Viewing 40 posts - 1,241 through 1,280 (of 3,963 total)
  • 2013/14 Rugby Thread
  • wrecker
    Free Member

Gosh. Humbling indeed.

anagallis_arvensis

As long as they’re back for the RWC, does it matter? A lot of the time, injuries allow new players to come through.

we are at the stage where we will have to pick jobbing pro’s who will never be good enough

wrecker
    Free Member

Perhaps, but it’ll improve the strength of the squad. More game time for the players who don’t usually start.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Time for a rugby music petition? Can we find Scotland a decent anthem and ban swing low, sweet chariot at England matches.

After that sack the Scotland marketing muppet who signed this kit contract. How can anything make England’s purple nightmare look good.

aracer
    Free Member

Gosh – you expect SA to win easily, but that just looked far too straightforward for them. I mean it was obvious what they were going to do, and they just did it.

gordimhor

Sad to see Van der Westhuizen has motor neurone disease. I thought he was a great player. Expect the springboks will give him a win to watch today. Still more in hope than expectation Come on SCOTLAND!

duckman

I have two options; it’s our ball, we take it and walk away, match abandoned. Plan b; we are quite close to the bar; a few pints and it won’t matter: this is going to go VERY badly for us.

Pigface
    Free Member

If you want to see a bad tackle check out Georgia Canada brawl on rugby dump 😯 how only 2 were sent off is a mystery.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Oof tough 60 seconds 😆

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Ok AN, heres your chance…

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Oh no what a let down. I’ve waited 40m for AN first comment and there wasn’t a hint of positivity there.

wrecker
    Free Member

I felt sorry for the Argentina forward who tackled Phillips when he had his hands on the ball and gave away a penalty for offside. Phillips did have his hands on the ball, the replays showed this and the Argentina player said this. The referees reply wasn’t to ignore it or march Argentina back 10 for back chat, instead he said something along the lines of “I don’t care if he had his hands on the ball, I don’t want you taking any chances, don’t come round in future”

I saw this, the argies pointed out that Phillips had his hands on the ball and IIRC the ref said something like “doesn’t matter, it wasn’t out”. In the eng/NZ game the ref had a completely different opinion and called that the ball was out as soon as the 9 put a hand on it. Very confusing.

anagallis_arvensis

Wish TJ was here he’d still believe Scotland can win this and go on to dominant the six nations. I miss him.

Pigface
    Free Member

+1

anagallis_arvensis

Laidlaws passing is awful.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Lovely display of footballing skill from Scotland this half 😀

Tom-B
    Free Member

Woohoo here comes Eben…..methinks that him and big Jim will get along great!

anagallis_arvensis

Or am I getting them mixed up the nines passing was shit but then they bought on a ten who is even worse.

boxfish
    Free Member

Not sure about nematodes. The pitch looks like it’s mole-infested.

anagallis_arvensis
    DanW
    Free Member

I saw this, the argies pointed out that Phillips had his hands on the ball and IIRC the ref said something like “doesn’t matter, it wasn’t out”. In the eng/NZ game the ref had a completely different opinion and called that the ball was out as soon as the 9 put a hand on it. Very confusing.

When the 9 has hands on the ball in a ruck it is ball out whereas the 9 can have hands on at the base of a scrum without it being out, the ball is only out when it is beyond the back foot (of course when the ball is beyond the back foot in a ruck it is also out)… does this sound right to those with more rugby knowledge?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Great game, and we had a great win.

Sad new about Francois Louw mind, we won’t know the outcome until tomorrow..

Just need to find it on Iplayer as I was driving home when the match was on.

duckman

Dan; soon as hand(s) are on the ball the scrum/ruck/maul is over and the person playing it becomes the offside line. However if you wildly swing a foot at the ball as it is getting played expect to be offside 8)

Pigface
    Free Member

Why were the Scots playing in that ridicuous costume? Dont the sarfricans have an away strip?

Duckman what are the rules about wrestling a player off a ruck by the neck which seem in vogue these days.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Also when did the rules change to make the home team, rather than the away team, change strip in the event of a clash.

