2013/14 Rugby Thread

Home Forum Chat Forum 2013/14 Rugby Thread

Viewing 45 posts - 1,576 through 1,620 (of 3,963 total)
  • 2013/14 Rugby Thread
  • a-a, was referring to the fact he was lucky not to have been carded for fighting

it didn’t progress beyond hand bags did it? I watched the game on fast forward as I missed the first half. Spikey has been excellent in recent years getting on the tits of the opposition, yesterday was the first time in ages I’ve seen him over stamp the mark. Quade really got to him.
    Some massive tackles in that game by the welsh Phillips on Quade, North on Cummings and Hibbard on some poor ****. Quade and Lialifano got round the blitz brilliantly though.

Pigface

I thought he was a pro rugby player not some piss head down Caroline Street at 2 in the morning, thanks for pointing out my error AA πŸ˜‰

I reckon a pro rugby player should be targeting the player very obviously making the major difference between the two teams. He just over stepped it

toemul

stamping on hands or ankles like that is for s*it bags.

DanW

Great game Wales vs Aus with plenty of exciting moments and big hits throughout πŸ˜€

Aus thoroughly deserved the win as Wales barely had any territory or possession. There seemed to be a conscious decision to run everything even from the 22, which as much as it makes sense to not kick aimlessly to the Aus back 3, did mean Wales spent most of the time in their own half under pressure.

From an Aus point of view, I think that is the best performance I can remember seeing from the forwards. Did to Wales what Wales do to most other teams. Wales gave SA a fair battering so Aus definitely stepped it up. This gave them the quick ball for the backs to do pretty much whatever they fancied and it seemed they had a bit longer without someone like Jon Davies in the centres. The whole Aus team just clicked and at the end of the day they played the better rugby.

From a Wales point of view, yes they lost, but the score stayed close even with a lot of players missing and with such little territory and possession. Normally Wales manage to dominate a games against the SH and still lose, so not really being in the game and keeping the scores close is very un-Welsh! Also credit to them to keep going for the full 80 minutes after such a quick game and so many tackles! Biggar didn’t have the best game which perhaps didn’t help the territory side of things but ultimately I think the Aus forwards just shut everything down so fast it was always going to be tough for Wales. Wales also looked a lot less threatening for points with 1/2p passing on the kicking and he seemed to be struggling with something all game which is slightly worrying for the 6N.

It looked as though Barnes was trying to emulate Nigel Owens in making a free flowing game and while he didn’t stop the game every 2 seconds the things he did stop it for were very hit or miss. Bit weird for both sides. Phillips should be cited but I wonder what punishment a bite carries? No wonder Coppoer wasn’t rushing to the ref for the TMO πŸ˜†

Only other thing ref-wise that irked me was Aus screaming and hollering non-stop in the Welsh (and Barnes’s) face every time they got a penalty or something went their way. It was like watching NFL with how full of it they were. I know it is all gamesmanship but still πŸ˜‰

Oh and Marshall and Williams were great in commentary- really loved the banter and passion all the way through πŸ˜€

Edit: Sorry for the long post!!!

beiciwr64

Saracens boss Nigel Wray claims the Welsh regions want to join the English Premiership to secure their long-term future.

Here[/url]
    Can be good news for the Welsh regions if it happens.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Ooh yes agreed. Why not a uk wide premiership?

Welsh regions would need some serious investment if they were to compete. Do the regions stick.with WRU money or go with the premiership. Not sure what it would mean for team wales other than obviously no gamrs out of the international window.

DanW

So there are too many clubs in the Heineken cup and relegation is causing English clubs currently in the premiership a lot of financial instability and uncertainty… so a solution is to combine both of these to an even greater degree within a domestic league? I’m sure the Irish will then join the Top 14, Italy will be happy to go back to domestic leagues and Scotland will cease to field any meaningful club sides. Hmmm…. a nice enough idea in principle but I don’t see this ever happening! Is Wray suggesting that the RFU support Welsh regions since the Welsh clubs currently struggle for funding from the WRU??? That either means the RFU cease to exist or less pennies to the English clubs. This sounds more like trying to cause friction ahead of sorting out the ERC mess…

wrecker

They should have to start in the champ IMHO. Have a season where the top 4 or 5 get promoted. Teams like LW, Leeds and brizzle have been grinding away to get promotion, seems fair they should get the chance to be part of an expanded AP.

duckman

Several of the championship teams have bigger budgets than the welsh provinces…and as stated,championship/lower prem sides are about as likely to support this as turkeys are to vote for xmas. Why did cooper bite him,couldn’t he reach spikeys balls with his free hand?

toys19

Ooh yes agreed. Why not a uk wide premiership?

