Viewing 40 posts - 1,201 through 1,240 (of 3,963 total)
  • 2013/14 Rugby Thread
  • anagallis_arvensis

Him and the winger are clones of each other right?
    Kudriani looks good, they’ll shift the right winger back to 13 and he’s bloody good too.
    Not sure who will be 13 for Wales. Cory Allen did well but it will be a massive step to play Aus and he went off injured.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Yeah it was the crim 11 that looks like a 118 118 fella…him and Hooper do look similar though!

As for England….very encouraging really-missing a few key players and still made as good a game of it as just about anyone else this year.

Backs are pretty dire though. No confidence in Dickson, Farrell isn’t a 10 and the rest bar Brown may as well not be playing.

Little over 6 months ago Brown was as bad as anyone in world rugby….fast forward to now, play him in his proper position and he’s been player of the Autumn. It’d be lovely to have two out and out wingers on the pitch at some point in the future!!

Pigface
    Free Member

Oh sorry was it a winger, wasn’t really concentrating. I shall sit on the naughty step 😆

anagallis_arvensis

At this rate Wales will have the Gavin Henson and Scott Gibbs centre partnership v Aus.

wrecker
    Free Member

Well done Wales for saving the pride of the home nations. That’s a solid win against the argies.

Kryton57

Just watched the England game and although we lost we did well. Should be a good team when the “a” backs and front row play. 🙂

Barrit an tuilagi with Yarde and Wade could be formidable or at least enough. Ashton and what’s-his-name at 13 need to go. Brown cemented his place with Foden on the bench for me in that team.

I think we could easily win the 6n based on that performance and without Ashton.

Kryton57

P.s. I told you Ashton would get drawn in – who owes me a fiver?

Tom-B
    Free Member

Yeah how the **** Ashton ended up as the last defender 20 meters in from touch after 30 seconds is frankly baffling!

duckman

Did you see Ashton berating the defense for not tackling at last AB try? Some folks have no self awareness…And what was with the booing of AB kicks at goal? Still,bloody good of England to take their hooker off to ensure t kiwis went through the year unbeaten,cracking game and England’s best performance of year so far. Why would Lancaster do that,was Hartley injured? Wales also looked really good,but need to wrap gethin and Adam in bubble wrap between now and Jan. So car crash time this afternoon 😐
    AA that was a straight red after 30 secs,let alone 8 to go. Reinforcement of that has been given to refs at all levels with emphasis on second tackler being the one tipping. That one looks just like the irb video. Imagine that as a job,OK guys thus morning you and Trevor leota are going to demo a high tackle,hopefully just need a few takes,then some lunch and tip tackles with Sam…

Pigface
    Free Member

Ducks I think Hartley got his bell rung making a tackle.

anagallis_arvensis

AA that was a straight red after 30 secs,let alone 8 to go. Reinforcement of that has been given to refs at all levels with emphasis on second tackler being the one tipping. That one looks just like the irb video. Imagine that as a job,OK guys thus morning you and Trevor leota are going to demo a high tackle,hopefully just need a few takes,then some lunch and tip tackles with Sam…

I agree but then the ball is supposed to be put in the scrum straight too!
    I just thought it looked accidental and clumsey rather than dirty. It wasnt as bad as Sams world cup error. Wonder what sort of a ban he will get.

Yeah I think England will easily win the six nations too but not without Ahston!!! 😉

Kryton57

anagallis_arvensis – Member
    Yeah I think England will easily win the six nations too

Yes, he said it.

Hartley knocked himself out on McCaws hip during a tackle and couldn’t walk straight. It’s a shame because Tom Youngs ineffective throwing in really helped us lose possession we so vitally needed at that point.

Robshaw will be nursing a shiner this morning – ouch!

toys19
    Free Member

All the tip tackles I have seen looked accidental. Apart from one particular incident…
    I don’t think that’s the point though. It is the tacklers responsibility to make sure he doesn’t have/cause an accident…

Mega dissapointed with Ashton, I had always hoped he was going to sort himself out, I think it is time to replace him.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Yeah Hartley couldn’t walk straight! Great turnaround of fortunes for Hartley this Autumn. …back as number one choice for me. Robshaw’s eye will look pretty horrific today I’d guess!

anagallis_arvensis

Technique is a big thing in tackles, a few pages back I posted a video of Warburton highlights. What struck me on watching it was the number of times he lifted players in tackles prior to the world cup semi. He has clearly worked hard on not doing this since. In most of the cases in the build up to the semi and the red card another player came in and it changed the tackle. For example in the 1/4 final he creamed OGara, it was only Charteris in that stopped it getting nasty.
    I am not trying to say the aussie shouldnt have got red I was simply reacting to the idea it was intentional or dirty also had it not been the ladt ten mins anyway it would have been a tougher decision for the officials.

toys19
    Free Member

I didnt think it was intentional either, but how can you judge it clearly anway, I guess I just default to benefit of the doubt.
    Interesting thoughts on warbs, I imagine his red stole a lot of his head space after so I can see what you mean about getting the technique right.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

it would have been a tougher decision for the officials.

