• This topic has 7,395 replies, 232 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by WillH.
Viewing 40 posts - 2,601 through 2,640 (of 7,396 total)
  • 2015-16 rugby, world cup year
  • Tom-B
    Free Member

Strong looking Wales team….interesting to see them go with 2 opensides….that’s 2 more than we played against Aus, so maybe you’ll compete more at the breakdown 🙂

Shaping up to be a great game!

DanW
    Free Member

Backs: Israel Folau, Adam Ashley-Cooper, Tevita Kuridrani, Matt Giteau, Drew Mitchell, Bernard Foley, Will Genia.
    Forwards: Scott Sio, Stephen Moore (capt), Sekope Kepu, Kane Douglas, Dean Mumm, Scott Fardy, Sean McMahon, David Pocock.
    Replacements: Tatafu Polota-Nau, James Slipper, Greg Holmes, Rob Simmons, Ben McCalman, Nick Phipps, Matt Toomua, Kurtley Beale.

Every name in that back line scares the wotsit out of me. The forwards don’t look any more relaxing either!

anagallis_arvensis

Its a little annoying when a winger gets broken and they bring in Drew Mitchel.
    Suprising to say the least that nobe of Gethin, Lydiate or Davies make the bench given Wales were supposedly picking from a fully fit squad.

DanW
    Free Member

I don’t quite know what to make of the Wales selection…

I can’t help feeling Charteris and Tipuric are forced changed despite Gatland claiming he had the full squad to chose from. If that were true then I’d expect to see Lydiate at least on the bench (EDIT: agree with you there a_a).

Putting Williams on the wing is quite astute I think. His tackling and lines will be of more use there. Plus, I think the idea with Anscombe is probably if you are going to put an inexperienced young player in then best hide them at 15 as if Aus get that far it is probably try time anyway (and just set the expectation to do the basics well- key for any 15 though I guess).

James and Lee are necessary I guess to settle the scrum despite being fresh from injury.

North is the interesting one and I guess the slight weakness in defense is still preferred to Morgan’s inexperience… and he’ll no doubt give Giteau’s ribs a test or two

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Arf, arf, arf.

anagallis_arvensis

With any luck it may mean North gets more ball. Biggar will be playing 10 and 15 again I think. He’ll be the main bloke catching high balls from broken play. Cuthbert must be due a non calamitous game too I suppose.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Irish press reporting Healy, Toner and Payne to start against France. Tough on Iain Henderson, Mc Grath and Earls as they have all been in good form.

POSSIBLE IRELAND XV: Rob Kearney; Tommy Bowe, Jared Payne, Robbie Henshaw, Dave Kearney; Johnny Sexton, Conor Murray; Cian Healy, Rory Best, Mike Ross; Devin Toner, Paul O’Connell; Peter O’Mahony, Seán O’Brien, Jamies Heaslip. Replacements: Jack McGrath, Seán Cronin, Nathan White, Iain Henderson, Chris Henry, Eoin Reddan, Ian madigan, Simon Zebo.

Could be a big party this weekend in Ireland if we win and the ROI join NI at the Euros

DanW
    Free Member

Especially tough on Henderson- invariably Ireland’s best player. He’s only had one game so far this WC, is that right? Certainly he hasn’t started all of them so I kind of assumed he was being rested for big games like France 😕

anagallis_arvensis

I have to say Ireland will need to step up a lot to beat France. France look strong to me

BlindMelon
    Free Member

It has been reported Joe thinks his impact off the bench in the last 30 mins will be more fruitful as gaps begin to appear. I suppose we will see. I’m feeling quite confident this morning. Although this could be footy euphoria and too much beer last night, hic 😀

BlindMelon
    Free Member

I’d agree with that AA. The performance is in them, they just need to find it. The forwards in particular need to step up a lot.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ireland won’t beat France – Italy exposed the lack of creativity. They managed only 16 points from that much territory and possession against Italy. Too few line-breaks. Too few turnovers. Heaslip can be fantastic but he seems to be back into his “I have space, but, no, I must find an opposition forward to run into” mode. The only thing they’ve done very well is the line-out but even that hasn’t been tested. Murray’s kicking too much too (not blaming him for that, I assume he’s being told to).

anagallis_arvensis

Thing is France will not be bullied up front and after that and high kicks ireland have shown nothing.

loum
    Free Member

BlindMelon – Member
    Irish press reporting Healy, Toner and Payne to start against France. Tough on Iain Henderson, Mc Grath and Earls as they have all been in good form.

