Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • 2014 TDF – HOLME MOSS LAND AVAILABLE
  • misterfrostie
    Free Member

OK so a mate of mine has a large amount of land right at the side of the road at Holme Moss, the biggest UK climb of the 2014 TDF. He wants me to get involved with letting it off, organising catering, camping, bike lockups, corporate entertainment etc.

It’s only early days yet but what sort of stuff would you want to see there if you were planning to travel there to see the event ?

Apparently the road will be closed from around 8AM to 5PM so it’s either get there the day before or very early on the day.

I’m thinking secure bike storage for some of it – if I was travelling there it’d be by bike. £15 a pop for the day ?

Probably some car parking, camping etc ?

mintimperial

I’m thinking secure bike storage for some of it – if I was travelling there it’d be by bike. £15 a pop for the day?

You do know Holme Moss is in Yorkshire, right?

postierich
    Free Member

£15 I take it its free beer?

MussEd
    Free Member

It’s only early days yet but what sort of stuff would you want to see there if you were planning to travel there to see the event

A massive temporary stand on one side of the road to get a good view of the whole thing flashing by, a massive screen to watch the whole stage to its finish. And a massive beer tent. Please.

sparkingchains
    Free Member

He’ll make a killing. Theme it, make it all yellow. Dye the grass yellow, paint the whole road yellow, it’ll get on TV and people will talk about it.

MussEd
    Free Member

Oh! Get some bales out in the shape of a massive cyclist so the chopper cam gets a good shot!

Houns

Advertise it EVERYWHERE, Get as many people in there as you can…… So I can go out on my bike maybe in the Peak or Wales and enjoy the deserted trails

Mugboo

And build a big jump over the road for Akrigg 🙂

gus
    Free Member

What do you mean by letting it off?

scotroutes

Make sure you post about it on some cycling forums to get lots of interest going.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

He wants me to get involved with letting it off, organising catering, camping, bike lockups, corporate entertainment etc.

If you want to make monpey then selling burgers to people on bikes is a long shot. What most will do is ignore the £15 storage and sit with their bike or worse sit on the other side of the road.
    If you want something to cover the costs then food vans, toilets and some bike racks might work.

If you can swing a corporate thing then you probably want to get it over to someone professional who can organise it and know how to sell it – also the sort of people who will pay £15 for bike parking to sit in a yorkshire summer in their sky kit are not the sort who will ride there. You will probably need to coordinate with parking somewhere else and get a fleet of shuttle buses.

nosaintangel
    Free Member

camper van parking

nosaintangel
    Free Member

camper van parking cycle jumble sale.

sparkingchains
    Free Member

Look at some footage of the dutch corner at the Alpe d’Huez, that’s what I’m talking about!

nickjb
    Free Member

You might get people to pay for car parking, camping, burgers, beer, soft drinks. You’ll need or sorts of things from the council to make it work but they should be amenable

misterfrostie
    Free Member

Yep camper van parking is defo on the list, there’s plenty of hard standing.

misterfrostie
    Free Member

Is £15 really out of the way for someone to look after your bike for the day ? I’d be happy to ride the 40 or so miles to get there then give someone £15 to keep an eye on my ride for the day. And I’m a Yorkshireman 😀

gus
    Free Member

Maybe a stall selling replica SKY kit?

aazlad
    Free Member

Area for camping, running water, portaloos, bike parking. Count me in!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The £15 might not be too much but look at how most do it on the TdF. On top of your £15 I would expect the food will be £5/something and £3/coffee etc so looks expensive You probably need to cost out the things and look at how much the average will spend and how much you will see out of it. Then factor in fencing, rubbish collection, cleaning up, damage, security, etc.

If you want to offer anything corporate you will need some exclusivity (more fencing/security/better offerings)

Not wanting to sound negative but just throwing in some realism. If you want to get some corporate stuff (marquee/stand/meal etc.) you probably need to be selling it now to get an idea of what you can do, get a couple of ex pro’s out there to do a lunch speech and meet/greet/photo op. Then some TV’s to watch the race upcoming and the finish. Add in some transport there/back and some parking and you can probably do something though worth checking with council/tdf/corp hospitality they might be better as someone with a track record might make you an offer for a part of the site and take the hassle/risk away from you. It’s going to be a lot of thursday nights drinking champagne & eating canapes if it goes wrong.

misterfrostie
    Free Member

tbh I think we’d just let some of the land off to a professional corporate company / bike company rather than get bogged down in the detail of screens, catering etc.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I don’t see much like this roadside in France, it’s only to see the peloton fly past once, I can’t see it raising much net of costs.

Open it for parking, rent some space to food vans. Rent some pitches for camps. You’ll need staff and toilet facilities etc, is there any drinking water on site ? Corporate entertainment, surely that’s going to be based in Leeds or other big cities at start or finish not in a field where you are marooned from the night before till the end of the day.

For Olympics they had a big temporary campsite at box hill, catering vans and mobile bars. There where 2 races men’s and ladies and the men did 8 odd laps so plenty to see. Most cyclists rode in and stood next to their bikes. After the roads were closed they walked along the pavement like all the other pedestrians

Sorry, just trying to be realistic

misterfrostie
    Free Member

No need for apologies mate, all input appreciated. Its a good point regarding most likely locations for corporate, but this is the biggest climb of the tour, so probably the slowest section, with great views of the road winding upward. It should be fairly well sought after if we split it up correctly. Hard to know where to start as no lessons learnt yet.

fatboyslo
    Free Member

Rule 1… Keep it simple

Rule 2 … Keep it cheap

Less hassle if you keep it simple
    More customers if you keep it cheap.