Our forum official says it would have been a straight red. Along with an international ref, a touch judge and a TMO. I’m happy to go with that.

DanW
    Free Member

Wales looked good yesterday. To look completely in control despite so many errors and missed tackles (25% tackles were missed in the first 20 minutes!) is reassuring and quite un-Welsh. The defense wasn’t really up to the usual standard and Argentina made some easy yards but they looked far, far better in attack. I’m certainly not a Biggar fan but he did seem to get the backs flowing far better. The lesser experienced players didn’t look out of place either and did very well (besides Lee!). Tipuric and Warburton looked like a good combo and Tips gives you that extra link between the forwards and backs- a bit like having another centre at times. Good to see Halfpenny used in attack and that really seemed to help get outside the Argentina defense. Faletau was awesome too.

I think this difference with Wales with Biggar playing as he did also goes to show what England could be with a 10 with decent distribution. Farrel might be defensively strong and a reasonable goal kicker but he’s like the spikey Mike equivalent distubution-wise of fly halves 😀 (OK so Phillips has been playing pretty well recently but you get the point).

Why was Farrel replaced so early? Things seemed to go downhill with the him and Dickson replaced, not to mention the chubby centre’s throwing. As other have said the forwards must be distraught all their hard work is in vein as soon as the backs got their hands on the ball. I don’t think the forwards as a unit can be criticized and were pretty awesome. What NZ did very well especially early on is use the desire of the English players to smash NZ out of the park in tackles to draw players out, ride a bit hit and put others in space. Using England’s individual over-enthusiasm early on was pretty clever and shows why NZ are where they are in world rugby.

Only saw the first half of Ireland but it looked a mess 😀 Lots of individuals, hardly any cohesion in the forwards and the ball thrown out to the backs early and left to fend for themselves- you can’t expect Bowe or Kearney to smash through a pair of locks on a regular basis. Bit weird given so many individuals with such potential (or reputations I guess). The positive for Ireland is this now means they will win the 6 Nations following the successful Wales model- “Poor in November, a 6 Nations to remember” 😀

Pigface
    Free Member

Lawes who has often been a liability was very good yesterday.

What will befall Scotland today?

mikey3
    Free Member

Can the scots keep S.A. to below 50 points today? I think about 47-15 to the boks

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

AA, I am with you on the intent/dirty aspect. Bad tackle yes, against the laws yes, warrant a red, probably yes, full intent to be dirty, not really. But I always thought that Warbs was hard done by.

Only watched the first half of Ireland match before swapping to Eng highlights. it was quite a shock to see the score. I blame the shirts.

Lawes seem to be getting a good write up to day. May be fair, but I find it strange that someone with such physical prowess doesn’t break more tackles. Sheridan was the same for me. Big strong blokes who seem to go to ground far too early/easily. I thought England would be mashed down the middle but old 36 had a pretty good match in my opinion. Foden was a disappointment for me though.

Shame as someone else said ( was it Duckman?) to hear the the traditional Murrayfields jeering of kickers now being heard at Twickenham. Poor show.

wrecker
    Free Member

Regarding Lawes size, I was surprised to see that the stats showed that Launchbury is heavier!
    I hear that Lawes brother is coming along well, and even bigger than he was at that age(!)
    I can’t give Foden too much shit, he’s being played out of position and outside of a pair of centres who struggled all game.

anagallis_arvensis

Warbs wasnt hard done by as the ref got it right. Problem is others often get away with it such as Ferris on Evans.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

AA, I am with you on the intent/dirty aspect. Bad tackle yes, against the laws yes, warrant a red, probably yes, full intent to be dirty, not really. But I always thought that Warbs was hard done by.

Probably? You appear to have access to footage or rules to which the ref, touch judge, TMO and our resident level 5 referee don’t? None of them appear to say “probably”. Intent to be dirty means nothing. You tip a player over drop him on his head (though, fortunately for O’Mahony he didn’t come down on his head in this case.) One can talk about intent all one wants. It’s a fruitless discussion as in this case, it doesn’t matter.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Of course it doesn’t matter, like 100% of debate/banter on here Darcy!

As dear old pitbull says, the only person who matters is the ref. Funnily enough I am sure that the same far-more qualified group have access to better knowledge and views on feeding at the scrum, deliberate blocking of chasers, constant offside with kickers etc, runners offside in last weeks try against Wales etc. I will remember not to comment on any of that in future.

Good to see the reaction of the guy carded though. Clealy not a Wendy. Just wipes his nose in the shirt, no backchat and just straight off without dissent or argument.

DanW
    Free Member

True it is a fruitless discussion as none of us can influence any outcomes but the consistency of the application of the laws of the game must be as frustrating for the players as it is us fans.

