Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 160 total)
  • 2015 Croix de Fer 1st ride (at last…)
  • velosam
    Free Member

I find the genesis sizing quite weird and generally run small. So I would consider getting a size up, depending on how high you wanted the bars

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Jimmers, sorry, but I sold the road bike to buy this so I can’t compare. This is shorter though, no doubt about it.

Sam, I thought exactly the opposite to be fair. The frame isn’t as compact and has less stand over size for size than most compact road frames. It’s got a more horizontal to tube. On top of that it’s designed for a different type of riding. The 54 CDA which has identical geometry felt quite long to me, pretty similar to my Madone in fact. I wanted shorter and more upright.
    I’ve got the luxury of working in a bike shop, so I can easily compare lots of different bikes as they come in and decide what’s the best fit. I’m very happy I chose a size smaller than is technically correc for me. 🙂

daleftw
    Free Member

@TurnerGuy Which Croix de Fer have you fitted Nanos to? I want them on mine, but doubt they’d fit.

jimmers
    Free Member

No problem Pete. I’ve got a Tricross SS that has 53cm top tube (same as 50cm CDA) but is a 52cm frame size hence the question.

Anyway it’s a cracking bike. Already been bike packing and kept up with MTBers on it. Got a cross race on Sunday. Definitely “big grin” riding kind of bike!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

@TurnerGuy Which Croix de Fer have you fitted Nanos to?

I have just swapped from a croix de fer frameset to a Kinesis Tripster, which takes the big tyres. Just wondered whether they would fit.

As I still have the cdf frameset I will have a look this weekend, as the WTBs are very good indeed.

velosam
    Free Member

Peter – glad you got sorted. I just cant seem to get fitted properly on genesis bikes without going up a size or 2. Ironically on a test ride I liked a 60cm CDF.

Your bike does look nice, almost makes me want to get a rack for mine 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Sam, the new 2015 models do have revised geometry. Might make a difference?
    I’ve put a more minimalist Tortec rack on it now, that was an old one I’d got knocking about.

duntstick
    Free Member

Liking the look of this

robdob
    Free Member

That’s the Tour De Fer frameset only colour scheme someone has built up into a full bike. Looks nice. I really want to buy one of those but the full bike is a bit of a bargain and I like the red colour so will probably go for that.

jerrys
    Free Member

robdob – I agree with you. The red appears to be a nicer colour (not seen either colour in the flesh though).

velosam
    Free Member

I prefer the red as well, that looks pretty nondescript, but it could be the lighting.

robdob
    Free Member

Somehow I think a touring bike should be a darker colour, no idea why.

iainc

Croix De Fer 30 ordered yesterday 🙂

brooess
    Free Member

Croix De Fer 30 ordered yesterday

If I didn’t have all the bikes I already need I’d be following you down the shop with my credit card in hand. The 30 is possibly the ultimate commuter bike.
    Although the Day One Di2 comes close too- an interesting concept, certainly

iainc

^^ the n+1 rule applies, hence I sold my 11 month old Croix De Fer yesterday to make space for it 😀

Had a good poke at the 30 the other night at launch event at SprocketsCycles which convinced me !!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Be nice to see that when it arrives Iain. 🙂

daleftw
    Free Member

I’m probably missing something, but that there Croix de Fer 30 – bit pricy, is it not?

My Croix de Fer, about an hour ago.

iainc

Dale – its not cheap but the brakes and sti’s are £500 on their own. When you tot up the 105/other Shimano drivetrain, carbon fork etc I think its definitely less than the sum of the bits.

daleftw
    Free Member

Frame – £475
    A >full< 105 groupset from Merlin – £325
    ‘Upgrade’ to those brakes – £375

Leaves you the best part of £600 for wheels and bits and that’s not taking into account the money you could make back by selling the 105 bits you don’t need.

velosam
    Free Member

My Croix de Fer, about an hour ago.

There is something elegant about a plain black bike with those tubes. What is the frame bag and can it carry much?

daleftw
    Free Member

Frame bag is this – http://www.wiggle.co.uk/deuter-front-triangle-bag/

In that picture, it’s holding a mini pump and the battery for the Chinese Deathlaser front light. I usually have my phone, keys, cash and cards in there too. I can get some food in there too without it feeling too full.

