Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 125 total)
  • 2014 Boardman CXs
  • nickwatson
    Free Member

Looks like the frame is different from last year. For a start the rear brakes are within the seat/chain stays (which seems like a better design, and the braking loads can be shared by both parts of the rear triangle). I like it!

steve_b77
    Free Member

That’s where mine are on my 2013 one

cp

Looks like the frame is different from last year. For a start the rear brakes are within the seat/chain stays

You talking about the Boardman? That’s where they always been on the disc equipped CX.

Jamie
    Free Member

That’s where mine are on my 2013 one

Yup.

nickwatson
    Free Member

Fair enough, must have been lusting after something else last year 😳

Jamie
    Free Member

lusting

It’s a bike, dude 8)

MicArms

Tempted with this myself…what size if you’re 6 foot 2?

AlexSimon

MicArms – Member

Tempted with this myself…what size if you’re 6 foot 2?
    The Boardman’s are quite long.
    I’d be tempted to stick with the 55.5cm size, but have a good look at the geometry – maybe try a different bike and work out what length you like. I had to shorten my stem by 20mm on the 53cm (I’m 5’10”)

MicArms

Cheers Alex, just found a local halfords has a 55 in stock, so going for a look this afternoon.

Caher

went there yesterday to take a look before ordering. Did not have any bikes in stock but they said you can order whatever size and then try, if it is incorrect then you can order another there and then. Some new trade law for internet purchases.

MicArms

Well brought one today, got the halfords and the bcf discount so came in at 730! However got it home and swapping pedals around etc about to alter saddle height and there’s a crack in the paint work on the seat/top tube /rear stays cluster so taking it tomorrow..arse..
    Crack

MrTall
    Free Member

Looks like a great winter commuter Mic, I hope the wife knows you’ve bought it!!

I’ll pop around and have a look later this week (assuming Halfords sort out the frame).

ktmblag
    Free Member

Micarms can i ask where you purchased this from? i went to look at one in my local halfords and the one on display had a crack in the paint on the seat junction too…is there a trend

MicArms

it it was the store in Redditch. Steve, the boss was with me when I brought it.. I read the Chris Boardman interview over on road.cc and he said that the silver finish had caused them a few issues…

dmorts

What size did you buy? 55.5cm for 6’2″ sounds a bit small

ktmblag
    Free Member

it maybe a issue then this was one at sheffield mate

MicArms

The 55.5 cm is the same size as my 58 cm trek road frame. The boardmans do come up big as thinking about it my Mate is 6 foot 5 and is on a 57.5 cm boardman road bike.

stox
    Free Member

Are halfords likely to let me use my BC discount for a mate buying a CX??
    Plan is to be upfront about it since he could just as easily give me the cash and let me go in and get the bike so makes no odds to halfords I should think ..
    Anybody had any trouble doing this??

Bigmantrials

I had a look at the 2014 CX today in Halfords, Be Aware, The forks don’t have mounts on the dropout for mudguards like the 2013 model. This has disappointed me a bit as I do prefer the overall look and spec of the 2014 🙁

jonk

Just bought the 2014 CX Comp. I got the 10% off and when my bike came it had a tiny scratch on it so they gave me another 10% off and a free helemet!
    I got the 55cm which is about the same as my 57 road bike.
    The bike is very nice and good value for money but it is quite heavy weighing around 26lb.
    Riding wise, the BB area isn’t very stiff, the front fork deflects a bit when cornering hard and the standard tape is rubbish.
    The front wheel needs truing after 100 miles but everything else is good.
    For the money its fantastic.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

and there’s a crack in the paint work on the seat/top tube /rear stays cluster

funny seeing this thread pop up. In our local halfords yesterday, they had a ’14 Boardman CX bike in a stand being prepped for collection. Ally frame, CF forks, silver paint, lovely looking and about £1K I think, and Munqe Chick reckons a CX bike fits her n+1 so showed some interest. Guy building it waxed on about the filed welds (pointed to the seat tube junction) and how nice the finish was…

….and then went on to say they’d had SEVEN broken. Dont know if its a bad batch, bad courier or bad shipment but it sounded like some/all of them were bust out of the box. His manager did everything he could to shut him up (short of saying “shut up you idiot these are potential customers”…) but not before he’d already said they’d moved heaven and earth to get this particular (ie. non-broken?) one in for the customer.

I read the Chris Boardman interview over on road.cc and he said that the silver finish had caused them a few issues…

not read the interview (will dig it out in a mo) but “our” guy mentioned the silver was some ‘special’ finish where no 2 were the same. To be fair he didnt get time to clarify whether it was in fact only a paint crack but it didnt sound it from the description or his exasperation.