Is replacing navy blue in the saltire with a turquoise part of the post 2014 planning!?!? Modernisation gone too far…..

duckman

It is purple and has been on the strip for about a decade;represents heather dontchaknow. Home team has always changed strip AFAIK

wrecker
    Free Member

Also when did the rules change to make the home team, rather than the away team, change strip in the event of a clash.

It’s always been that way in Rugby although nowadays they sometimes agree to part with convention (to sell more shirts).

Although what big jim did was legal, I can’t see how it can remain so. Someone’s going to get their shit severely ****ed up soon.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’m getting increasingly riled with shirt changes, notable in the HC as well.

There should only ever be a shirt change if there’s a clash. So, for example, when Wales play Tonga, and both are in red, one changes. When Scotland play France, both dark blue, so a change, etc.

Just changing to an away strip willy nilly is marketing guff and annoying. Even more so when some of the away shirts are so chuffing horrid!

DanW
    Free Member

Dan; soon as hand(s) are on the ball the scrum/ruck/maul is over and the person playing it becomes the offside line. However if you wildly swing a foot at the ball as it is getting played expect to be offside 8)

So does that basically mean that it is so hard to referee that area that refs would rather not have anyone challenge for the ball as soon as the 9 get hands on otherwise everything would become quite messy?

On the subjects of referees, although I did not catch all of the game, the team in charge of the Eng/ NZ game seemed to do a far better job than some of the others we have seen this November. Easy to criticize but I think some credit is due to them (unless those that watched the full game feel otherwise of course 😀 )

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I wasnt (as) worried by ling purple, ( thanks for the explanation) it was the ghastly turquoise. But I’m with flashy on the shirts thing. Ditto all the fireworks and other crap that seem to be part and parcel of modern international. It’s not the bloody X factor.

But I must be old, it was always away team to bring extra shirt in case of a clash in my day. Note that fAlshy calls them Away strips which is a hint that may be he is as old as me!!!!!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

You’re only as old as the man you feel, old chap! 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

Duckman; if you’re caught on the wrong side of a ruck and prone with your arms up (so as to demonstrate that you’re not interfering) as you cannot roll away or remove yourself from the ruck; is there any reason you could not communicate to your team mates when the opposing 9 has hands on the ball? Is it bad form?

duckman

Dan; in theory you could grab the 9, in practise he is moving as he takes the ball and will be protected by his own forwards. Swinging a boot is usually pinged as dangerous play. Wrecker,yell away; the ball will be in the 10’s hands before anybody can react. Ever tried calling the ball into the scrum as a wing forward, “ready,ready…aw crap” 😆

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

He was about 80 when I passed him the soap in the pool showers this morning Flashy!!!! 😉

wrecker
    Free Member

Ever tried calling the ball into the scrum as a wing forward, “ready,ready…aw crap”

Yep. Same with “ball gone”, they all moan if you stop calling it though.

ijs445ra
    Free Member

I glimmer of hope for Scotland this weekend !

6 Oz players serving internal bans for boozing

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/24983640

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

So they may have been hungover for the game? Jeez, how much would they have scored if they’d had clear heads. 🙂

neninja
    Free Member

Looks like the Aussie coaches are taking pity on Scotland. Scotland need to hope that another 6 Oz players are out on the lash during the week.

duckman

Must be some culture there that Deans allowed to develop. I mean guys in rehab or at London Irish that would suggest to the rest that getting on the lash while on national duty isn’t going to be tolerated anymore.

toys19
    Free Member

Dean Ryan’s analysis of England’s performance is spot on here.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2013/nov/17/england-wide-boys-limitations-new-zealand

PS- I don’t monitor club rugby so much, I wonder who is in contention to usurp Tom Youngs as our replacement hooker, unless he improves his accuracy I don’t want to see him the 6N..

Viewing 40 posts - 1,241 through 1,280 (of 3,963 total)

The topic ‘2013/14 Rugby Thread’ is closed to new replies.