Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 2015 Arkose 3 vs 4 – anything similar that is better for the money?
  • Shackleton

My tatty road bike died it’s final death this morning so I need a new commuter, weekend road bike and general riding places bike. Not racing or CX, don’t really like road bikes as a rule so handling that feels MTB-like would probably be appreciated!

Looking at other threads the Arkose gets a lot of praise and they seem good VFM: £800 for the 3 and £1000 for the 4.

My commute involved mud, country lanes and fireroad.
    I need rack and mudguard mounts.
    I’d like discs, hydraulic for preference but will muddle through with mechanical.

Is there anything out there that compares to the Arkose and is the hydraulic setup of the 4 worth the extra £200 over the 3? The 2016 Arkose 3 looks like the best of both world but is a very commuting unfriendly stealth black. An odd decision of their part but does rather count it out.

Budget is £1000 max and I rather the £800 end of the scale.

Cheers,

S

BillOddie

Have a look at the Jamis Renegades also on Evans.

I’m currently awaiting my Renegade Expat, hoping it will be here for the weekend but it’s not looking super likely.

Shackleton

Ta, will have a look.

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

I’ve been using my Arkose 4 for a while now and I’m very happy with it. The only change was to bin the Kenda SB8s (after at least 1 puncture per week) and fitted Specialized Trigger Pros (tubeless), which are a perfect match for the bike. plus the obligatory rack and guards for commuting.

jeffl

London Road with SRAM hydraulic brakes comes in at £1000 I think. I’ll let you find the thread about seat posts but I quite like mine.

Interestingly two work colleagues got new commuting bikes. One went for the London Road the other the Pinacle Arkose. Arkose looks nice guy who bought it seems to like it.

sv

Vitus Energie, I have last years model and it is very nice. Previously had an Arkose 3.

CRC link
    Cheaper ‘GR’ model

sixpotbelly
    Free Member

From the specs:

Arkose 3 2016 only has carbon bladed forks, ie an aluminium steerer.
    Arkose 4 2015 has an all carbon fork, and is reduced to the same price.

And, FWIW, I agree with you about colour!

BillOddie

Oh and have a look at the Virenti Substance, you can get 105 equipped version for about 700 quid.

Shackleton

Any opinions on a Norco Search? Looks like a nice spec and seems more of a tough road bike than dandified CXer.

freeagent
    Free Member

2016 Arkose 3 here.
    I was torn between this and the 2015 Arkose 4, which were the same price, I went with the 3 because I really liked the black frame.

I’m stuggling to get comfortable on it at the moment, but it rides really well – I just need to muck about with the stem length I think.

However the 4 has a nicer chainset (FSA rather than Chinese monkey metal Samox) and nicer wheels, so to my mind represents better value for £1000.

I’ve fitted SKS Chromoplastic guards, Conti Gatorskins and a rear rack.

The Hydraulic brakes are awesome!
    They don’t feel massively better than the 105 rim brakes on my Defy in the dry, but they feel exactly the same in the wet – whereas the rim brakes on the Defy are all but useless.
    I’d say the braking is similar to the new Deores on my MTB.

sixpotbelly
    Free Member

Similar is the Planet-X’s London Road. Hydraulic discs and SRAM 1×11 for £1k, or be patient and wait for one of their frequent offers like the 20% on xmas day.

Norco Search Steel looks good value discounted but cable discs only.

Arkose 2 2015 a left field choice. 1×10 with a bar end shifter, but full carbon fork and hydro discs for £765.

jameso

FSA rather than Chinese monkey metal Samox

Erm .. in fairness/ime the Samox chainsets are at least as good as the branded FSAs. Samox make some really nice top-end stuff for some big US brands and are a technically switched-on Taiwanese company. Anyway, just for balance, as you were.

(fwiw I’d take the 2015 4 at a grand but I’m biased. The brakes are really good. I have one in Taiwan as my go-to big hill descender bike, some amazing descents there and it’s great for stuff like that on 25-28Cs)

freeagent
    Free Member

^^I might have been a bit harsh about the Samox kit – it just doesn’t look very pretty ;o)

I would/should have bought the 2015 Arkose 4, but this was a C2W purchase and the Arkose 4 was over budget at the time.

I’m happy with the 3 though, and the matte black frame is a thing of beauty.

jameso

I may also have been a bit defensive on their behalf : )

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘2015 Arkose 3 vs 4 – anything similar that is better for the money?’ is closed to new replies.