• This topic has 7,395 replies, 232 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by WillH.
Viewing 40 posts - 5,201 through 5,240 (of 7,396 total)
  • 2015-16 rugby, world cup year
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Glad Guscott hasn’t turned into Andrew Robson.

Nicol must be just a bairn! Scotland and the All Blacks used to be the masters of fast aggressive rucking. You didn’t want to lie on the ball in front othe tiers forwards in the ‘old days!! 😉 made for nice fast rugby too

anagallis_arvensis

Bear you come on a thread complaining that everyone isnt being nice and then with the next post you say how welsh supporters grate and you wonder,…. is it just a massive lack of self awareness?

duckman

teamhurtmore – Member
    Good post bear and your right about what England are trying to do and the intolerance – tried a separate thread to counter but it died.

You utter hypocrite,you were banned for your inability to stop referring to Scots as Sweaties. When called out about it,you suggested a sense of humour was required ( that’s a quote BTW)

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Some learn from (perceived) mistakes, meanwhile…..

1NT….pass….?

Bear, you can always resurrect the other thread. It had a nice feel to it!

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Internationals are a great way to bring in new supporters and we should be more accommodating of them, it’s not an exclusive club. New supporters should be encouraged and not discouraged with snobbery.
    EDIT: It looks like Bear has previous on this matter.

duckman

Oh,so using racist terms is a perceived mistake? And your “meanwhile’comment..show me where I have EVER used a term like the one you use on every single thread on Scotland…until they banned you of course and your learnt your lesson.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Agreed captain – why complain at people watching a great game. Now if we can get some quality rugby too and a little less whistle

Kryton57

And bear has brought the old anagallis back. Well done that man.

He’s just bitter because he found out this week that he’s been tackling incorrectly for years. 😉 😆

Bear
    Free Member

AA, maybe, my perception is that the Welsh English rivalry is stronger than the others. Do you have the same feelings toward other teams when you play them?

Probably because Wales has such a strong rugby heritage and are a proud nation their supporters are very patriotic, far more so than England probably.

Once again apologies if I offend, that is not the purpose of my posts, far from it.

I’ve played a lot of sport and made many friends through playing and watching, some were bitter rivals on the field but once you get to know them by sharing a drink post match you realise that you are all very similar. I suppose that I’m trying to get past the rivalry, but not doing a very good job of it.

anagallis_arvensis

Bear, you can always resurrect the other thread. It had a nice feel to it!

ME ME LOOK AT ME!!

Bear you havent offended me I just fail to grasp how you can say onething on one post and then the opposite on the next and then fail to understand why people think your posts grate.

Still its not as good as the irish times is not a national paper on the last page!

anagallis_arvensis

He’s just bitter because he found out this week that he’s been tackling incorrectly for years

Havent tackled anything more dangerous than a full english in years!

Bear
    Free Member

my posts didn’t come across as I intended so I’m going back to read only, carry on as normal……..

wrecker
    Free Member

I kind of get pigface’s attitude. In some areas, I reckon english rugby is quite a difficult thing to like. The tweed, the hunter wellies, the posh hamper of scran in the twickers car park. I get it. Here in some of the west country (excluding bath obv), the rugby playing and supporting demograph is far more like that of South wales, I find the whole posh **** thing a bit shit too which is why I ignore it.
    All said and done, it’s just about 30 blokes knocking lumps out of each other with a ball for our amusement. Hating those who do so is odd.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I kind of get pigface’s attitude. In some areas, I reckon english rugby is quite a difficult thing to like.

It’s easy to understand pigface’s point of view, he’s Welsh. You should get it totally, it’s not hard. 😀

DanW
    Free Member

Not sure what some people are seeing in this thread. All fans seem to be appreciating their team is a bit sh1t and the standard of rugby hasn’t been high. England draw a lot of discussion as they are one of the few NH teams with the potential for genuinely posing a challenge to the SH sides.

