• This topic has 7,395 replies, 232 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by WillH.
Viewing 40 posts - 2,321 through 2,360 (of 7,396 total)
  • 2015-16 rugby, world cup year
  • tallie
    Free Member

I don’t really get all the Armitage dislike? He’s demonstrably better than the current incumbents at club level why not give him another run? Obviously playing behind the Toulon pack helps but playing with better players improves your game and he’s clearly in form. All that said, we could have had Richie M yesterday and I don’t think it would have made much difference – we were beaten in the tight 5.

anagallis_arvensis

e’s demonstrably better than the current incumbents at club level

Is he. How. Robshaw is a good player maybe below the very top level but given a platform and sensible tictacs he’d be fine. We should also remember that Pocock getting a turn over is down to the england team as a whole not clearing him out. Armitage may help you steal the odd ball from Aus but he wouldnt help stop Pocock. Its rarely 7 v 7.

toys19
    Free Member

I asked who are the up and coming back rowers, so far you lot have listed everyone I already know. Not a criticism of the responders, but dissappointed if thats all we have got. Isn’t there an academy somewhere teaching hoocock skills?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    DanW
    Free Member

The same pundits who, almost universally, predicted England to beat Australia.

I don’t think these pundits are necessarily right to back Lancaster but it was more the subtext that there wasn’t a lot of love for Farrel

anagallis_arvensis

Saw some English 7 playing for Ospreys on friday night. Only 19 or 20, looked very promising. Cant remember his name.

anagallis_arvensis

Key thing is though your backrow is fine. You just need to stop going wide early and play to your strengths.

martinhutch

Couldn’t they find a picture of a wallaby?

pk13

One telling thing at the end was Farrell Snr standing in front of lolcaster so he had to sheapishly walk round him to be at the front. Too many Indians not enough chiefs.
    4 years to mold a team with the playing stock we have is more than enough the only real upset to the plan was tuie getting into trouble with the police and a lump missing in the scrum.

Booing him was out of order at the press conference let the football fans do that.

sputnik
    Free Member

I blame the BBC.

wrecker
    Free Member

Armitage is an average player! A-a is right, he’s not the answer to England ills.
    There are some good back row players coming through; itoge, Wallace, ewers, another young lad at saints (I think) and or course, burgess….

Junkyard
    Free Member

As Nigel Owens would say, this isn’t football

Indeed they dont loose to Australia at football but both codes perform as well at World cups

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Speaking of Nige, I didn’t catch what he said to the Scottish player who took a dive after hardly being touched. Was it something along the lines of “You can come back here (ie a football stadium) in two weeks and do that…”?

I was watching it with a bunch of shouting toddlers milling around…

Kryton57

I was just having a look at Tom Woods interview on Facebook, and there’s Ron Pickering within the comments. I shit you not. 😀

wrecker
    Free Member

Didn’t the socceroos give the England soccer team a bloody good hiding in recent times?

sputnik
    Free Member

Nigel Owens: “Dive like that again & come back here in two weeks and play, not today”

bigblackshed

Nigel Owens: “Dive like that again & come back here in two weeks and play, not today”

That’s out of the top drawer. 🙂

IdleJon

Saw some English 7 playing for Ospreys on friday night. Only 19 or 20, looked very promising. Cant remember his name.

Olly Cracknell? Born in Leeds, played for Wales U20 during their last Worl Cup or Championship, whatever it is. I’m not sure if playing for a nation’s U20 team stops you from swapping countries later on?

Speaking of Nige, I didn’t catch what he said to the Scottish player who took a dive after hardly being touched. Was it something along the lines of “You can come back here (ie a football stadium) in two weeks and do that…”?

Stuart Hogg. One of the focus points before this competition was on players taking a dive. Penalties against the player were recommended iirc. And Hogg’s dive was very obvious. 🙄

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

“Dive like that again & come back here in two weeks and play, not today”

Ah, that’s what it was. Nice. 😀

toys19
    Free Member

Isnt wales under 20 effectivly the b team so its representative?Wasnt there a row about some dude caught between wales and scotland over the same thing?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Keet! :mrgreen:

toys19
    Free Member

Gotta say rugby is way better to watch as a neutral.. Althoug in theory I should be supporting Ireland, but I don’t have any emotional feeling over either side so it makes it so much less painful. 😳

jambalaya
    Free Member

A few of things occur to me re England. 1. Steffan Armitage is a fat blob and wouldnt last 30 mins in a fast paced international game. 2. You missed the Kiwi gouger, a lot. 3. Ford, May, Tuilagi, Joeseph, Watson, Brown could be very good. 4. Ben Morgan was not fit and did nothing, you missed Vunipola combined with Wood and Robshaw not being great. Surely you have some other flankers.5. The tictacs that involved flinging it wide whilst playing with that backrow wre seriously flawed.

