Viewing 40 posts - 2,281 through 2,320 (of 3,963 total)
  • 2013/14 Rugby Thread
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

An embarrassingly bad display from Scotland especially the second half.

Agreed. Ireland were good, but the scoreline flattered as a result of the Scottish (lack of) performance, IMO.

So, week one over?
    England – Very good indeed, but just pipped. Lots to be happy with, though.
    France – Typical France. Brilliant, awful, brilliant. But, stuck it out.
    Ireland – Solid, dependable stuff. A decent bet for a championship, I’d say.
    Wales – Average at best. Enough to win, but not enough to set hearts aflutter. Will need a big improvement for next weekend.
    Italy – Excellent. As said in the paper today, they’ll cause a problem for any team if they can keep playing like that.

anagallis_arvensis

Scott Johnson is a numpty head coach.

duckman

Thankfully we have had Matt Williams as head coach,so Jonstoned isn’t that bad.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Solid performance from the green machine minus SOB and POC. The Irish back row were good. The line out didn’t struggle as much as I thought it might.

Both Kearneys had good games. Rob is like a man reborn this last year. His try was more down to missed tackles than his strength though. Good performances from the back row. Healey’s run was great to see. Nothing like seeing a prop with a bit of fresh air ahead of him. I was impressed with his short turn of speed. 😀 So, nothing stellar – both Wales and Ireland had plenty left in the tank for next week’s game. I’m glad it’ll be over and done with early – sick of the media going on NAND on and on and on and on and on about it.

Scotland need players to break lines like North and Desperate Dan. They’re having to offload everything, a high risk gamble that isn’t paying off for them against strong defences.

Joubert’s brief chat with Hamilton was about the most entertaining thing in the game. 😆

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Joubert’s brief chat with Hamilton was about the most entertaining thing in the game.

That certainly had us chuckling!

DanW
    Free Member

There were a few painful moments when Joubert attempted talking to the players like Nigel Owens, especially at scrum time, and ended up sounding more like David Cameron and his “call me Dave, I’m just a normal person” routine. Very, very painful to listen to 😀

BlindMelon
    Free Member

A few more from Joubert here:

“Jamie I want to explain that to you. It’s a collapsed maul, blue has no obligation to roll away.” – Joubert to Ireland captain Jamie Heaslip after Ireland had an early attempt on the Scottish line foiled.

“Keep an eye on seven, he’s going down and we’re not getting a chance to go at the ball.” – Heaslip pleads for some closer policing on Kelly Brown.

“There’s quite a lot of talk coming from the rest of the boys. I’m quite happy to leave it between you and me.” – Joubert warns Ireland.

“You are not going to buy a free kick by moving your head, once you are down stay there.” – Joubert to Scotland prop Moray Low at scrum time. 😯

“I realise it’s tough but I’m setting a high standard.” – Joubert to Devin Toner after Ireland concede a first half penalty.

“Entire backline coming up before the ball is off the top of the line out, off side.” – Joubert awards the penalty that puts Ireland 6-3 up.

“Stop yelling at me.” – The South African referee calls for calm.

“Is he coming on now? You’re welcome.” – An impossibly polite Joubert welcomes Max Evans to the game.

“Mike you are going to monitor this side.” – After another problem at scrum-time, the ref enlists the help of touch judge Mike Fraser for scrum.

“Are you happy with what happened to 15 there?” – Joubert asks the question of his touch judge after Rob Kearney is hit in the build-up to Andrew Trimble’s try.

“We’re getting some really good engagements so let’s make every one a good one. We can do that? Of course we can.” – More set-piece problems after the restart.

“The fact of the matter is that every time there is something, you are involved.” – Joubert scolds Jim Hamilton after Scotland concede another penalty.

“Who will be your new captain? Kelly is gone?” – Joubert to Duncan Weir after Kelly Brown’s withdrawal.