As an Englishman living all my adult life in South Wales I identify far more with the “average” Welsh fan through the passion for rugby there is in the area. The subtle difference is that even in the not very Welsh part of Wales that is the South, supporters are generally rugby fans first and foremost and Welsh fans second. Sure there is passion for the national side but not the hate against other nations that most non-Welsh (English?) seem to think there is. When England had their more dominant run (especially the WC’s) every single person in the Welsh bars was cheering for a NH win. As I said, South Wales may not be the best representation of Wales as a whole but from my perspective at least the discussions around England aren’t out of hatred or trying to constantly pick holes, it is just contributing to a discussion of how you get the powerhouse of the NH with the most potential challenging the SH sides fulfilling all that potential as it is all we have in this part of the world in terms of hope 🙂

igm

The supporters who grate on me are the ones who turn up for 6 weeks every year and pretend to be experts based on what the rugby section of the Telegraph says.

I played for 25 years and I’m pretty sure I’m only just starting to understand the game. As for the rules, just when I get used to them they change. And don’t get me started on crossing in the 3/4s, handling in the rucks, feeding in the scrums and allowing lifting in the line outs. And didn’t scrums used to involve a higher pushing to falling down ratio?

THM – the All Blacks and the Scots old style rucking? Brings a smile to my face just thinking about it. Hands on the ball when you shouldn’t? Broken wrist. Lying over? Broken ribs. Self refereeing they were, just let them get in with it.

England draw a lot of discussion as they are one of the few NH teams with the potential for genuinely posing a challenge to the SH sides

Not unless they move on from 10 man rugby. Live a little, develop some flair, some artistry. When they started off loading before contact against the Aussies they looked good, moving the point of attack constantly and confusing the Aussie defence – but they didn’t keep it up. And Farrell embarrassed himself and got binned. The English have the players I think but they are building a team around 6 Nations success at the moment. (Of course, I’d happily settle for 6 Nations success)

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Good old days IGM – fast, aggressive rucking rugby was a joy to watch. The modern ruck and maul (especially the blatant obstruction rolling maul) are v dull in comparison. You cant even collapse it any more 😉 – that soon stopped the travesty even if you did get trampled on (if you didn’t quite get it right)

igm

Yes do you remember how in some games the scrum half just kind of advanced at a fast walk flicking the ball up left or right to a galloping forward again and again.

And the five yards and pop to the open side as you’re hit that Scotland just about perfected in 1984? Long diagonal lines of dead bodies up and across the pitch. Fantastic.

I’d love to “see their like again” – here’s hoping

anagallis_arvensis

When England had their more dominant run (especially the WC‘s) every single person in the Welsh bars was cheering for a NH win

But yes I was screaming with delight when St Johnnie did his drop goal thing.

DanW
    Free Member

England had a better run that the rest of us the next time round too let’s not forget. The reaction to Wilkinson’s drop goal in a Welsh bar was indeed mental 🙂

namastebuzz
    Free Member

And don’t get me started on crossing in the 3/4s

Aaaaaaaarrrrgh! That does my head in! Anyone hanging about in midfield ahead of the back line is obstructing – penalize them.

anagallis_arvensis

England had a better run that the rest of us the next time round too let’s not forget.

How could we Cueto still hasnt stopped whining!!

anagallis_arvensis

My pet hate with rugby currently is the scrum. Refs say if you keep **** anout I’m going to award pens. THATS WHAT THEY WANT YOU DAFT ****. Stop awarding pens and all the **** about will stop.

dragon
    Free Member

Scotland have disappointed me the most as at the WC they seemed to have finally made some progress but have failed to bring that to the 6N.

People especially the media keep saying this, but Scotland were nothing special at the world cup. One good game against a complacent and half disinterested Australia does not suddenly make you good.

Wales were the best NH team at the world cup; very, very closely followed by England and funnily enough only 4 months later they’ll be contesting the 6N title.

You can’t stop crossig in the midfield as the SH would have a hissy fit.

DanW
    Free Member

People especially the media keep saying this, but Scotland were nothing special at the world cup. One good game against a complacent and half disinterested Australia does not suddenly make you good.

