight and taste them hot

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I trust this was a double blind tasting?

Nicely done.

mefty
    Free Member

somfunk – Is that deep fried? I can see why that might be popular in Scotland.

somafunk

Pah!….that’s a cheap shot and I claim the STW forum right to be deeply offended at the racial stereotyping of an entire nation…..you’ll be hearing from my lawyers once I garner enough support from my online social media campaign against your defamatory slur.

However……………deep frying a suitable batter that could encase a superheated mass of sugary alcohol soaked vine fruits does sound like a possible winner to me so I’ll let you off the hook this time 😀

MrSmith
    Free Member

St John bakery. Their Eccles cakes are historic too. They are the only mince pies I like. They are £3 each though

FuzzyWuzzy

Of the ones I’ve tried I’d rank them:
    Tesco
    Sainsburys
    Waitrose
    Aldi
    Lidl

(all the ‘special’ range versions). I didn’t think the Aldi ones were very good…

Travis

if you’re going to boast about making your own, at least share the recipe.

D0NK

Mrs made some “mince pies” a couple weeks ago, she used mixed fruit that had been simmered in cider for filling and a pastry that was very shortbready (I’ve no idea if that is shortcrust or not, i dont bake) best pies I’ve ever tasted.

votchy
    Free Member
    welshfarmer

Aldi finest. Tried them once. 1 pie had no pastry in the base. Big fail

No-one has mentioned the best yet which are the cheap ones from Iceland. Can’t beat ’em.

Drac

No base no buttery biscuit base?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘2015 Mince Pie Tear-Down…’ is closed to new replies.