Indeed, I don’t understand why we don’t already have this.

Tom B

Because other than the big 3 Irish clubs they’d all end up in the championship.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Why did cooper bite him,couldn’t he reach spikeys balls with his free hand?

Too busy trying to retrieve the actual ball?

tinybits

But I could see a ring fenced 3/4/5 nations ‘league’ with 2 groups of say 16 teams, with the two coming together in a play off that actually means something. I think it’d be great to watch.
    Nothing whatsoever to back this up though!

Pigface

Because other than the big 3 Irish clubs they’d all end up in the championship.

Do you think?

You could do it like the NHL with clubs in the lower divisions being feeder clubs. It hasn’t happened yet so can’t see it happening in the future.

Because other than the big 3 Irish clubs they’d all end up in the championship

given similar funding levels I doubt it. Crowds would increase a great deal too at the welsh regions, playing Bath or Gloucester would pull a much bigger crowd than Connaught or Zebre

lying on the floor trying to play the ball! Deserves a stamp!

DanW

But I could see a ring fenced 3/4/5 nations ‘league’ with 2 groups of say 16 teams, with the two coming together in a play off that actually means something. I think it’d be great to watch.
    Nothing whatsoever to back this up though!

I almost sounds like a slightly revised Heineken cup! What everyone seems excited to propose is a European Cup which already exists. Sounds more like Wray still trying to stir up the ERC stuff and get a Wales/ England breakaway format

DanW

If they can get him playing for the Dragons won’t Phillips have a full house of Welsh Regions πŸ˜† Has anyone played for all 4 regions I wonder???

On the stamp:

Citing commissioner Murray Whyte has analysed the incident and felt it unworthy of any sanction

Interesting to know at what level a stamp or bite become worthy of sanction especially considering people like Ritchie Rees have been out for a while for things like eye gouging on far less convincing evidence!

treading on a hand and eye gouging are not really comparable acts are they?

Pigface

AA it isn’t worth getting into a discussion with you on that topic πŸ˜†

Well I trod on many a half back in my playing days and pulled fingers in mauls but never gouged anyone. The fact that he’s not been cited suggests others agree. I’m suprised though I thought it was worth a few.weeks.rest.

Premier Icon jambalaya
    Subscriber

I think the citing commissioner took the view that Cooper was as guilty for his retaliation. It was certainly a unpleasant, more of a squeeze than a stamp perhaps, arguably the bite was worse. I suppose we won’t hear so much about Horwell’s conduct know.

@DanW – no problem with long posts on a rugby thread. Wales where down 30-16 I recall, not close and Aussies missed a couple of sitters. All credit for coming back and I think the players missing did make a big difference but Aussies knew they had it won.

Tom B

Cipriani for England I say πŸ˜€

Can’t see it happening but he seems to have sorted himself out is playing very well indeed.

Premier Icon jambalaya
    Subscriber

Mr Phillips is coming to Paris, Racing Metro app says so. Lions partnership at 9 and 10 then.

Premier Icon jambalaya
    Subscriber

anagallis_arvensis – MemberΒ 
    9, 10 and 12!

So @aa big points for you not pointing out you’d seen Phillips was going to Racing 4 hours before I posted. Most kind of you.

Racing posted that they’d be speaking to Phillips about next season already and that the Bayonne incident just accelerated things. It’s seems he may possibly play against Quinns. On a related note Racing are playing that game in Nantes, why play a home game 3 or 4 hours away, is your Parisian home support really going to travel ?

DanW

9, 10 and 12!

… and Jon Davies will be partnering Fofana in the centres at Clermont Auvergne which should be fun for the opposing centres! Let’s not foget Priestland could end up with him too.

It isn’t great to see so many Welsh heading for France but some of the partnerships and combinations are looking exciting.

It was interesting to read Jon Davies’s various interviews and he said that the best games he has played have been in European Cup competitions and that is something that particularly attracted him to Clermont. Something that doesn’t get too mentioned (at least by the players for obvious reasons I guess) is the relative weakness of the Rabo and general lack of success of the Rabo teams (Irish excluded) in Europe. I guess the feeling you don’t have too much to play for at a club like the Scarlets must be setting in which is a real shame for a league in need of a boost. The flip side to that is that playing week in week out in a more competitive league with more pressure to play and perform for the club than they might be used to could be mentally and physically fatiguing. It might be a complete misinterpretation but I can’t see a team investing half a million a year in him being as accommodating to rest and so on as one would imagine the Scarlets are. Could be way off base but just a thought…

DanW

Just checked the Clermont squad… Davies doesn’t just have Fofana to partner in the centres but Regan King, Benson Stanley, and Rougerie. Even if one or two leave with Davies arriving it is pretty ridiculous the talent some of the French squads have.

lay and perform for the club than they might be used to could be mentally and physically fatiguing. It might be a complete misinterpretation but I can’t see a team investing half a million a year in him being as accommodating to rest and so on as one would imagine the Scarlets are. C

no shit Sherlock! Scarlets are funded by WRU so do as they are told.