How do you judge special or successful? They scored more points and tries than any other home Nation, got the equal furthest in the tournament, made massive leaps compared to the rugby they’ve played in recent years… and they must have set some sort of record for number of intercept tries 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Stop awarding pens and all the **** about will stop.

Amen!

Also, it would stop the utterly irritating habit of backs sprinting the length of the pitch to congratulate the front row for winning a penalty. If I was a coach, I’d kick anyone who did that. Hard. And several times.

anagallis_arvensis

The problem is any scrum that gets driven back is penalised as its impossible to stay bound and straight with your head being shoved up your arse so they mightvas well drop it as soon as the pressure comes on.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Good point C’pn and the last thing you want as a front row forward is a pretty boy in his clean shirt and shorts coming and patting you on the head. They can have the headlines for putting the ball down – leave the real men alone 😉

igm

would stop the utterly irritating habit of backs sprinting the length of the pitch to congratulate the front row for winning a penalty

Easy rule change. Any player congratulating team mates for winning a penalty shall result in an immediate scrum with the congratulating player exchanging positions with the player congratulated. Put in to the non-congratulating side.

Mike Brown at hooker and Dylan at full back anyone.

Horrible practice congratulating penalty awards if you think about it. It makes it seem like the team achieved a goal, as if they were playing for a penalty, and that’s akin to diving. Perhaps even a yellow is in order – but seeing Brown in a front row would be funnier.

sprocker
    Free Member

What irritates me is following a collapsed scrum I can make a cup of tea before it resets, get a move on fat lads

ferrals
    Free Member

as if they were playing for a penalty,

as if? I thought it was blatantly obvious they are playing for a penalty half the time?

duckman

The one that boils my piss is the subs who just happen to be behind the oppo line piling into scorers. Or ” entering the field of play without informing a match official.”

IdleJon

Still its not as good as the irish times is not a national paper on the last page!

I think you probably know what I meant and are just being an arse for the sake of it. Irish Indy btw – if the circulation is the same as the UK Indy then it gets read by no-one.

anagallis_arvensis

think you probably know what I meant and are just being an arse for the sake of it. Irish Indy btw – if the circulation is the same as the UK Indy then it gets read by no-one.

Nice to see you come out swinging keep digging fella!
    I’m pretty sure everyone knows what you meant by it dont worry about that!

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Horrible practice congratulating penalty awards if you think about it.

Indeed – applauding the ref for giving your side a decision is equally distasteful.

Lots of these things surely fall under “ungentlemanly conduct” or whatever it’s called in the rules?

mefty
    Free Member

In some areas, I reckon english rugby is quite a difficult thing to like. The tweed, the hunter wellies, the posh hamper of scran in the twickers car park. I get it.

Do you realise how difficult it is to get a ticket for the West Car Park nowadays now there are a load of bars for the general public? The Cardinal Vaughn is social death.

wrecker
    Free Member

Do you realise how difficult it is to get a ticket for the West Car Park nowadays now there are a load of bars for the general public? The Cardinal Vaughn is social death.

Fantastic 😀

jambalaya
    Free Member

There is nothing posh about eating in a car park on a February day. Funny isn’t it how bbq-ing game is okay at Newlands but Twickenham is too posh. Too many chips on shoulders I think.

mefty
    Free Member

Funny isn’t it how bbq-ing game is okay at Newlands but Twickenham is too posh.

To be fair, it is against the rules to bbq at Twickenham.

wrecker
    Free Member

Too many chips on shoulders I think.

Jamba. A pretty good friend of mine (likely the poshest friend I have) put some piccies up of the west stand car park the weekend. They were head to foot in tweed, sipping fizzy wine and cutting up bits of very expensive looking beef to put with very expensive looking cheese in very expensive looking bread in the back of a Range rover. I may not be the best judge of posh, but it looked pretty bloody posh to me.

Viewing 40 posts - 5,201 through 5,240 (of 7,396 total)

The topic ‘2015-16 rugby, world cup year’ is closed to new replies.