This is on Oxfordshire BTW.

Jamie
    Free Member

bad courier

7 broken? Must be using Trebuchet Couriers LTD.

26lb

Jesus! ..or should that be Buddha?

hounslow
    Free Member

Got an email today from Quality, ALL the 2014 CX Teams have to be checked for (superficial) cracks by the ST/TT junction. It’s the filler they put over the welds, not structural. All of ours are now quarantined. So good luck finding one. Supposed to be working on a solution but f*ck knows if/when that will be.

Jamie
    Free Member

So good luck finding one

Not sure I want to find one now.

I noticed they’ve already been removed from the website.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Hounslow appreciate the clarification, fits in with what I heard and others have said. Shame as they are lovely looking frames and Boardman have built a decent rep. Expect a load of unfilled, stripped raw frames in 6 months?

xcracer1
    Free Member

Micarms – did halfords replace the bike/frame??

chakaping
    Free Member

Hey halfords peeps, any idea if these issues are developing after a bit of riding or straight out of the box?

Jamie
    Free Member

Looks like this, apparently:

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Chapa, “mine” where out the box- they’d sold one and struggled to find one that wasn’t cracked (had to get another bike delivered to store beyond their initial shipment) to fulfill the sale. From what Hounslow said its endemic and theyre all being pulled now.

Rubber-Duck

You been buying more bikes Stace 😆

chakaping
    Free Member

Needed to cheer myself up with my broken arm Ed. Don’t judge me.

You must be pondering something yourself though, to have been reading this thread?

😉

chakaping
    Free Member

“mine” where out the box-

cheers, I’ll keep an eye on mine but it seems fine after a couple of short rides.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Fingers crossed, its a shame that it appears to be trying to pay more attention to detail cosmetically that has backfired.

laughingontheinside
    Free Member

Have any cracks been found on the Boardman CX Comp or is it just the Team that seems to have this problem ? According to the website and release info both bikes have the same frame.

Caher

bought mine a week ago and still waiting for the store to get it in. Good heads up on the cracked frames. 🙁

xcracer1
    Free Member

Im going to take mine back in tomorrow as there is a small crack between the top and seat tube, see what they say. Bit of a hassle really as it is a 2 hr round trip to my nearest store.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Caher you’ll be waiting a while according to hounslows post….

MicArms

Ok, took my bike back to Halfords on the Monday, and a new one was requested in. Picked it up wednesday, and said I would build it myself. get it back home, there was still a crack in the finish on the ST/TT junction, non drive side but a lot smaller, and I couldn’t be arsed **** around so placed a circular helicopter patch on it to cover it and prevent water / mud ingress etc.
    Wife was out so bike stand in the front room..
    Set about building it up, changed the 50t chingring to a 46, took off the chicken levers and fitted new brake outers. redid the tape, fitted my time pedals, changed the tyres. Set up the back brake.
    Came to fit the front wheel, removed the plastic insert/ spacer from the forks.. and ‘laughed’ in a sweary way as one half of the drop outs came away with it. I forgot to take a pic,, but looked like it was done when the plastic drop out spacer was inserted with a hammer or something!!

Called the store, they stripped off the forks form the bike i returned on Monday and i did a straight swap..
    finally built up and it rides fine…

windjammer
    Free Member

spent the last few months reading reports on cross bikes and decided to go for a boardman bike i picked up my bike on wednesday night and discoverd the back wheel was like a egg not realy round and true so complained about that and got the halfords guy to order me a new one,took the bike away and started taking the crappy brake levers off the top of the handlebars.
    went and bought some road tyres and full mudgaurds on the friday after work then started to fit all the new things to my great bike must have spent a fair few hours setting it all up and fitting lights and adjusting the stem,decided to go for a quick spin around the block,it felt great and made me smile loads.

had a quick look on this forum to tell everyone how good the bike was and to post a picture but then i saw the post about the frame cracking near the seat tube/top tube junction and decided to have a look at my bike and discoverd a big crack simalair to the one pictured on here,it was about 1am last night i felt well pissed off.

took the bike back and got a full refund no questions asked,it was less hassle asking for my money back than it was picking the bike up lol.
    i gave the guy a bit of a sob story saying id spent a couple of nights changing the tyres and fitting mudgaurds and various other things,i also said i would be getting my solicitor involved in getting some compensation back for the loss of fun and enjoyment,he soon offered me the older model for the same price of 809 pounds and he would throw in some free accesories.
    would it be worth getting the older model are there any reasons not to buy the 2012 model.matt

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Compensation for the loss of fun and enjoyment? How much you hoping to claw back?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 125 total)

The topic ‘2014 Boardman CXs’ is closed to new replies.