It basically carries what I’d usually carry in jersey pockets, without me having to wear a jersey.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve bought a very similar SKS bag. Doesn’t fit as my frame is too small. Bugger.

iainc

I still think it’s a good buy. Am I wrong ?

charliemort

back to the falling off lezyne light – I’ve had that. The mounts are sh@te – you have to be really sure you’ve got the light in properly

they’ve changed the mount now so it is longer and wraps right round

iainc

I’ve bought a very similar SKS bag. Doesn’t fit as my frame is too small

I have also bought the SKS one, on the back of a thread last week. I havent tried it and anm now ‘in between’ with my Croix De Fers. My frame is a 54, wondering if it will fit, what size frame is yours ?

edit – just reread your first post, so looks like it is too tight on a 52..

daleftw
    Free Member

iainc – Member
    I still think it’s a good buy. Am I wrong ?

Well, erm, aye. It’s overpriced, underspecced and not black. Whatever tickles your pickle, I suppose.

iainc

hmmmm, well the Press seem to think it’s good value 🙂

So, whether its for use as a rugged commuter, a tourer or a general adventure machine the Croix de Fer 30 is undoubtedly well equipped for the cash. We don’t think they’ll be hanging around.

from BikeRadar

powerofra

Anyone know when the 30 will be available?

Ta

daleftw
    Free Member

But I just clearly displayed that it’s not good value in about 3 minutes worth of online shopping?

iainc

powerofra – Member
    Anyone know when the 30 will be available?

Ta

yes, LBS says they expect the pre-ordered ones to be in store last week in December

daleftw
    Free Member

In fact, if you spend ten minutes, you can spec the frame, those brakes and shifters, a mix of Ultegra/105 chain, cassette, crankset, front and rear derailleurs and a Hope Headset for 1100.

Wheels, lets say £250 (I paid £200 for XT hubs laced to Archetypes with DT comps).

Leaves you £400 for a seatpost, saddle, bars, stem and bits.

Just saying, like. Talk amongst yourselves.

iainc

Leaves you £400 for a seatpost, saddle, bars, stem and bits

just as well my LBS is good with discounts on complete bikes then 🙂

daleftw
    Free Member

I was wondering whether to include that discount or not.

I’d expect to pay closer to £1400 for this bike if I walked in the shop today. But I’d also get about the same discount on the separate parts if I ordered through them.

powerofra

Thanks ianc.

Nothing odd about sizing is there? I’m between 5 10 and 5 11 and ride a size 56 cotic x currently. Thinking 56 genesis would be best?

iainc

Daleftw – yeah I think thats a reasonbale full bike price too.

powerofra – the geometry is up on the Genesis website, so would be easy to compare the key important ones with what fits for you. I am same height as you, but short legs, long back. My 2014 was a 54 and I have orderd the 30 in a 54. Compared to this years model the new one is 7mm longer ETT but 10 mm shorter stem, so same size pretty much. The head angle on 2015 is a bit slacker too.

robdob
    Free Member

Managed to ride it a bit more at all PP?

isitafox
    Free Member

I’ll chip in about mine, been using it solely for riding to work and going to the gym so it’s been 100% tarmac so far but I absolutely love it. I’ve never liked riding road bikes before, hence the flat bars and pedals, but I really enjoy this which is good as getting up at 05:10am to ride in isn’t easy!
    Just had a set of full mudguards fitted the other day, the bike shop though they might be a bit tight with the Conti tyres but there’s loads of room, as for the tyres though they’re a bit sketchy in the wet. Was riding home the other day and stood up to power off a roundabout and the front end slid out about 12″ but luckily I managed to stay on! The only thing I dislike so far is the brakes, they’re awful and just don’t seem to slow you down very well at all so I’m probably going to swap either for some BB7’s or some normal MTB hydros.

As for the geo I’m 6’3″ with a long body and I’ve got a 58cm which is perfect even with losing a few inches at the front with the bars.

holdsteady

Contemplating getting the CDF 10, as components spec is fine for my needs and will get upgraded when I wear it out (and the red is nicer looking than the white CDF20) however I noticed that the frame is not Reynolds 725 steel like the CDF 20 & 30 and is “Genesis Mjolnir Seamless DB Cr-Mo” – how does that compare? Does the cheaper model feel dead in comparison? Worth shelling out more for the 20 model?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Dunno. Not ridden a 20.
    I doubt there’s much real difference tough, TBH. It’s a reasonable double butted steel, it rides nicely, feels reassuringly solid and it quite comfy.
    Lighter wheels would make more difference than different tubing. I might change my wheels, I’ve got some hubs kicking around…. might pop some nice Mavic 29er rims on them…. Might not bother….. 🙂

velosam
    Free Member

Just to echo what Peter said. Decent wheels made a huge difference to my kaffenback.

However I also rode an older 725 CDF and it did feel springer. I would recommend test rides.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 160 total)

The topic ‘2015 Croix de Fer 1st ride (at last…)’ is closed to new replies.