Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 125 total)
  • 2014 Boardman CXs
  • Jamie
    Free Member

Seem quite nice. I do wish they had upgraded from BB5s, though. Frame looks the same, but there is a XS small option now.

Also, all bikes are currently 10% off at the moment. Not sure if this can be used with the British Cycling discount as well.

£899 (£809)

£599 (£540)

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/cx/index.html

Houns

£599 version looks great.

Jamie
    Free Member

What I was thinking. Ditch the brakes, fit BB7s or TRP Spyres, and you have a sorted little bike for less than £650.

Houns

And they have the road team carbon back at £999.99, will have to get saving

AlexSimon

That cheaper CX bike could be £485 if the BC discount works on top.
    Looks like a proper bargain!

chakaping
    Free Member

What I was thinking. Ditch the brakes, fit BB7s or TRP Spyres, and you have a sorted little bike for less than £650.

Alloy fork though, if that matters to you.

Jamie
    Free Member

Alloy fork though, if that matters to you.

Y’know. I just assumed it would have carbon/alloy fork, as the Team has the full carbon.

chakaping
    Free Member

Has anyone managed to secure the BC discount on top of the online discount when collecting from store?

cp

yes, the BC discount applies ON TOP of any other discount or sales pricing.

Use a card registered with quidco for even more money off (after about 6 months)

cp

looks like the frame/fork is the same with a different paint job, same geometry as previous model. You get a 10mm shorter stem on the Large bike, not sure on the others.

Team version is pretty much a different paint job, and different wheels/tyres (they were Ritchey)

AlexSimon

Use a card registered with quidco for even more money off (after about 6 months)

Yes, that was a nice surprise when I got another £35 off my CX.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nice, but I’d probably want to upgrade a lot of the stuff on there. Be nice to see another model further up the range, or maybe an Elite series one.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yep me too, but it’ll do.

Are BB5s that bad then?

will
    Free Member

Ah not only can I get 10% BC discount I can also get another 10% discount through work! And I was looking at a CX bike, shame a house move is making me skint!

bails

Are BB5s that bad then?

Got them on my Team CX, they’re absolutely fine.

cp

Are BB5s that bad then

No, not at all. I find them great – no rub, powerful enough to lock wheels without pop-eye’s arms. Not the most beautiful things to look at but very functional.

Pads are a bit fiddly, that’s about the only real downside. As I mentioned the other day, the only reason to upgrade IMO is to get something lighter or a full hydraulic system – which is going to cost!

It’s a shame they dont come with Shimano kit – I pulled the SRAM Apex shifters and rear mech off mine and put Shimano 105 on.

I also changed the chainrings to be use specific – 50/38 on the road, and single ring 40 or 42, I can’t remember, for racing.

chakaping
    Free Member

that’s what I wanna hear!

cp
    mrblobby
    Free Member

What do folk reckon of the Apex. Had a play with some Apex shifters in the LBS and they seemed flimsy and a bit fiddly. But then I’m use to Shimano and it’s probably just that they are different.

chakaping
    Free Member

I have a set of VGC 105 shifters and mechs which I could use, but they wouldn’t work with the 32t rear sprocket

hmmmm

steve_b77
    Free Member

I really rate the apex on mine, very positive and not even slightly flimsy feeling at all.

AlexSimon

mrblobby – Member

What do folk reckon of the Apex. Had a play with some Apex shifters in the LBS and they seemed flimsy and a bit fiddly. But then I’m use to Shimano and it’s probably just that they are different.
    I don’t get on with it at all. BB5s have been fidly too.
    I’m going to try upgrading and locking down the cables to see if it helps.

scotroutes

Still looking around now that the Giant is a no-no Jamie?

Have you considered something from On One/Planet X?

Houns

My 105 shifter and rear mech work fine with my 34t

Jamie
    Free Member

Still looking around now that the Giant is a no-no Jamie?

There are currently words being had on the Giant, so it may go from being a no-no, to a go-go.

Thing is, I always liked the Boardman, just wanted a slightly smaller frame, and they have now released one. Given all the discounts available, it looks like the Team could be had for £700ish…which ain’t too bad.

Have you considered something from On One/Planet X?

I did, but was put off by a few things. Nothing major, before Brant kills me while I sleep 8)

chakaping
    Free Member

My 105 shifter and rear mech work fine with my 34t

Medium cage mech?

Houns

Nope, short

bigrich

I love my 2012 team cx. did this on it today http://app.strava.com/activities/86592954

chakaping
    Free Member

interesting cheers houns

DT78
    Free Member

they look a proper bargain. looks like you can fit guards to them as well so could be good for a do it all commuter

cp

they look a proper bargain. looks like you can fit guards to them as well so could be good for a do it all commuter

you can indeed, they are a brilliant all rounder. As I mentioned, I use mine as a winter road bike with GP 4 season 28mm & guards, 11-27 cassette & 50/38 rings and then weekend race mode is single ring 40 or 42 with 11-32 cassette and pro2/crest rim’d wheels off the summer MTB & a shorter stem 🙂

cloudnine
    Free Member

Have you seen the canyon cx bike?

Stranga
    Free Member

It says you have to pay online then collect in store……so how can you claim the BC 10%?

Jamie
    Free Member

Have you seen the canyon cx bike?

Road.cc had a look at the middle of the range Infinite AL 80.

http://road.cc/content/news/95300-just-canyon-inflite-al-80

cp

It says you have to pay online then collect in store

only way to do it is find a store that actually has it in stock, then you have the option to reserve online and pay in store.

AlexSimon

There’s also the new CAADX 105 disk

codybrennan
    Free Member

Would you still get the discount if you were using a Cycle to Work voucher?

mrblobby
    Free Member

That CAADX 105 disk does look rather good. Anyone used those Promax Render brakes?

chakaping
    Free Member

I have succumbed.

Thanks for advice chaps.

Jamie
    Free Member

I have succumbed.

Thanks for advice chaps.

So you’ll be getting it Friday? Did you/can you stack the discounts?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 125 total)

The topic ‘2014 Boardman CXs’ is closed to new replies.