• This topic has 7,395 replies, 232 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by WillH.
Viewing 40 posts - 5,681 through 5,720 (of 7,396 total)
  • 2015-16 rugby, world cup year
  • tallie
    Free Member

Priestland, Tipuric and Owens. Plus england ran out of puff

Agree but it’s also a question of intent – Wales seem to need to have their backs against the wall and be down by a fairly big score before they start to throw it around.

I also think that 19 points didn’t really reflect the dominance we had in the first half – we still missed far to many chances and ended up with 3 points where we should have had 7; for which I largely blame Youngs.

anagallis_arvensis

And who won the back row battle – perhaps the lack of stupid penalties (Haskell’s neck roll apart) gives the answer??

Warburton has been quiet all year and Lydiate. Thought Not Toby was the better 8. Hard to tell which backrow was better when an entire team is being mullard. Hask and Robshaw did set the world on fire and Vunipola was handled well.

dantsw13

Igm – balance that against the fwd pass for his first try then.

anagallis_arvensis

Nowell was getting pulled all around defensively at the end, hence North getting joy where he wasn’t getting any earlier on

It looked like the midfield defence of England got too narrow. Maybe Manu’s positioning at 12 needs work?

igm

dantsw13 – I might give you that one. But as a neutral I love a come back and a grandstand finish.

Edit – and as a Scot I have to moan about Joubert

dantsw13

Playing Itoje at 4, with Haskell and Robshaw and Vunipola is a very strong unit.

dantsw13

Igm – oh, it was certainly that! I thought they’d do it.

anagallis_arvensis

Also Priestland is able to hit Williams on the outside of the 12 or 13 which creates space

tallie
    Free Member

Tallie – the space isn’t there early in the game. You have to earn the right to play that way late on.

Tell that to the ABs or Aussies or indeed most Super teams? I’d agree it wouldn’t earn such spectacular results earlier in the game but it’s more entertaining and arguably successful than smash and kick. Plus Wales do largely have the players that can play fast open rugby?

dantsw13

Aa – and Daly. He will be great, but is finding the step up from the Aviva a big one.

dantsw13

You look at the stats -ABs kill teams in the last 5 mins of the first half, and the last 20.

tallie
    Free Member

Dan You look at the stats -ABs kill teams in the last 5 mins of the first half, and the last 20.

Yes but they’re playing heads up, fast open rugby for 80 min and teams tire at the end of halves.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Not sure what the answer is with the scrum, but we are in the danger of massively over-thinking and analysing the scrum – its a bit like a certain academic subject 😉 where practioners have introduced so much Maths in an attempt to make it seem precise!

Eight v strong men straining against each other with marginal factors creating relative dramatic results. Amost impossible – even for a hooker 😉 – to know what’s going on and static photos and the spider cam give a false sense of insight. The experts are anything but….

anagallis_arvensis

Playing Itoje at 4, with Haskell and Robshaw and Vunipola is a very strong unit.

Still think they’ll get found out against a good team.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Ok I just ran that last tackle on North through frame by frame. He got the pass away before his knee hit the ground.

You didn’t need frame by frame to see that.
    Joubert had a fair game, if only by passing the buck to the TMO.
    At the end of the day it was a fair result. Wales made too many mistakes in the first half and England couldn’t put the game away. Wales haven’t lost it, as they showed at the end, and England haven’t got the stamina to finish a game on top.
    As far as the scrum goes Smason Lee needs something to push against so the scrum doesn’t wheel. Jus’ sayin’.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Anyone else notice that they replaced robshaw with a prop?

Only because they need to bring another prop on after Cole’s yellow.

wrecker
    Free Member

It looked like the midfield defence of England got too narrow. Maybe Manu’s positioning at 12 needs work?