I would suggest the easiest way would be to set up as a very basic temporary car park and camp site

E.g parking and camping from Saturday might be £20 – £25
    Parking only on Sunday £5 a car

THEN put the catering out to tender… Get a catering company to pay you and leave them to it.

Depending on how many cars it will fit it would be relatively easy money… But dont forget some sort of traffic management for after

MarkLG
    Free Member

It might me worth getting in touch with Kirklees Council to discuss the logistics of using the land. Bear in mind that it’s going to be inaccessible to vehicles for the day of the event, so that’ll restrict what you can do with it.
    Setting up some sort corporate thing won’t work if the corporate types can’t drive in and park up.
    I’d be thinking along the lines of running it as a basic campsite – there are going to be a lot of people wanting to overnight on the hill to get a good viewpoint on raceday. Get some catering and a beer tent sorted out for the weekend and watch the money come in 😉

Mugboo

Not sure you can compare it to France as they get it regularly. This is a unique, one of a kind, event, surely this = money.

jekkyl

Keep it for a stw forum meet up.

hora
    Free Member

Liability insurance

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Charge for parking and be done with it.

Although I’m sure even that will need council approval etc.

8am till 5pm on a Yorkshire hill side, is a long time to keep some one fed, watered and happy whilst charging them for the privilege.

I am sure that all the rich southerners will be staying in posh hotels in Harrowgate

jekkyl

When you say the road is closed does that include bicycles too?

mrhoppy

Corporate stuff will be at the start and finish where they can meet the riders before/after. It may be the biggest hill in the UK stages but in the greater scheme of things it’s a pimple and isn’t going to slow them down that much that it becomes a spectating hotspot and it doesn’t have the prestige of a mountain. I’d suggest pitching at the general punter so parking and food (charge caterers for using the site?).

mt
    Free Member

Have guest speaker throwing out pearls of roady bike wisdom from the side of the hill under the mast. A former pro rider would do, someone who’ll need some money like Lance.

BadlyWiredDog

Advertising hoardings. Low hassle. Potentially lucrative if it’s in the right place.

Or think outside the box a bit, partner up with a bike brand, give them an opportunity to set up some sort of complimentary hospitality centre for cycling spectators – coffee, service centre, product display, video entertainment – there’s going to be a lot of sitting about waiting.

I’m guessing the land’s going to be quite low down as otherwise it’ll be a precipitous slice of moorland hummockry dotted with sheep.

I cheerfully forecast a 2014 sportive explosion all over Holme Moss and a lot of very frightened cyclists mixing it with the horror traffic on the Woodhead.

ianv
    Free Member

You could probably make a fair bit (and avoid a lot of the hassle) by only charging people to park their cars/camper vans/ catering trucks on it with none of the extra facilities and associated costs.

Some of the farmers around Bourg D’Oisans seemed to be doing pretty well from this when we were there just after the Alpe d’huez stage.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Corporate entertainment, surely that’s going to be based in Leeds or other big cities at start or finish not in a field where you are marooned from the night before till the end of the day.

^this

If you’ve not already done so, check with the council (or whoever) when the road is going to be closed from and to. There’s little point creating a car park if no cars will be allowed to get to it. The adventurous types who might camp overnight are probably the same type who would be happy to walk or ride in, so my gut feeling is that providing camping might not be worth the effort of providing running water and toilets.

I reckon food and drink is where you might be able to make some money if the Holme Moss burger van market is not already saturated for July 2014.

Is there even any flat land on Holme Moss…other than the top?

martinhutch

This

http://velofest.co.uk/

Is the kind of thing you may well be up against. And they’re already up and running, taking bookings.

jonathan
    Free Member

Keep it simple I reckon. The Belgian model, as seen at the Spring classics, might work well. At its most simple that’s just a beer tent, more developed is a beer tent, but ticketed/paid admission, food and some big TVs to watch the rest of the race on once the 5 minutes of action has zipped past.

Pretty clear income stream (beer and food), plus I bet there’s plenty who would pay to watch the rest of the race live there and then, even if they didn’t partake of the beer and food before hand.

You will have licencing issue to deal with (alcohol and TV showing I guess)

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Tell rapha they can pay you 10k to do something awful with it themselves.

Never before will the world have seen so many choppers united in one place.

bikebouy
    Free Member

We are letting out 2 fields on our Farm in Harrogate and we have bookings already.. Harrogate Council were aproached WRT what we can and can not do and the answer we got was “pretty much anything” Thier attitude was so long as it’s temporary and falls into line and servicing the TdF we’re ok to do pretty much anything.
    So, we have organised toilets, electric hookups (for tents and caravans, and a washing service for dirty clothing via a hook up on the town. All’s sorted out, we have bookings and lots of advertising already in place.
    We intend to do something with bails of hay and tart up one of the fields with TdF framed picture that can be seen from the air..

TheSanityAssassin

Here’s a novel approach – how about not ripping folk off? Some local woman’s wee apparatus is already charging £125 a night camping (min. 2 night booking). I’m local and I’ll be up the Moss, regardless of whether someone’s going to try and cordon it all off or not. And so will plenty of other locals. And no doubt a shed load more folk from a little further afield too. It’s an event for the people, everybody, not just the select few with pot loads of cash to throw around.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘2014 TDF – HOLME MOSS LAND AVAILABLE’ is closed to new replies.