Viewing 40 posts - 1,841 through 1,880 (of 3,963 total)
  • 2013/14 Rugby Thread
  • wrecker
    Free Member

Prefer robshaw but stefon (and Wallace, Clark and a good few others) are better players than kvesic.

Bear
    Free Member

Wrecker – been very impressed by Wallace from what I’ve seen of him. seem to remember England taking an age to pick Back because they got wrapped up in the whole size issue and forgot to look at what he brought to the team in other areas.
    Not suggesting that Wallace is the answer just think they are wrapped up in the whole big is best mentality still.

Pigface
    Free Member

So D day passed with no agreement between regions and WRU, quelle surprise

So now the WRU are going to set up new regions? WTF people reluctantly bought into that idea can’t see them doing it again. Where are they going to play? Who is going to play for them.

I hope one is called the Flamingos, i would support a team called the flamingos, they could be based in Torfaen. Oooh think about it The Torfaen Flamingos, it’s the future.

duckman

That was never going to end well,still won’t no matter where the Welsh end up. Surely threatening to create new regional sides is going to force the clubs hands,why can’t the WRU fund the pro teams and accept that they are the figurehead of the game and have a positive impact on the national side,profit or not? We do,it will be a cold day in hell before either of the Scottish sides break even,but the SRU swallow it. The Irish do as well,even though the provinces have been embraced by the supporters.

anagallis_arvensis

If the wru win pro rugby in wales will be dead before the end of theagrement.

anagallis_arvensis

Not qsure it will foce anything. Premership and bt have offerred equal funding and that has the posdibility of growing the game rather than letting it whither and die playing glasgow and connaught on a wet friday.

duckman

Or equally boring,Cardiff and Zebre anytime.Actually that might not be as bad,bottom of the table dogfight/chance for revenge for Cardiff after being the only side to lose to them and all that.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Steffon A has played well in the games I’ve seen but he looks a fair bit too chunky for an international lIMO. I’m not sure he has the speed about the field either required for that level.

WRU / Regions indeed looks a right mess. Not so Happy New Year !

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

The Irish do as well,even though the provinces have been embraced by the supporters.

The key difference duckie being that provincial rugby in Ireland has quite a bit of history before Rabo/Pro/BeerCup. With the arrival of European rugby though, the interest certainly went up and the fans went to the grounds in numbers to watch. Even Connaught are improving somewhat. Provincial rugby has been fantastic for the green machine, instead of depending on a lucky crop of players to come together every few decades to have something to shout about.

I suppose Wales winning a few grand slams without the regions being successful means the fans have to be convinced in other ways to embrace the regions. Generally rugby fans in Ireland will nail their colours to two masts – their province and their national side, with some die-hards also supporting their individual club sides.

What’s the story with Welsh fans? Can the national side keep delivering GS and 6N trophies without the regions being successful? How have they managed to be so successful in recent years with the regions being in the doldrums? (Qs for the welsh contingent)

Pigface
    Free Member

IMO I don’t think the regions have been bad for the game in Wales quite the opposite. Graham Henry was the driving force behind the regions and he knew something about rugby 😆

I am happy for our stars to go overseas as it means the young players get blooded in Rabo games.

The public like the regions in general Parc y Scarlets is heaving when big games come along, it is just that the Rabo doesn’t give you that many big games. I think ticket prices are to high.

Ospreys have done ok won the league a few times. The glaring problem is with European success, Wales has had very little. How many English clubs have won it? Ireland have done very well in Europe why is that? Lots of foreign players? Tax breaks so wages are higher? You tell me DD?

gordimhor

Happy New Year and once again come on the warriors 😀

wrecker
    Free Member

Pigface, I think English clubs have won the HC as many times as the Irish and French.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Honours even though apart from the Wasps victory a few years back, Ireland and France have lorded it for the last decade. English clubs were successful in the early years of the competition when the likes of Leicester cheated their way to victory a few times. 😆

Interestingly, the French normally provide the losing finalist.

anagallis_arvensis

Welsh regions have done a good job of bringing on welsh talent (and english and tongan ;-). ) missed out on the Vunipolas though. Its just the rabo does not provide any attraction for sponsors or fans and the welsh regions get less cash than either the scottish or irish teams. The lack of wru funding and lack of decent games has meant any investors have drifted away. The rabo is stuck in a positive feedback loop of decline as welsh stars leave so do the fans then the irish teams send over Leinster b who still beat the blues and more fans drift off.

