Viewing 40 posts - 2,641 through 2,680 (of 3,963 total)
  • 2013/14 Rugby Thread
  • anagallis_arvensis

I see Bath have signed Burgess or England have or something. I saw some stats recently and if he plays 12 he’ll be bigger than Roberts 😯

ekul
    Free Member

In fairness I don’t think many will be bigger than him! Be interesting to see how he copes with the smaller steppy players running at/round him. In league he seems to just deal with the big fellas just running straight at him (and deals with them very well!!) whereas in union he’ll have to deal more with the more agile runners.

A hell of an athlete though, I can’t wait to see him in action.

DanW
    Free Member

I see Bath have signed Burgess or England have or something. I saw some stats recently and if he plays 12 he’ll be bigger than Roberts

6kg and 3cm difference if you believe Wikipedia (which we’ve discussed the accuracy of in the past!). 13cm taller but 4kg lighter than Bastereaud if you believe Wiki. Proof that being a big lump doesn’t necessarily translate to destructiveness at Centre 😉

SBW isn’t far off any of these guys as far as the numbers go either yet you don’t tend to think of him as a big guy due to his agileness and offloads. Lots of variety in how a big lump can play Centre! 😆

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    anagallis_arvensis

Basteraud could easily lose 4kg of lard though! He’s broken for fridays game with Wales, shame as it will means Fickou starts and he scares the hell out of me especially if up against a very rusty Davies or North who has only played about one whole match at 13 in his life.

tinybits
    Free Member

Our Gav doesn’t seem to get much of a look in as Bath seem to have a lot of good centres as well as flyhalves (Daddy isn’t going to drop George Ford anytime soon!) Can’t imagine he’ll still be there next season.

Burgess looks to be a complete monster. Decent step, good pass and even a bit of pace from the highlight reels on you tube. If he can convert, then having Tuilagi and Burgess running at you is going to give you a hell of a headache, however it’s a big if, not many league players have made the really successful switch and I’m not holding my breath, although obviously there’s some hope!

DanW
    Free Member

Irish Rugby needs to get a decent PR/ Media person ASAP. Gareth Thomas/ Nigel Owens/ anyone living in the real world in 2014 may wish to have a word with Kevin Francis some time. “Gay people have no interest in sport”

ekul
    Free Member

Well its fairly clear that he wants to compare himself to SBW and even he took about 3 years to really get a grasp of Union. I can’t help but think Sam has left it a little late, he doesn’t come over until October, so he’s not going to be ready for the AI’s. 6 nations are going to be a huge push, and then he’s only got til the summer really to make his mark. Having said that, I think Lancaster will have him in the EPS for all of that just so he can see how he’s developing first hand.

As said above though the prospect of Sam breaking the line and then offloading to Tuilagi running at a scrambling defence is going to cause some defensive headaches for opponents.

On the other hand I think SL has learnt his lesson recently that having two crash and bash centres doesn’t offer as much as a ball handling 12. So it could be him and Tuilagi fighting for one place. Not a bad dilemma to have as not many weary defences would want to see either one of them taking off their tracksuit and warming up.

anagallis_arvensis

Francis is an utter ****, always has been always will be
    Nigel Owens ?@Nigelrefowens 8h
    Disappointing to read Neil Francis comments. There are loads of gay people in sport. Most are just not out. Wish they wd stop stereotyping

Nigel Owens ?@Nigelrefowens 6m
    Sport is for all. No matter who you are or where your from. Many gay people play sport at all levels. Just most have chosen not to come out

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Does Francis work for the IRFU? I thought he was a journalist & broadcaster.

loum
    Free Member

DanW – Member
    Irish Rugby needs to get a decent PR/ Media person ASAP.

Why’s that DanW?

DanW
    Free Member

Sorry, I meant it as a light hearted, tenuous link to the previous discussion of BOD’s choice of words about Gatland in the build up to the Wales game. There was some discussion of needing some better media training to avoid emotive words or similar.

I guess I need someone to help me with my PR/ Media 😀

anagallis_arvensis

So Davies not recovered and Beck knackered too added to Scott Williams, Cory Allan and Owen Williams all crocked Wales have a serious problem at 13. Between Hook or North I’d say. I’d go Hook 13 and keep North on the wing, so no doubt North will go to 13 and Liam Williams will go to wing. Williams is a trier but not international class. Could put Hook to 15, 1/2p to wing and have North to 13.

Good news is that Charteris is fit.

DanW
    Free Member

North is wasted in the centres, especially for his level of experience there and to be alongside Roberts. Logic says get Hook in there as you say a_a!

Bear
    Free Member

Burgess has got to get in at centre for Bath first, they aren’t short of a decent centre at the moment – Eastmond, JJ and Devoto are all young and very good prospects.

tinybits
    Free Member

And Gav, don’t forget about Gav!

anagallis_arvensis

tinybits
    Free Member

Interesting when Bath announce there team on the apt annoy, super fav get booed, from his own supporters.
    That’s quite a talent!

jambalaya
    Free Member

@tinybits – not surprising he gets booed given his history of anti-English remarks, he’s generally seen as an all round knob by many (quote from Bath fan friend of mine). He even upset the French by having a pop at Wilkinson when he was, very briefly, at Toulon.