As a_a says, it isn’t so much any injustice (or not) on a single incident but the fact so many other similar incidents get very different outcomes. In the Wales game North I think it was completely upended someone, legs up in the air, down on the head and neck yet no-one even so much as mentioned it. Common sense would say there was nothing in it but the law doesn’t say so.

On other law related stuff, Phillips put the ball to the second row in half the scrums as did SA last week yet this is supposed to be one of the big crackdowns. I think Phillips only got pinged for it once.

I felt sorry for the Argentina forward who tackled Phillips when he had his hands on the ball and gave away a penalty for offside. Phillips did have his hands on the ball, the replays showed this and the Argentina player said this. The referees reply wasn’t to ignore it or march Argentina back 10 for back chat, instead he said something along the lines of “I don’t care if he had his hands on the ball, I don’t want you taking any chances, don’t come round in future”… basically giving Phillips as much time to fanny around as he likes in the future. It would be nice to see some of the referees less involved as personalities but more as enforcers of the law.

In Wales news: Cory Allen looks to have dislocated his shoulder and Scott Williams has foot or toe ligament damage. Henson’s phone will be ringing soon 😆

Carter also looks to have aggravated his long standing Achilles injury which can’t be good

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

As dear old pitbull says, the only person who matters is the ref. Funnily enough I am sure that the same far-more qualified group have access to better knowledge and views on feeding at the scrum, deliberate blocking of chasers, constant offside with kickers etc, runners offside in last weeks try against Wales etc. I will remember not to comment on any of that in future.

Of course they will get that stuff wrong occasionally. The ref can’t go to TMO for every decision, so those ones will always be up for debate – part of the fun. What I’m pointing out to you is that you can “probably” all you want, but as our resident level 16 official has stated, and the three officials who reviewed it with the help of video evidence, there was no “probably” about it. I can’t see why you’d think it was “probably” a red.

Also, the fact that other players have “got away” with it is no mitigation.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Again I agree DD, so let’s stop debating any incident and rule infringement in future. You are as correct to “ping” me for the completely wrong use of the word probably earlier, as the ref is to ignore the word of the law at nearly every scrum or kick in open play.

At least you can (correctly) claim the moral high ground (unlike the myopic ref who picks and chooses 😉 )

DanW
    Free Member

Even with TMO evidence there is still room for “probably” and opinion whether it be the opinion of refs or fans. Hartley’s recent block for the try against Aus was “a block but not quite enough of a block.” One of the worst examples would be in the Samoa vs SA spring game the Samoan 15 grabbed the balls of one of the SA’s in a ruck, the TMO said this, and the ref when armed with this information gave a penalty. Is that what the laws say? There are countless examples so opinion from all concerned will always be part of it all…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Oh bugger off you big Wendy!! 😀

Edit: that one at thm.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

There are countless examples so opinion will always be part of it all…

Tru dat. Just not in this particular case.

anagallis_arvensis

The habit of refs referring it to the video ref, watching the big screen and then telling the video ref what to say really pisses me off.
    Lacey’s yellow card on Tips was harsh imo.

DanW
    Free Member

The habit of refs referring it to the video ref, watching the big screen and then telling the video ref what to say really pisses me off.

Totally agree! The ref has the benefit of others to help make a decision so use them, especially if asking for extra help in the first place

anagallis_arvensis

If Allan and Williams are broken, christ knows Hook and Beck?… ****….that Roberts Davies Williams and Allen. If Eli is fit we may see North at 13.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I agree a_a. We’re not that far off an NFL style review system.

All we need now is an “Unnecessary Roughness” offence. 🙂

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Unusual to see Andy Nicoll being so upbeat about Scotland’s last performance 😉 My highlight to the rugby weekend starts now….makes someone else (cough) look totally unbiased in his views!!!

wrecker
    Free Member

If Allan and Williams are broken, christ knows Hook and Beck?… ****….that Roberts Davies Williams and Allen. If Eli is fit we may see North at 13.

As long as they’re back for the RWC, does it matter? A lot of the time, injuries allow new players to come through.

aracer
    Free Member

What struck me on watching it was the number of times he lifted players in tackles prior to the world cup semi. He has clearly worked hard on not doing this since. In most of the cases in the build up to the semi and the red card another player came in and it changed the tackle. For example in the 1/4 final he creamed OGara, it was only Charteris in that stopped it getting nasty.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=POr1EiXjLiA

Indeed – 2:17 in that video for those who can’t be bothered to watch the rest – had Charteris not been there it would quite clearly have been a red card offence.

anagallis_arvensis

Well that made me cry! 🙁

Tom-B
    Free Member

Dusty in here to a_a. What a bloke!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1,201 through 1,240 (of 3,963 total)

The topic ‘2013/14 Rugby Thread’ is closed to new replies.