Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 2014 French Alps Road Cycling Trip
  • flippinheckler
    Free Member

For my 50th Birthday I am planning a trip to France to take in some if the iconic climbs in the French Alps. I probably will hire a bike over there and hope to do at least 3 or possibly 4 over a four day period. Should I choose one of the guided tours or just plan my own trip. Any advice and experiences would be much appreciated.

wallop

What’s the reasoning for hiring a bike rather than taking your own?

RickyRah
    Free Member

+1

I would take my own. I could think of nothing worse than climbing for 1-2 hours on a bike I wasn’t comfortable on.

We had a week in the Alps last summer. Cheap flights to Geneva and then got a hire car for the week. I don’t think you need guided tours to ride on the road. Just do a bit of research – it’s the best bit! There are some truly amazing and unusual climbs out there.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

There’s some decent enough hire bikes in Bourg De Osians, which just so happens to be the start of loads of the climbs, Alp D’Huez, Croix de Fer, Croix de Glandon, Alp D’Huez, Col du Galibier, the Marmotte route etc.

Its very easy just to plan your own routes, its not like MTB’ing where everything’s hidden away, and theres lots of cafes and stuff on the routes.

I’d take your own bike if you’re riding for 4 days. Hiring seems to make more sense when its not a cycling holiday but you still want to get a ride in one day.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Just thought it would be easier to hire a bike heard you can get some real quality bikes and can’t be doing with the hassle of get a bike bag/box or packing my own up.

Edukator
    Free Member

Hiring seems an excellent idea given the way airlines treat bikes. Take your own saddle and accurately measure saddle height and distance behind BB then any bike feels ok.

I’ll add the Isoard and Iseran to the list.

beej

Another couple: Madeleine, Cime de la Bonette.

recipher
    Free Member

Velovation.

jonk

Bourg De Osians is an ace base camp for roadies not that i am one like…..

Haze

Col d’Izoard is beautiful, can be done in a big loop from Briancon down to Guillestre then up and over.

Stunning riding all over, can’t wait to go back.

I’d certainly think more about taking your own bike, stick it on the rack and drive down…if there’s someone to share the driving you’re laughing 🙂

juan
    Free Member

Cime de la Bonette.

From bourg d’Oz, wow good luck with that. Make sure you bring a small rear light though. Road tunnel are deadly.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Try Velovation, they’re based in Morzine.

Or Bourg D Oisans is a good base.

peteimpreza

Drive to Le Bourg d’Oisans with your own bike.

The day you arrive do the Col d’Ornon to get the journey out of your legs.

Day 1 Alpe d’Huez
    Day 2 La Berade
    Day 3 Cols du Glandon and Crok de Fer
    Day 4 Col du Galibier via the Col du Lauteret

You won’t need to use your car at all whilst you are there to do these rides.

Eat well at the Tir Buchon.

Sip coffee and get free WiFi at the Cafe des Negotiants

If you want a suggestion for an apartment drop me am email(in profile)

Haze

And of course, Galibier from the Telegraphe side…

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Plenty to go on there perhaps driving over us not a bad idea or even the train hoping to get a few buddies along so will keep all options open.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Driving for four days is probably not worth it. Flying much easier. Although it depends where your based. I drove from Cumbria to Ventoux this year, that was too far. London to Morzine wouldnt be so bad though.

beej

Cime de la Bonette.
    From bourg d’Oz, wow good luck with that. Make sure you bring a small rear light though. Road tunnel are deadly.

Not suggesting from Bourg, I did it from Risoul on the way to Auron. It’s a nice climb, mental last km.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Traveling from North Wales so would be easier to fly prefer the option if hiring bikes, I know a couple who hired great bikes with DI2 in Italy so bound to be similar options in France.

peteimpreza

I will be in Bourg d’Oisans a week tomorrow , I will check out the hire bikes if you want.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

another +1 for velovation. had an excellent 3 days with them in june.

i reckon road holidays work better with a guide/van – i’d far rather do long climbs with just a couple of bottles, a tube, pump and multitool and going point to point than having to stay in one place (or drive each evening). certainly wouldn’t want to carry my stuff through the day.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

peteimpreza –
    I will be in Bourg d’Oisans a week tomorrow , I will check out the hire bikes if you want.

Yes please, look forward to hearing about your trip, one thing that’s putting me off is I hear food & drink is expensive especially in mountain regions in France.

peteimpreza

Re the food and drink, that’s not our experience, but we go self catering.

Restaurant prices are OK, and reasonable choice in the town.

Oh and drop me an email as a reminder.

bereavementmonkey
    Free Member

The TREK store at the top of alp d’heuz rents bikes out…. Think they even do the super top end ones as well!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘2014 French Alps Road Cycling Trip’ is closed to new replies.