Viewing 40 posts - 1,001 through 1,040 (of 3,963 total)
  • 2013/14 Rugby Thread
  • toys19
    Free Member

But has he scored a try against england? If not he has failed to deliver!

No, but he has scored a fair few pens and the odd conversion.

anagallis_arvensis

Wilkinson, did he ever score against england though?

ijs445ra
    Free Member

Simon Danielli scored a try against England 😆

toys19
    Free Member

No, Wilko did not, and even you think he is crap QED.

Pigface
    Free Member

Wilkinson is not crap but he is not “the walk on water” rugby god the media or england fans makes out. Arrrrrgggghhhhh must not get involved 😆

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Alas not. He must be crap 😆

He did score all the points beating the boks with a broken hand though

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Wilkinson is not crap but he is not “the walk on water” rugby god the media or england fans makes out.

Hear, hear!

Great place kicker, really good all rounder, but sadly had to do waaaay too much of the back row’s job for them as Larry Dayglo was too busy showboating. Hill was the REAL star of that era for my money. One of the best back row players of a generation.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Has Gatling mentioned anything about the Argies being the team that Wales most like to beat yet?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yeah, I mean how shit is wilkinson?!? Being a No.10 and doing the back row’s job too. Average.

duckman

I played against Hill,well to be honest was on the pitch in a different strip at the same time. Best back row forward in the UK so far in the pro era.

On the above benchmark

Andy Craig has scored a try against England. (not getting to live that one down toys)
    So has Rob Dewey.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Best back row forward in the UK so far in the pro era.

Agreed in full.

DD, not saying that Wilkinson is bad, as such, in fact, I rate him very highly. Just agreeing that he’s not the sainted water-walker, as mentioned above! He certainly seems to be enjoying his rugby in the sunny South of France these days, and that’s great to see!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I believe he was a personal friend of O’Flashearty’s. Hill that is.

toys19
    Free Member

(not getting to live that one down toys)

Nothing to live down, I’m happy to help the blind see.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I did indeed play with him a loooooong time ago, at schoolboy level in a county side ’tis true! Used to bump in to him around Salisbury in the years after that, too.

Even then, he was streets ahead of the rest of us. Seriously impressive player.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Wilkinson has more WC winning drop goals than the whole of the other five of the 6N put together. 🙂

duckman

deadlydarcy – Member
    I believe he was a personal friend of O’Flashearty’s. Hill that is.

Posted 36 seconds ago # Report-Post

Did I read that he has already had a knee replacement?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

No, my knees are fine, thanks. 😉

toys19
    Free Member

Wilkinson has more WC winning drop goals than the whole of the 6N put together.

This is the measure of a good player, only Wilko and that saffer dude who landed about a billion of them on us in the 90’s.

Edit Jannie De Beer 5 bloody drop goals. Although the were not the winners, it was Joel Stransky who did the winning drop goalagainst NZ.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Andy Craig has scored a try against England.

No I haven’t (see email addy)

Hill was indeed the man in ‘that’ backrow.

wrecker
    Free Member

“That” back row was so good because of balance. They complimented each other.

DanW
    Free Member

Did I read that he has already had a knee replacement?

A quick search would suggest he has has a knee replacement at 36 years old 😯 It could be a uni rather than a total but even so he is going to be struggling after the undoubtedly several revision surgeries by as early as 50-55 years old 😥 Poor guy! Can’t see much stopping him as he seems very active in fundraising and so on

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – Member

I did indeed play with him a loooooong time ago, at schoolboy level in a county side ’tis true! Used to bump in to him around Salisbury in the years after that, too.

Even then, he was streets ahead of the rest of us. Seriously impressive player.

Odd, I called you on this last time, and you retracted saying it was a different Richard Hill… 😉

I’ll pass on your regards to him in the morning.

anagallis_arvensis

reading not a strong point of yours is it.

toys19
    Free Member

so aa is this still friendly banter or have you reverted to type? Cos I am trying to keep this civil.

tinybits
    Free Member

A-A, FFS, you may have the odd bit of abuse on here, Zokes, toys etc, but seriously, do you have any idea how you come across a lot of the time? You’ll no doubt say ‘prove it or ‘show me where I said’ or something like that, but really, it’s the impression, as opposed to something direct.
    I like this thread, but your ability to start an argument in an empty room really grates.

I know, I know, they all started it……

anagallis_arvensis

I really do not appreciate people taking what there mind thinks i have said and then chucking it back in my face. You can be as cival as you like but criticising someone for something they havent even said makes you a **** in my eye. If people dont like that then tough. And thats not aimed at you tinybits its aimed at the people who have such a myopic view of the world they cannot seem to work out what reality is.
    Isay something along the lines of Wilkinson is a very very good player but Larkham was better and toys fails to read and just presumes I think he’s shit. It says more about him than me imo.

toys19
    Free Member

No, you started what I thought was a reasonably amusing bit of banter about if someone scores against England or not based on a little meme you wanted to created to take the piss out of me.
    Which I did not object to and ran with. Hence my Wilko comment, I thought it was funny a bit of a comeback on your pisstaking, and a good opportunity to not carry on arguing, every one else joined in too. I honestly for a minute there thought you might have taken a deep breath and considered that sometimes you can be a bit dismissive and abrasive, and that you would just try and keep the peace.