I think you’re right.
    Brown was immense today, also heartened to see him direct the england med bloke towards Charteris to help with his finger. He ain’t made of stone 😉

anagallis_arvensis

There was a moment between Brown and Davies, both those two like a push and shove!! Loopy Liam pissed off Nowell too!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

also heartened to see him direct the england med bloke towards Charteris to help with his finger

He may be an utter shit, but he’s a rugby utter shit. 🙂

ctk
    Free Member

If the tackler is expected to roll away immediately surely the tackled should be have to release the ball immediately?

Is the tackled player allowed to get tackled, roll over and present the ball? Or is it just one of those things that has become the norm like not putting in straight at the scrum?

wrecker
    Free Member

It’s been that way since I can remember ctk. Certainly when I played junior rugby.

anagallis_arvensis

anagallis_arvensis

Shame we cant see what he’s looking at.

Spud

Give the TMO glasses. Shameful. Citing and banning on the way. In fact the whole use of the TMO is getting daft IMO, why make a decision as the match official when someone elce can do it for you….

wrecker
    Free Member

It doesn’t even matter if it was intentional. Contact with the eye area always earns a healthy ban. I’ve seen 12 weeks given for less obvious cases than that but you never know. He had better get down to waitrose.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

It’s starting to get as bad as football when a player can react like that to a bit of tickling. What happened to turning the man by using his nostrils? #Goodolddays

anagallis_arvensis

I didnt think there was much in it at the time but that looks pretty damning. I’d like to see if he takes a look and aims for it or is he just trying to grab something to shift out of the ruck.

Spud

Indeed, in that clip it looks like he isn’t focussing on where his hand is going, but his hand pinches rather than a wide grab for a body/ shirt.

ctk
    Free Member

Shameful eye gouging (or attempted) big ban and dropped from squad hopefully.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I didnt think there was much in it at the time but that looks pretty damning. I’d like to see if he takes a look and aims for it or is he just trying to grab something to shift out of the ruck.

Can’t be any worse than Mike Brown’s boot. No intent, no problem. End of and beyond discussion, and no blood was drawn.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Citing and banning on the way

Let’s see a gif of Marler as well, for balance. Oh, and anyone got a sound replay of his “gipsy boy” comments.

No place for any of that in the game.

wrecker
    Free Member

End of and beyond discussion.

I’m stealing that comment!

IdleJon

Is it the same posters who thought that Brown’s boot was ok who are now a bit breathless and hysterical over the attempt at the fastest eye-gouge in history? 🙄

mindmap3
    Free Member

That was a tad stressful! I’m hoarse after screaming at the TV in the pub.

The first 40 from England was very, very good I thought. Scrums were a lottery but the line out went well, the line speed in defence was very good (even Ford showed up Ok in defence). Wales looked like they’d run out of ideas but started the second half well. I thought we’d got away with it when Brown seemed to save our bacon when faffing about in our 22. The Biggar try seemed to really, really rattle them…what Ford was thinking kicking that away with Biggar bearing down on him is beyond me. The pass from Youngs wasn’t sympathetic, but still.

The Welsh bench made a huge impact…squeaky bum time. Francis was lucky I thought. Given that it was to the eye area I think he’ll get banned. Itoje was immense, for such a young man with few caps he looks at home on the international stage and gets through a lot of work.

Will be interesting to see how we front up in France next week with pressure on them to win.

Italy were bloody awful today. They played so well in Paris and loosing a game that they should have won seemed to make them give up. Wales will muller them next week.

It’s been a good weekend of rugby for me…Worcs won, Exeter beat the Falcons and denied them an LBP ans Wasps beat Tigers And England won.

wrecker
    Free Member

Is it the same posters who thought that Brown’s boot was ok who are now a bit breathless and hysterical over the attempt at the fastest eye-gouge in history?

Firstly, I hope you enjoyed that game idlejon. I did 😀
    Secondly, one was illegal and one was not. That should set it straight for you, glad I could help.

DanW
    Free Member

To quote someone else, a Joubert is a bit like a Sorbet… but leaves a bitter after taste instead. I am just glad that the better team won for the benfit of everybody’s sanity.