“I have shouted as loud as I can.” – Joubert explains a decision to a frustrated Sexton.

toys19
    Free Member

What about Nigel Owens, he was awesomely funny “You are both being very immature” was a classic line to be broadcast on national TV. Does any body have a link to a clip of that?
    BTW He is a good ref, the best I think.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

“Is he coming on now? You’re welcome.” – An impossibly polite Joubert welcomes Max Evans to the game.

🙂 I missed that one.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Missed that one, Toys!

I still love this, though;
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YUF9LSXAkY[/video]

toys19
    Free Member

Missed that one, Toys!

Two back rowers going handbags for a good while, Owens finally separates them and tells them how immature they are and need to get back to playing the game, with some implied threat. Was hilarious. Also they cut to Lancaster’s face which was mucho disapproving of the sillyness.

That vid is good, seen it before. “This is not Soccer” Quality words.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

“You are both being very immature”

Aye, that was a class.

Thought Scotland did OKish in the first half, lack of cutting edge as usual, but we at least played with a bit of pace and urgency.

2nd half was awful. And the line out, scrum and attacking movement were pish throughout.

Going to need a lot of work to avoid the wooden spoon this year going by that performance.

richmtb

Aye Scotland were poor, did nothing with 2/3rds of the ball in the first half and then were just very poor in the second, far too many turnovers.

I did enjoy the referee and big Jim Hamilton’s exchange though, nice to see he was polite enough to call the ref “sir”

Tom-B
    Free Member

Did anyone else hear Owens ask an England player 36 I think. “You didn’t know that, how long have you been playing for?” Haha

DanW
    Free Member

Yep, caught that Tom 😀 Very funny stuff but entirely appropriate and not at all pretentious or patronising like it might sound coming from other refs

Pigface
    Free Member

Has anyone seen that a Crosskeys RFC player has been jailed for 12 months for a on pitch fight. Seems strange that this happened but when young Quinnell lost an eye playing against Crosskeys nothing was done.

Players name is Rhys Peebles

duckman

Bearing in mind you would be looking at 3 years for costing somebody their sight,l am quite glad police didn’t make an arrest without clear proof. I played my last season at 39 when my school club was reformed,there were a couple of us older lads l had played beside for 30 odd years. Any of them did that on a pitch,teammate or not I would sing like a canary. There is something not quite right about people who gouge eyes or twist limbs to break them.

novaswift
    Free Member

Scotland were desperate. When clean ball was there the backs were clueless. I despair watching this lot. Not holding much hope but a vast improvement is required next week

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

WALES (v Ireland) Leigh Halfpenny (Cardiff Blues), Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues), Scott Williams (Scarlets), Jamie Roberts (Racing Metro), George North (Northampton Saints), Rhys Priestland (Scarlets), Mike Phillips (Racing Metro), Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues), Richard Hibbard (Ospreys), Adam Jones (Ospreys), Andrew Coombs (Newport Gwent Dragons), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Dan Lydiate (Racing Metro), Sam Warburton (capt – Cardiff Blues), Taulupe Faletau (Newport Gwent Dragons).

Replacements: Ken Owens (Scarlets), Paul James (Bath Rugby), Rhodri Jones (Scarlets), Jake Ball (Scarlets), Justin Tipuric (Ospreys), Rhys Webb (Ospreys), James Hook (Perpignan), Liam Williams (Scarlets)

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Wales by 10.

Pigface
    Free Member

Is Biggar broken? Priestland is a liability 🙁

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

DD, I wish I could share that optimistic prediction.
    I fear another drubbing for Wales, sadly.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Ireland will win but not by much.

Interesting article looking at the domestic/international fortunes in Ire/wales

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/wales-operation-transformation-spells-trouble-for-ireland-29976336.html

anagallis_arvensis

The loss of Girafferis is a blow, makes the pack look a bit lightweight.