Glad Payne’s fit, but It’s going to be a 23 man game so Henderson and McGrath will still play a big part. They’ve proved themselves international class players.
    It’ll be tight, but it’s good to be going into it ahead of them with 2 draws in the last 4 games. WC France are ten times the team in the six nations but might not need to beat them, dd. 😉
    IMO, Ireland have looked a carrier short in the pack whenever Toner and Mcgrath have been in the same side.
    At least one of Healy or Henderson is always needed, really. But Toner’s almost unique in the way he makes the lineout and maul tick, and that could be crucial ‘cos they won’t dominate the French scrum. So with Healy back as a carrier, they can afford to have Toner’s strengths start too and use Henderson later on, maybe even for POC or POM if it’s needed.
    Not bothered about Earls missing really, he’s done brilliant ,against smaller teams, but the players picked are big game and defend better. He’s improved his defence no end, but his technique still makes him liable to knock himself out in big tackles. horses for course here

Feel more for Zebo (better game all round imo) ‘cos he’s spent his last few games proving he could do a job at full back whereas if he’d had a chance on the LW, he might just have nailed a starting spot

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Ireland won’t beat France – Italy exposed the lack of creativity

Well maybe but a lack of creativity didn’t prevent you from winning the 6N did it?

The thing is – since the 6N has either side played a meaningful game? A bunch of half-arsed warm up games and a scrappy win over a poor Italy apiece?

France were dire in the 6N and easy wins over Canada and Romania have done nothing to change that impression. THey may yet beat Ireland but going on form, consistency, personnel and coaching nous you’d have to make Ireland clear favourites.

loum
    Free Member

I’d argue that even the 6N wouldn’t count as “meaningful games” for France these days. They really don’t seem to give a ****. Even more so in WC year.
    NotHeinekan cup wins is a better measure of the state of French rugby outside of World Cups. And that’s not even as meaningful to them as their own league tables.
    They all care far more about club rugby than these “friendlies” they play every spring.

They peak nationally every 4 years without fail for the WC where they come together for a decent period of time and really go for it. otherwise, they don’t really do meaningful internationals much these days, maybe depending on who’s touring in the autumn.
    It makes any arguments about form and consistency as a national side pretty pointless really.
    The old “what France side will turn up?” line is bollox now. They always turn up for World cups, and don’t bother their arses outside of them.
    Personnel wise, front row (all 6 of them), back row, centres, and wide they’d challenge to be in any world team. And the rest – they’d still probably want to keep what they’ve got over most other offerings.
    Ask a French if any English player would make their squad and they might consider Steffon and maybe Manu from 2 years ago, Any more?

So “coaching nous”? – Whoever wins will have got their tictacs right – Joe’s good, but PSA knows his onions too.
    Both know that the six nations results meant nothing for this game.

OH, and lack of creativity
    “absence of evidence is not evidence of absence”

namastebuzz
    Free Member

All good points until you said

PSA knows his onions too.

Does he? Not so sure.

France didn’t really turn up for the last RWC either. Shambolic in the group. Mutiny against Lievremont then followed by a 20 minute purple patch which allowed them to defeat a useless England. A fortunate win over 14 man Wales and then, unbelievably a great performance against a choking ABs side which should have brought them victory. They “turned up” for the final, no doubt, but that was it.

Heinekan cup wins is a better measure of the state of French rugby outside of World Cups

Toulon have won the last 3 but how many French players did they feature? It measures the state of the Top14 but not necessarily how many good French players there are. Even then you can put 15 great French players together in one team and they can still play shit.