Wales didn’t look like they’d ever met each other before and weren’t playing for each other like they normally would*

Wales missed more tackles than an average team makes completed tackles. Hopefully this is some sort of record and a trophy can be awarded to Edwards while posing for a photo with a face like Lunchboy’s recent MOM and an interview to shame Brown’s

I didn’t notice Farrell at all today in open play which is the best possible indication England played ok.

Marler appears to be emulating his RFU president and continuing the tradition of props pretending to be the thickest players on the pitch but ends up double bluffing. If he did make the comment CFH suggests then I am surprised Samson didn’t lamp him*

Itoje as MOM is the first unanimously agreed point in the history of this thread, or perhaps even in the entire wider STW. Expect a flurry of full screen ads to non-premium member as the forum melts down.

“Dominant” has been refined in the dictionary to describe a state where no one entity is particularly more skilled or powerful than the other. Example: England have the dominant scrum.

Ford actually played quite well and has a future in the side IMO. It is unfair to blame him solely for Priestland’s charge down as Simpson’s pass to him was suitably awful. Danny Care looks better when he comes on in the last 20, mainly because he hasn’t had enough time to stuff the game up himself.

I hope Warburton is OK. In other injury news, Brown has been taken in for tests after the rumour he may have a heart and be human after all.

Francis was lucky not to be binned at the very least. It is a bit like a referee deciding a punch to the face was a friendly greeting or way to celebrate a try and letting it go. I think that Joubert realised leaving Francis on would be the bigger handicap for Wales so let slide. He’ll probably get even bigger on his hols as Ritchie Rees will tell you that you don’t need intent (or even any evidence of making contact with the face) to receive a hefty ban.

Wales can score tries. This is so surprising I’ll just leave it at that.

Some people here still don’t seem to realise a perfectly fine pass can travel forwards on the pitch.

I don’t understand any of the love for Watson. Distinctly average. England should have played that guy Bananaman and had him line up opposite Cuthbert for a true battle of wits. Nowell works really hard everywhwere, has speed and lines to match his hard tackling but gets lumbered with the being at fault for Manu (and the secondfirstfiveeightswhoshouldn’treallybeplayingthere at other times in the game) leaving a lot of ground to cover.

The urban myth that the AB’s win games by throwing the ball around in a carefree manner for 80 minutes is still a thing. They absolutely dominate territory by kicking more, and more effectively than any other side while doing the basics exceptionally well and rarely making mistake. If this is hard to imagine, watch Wales in the first half and imagine the opposite.

Every Welsh fan said England would win before the match. See! We told you so, we are always right and that is all that matters 🙂

* to state the obvious most seemed to be playing for England instead

** not a reference to ferreting

anagallis_arvensis

and one resulted in lots of blood and one saw a prob wander off the pitched when binned absent mindedly rubbing his nose!!

Kryton57

Good an accurate summary from mindmap3 I think. Cole isn’t hurt and the game is (just about) won so no need for a fuss from us.

Those tries in the last need to have been prevented, for gods sake! But still, before the game if I hadn’t watched it I would have said the final score reflects the teams, occasion and location.

Good to see North back in some form, but Itoje, jeez if we could find a few more like him.

wrecker
    Free Member

If Bomber was still in charge, we’d not have seen Itoge in an england shirt yet. A senior one anyway.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Itoje, jeez if we could find a few more like him.

He’s bloody good. Would love to see him alongside AWJ on the next Lions tour!

Also, he’s a great advert for rugby. He’s a professional sportsman, who is also studying for a politics degree at SOAS. (See also Dr Roberts and many more). Why can’t soccer do the same? Why can’t they have people playing AND getting an education. After all, if Itoje had a career ending injury now, he’d still have a potential career. If A.N.Other soccerist had a career ending injury, many of them have been taken from school at 16 or earlier, with little or no longer term education.

Viewing 40 posts - 5,681 through 5,720 (of 7,396 total)

The topic ‘2015-16 rugby, world cup year’ is closed to new replies.