Bear
    Free Member

Even his coaches have been known to have a pop at his waterproof tan….

Saying that he came on Saturday and I think won the crucial turnover on the Bath line in the last 5 mins. He was signed as cover for 2 positions, can’t see him being needed now with Ford, Heathcote, Devoto all playing 10. JJ, Eastmond, Devoto, Banahan & Burgess covering centre. although with Abendenon off might need full back cover?

anagallis_arvensis

and yet if you go on a bath fan forum even the skeptics seem to be impressed with how he has handled himself this season and hasnt let them down when asked to play 10, 12, 13 or 15 or kick goals. He has also been thoroughly committed playing for the seconds too.
    http://www.rugbynetwork.net/boards/read/s105.htm?1469,14575409

tinybits
    Free Member

I actually think he’s played well this season, better than for a long time. Still quite surprised at the reception at the rec, even Austin Healy and Johnno didn’t get that – from the oppersition!

vondally
    Free Member

Mr Burgess…………………not many of the league fans I work with are impressed by him, be intresting to see how he goes on…………what position?

tinybits
    Free Member

If he’s got pace, then it’d be centre. Probably outside depending on distribution skills (including kicking).
    He won’t be a forward, it’ll take too long to adjust and he won’t outplay the England backrow in that position in the tight.

anagallis_arvensis

I actually think he’s played well this season, better than for a long time.

[quote]

He was quite brilliant on occasions for welsh last year but got broken a lot. Has been solid this season but hasnt ever been really given a run of games in one position. Most likely off to the Dregs with Matt Morgan next season.

Albanach
    Free Member

Scot XV: Hogg Seymour Dunbar Scott Lamont Weir Laidlaw; Grant Lawson Low RGray Hamilton Wilson Fusaro Beattie
    Scot bench: Ford Dickinson Cross Swinson Denton Cusiter Taylor Evans

Still no sign of Kelly Brown!? Scott Johnson is a total clown, if I was. Vern Cotter I’d be running a mile.

anagallis_arvensis

On a positive note Seymour looks handy!

ijs445ra
    Free Member

It is baffling. I think Swinson has been better than Hamilton but Swinson drops out. Wilson has not been great but Brown and Denton are dropped when either could do a job at 6.

I do agree that Lawson should start at Hooker though.

daniebike
    Free Member

Swinson is totally better than Hamilton, no questions about that.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Cusiter signs 2yr deal with Sale, another ageing Scot :/

duckman

Ha ha dwarf,he is broken more than that car that started top gear on Sunday! Wee Gray was bloody good against Cardiff,suspect Hamilton got the nod because of his experience and bulk. To beat Italy we will have to nullify their pack. Brown at 6 would’ve been better than Wilson,but Johnston has to appear to be pursuing some tactical masterplan that only knows about.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Cusiter that desperate to get out of Salmonds utopia he’s moved to Salford!
    Between him & Nathan Hines, i won’t be surprised to find out our next signing is William Webb Ellis!

tiggs121
    Free Member

I’d have had Cusiter in for Laidlaw, Evans for Lamont, both Gray brothers, back row of Fusaro, Denton and Beattie.

It’s the stand off position that is really worrying. Sadly, Weir may be the best we’ve got!

Looks like Mr Johnson has a secret plan that only he knows! I suspect he won’t eve tell the players about either.

Kelly Brown will probably never play for Scotland again.

dontdropthesoap
    Free Member

I’m a league fan and gutted Burgess has gone. I’m sure he’ll go fine in union. He’s a monster in both attack and defence
    If you’ve got a spare 45 mins, check out the Slammin’ Sam documentary he did last year. Good insight into his life.

anagallis_arvensis

He’ll hav to learn how to.tackl properly judging by som o the “hits” I’ve seen on ewetube

muddydwarf
    Free Member

That’s if he can grasp the Union game – being a good League player doesn’t mean he’ll grasp what is a very different game.

dontdropthesoap
    Free Member

Tackling should be ok. League banned the shoulder charge a season or two back.

Bear
    Free Member

bits I’ve seen of him he uses bulk to get past people, especially as defences are 10 yards away, defender will be in his face far quicker so no chance to build momentum.
    Also he’s big, but then so are all the forwards in union so people will be able to put him on the floor quickly.

Kryton57

Hmmm. Even with his current not so great form, Cole will be missed against Ireland. This means England really don’t have ANYONE playing anywhere near like a 7 at all. I see turnovers being won by Ireland, England going backward, England bashing forward. I think England will win by a small margin.

ekul
    Free Member

+1 for the slammin Sam documentary, really good.

having watched some of his tries i think he’ll do alright, for all his size and power he is quite agile and steps out of a lot of tackles. His determination to get over the gain line/try line is pretty scary! He just shrugs people off!

still think he’s left it a bit late though. If he wanted to play in the world cup he should have come now and gone back to league a season earlier if theyre his plans.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,641 through 2,680 (of 3,963 total)

The topic ‘2013/14 Rugby Thread’ is closed to new replies.