But then as it was a page later and you thought nobody was looking you decide to try and stamp your “rugby brain authority” on the thread again.

anagallis_arvensis

WTF are you talking about? I dont understand that.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

To repeat for you two -“Roll Away”…… 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

FFS, stop!

toys19
    Free Member

well THM and CFH, I had stopped, but AA could not resist another dig. I don’t see why I should roll over and take it.

Kryton57

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    FFS, stop!

+1

But only cause is like to see the thread continue. For sheer entertainment value please do carry on, but somewhere else still visible to us all.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Wilkinson was a superior 10 to Carter, just saying. He’s not at that same level now but he’s still better than Sexton and the rest in the 6N currently. Flood will stay in England till after the World Cup, Farrell could get injured and he’ll still be picked in the squad so he’ll get to play in a home RWC.

tinybits
    Free Member

Flood will stay in England till after the World Cup,

Not sure about that, clearly 2nd place to player who’s not even first choice English flyhalf at his own club!!, and a lucrative deal from France beckons, plus he’s out of contract next season.
    If I were his, I’d go, safe in the knowledge that should Farrell be injured, he’ll still get a call up, but probably won’t be picked as a bench warmer.
    Do i sound bitter? Well, I guess that’s because I am!

Pigface
    Free Member

Wilkinson was a superior 10 to Carter, just saying.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha just saying 😆

anagallis_arvensis

well THM and CFH, I had stopped, but AA could not resist another dig. I don’t see why I should roll over and take it.

so I am supposed to accept you making up things about me even when they are pretty much the opposite of what I have said. I can only think you mind creates these things based on your own prejudice. Please dont try and paint a picture of me as an anti english bigot. I find that offensive.

When I say Wilkinson is a very good player and you bang on about me thinking he’s shit I feel like you are trying to make me out to be something I’m not.

toys19
    Free Member

Look you have misunderstood me, I was trying to join in with what I thought was your banter.
    Before you mentioned Wilko you you said in response to others criticsim of Sexton:

Which to me (and my prejudiced mind) looked like a bit of low level banter aimed at me. So far so good.
    Nobody responded to your witticism so 3 posts later you tried again.

My prejudiced mind responded in kind a few times here, and later on.

as did Blindmelon and duckman, who took it a bit further.
    My responses were good natured. As was my response to you

, this can only be seen as a joke, in line with yours. You postulated the notion that Wilko had not scored against England (which was ridiculous as he is English, which was funny by any measure) and I responded with the equally ridiculous notion that because he had not, then he must be crap (you did him down slightly, so for the sake of the joke I used artistic licence and extended it). This was not my prejudice, it was my attempt to respond well to the banter, and try and keep the arguing down.

So if you take the time to read this you will see my intention was different. Call it the Edinburgh defence, but I was just responding to a joke with another joke.

So I will apologise. I am sorry. It was not my intention, so if I made you feel that I was trying to make out you were something you are not then that is my mistake.

Pigface
    Free Member

Toys chapeau, good man.

AA please lets draw a line under this, this thread is such good value.

One of the reasons that england is so unpopular (for me at least), to listen to the media you would think that tomorrows game against the All Blacks is akin to a world cup final. All Blacks out for revenge, england pack to dominate, Carter to wear gold boots pah who does he think he is, bloody upstart. england for the win as thay have the psychological edge after giving them such a thrashing las year.

I havent heard anything about the other home nationas at all.

toys19
    Free Member

I havent heard anything about the other home nationas at all.

Caveat-I’m not defending it, just attempting to understand/explain:
    This is down to a London/England centric media right? The media just respond to demographic, there are 53.5 million people in England, 5.3 million in Scotland, 3.1 million in Wales and 1.8 million in Northern Ireland. (Sorry Eire, cant find yours, I think its about 4 million, which makes 6 million Oirish). I expect this drives national news content.

I would say I cannot find anywhere that says they expect England to win, apart from the players and coaches. Which to be honest would be very disappointing if the players went on the pitch expecting to lose, they at least have to have the will to win.

BTW-upsets happen, who saw England’s win against NZ last year coming? England were utter shite up to that day, and on the day they looked excellent. I do not expect lightening to strike twice, but it is an amusing fantasy.

Pigface
    Free Member

Toys no need to explain I understand the demographics of it all but it is the British Broadcasting Corporation not the england broadcasting corporation 😆 I am a stranger in a strange land 😉

I wouldnt be surprised for another upset but I am crossing everything for the All Blacks to dish out a humbling with Lawes to get red carded, Ashton to be so embarrassed by his inept performance he voluntarily walks off the pitch and doesnt stop walking untill he reaches the sea, then carries on and Hartley to realise his error of turning his back on the country of his birth picks up the ball and carries it 40yds and scores an own try (if only that was allowed)that is what I want to happen on Saturday 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1,001 through 1,040 (of 3,963 total)

The topic ‘2013/14 Rugby Thread’ is closed to new replies.