I’d love to see France play like we all know they have the capacity to but I’m not holding my breath. 😉

PS

“absence of evidence is not evidence of absence”

Yes, very true and Ireland have been hinting they’ve been keeping something up their sleeves which I sincerely hope is the case because I don’t want to watch them kickingitintheairandrunningafterit for 80 minutes again – even though they do it extremely well.

ElVino

If the rugby world cup site is right Earls is in at 13 for Ireland and Payne isn’t even on the bench. Must be injury to Payne

anagallis_arvensis

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d1vJ1T7DeDU[/video]

juanking

Nice one aa!

Tom-B
    Free Member

Haha great vid!!!!

IdleJon

Friday night, let’s turn the rugby on……………..

NZ v Tonga. Oh, yawn. These schedules are really crap.

anagallis_arvensis

Its due to the football isnt it.

IdleJon

No idea, I don’t follow football. Who’s on?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ben Smith tackle there….legs above the horizontal.

That’s a one week ban, isn’t it?

Well, it was for Waqaniburotu

#doublestandards

anagallis_arvensis

England v somone or other on itv 1

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

And then, after a yellow card, three straight penalties at the scrum. For anyone else, that would have been under the posts.

Did Lacey bottle it? Tonga are getting the shitty end of things here. Shit refereeing. NZ should really have had another yellow, and a penalty try there.

IdleJon

#CFH, thing is, I agree with the commentators – it wasn’t dangerous. No intent, nobody hurt, just a collision.

Lacey is such a cowardly ref. That last passage of play should have been a penlty try to Tonga and arguably another AB in the bin but he couldn’t do it. 👿

matt_outandabout

Has someone been ploughing in the tatties?

That so should have been penalty try to finish first half.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

it wasn’t dangerous

Nor was the Fijian tackle on May, though. Precedent set.

Lacey is such a cowardly ref. That last passage of play should have been a penlty try to Tonga and arguably another AB in the bin but he couldn’t do it.

I’d wager my left testicle he’d have given a penalty try and another yellow if it had been at the other end of the pitch, though.

IdleJon

Oh look, an international centre who converted over from League just scored. 😆

tallie
    Free Member

It must be so depressing when playing against the ABs and they start making replacements – they’re normally taking off arguably the best player in the world in his position and replacing him with the reason it’s arguable…

IdleJon

That’s the definition of a yellow card for a tip tackle.

What’s the current ruling on forward passes btw? There was one in the Waikato v Hawkes Bay game this morning that travelled about 5m forward but was ruled ok because his hands moved backwards. (It was an excellent game though.)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What’s the current ruling on forward passes btw? There was one in the Waikato v Hawkes Bay game this morning that travelled about 5m forward but was ruled ok because his hands moved backwards.

aka New Zealand Flat.

😉

IMO, ball should go backwards. Nothing to do with the hands, it’s always been the movement of the ball.

tallie
    Free Member

I think that’s pretty much it – so long as the direction of pass (as defined by hand position on release) is backwards then it’s ok even if it’s traveled forward over the ground due to a player running at full pace when it was passed.

There’s a youtube vid that explains it more clearly…

IdleJon

Yeah, seen the video etc but I thought it had been changed to ‘ball actually has to go backwards..’ Or flat!

BruceWee

If you’re running at full tilt, lift the ball over the back of your head, and drop it then it will travel forward. It’s the direction of the hands that matters.

Many refs still get fooled when the passing player is tackled just after he passes the ball.

tallie
    Free Member

IMO, ball should go backwards. Nothing to do with the hands, it’s always been the movement of the ball.

Flashy, valuable as your opinion is, the IRB disagree…

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgMlDy2jP9s[/video]

There’s a more modern one somewhere.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Well, that’s just it, isn’t it? It’s my opinion. I’m not the IRB. Therefore, we may not agree on everything. 🙂

Lacey was awful in that game. Awful.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Here’s the newer one.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=box08lq9ylg[/video]

Viewing 40 posts - 2,601 through 2,640 (of 7,396 total)

The topic ‘2015-16 rugby, world cup year’ is closed to new replies.