@aa
    is spot on IMO with 1, 2 and 3 and his other post on Stefon. Big Billy V we did miss, he is big but a dynamic ball carrier. Not sure about the flankers and in tactics we where 10 mins and a few poor decisions away from beating Wales and finishing second in the group. Based on what we’ve seen so far Wales have zero chance of defeating Australia assuming they play as well again

We’d have wanted to win the group but we picked the wrong team against Wales (should have been Ford and anyone but Burgess) and still should have won. That’s the game that was a disaster. Australia where excellent and beat us fair and square whilst we contrived to lose to Wales, snatched defeat from the jaws of victory and all that. We had no idea about how to close out the first game when 10 ahead and should have taken the kick for the draw as damage limitation. We selected the sh1t or bust option and we know what happened. Hopefully we’ll clear out Lancaster and Farrel senior and put Farrell junior back on the bench. Burgess should prove himself over a season at Bath and then if he’s performed he can have another go.

duckman

Jesus DD, this is like watching England!

dragon
    Free Member

Ireland slightly struggling to get past Italy, although Ireland should get it done.

Australia looked brilliant last night, best I’ve seen any tan play so far.

I hope Hogg feels suitably embarrassed today, that dive was shocking.

DanW
    Free Member

Isnt wales under 20 effectivly the b team so its representative?Wasnt there a row about some dude caught between wales and scotland over the same thing?

I don’t think so but can’t find a source to back this up

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Jesus DD, this is like watching England!

It’s worse.

anagallis_arvensis

O’Squeaky bum time

anagallis_arvensis

And I thought thecwelsh game plan was limited. If Italy were any use you would have lost that. Outplayed in 2nd half.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Ah well, the win is the most important thing and best to get a shit game out of the way today.

Impressed with Italy though – good discipline and troubled the Irish scrum and forwards in general more than I thought.

Right, onwards towards losing to France then. 😀

anagallis_arvensis

snt wales under 20 effectivly the b team so its representative?Wasnt there a row about some dude caught between wales and scotland over the same thing?

It was hence McShingler couldnt play for Scotland. Not sure if it still is.

anagallis_arvensis
    IdleJon

Ah, Underhill. Problem is that the Ospreys have been so terrible that it’s difficult to know how good he actually is.

toys19
    Free Member

We’ll have him cheers.

tallie
    Free Member

The point about Armitage (and Pocock, Cooper, Tipuric, Warbs indeed any decent openside) is that they can link and play out wide with the ball in hand – none of our Flankers currently appear able to do that at international level. Launchbury looked better with the ball in hand.

AA is right you can of course construct a game plan that just relies on big back row smashing it up (as we used to) but that’s never been particularly successful and getting less effective as the professional era moves on. Haskell’s never been particularly effective at the international level because just hitting it up and making hard yards doesn’t cut it against decent opposition. 2003 was the only time we had an all round game.

On the subject of turnovers of course it’s not the seven’s job to prevent them – that’s a whole team responsibility but he should be the best placed to make them if his lines of running are half decent.

Northwind

DanW – Member

How does Brown still manage to come across like a total jebend, even in an apology note? Two lines in…. “some of us”…. great team spirit

That’s pretty harsh, you could take it as a criticism of “some of us” or you could say not everyone in the team has been part of the process for the 4 years so it’s been so much work, “some of us for 4 years”

DanW
    Free Member

Maybe… but it doesn’t come across well. Nevertheless the whole thing is a bit grovelly and odd for a pro as Kryton says

Sam Underhill was the player i was thinking of

From the same link… I wonder how long it is before Dirkson gets a call?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Tipuric would get a game in the centre forbade lot of teams!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

For a. Not forbade!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

its going to be a pretty ugly week if even a fraction of the stuff (ructions in the England management team) doing the rounds on Twitter turns out to be true.

brocks
    Free Member

Never understood the game was on another site today said code of rugby was described as kick and clap? Anyone explain.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,321 through 2,360 (of 7,396 total)

The topic ‘2015-16 rugby, world cup year’ is closed to new replies.