Pigface
    Free Member

And Wasps had to rely on a Welshie 😆

Sorry I just can’t remember an English team winning recently.

duckman

One advantage of the rabo is that it rests international players. Sexton played 10 games last season,so far he has played 13 this year. Take somebody like Warburton who is a bit easily broken,will French rugby not,while improving intensity,reduce the number of players available. We have had a similar situation with Beattie/Strokosch.

anagallis_arvensis

You’re right its an advantage to the national team but not for the regions as they.want to grow the game and have top players playing.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Great start for Ulster hey DD?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Someone’s singing when they’re winning is it? Pfft…typical Ulster fan.

There’s a Heineken Cup game next week we have to worry about BM. It’s a competition in which we have real pedigree. You might know the feeling one day.

anagallis_arvensis

With all the shite going on I’d forgotten about the rugby. Good game here:

http://www.s4c.co.uk/clic/e_live.shtml

duckman

DD,wrong tense..”had” is the correct one to use in your mob’s case 😈

Pigface
    Free Member

Woohoo doing the double over the scabs 😆 very happy with that.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Suppose you need to worry…make sure you qualify for the next round.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

DD,wrong tense..”had” is the correct one to use in your mob’s case

No tense at all for you duckie. 😛

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

BlindMelon – Member
    Suppose you need to worry…make sure you qualify for the next round.

20 point clear lead to finish a relieved 29-19. That’s a great result for the orangemen over their more successful provincial cousins. I think we’ll be alright for the next round (famous last words)…Ulster look like they will too…just normally expect an early capitulation from them shorty after. 🙂

Now how does the song go again?

“Sing when yer winnin’, ye only sing when…”

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Hardly relieved. Would have been a lot more had the ref not been AA’s best pal.

£20 to your nominated charity if we don’t go further than you lot in the beer cup?

anagallis_arvensis

Rolland or The Clancy Clown?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

£20 to your nominated charity if we don’t go further than you lot in the beer cup?

I’m not a gambling man, sorry. Find someone else.

anagallis_arvensis

You big girl DD. Its not gambling its a bit of fun with a charitable donation. Wrecker and I will have the ysual tenner on england wales, although I am not confident this season

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Whether I was confident or not, I wouldn’t choose to have any of my money riding on a game a_a, much less the prospect of donating to a charity not of my own choosing. I have my own reasons for this, but I don’t feel any less masculine for them. Let’s just leave it there ok?

anagallis_arvensis

Ok princess

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Edit.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Rolland AA. Woeful for the game. Pens all over the place. I think Ulster had 14 in the end which is crazy considering they were the dominant home team.

No worries DD. Banter only it is!!

anagallis_arvensis

Blindmelon are you Yoda?

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Well I’ve played too long in the front row so probably more Jabba than Yoda!

Pigface
    Free Member

AA got to have the last word/dig? Why?

anagallis_arvensis

Why not, he’s happy to start a bit of banter and then gets all precious. Calling someone a big girl is hardly the crime of the centuary.

anagallis_arvensis

You should try running round the fat lads george
    http://sport.bt.com/video-01363814401986?videoid=3007070188001

wrecker
    Free Member

Can’t see the video, is it the marler tackle? Thing of beauty.
    Did you see George flatten the little quins wing?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Oooh Glos got thumped today, even when Sarries were down to 13 men they still outscored Glos! I think the Cherries pack needs one of those reversing klaxons..

Viewing 40 posts - 1,841 through 1,880 (of 3,963 total)

The topic ‘2013/14 Rugby Thread’ is closed to new replies.