Scamper
    Free Member

Andy Hazell Gloucester Legend, forced to retire today. 17 odd seasons at one club and on record saying he’d swap his England caps for a Gloucester Premiership title. At one time arguably the best 7 in the country – should have really played more for England. Vickery got a good send off on match day a season or two ago when Wasps visited, but this will be massive.

ElVino

The loss of Girafferis is a blow, makes the pack look a bit lightweight.

it’s not your lightweight forwards we are worried about, it is your giant backs. I’m still pretty hopeful Ireland can win but it should be close.

anagallis_arvensis

Ireland should be able to strangle Wales upfront.

toys19
    Free Member

Ireland should be able to strangle Wales upfront.

We live in hope..

fathomer

More classic Owen’s 😀
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ko1T0cbLSGo[/video]

BlindMelon
    Free Member

So Tomas O’Leary is trying to sue the IRFU over an eye injury sustained when a bungee cord snapped and hit him in the eye

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/ireland/article1370954.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2014_02_01

The IRFU should counter claim for him impersonating a scrum half.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Ire team for sat:

R Kearney; A Trimble, B O’Driscoll, G D’Arcy, D Kearney; J Sexton, C Murray; C Healy, R Best, M Ross; D Toner, P O’Connell; P O’Mahony, C Henry, J Heaslip.

Replacements: S Cronin, J McGrath, M Moore, D Tuohy, T O’Donnell, I Boss, P Jackson, F McFadden.

Can’t wait, should be a great game.

anagallis_arvensis

Scott Williams turns down a central contract and commits to scarlets for two more years. Makes you wonder if thw wru’s plan is to try and keep talent in wales why are they bidding against scarlets. In other news the erc are witholding payments to clubs for the european cup… are they getting ready for going bust?

anagallis_arvensis

Oh and rugby yes. Er think that team will be too strong up front and in what is likely to be a mud fest should win.

Albanach
    Free Member

Kelly Brown dropped from match day squad…seems very harsh as he didn’t seem to have too bad a game? He’s not a 7 though…

anagallis_arvensis

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Brown situation is bizarre was only going to be picked at 7 and only if he was best 7, which he is not, so why make him captain.

Glad fusaro and Scott are in would have liked Cusiter and Beattie in for Laidlaw and Denton as well. Few others I am sure would have been chopped if we had any depth in the Scottish game.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Why is Cusiter warming the bench? Laidlaw brings nothing to the game.

My prediction is it’ll be an appalling game played on an awful pitch in terrible weather…….

On a different note – Sam Burgess, any good? I’ve not watched much League over the last few years.

I read on the Daily Mail Website (yeah, I know 😳 ) that he’s signed for Bath, partially funded by the RFU.

I realise he’s a star in RL but then so were Andy Farrell and Henry Paul. It seems that great League players who aren’t quick enough to play wing/fullback and can’t learn the technical aspects of playing in the pack get stuck at inside centre when “fast tracked” into the England side. Barrie Jon Mather anyone?

Garry_Lager

Is the Burgess move confirmed? Big surprise to hear – he’s an elite NRL player in Sydney and I thought his whole family had emigrated there. Seems a desperate move by England – are they that limited in these positions? It’s doubtful if Burgess has ever played a game of union in his life. He is 25, though, so right at the peak of his game.

If you were building a cyborg rugby league forward it would pretty much look like Sam Burgess – phenomenal player. How this translates to playing centre in RU I have no idea – suspect badly as I would have thought you need to be more agile to defend SH centres running around you. Obv no one is running over Sam Burgess.

Could he not play flanker?

Kryton57

Never mind. England will thrash the Scots, that is all. Its a forgone conclusion so I’m not too excited about it.

However, Wales/Ireland – I’ll be cheering Ireland who in my mind should win. I have a feeling Ireland/England and Wales/France are the deciders this year.

anagallis_arvensis

Flanker would require the learning of far too many new skills.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,281 through 2,320 (of 3,963 total)

The topic ‘2013/14 Rugby Thread’ is closed to new replies.