Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • 2014 Croix de Fer – brake judder
  • spyke85
    Free Member

Anyone suffering from it? Starting to annoy me. All I can put it down too is the wavey shaped discs grabbing and releasing.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Slightly loose headset?

spyke85
    Free Member

Headset is good

Baznav
    Free Member

I think your on the right track with the disc, some are worse than others, I was looking at one the other day thinking it was bound to cause issues with judder as there were drastic diffrences in the pad contact area around the disc, can’t remember the brand though.

iainc

Mine is fine, but I did spend an age setting up the brakes. Maybe worth checking they are aligned and in tight ?

Jamie
    Free Member

I also seem to have this problem. Which is odd, as my 2014 Croix De Fer was a frame/fork build. Headset is nice and tight, i.e spacers won’t spin and any more and it will probably bind, so thinking it’s a brake issue.

Although I imagine I have different brakes to the OP, as running TRP SPyres with the rotors they came with:

Really ruined my first ride in yonks…bah 🙁

spyke85
    Free Member

I’ve changed rotors to Avid and the problem has gone

spyke85
    Free Member

I should add, have standard Hayes brakes as on the 2014 build. Original rotors have a wavey sort of pattern and can only presume the pads were grabbing and releasing as they moved over the waves

iainc

Mine don’t judder but there is a tinging noise often when I release lever.

Spyke – you got a link to the Avids you got ?

Jamie
    Free Member

I figured I would get some new discs, to see if it helped, but while I was waiting for them to arrive I read this blog. Guy was running same frame/forks/brakes as I was, albeit with different rotor, and started to have the same problem. Solved it, strangely, by applying some copper grease to the back of the pads. Being a master at straw clutching I tried it, and it has more or less solved the issue.

Annoyingly, its’s too late to cancel the rotors I have coming, but sadly I may still end up fitting them as they are RT76s and look quite pimp. 😳

spyke85
    Free Member

I tried an RT76 rotor but it fouled the Hayes caliper

Jamie
    Free Member

Interesting. Will see how the fit on the Spyres, if they foul they will just take them back to Halfords.

2 for £31 delivered, which was nice.

iainc

Spyke, I might get a pair of those rotors if you could point me in right direction please ? Cheers

spyke85
    Free Member

Just checked in the man cave. They are Avid G3CS rotors.

iainc

Thanks spyke

Found new ones for £18 for 2 on eBay so just ordered 🙂

spyke85
    Free Member

Interestingly I’m thinking changing to the Spyres. How often do you adjust them?

Jamie
    Free Member

Interestingly I’m thinking changing to the Spyres. How often do you adjust them?

Forgot all about this.

Answer = After initial set up, not touched them since.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘2014 Croix de Fer – brake judder’ is closed to new replies.