Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)
  • 2014 Orange Alpine, one word….
  • shaggmiester
    Free Member

Wow! Unbelievable bike, I thought my five was the best trail bike out there, but this is something else! Feels super smooth down the roughest of trails, but most of all I can’t get over how stable it feels! Not too bad a climber either! Had a go of a mates transition and can’t believe how scary that felt on the descent after being on the alpine. . Think orange have got it spot on now! 😀

wl
    Free Member

+1. The Alpine RS I rode was mint – smooth as you like, low and stable, agile in tight stuff, slack enough for scarily steep lines, plus it weighed surprisingly little and pedalled great. The real revelation was how well it climbed for a bike with this level of downhill capability – such a good position, and the seat angle is spot on for getting you to the top of the biggest hills. A true all-mountain bike for those who like to reach the best out-of-the-way stuff in places like the Pennines, Lakes, Alps etc. And it won’t need much love, so it’s perfect for UK winters. Kind of bike that made me wish I had a couple more hours of daylight left at the end of every ride. Top of my wish list.

niceandy
    Free Member

Interested to hear that as thinking about one myself.

Are you running the Float shock or CCDB air?

mojo5pro
    Free Member

How’s the sizing? I’m 5′ 9″ with shortish legs. Have a 16″ five at moment but thinking of 17″ in the Alpine as the the top tube looks pretty low.
    How does sizing compare to five?

ps, shag,wl…get some pics up!

ton

shaggmiester………..can you remind us all where you work??

shaggmiester
    Free Member

Ton, I work in an engineering spot, I don’t work for orange, I’ve always bought orange though as they seem to be the best bikes, they did used to be crap bikes back in the day of the sub 5 era but theyve definitely got them dialed now! 🙂

ton

shag, you, as well as i know why you really buy orange’s. 😆

thomthumb
    Free Member

26″ – who’d buy a dodo now?

wwaswas

shag, you, as well as i know why you really buy orange’s.

this is the 2nd thread you’ve made this comment ton – why not just come out with ‘they all get them trade price’ or ‘they work for a sub-contractor’ or something more specific?

maxtorque

Has the STW Orange fan club been on off on their Hols for a while? We haven’t had a “Oranges are sooooo awesome” thread for ages! I was beginning to worry that STW might have found a new favourite……

mojo5pro
    Free Member

This thread is getting off the point..It’s about the new Alpine.

How’s it differ from the old one in terms of ride?

ton

shag, you, as well as i know why you really buy orange’s.

this is the 2nd thread you’ve made this comment ton – why not just come out with ‘they all get them trade price’ or ‘they work for a sub-contractor’ or something more specific?

😯

wwaswas

did you not make a similar comment about the sweary northerners on the ‘why the 5 hate’ thread?

sorry if I’ve misunderstood but it just sounds like there’s more to it than ‘they like the bikes for the sort of riding they do and so spend their hard earned on them at full retail price’ ?

wl
    Free Member

mojo – it’s lighter, slacker, better seat angle for climbing, adjustable geometry, improved rear dropout, also slightly lower I think, plus 1.5 headtube to maximise fork options. It’s an improvement on an already decent frame.

hot_fiat

also slightly lower I think

Really? It needed to be lower? 😯 Mine clangs its cranks off pebbles mid-corner as it is.

shaggmiester
    Free Member

wl – Member
    mojo – it’s lighter, slacker, better seat angle for climbing, adjustable geometry, improved rear dropout, also slightly lower I think, plus 1.5 headtube to maximise fork options. It’s an improvement on an already decent frame.

POSTED 19 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

Spot on will.

Tony, we aren’t gonna buy shit bikes for the kinda riding we do! Cheap or not!

Infact, I recall you once telling me that you know the five is one of the best trail bikes out there and that you only slag them off on here to wind folk up! So there you go! 😉

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

unbelieveable revelation! I thought better of you Tony 😉

wl
    Free Member

hot – don’t forget that adjustable geometry then, and there’s always shorter cranks, slimmer pedals etc. Alpine I rode had 34s and was in the slack setting and it was ace – hugged the trail brilliantly. Soon got used to the low BB and it was never a problem, even on Calderdale’s rutted and rock-strewn Pennine trails.

ton

i have no recollection of such a conversation. and if it did take place, it was under the influance of beer. 😀

but!!, tell us why you really like em shag….the good folk need to know.

mojo5pro
    Free Member

How’s the sizing? I’m 5′ 9″ with shortish legs. Have a 16″ five at moment but thinking of 17″ in the Alpine as the the top tube looks pretty low.

wl
    Free Member

The medium (17″) I rode fitted me perfectly. I’m 5′ 10″ and ride a 17″ Five. 50mm stems. Plenty of standover, comfortable length for all-day rides.

Northwind

I want a go of this one. But sadly I’ve become a 26er luddite… Does it look better in the flesh? The promo shots were pretty orrible but then, Orange seem to have forgotten how to do promo shots entirely.

Blower
    Free Member

[/url]

z1ppy

mojo5pro
    Free Member

Nice! love the deep purple colour. Is that 16″ or 17″ frame?

Blower
    Free Member

17″

its either like or not like with my colour choice hahahah

im 5ft11 by the way

ohhh and yes i love mine too..does the job well

Northwind

Is that 2 different colours intentionally, or did someone already break a swingarm?

ton

i feel ill………. 😉

wwaswas

Extra marks for having multiple sheds, though.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Which Transition ?

bellefied
    Free Member

😆 at this thread

Blower
    Free Member

intentionally north..

you love it Ton 😉

shaggmiester
    Free Member

mojo5pro – Member
    How’s the sizing? I’m 5′ 9″ with shortish legs. Have a 16″ five at the moment but thinking of 17″ in the Alpine as the the top tube looks pretty low.

POSTED 2 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

I’m 5ft 9″ too, had a 16″ in the five and got a 16″ in the alpine,which is the small size. The top tube is noticeably longer than the five but tracks the ground really well! In fact I have a patriot as well and the alpine seems to descends better than that, yet climbs more like the five, like I said, it’s an unbelievably good all round trail bike. The 16″ feels spot on for me, tried the 17″ but just felt too long.

hot_fiat

That purple is beautiful. Wonder if the oh would notice if I swapped out my frame?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Infact, I recall you once telling me that you know the five is one of the best trail bikes out there and that you only slag them off on here to wind folk up! So there you go!

Ton’s naughty, he said that to me as well!

shaggmiester
    Free Member

esselgruntfuttock – Member
    Infact, I recall you once telling me that you know the five is one of the best trail bikes out there and that you only slag them off on here to wind folk up! So there you go!

Ton’s naughty, he said that to me as well!

😆 he loves orange really! 😀

munkyboy
    Free Member

And the elephant in the room, what’s the frame weight with air shock.

Northwind

Blower – Member

intentionally north..

You proper weirdo.

wl
    Free Member

Don’t know frame weight but full RS build was 32lb with flats, Maxxis and Reverb. Seemed good to me.

Blower
    Free Member

opposite colour fork white same as rear, bla bla bla.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘2014 Orange Alpine, one word….’ is closed to new replies.