Premier Icon muddydwarf
    Subscriber

Cipriani for England I say

Can’t see it happening but he seems to have sorted himself out is playing very well indeed.

Dallaglio said something similar on BTsport’s rugby show. Said he was playing better and more consistently than other players further up the England pole.
    Whilst i’m glad he’s got his act together and is both playing well – and playing as a team member – i don’t think he’ll get a look at an England shirt and i’d rather he was with Sale TBH. We need him and his style doesn’t appear to be what Lancaster wants. I’m just happy we have a 10 who can get things going a bit.

duckman

molgrips – Member

Why did cooper bite him,couldn’t he reach spikeys balls with his free hand?

Bottom of a ruck is not really the natural habitat of 10’s is it?

DanW

A_a, I just wonder if the big name players making the move realise the different demands from the club’s they’re likely to face. They must have it in the back of their minds but I imagine the demands could come as a bit of a shock having had a comparatively easy life in the regions

surfer

He is outstanding at the moment for Sale. His all round game is excellent even his tackling πŸ™‚
    Full house on Saturday. Try, conversion, penalty and drop goal 😯 we still lost πŸ™

Premier Icon jambalaya
    Subscriber

The current trend to go to France is interesting from the perspective that “originally” you did so on the basis you where giving up playing internationals based upon the selection rules (either written or implicit). So for a lot of players that meant extending their career whilst earning very good money. It was also good for the clubs as they could field strong teams when other sides where weakened by international call ups.

What’s different here, certainly with the Welsh is they hope to be selected for Wales and would seem to have a reasonable basis for doing so. I think it’s fair to say most of the English don’t expect (or even want ?) to be picked.

It would be a bit bloody difficult to pick a wales squad without any of the foreign based players. Presumeabke the reality is the wages in wales from playing for regions and wales dont get near to m matching the offers to play in France so a family man who wants to provide for his family may turn his back on team wales or at least take the risk. I imagine the differential for the English is less stark hence why less current england players have gone.

doof_doof

AB’s cleaned up at the IRB awards.

New Zealand number 8 Kieran Read has been named the IRB Player of the Year 2013. The All Blacks were named IRB Team of the Year for the seventh time and Steve Hansen the IRB Coach of the Year for the second year in succession.

New Zealand won all 14 of their Test matches during 2013, a feat that has never before been achieved in the professional era.

tinybits

AA, I thought that the welsh regions had a higher salary cap than the English clubs? I know the Irish certainly do. However, if this is true, why is it manly welsh players going? Theres certainly talent in the English league that seems to stay around.

beiciwr64

Wales would struggle if an overseas rule was enforced,don’t have enough quality players to choose from.
    Just a few injuries and they have to drag them out of the academy to play.:-)
    It’s a constant struggle for strength in depth.
    Scotland is the same England have few more players to choose from so not such a deal if they play overseas.

Havent got the figures but I’d be utterly astonished if the ospreys and scarlets together squad cost as much as Saffercens alone. The Irish players get a massive tax break. The welsh players are going due to the size of the pay packet.

DanW

I don’t think it is any surprise why the Welsh are heading for France- Money. Since most in the first team are multiple 6N winners and successful Lions their stock has never been higher too. Time to cash in.

What’s different here, certainly with the Welsh is they hope to be selected for Wales and would seem to have a reasonable basis for doing so. I think it’s fair to say most of the English don’t expect (or even want ?) to be picked.

As others have already said, the idea of a current international heading over and trying to combine increased demands at club level compared to playing in the regions (less control over rest periods for example, possible management of injuries, increased pressure to play injured, etc) on top of maintaining a high level of form come international time is somewhat new and more of a worry.

tinybits

Ive been having a hunt around, and (yet again) I’m wrong

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/wales-rugby-regions-agree-salary-1801638

Wales Β£3.5m, Engladshire, Β£4.2m (cap – not the same as spend), however I can’t see how Saracens, Bath, Leicester, Hairyquims and Northampton stay under it, so possibly 30% more? That’s quite a bit more per person, so I can see why it happens.

The other factor is how much do current england players get paid for playing for england compared to welsh players playing for wales.

Viewing 45 posts - 1,576 through 1,620 (of 3,963 total)

The topic ‘2013/14 Rugby Thread’ is closed to new replies.